AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS2 Owner's Discussion Thread [NO Price talk]

332K views 2K replies 416 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
#628 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilillo /forum/post/19125452

Hey guys so i bought the TC-P65S2 tv yesterday and i started the slides and i dont see any black lines or floating blacks (yes!!!!) my question is before i hook it up to my cable box once the burn in is done. I have hdmi cables and one digital optical one. But theyre like a little over a year old. Thr hdmi cables are dynex, the one that came with the xbox360 elite and a comcast one. Thedigital audio is dynex too. Is it time for new ones? Does image quality fade because of the age on hdmi cables? I was looking at that mono website cant fully remember it but they have good prices. Should i go there for hdni and digtal oltical cables if i need them?

And one last thing, sorry, should i buy a power supply for my plasma?

Thanks!

Cables shouldn't degrade over time. Your existing cables are fine.

Do you mean a surge protector? I like using them, but they aren't going to do anything against a really big surge, like a lightning strike. They're more a convenience for me so I can plug everything into one place and turn it off when I go on vacation.

#630 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/0

Cables shouldn't degrade over time. Your existing cables are fine.

Do you mean a surge protector? I like using them, but they aren't going to do anything against a really big surge, like a lightning strike. They're more a convenience for me so I can plug everything into one place and turn it off when I go on vacation.

Ok good to know im all set with cables and yea i mean a power surge. Idk if its realy recommended for a plasma.

#631 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilillo /forum/post/0

Ok good to know im all set with cables and yea i mean a power surge. Idk if its realy recommended for a plasma.

It's recommended for anything of value , doesn't matter if it's plasma or not. All my equipment is plugged into a surge protector.

I prefer piece of mind for my money. You don't have to spend a fortune on one , I have a Monster for $150.

#632 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 /forum/post/19125645

It's recommended for anything of value , doesn't matter if it's plasma or not. All my equipment is plugged into a surge protector.

I prefer piece of mind for my money. You don't have to spend a fortune on one , I have a Monster for $150.

$150? Ouch. I use a $20 one I got at Walmart. It's all the same electronics inside.

#638 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite /forum/post/0

Not necessarily, joule ratings could be overblown, but using the same company, id use them to compare one model to the next. Tripp Lite is good, well priced stuff.

Ok good to know, ill take a look at them. Ill most likely go with one that just has outlets for my tv, receiver, ps3 xbox dvrbox and maybe my router.

Thanks for the help.

Btw a question about speaker mounts. Where is a good place to get em? Because ive seen price range from 20 bucks to 90 and i know theres gotta be a place where. I can get quality for less

#641 ·
Hey Guys,

Im in the market for either the P50S2 or the P50G25 for my grandma. I am unsure which one to get. I know the G25 has better visuals but i highly doubt she can tell the difference since the program she watches is non HD.

She does not need internet access nor THX but the only thing preventing me from getting it is that someone said on avs that the S2 is more reflective than the G25. However when i looked at the spec sheet, they both have anti-reflective filter. Can someone please comment on this?

My grandma's living is very bright so I want to try to minimize the reflection.

Cost difference is $121.

Thanks!

#642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoots /forum/post/0

Hey Guys,

Im in the market for either the P50S2 or the P50G25 for my grandma. I am unsure which one to get. I know the G25 has better visuals but i highly doubt she can tell the difference since the program she watches is non HD.

She does not need internet access nor THX but the only thing preventing me from getting it is that someone said on avs that the S2 is more reflective than the G25. However when i looked at the spec sheet, they both have anti-reflective filter. Can someone please comment on this?

Cost difference is $121.

Thanks!

If its very bright why would you go with a plasma? Have you considered lcd? If i were to get a tv for my grandma that doesnt know the difference between lcd and plasma and especially if she watchea nonhd i would go with a cheap lcd 60hz that sell for cheap in BB. Idk thats just what i would do

#645 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoots /forum/post/0

Because she likes to watch tv from the dining room table hence needing a wider angle view. I read lcds to not have this.

Gotcha, well ive heard plasmas dontdo well with light, if your room is bright you might aswell get curtains while youre at it.

I just got a plasma and my maim reason was that the quality is muvh better than an lcd but mainly because ill be leaving it in a dark room.

#646 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/19126186

Today's LCDs are good up to about 70 degrees to each side. After that, the image noticeably changes the worse.

My advice? Get the cheapest 50" model you can find. She will not benefit from 1080p, let alone the differences between S and G.

thanks....how do i know if the cheap model have the wide viewing angles?

#647 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilillo /forum/post/19118804

Thank you very much for the info!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ive heard the geeksquad is a ripoff but reading this whole thread ive read that dve and thespears bluray calibrates it very nice after running the alides for 100hrs.

And what do u mean hire a guy from here? They legit come to my house? I live in MA haha

But i am still wondering about the samsung plasma i saw, the pn58c6400, how much of a differce is that plasma with this one aside from the size? And would you recommend this panny over that sammy? And how difficult is to calibrate the tv with the spears and dve bluray? Is it worth spending money for both of them?

Thanks for the help guys! Sry im a noob

Yes, we do the calibration at your home. On an S2 a good professional calibration makes much more difference than a user test disk calibration.

I don't normally go to MA, though. I think I can speak for all of us mentioned above (me, D-Nice, Lion AV) in that we take our job very seriously and will do excellent work for you. I would not say that about a geek. We all have different states we travel around to.

#648 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/19126186

Today's LCDs are good up to about 70 degrees to each side. After that, the image noticeably changes the worse.

My advice? Get the cheapest 50" model you can find. She will not benefit from 1080p, let alone the differences between S and G.

I see noticeable color and contrast degradation just from moving from the center of the couch to the edge of the couch on many LCDs.

I hate it when I go to great pains to calibrate a Sony or Samsung LCD and then every seat in the living room is off axis. That's happened a few times.

Then I calibrated a Sharp Quattron that was mounted above a fireplace, not tilted down. When I stood up, it looked good... When I sat down, faces turned pale and pasty.

#650 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoots /forum/post/19126133

Hey Guys,

Cost difference is $121.

Thanks!

Yes, the S2 picks up noticeably more glare and washes out more in bright light than the G25. I thought it was pretty dramatic when I compared them side by side, but I guess that's subjective. It might not be that dramatic to your grandma.

#651 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 /forum/post/19111748

I agree , no way the 65 is too big.

I sit 13ft from my 67 and love it.

Enjoy and good luck !

If you have to swivel your head from side to side and up and down to watch the content then yes, the screen is too big. Otherwise, nowadays it's all good! I know you'll enjoy your set. We went 50" and easily could have gone 54". Anything larger wouldn't fit the spot. Blocked doorways and such! We sit about 8' and it's great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.