AVS Forum banner
2M views 25K replies 1K participants last post by  TheVolumnus1 
#1 ·

Hard to believe with all the buzz going on that no-one has bothered to open a thread on what looks to be a killer-receiver (to me at least)...

So here goes!

My first question would be the following:

We already know that this receiver will be 11.2 capable with external amplification, but will the internal amps be assignable?

If not, you'll probably be stuck using the internal amps for your 9.2 setup (including your mains) and adding the external amp for a wide/height/SB channel (whatever Denon decides).

If yes, which I much prefer, the 2 added channels of external amplification could be assignable to the front speakers for instance.

This way you could set-up your system with a quality external amp for your mains and keep the internal amps for the remaining speakers...

I admit, I've been out of the game for quite some time (still the owner of an AVR-3801 currently! Hence the interest in the 4311 ) so apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious here, but at this point it's the only thing unclear to me.

EDIT:

Batpig suggested it would be a good idea to make a FAQ section in the first post of this thread and who am I to refuse.

So here goes, the first little FAQ trivia, courtesy of batpig.

Special thx goes out to jdsmoothie for keeping me informed on the FW updates!!!

FAQ

Where can I find more info on this behemoth?
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5414.asp

What is the difference between the 4311ci and the A100?

A100 gets the following over 4311:

- Gloss Finish

- 100th Anniversary badge

- 100th anniversary block condensers

- Gold plated terminals

- Premium upgraded speaker binding posts

- Cast iron feet

- 5 year warranty

- Brand history book

- Inspection sheet

- fancy box

In terms of processing / amps / internals they are otherwise identical.

Which possible combinations of internal and external amps are there?

- You can have ANY combination of internal and external amps. You can power 5 speakers with external amps and 4 with internal... you can power 3 with external and 8 with internal.... you can power 2 with external and 9 with internal.... 9 with external and 2 with internal.... IT'S ALL GOOD. The ONLY thing you can't do is power 11 speakers internally...... because there are only 9 amps built in!

- The ONLY exception is that, because the receiver only has 9 amps built in, when you activate 11 channel mode, the receiver forces you to choose whether the FIRST TWO extra channels will be the heights or the front L/R mains.

How do I activate the preouts?

- You do not need to activate anything. When you are in 11ch mode, ALL THE PREOUTS ARE HOT at all times. You don't have to assign anything or set anything beyond the selection for the first two externally amped channels, the preouts are ALL HOT.

Then what is preamp mode for?

- PREAMP MODE however disconnects the signal from ALL the amps, so you should ONLY use this mode if you are using ONLY external amps for all channels. You cannot "shut off" specific amps internally, so if you will be using any of the internal amps for the main zone, you cannot use PREAMP mode.

A100 Firmware Updates
1. GUI issue fixes and using Party Mode Plus when networking
2. Audio drop out issues (12/22/10)
3. "Blue rain" video issue resolved (1/24/2011)
4. See items added below (7/1/11)
- Last.fm for German. (E2 only)
- It fails in the DPMS update of the firmware when the product is connected with "Control4".
- When Page Up/Down is done in the music list of iRadio, the product is frozen.
- When network connection speed is slow, the error occurs in the display of the FL tube.
- There is a case that the backup data of the parameter etc. initializes.
- There is a case where the network doesn't start.
- When the NSE command of AMX is sent, the data of the answer is wrong.
5. See items below (7/30/11)
- Allow connectivity to new Rhapsody servers
- Improve network connectivity
6. Allow connectivity to Pandora servers (12/19/12)

Note: If you have installed the Airplay firmware upgrade, the firmware version number on your unit will be incremented by 0001.

4311CI Firmware Updates
1. Fixes Party Mode feature, Pop Up menu function, USB functionality and also to the IP/232 controllability.
2. Audio drop out issues (12/22/10)
3. "Blue rain" video issue resolved (1/24/2011)
4. See A100 updates (7/1/11)
5. See A100 updates (7/30/11)
6. See A100 update (12/19/12)

Note: If you have installed the Airplay firmware upgrade, the firmware version number on your unit will be incremented by 0001.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure there needs to be an official thread for this avr right now being it's not even out yet. But it's of course a good idea and I'm glad it's here.

The amps are able to be assigned yes. I think all the new avrs from Denon are able to assign which speakers the amps control. I might be wrong though.

I want vtuner but don't think any denon does that.
I also want a really good UI over hdmi and all sources and non buggy UI/update firmware feature. Rhapsody and Napster would be cool to have as well.

I don't even really know anything about the 4311, but for some reason I think I've read its web page or something. Maybe not, lol. I do want to though. Have to go to denon site again.

I'm interested in this avr being I'm looking for a new avr between $1000-$2000. The 3311 doesn't have what I want so hopefully this will, but I doubt it. I'll probably stick with my thinking of getting the Onkyo 1008, but I'd much rather get a Denon.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/19139583

I'm not sure there needs to be an official thread for this avr right now being it's not even out yet. But it's of course a good idea and I'm glad it's here.

The amps are able to be assigned yes. I think all the new avrs from Denon are able to assign which speakers the amps control. I might be wrong though.

I want vtuner but don't think any denon does that.
I also want a really good UI over hdmi and all sources and non buggy UI/update firmware feature. Rhapsody and Napster would be cool to have as well.

I don't even really know anything about the 4311, but for some reason I think I've read its web page or something. Maybe not, lol. I do want to though. Have to go to denon site again.

I'm interested in this avr being I'm looking for a new avr between $1000-$2000. The 3311 doesn't have what I want so hopefully this will, but I doubt it. I'll probably stick with my thinking of getting the Onkyo 1008, but I'd much rather get a Denon.

Well I did wonder whether I wouldn't be overstepping my bounds by posting it while the product isn't even listed on the denon website, but hey it's here now, might as well use it

You can find a first look here if you're looking for more info:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...-avr-4311ci-fl

Main selling features would seem to be:

- MultEQ XT32 (provided they don't have the same bug that crept into the NR3008/5008)

- 9.2 with 11.2 expandability

- Pre-amp mode

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTreSs /forum/post/19139710

Well I did wonder whether I wouldn't be overstepping my bounds by posting it while the product isn't even listed on the denon website, but hey it's here now, might as well use it

I think generally the "official" XXXX threads pop up whenever someone has enough interest and commitment to a particular product to initiate the thread and continually update the first post with the latest information. Thanks for stepping up!

#5 ·
I don't think the earth is going to stop spinning if this is a week or two "premature". If you want, change the title to the "4311 anticipation thread" and then change it to the "official" thread upon its release.

I'm looking for the whole ball of wax ampl-flexibility-wise, as I have external amplification and 3 zones. That said, I just eliminated the Yammy RX A3000 because their amp assign function wasn't versatile enough. I'm expecting Denon's MUCH more flexible "free amp assign" (which isn't in ALL models, but in the upper range) to be in this unit, which pretty much allows you to assign ANY audio channel to ANY amplifier channel output (there is a slight limitation with the rear/back surround/ and zone posts, but that's mostly inconsequential).

I for instance want to externally power the 7 channels of a traditional array and then internally amplify the remaining (4) presence (in the case of Yamaha) or Wides and Heights (in the case of DSX) channels.

Yamaha simply will not let me do this, only allowing the presence channels to be externally powered, but then you MUST power the other 7 internally. And then on top of that, since the rear presence speakers and zone 3 share the same pre-outs, you lose the ability to run a zone 3.

There's a rather comprehensive list of configs (with the Yamaha) that will undoubtedly satisfy most users, but not someone like me,

I'm sure the Denon will allow me to power BOTH the heights and wides internally and even use 4 of the 5 remaining channels to power zones 2 and 3 if I choose!

FWIW I still believe this will be one of the most capable, feature-packed, hi-performance, value-orinetated AVR's in the history of the industry and I'm dead-serious.

James

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin /forum/post/19139915

I think generally the "official" XXXX threads pop up whenever someone has enough interest and commitment to a particular product to initiate the thread and continually update the first post with the latest information. Thanks for stepping up!

Errrrmm, me no speaky engrish, me no understanding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/19140247

I'm looking for the whole ball of wax ampl-flexibility-wise

FWIW I still believe this will be one of the most capable, feature-packed, hi-performance, value-orinetated AVR's in the history of the industry and I'm dead-serious.

James

same here. I will use this in my setup as described, but in the future I would want to use the internal amps to distribute the audio around the house for the most part.

I have yet to find fault with anything I've found on this receiver and it pretty much has anything I could ask for.

The only caveat would be the price as here in the EU it's rather difficult to find the deals the guys in the US seem to find all the time

I hope that the msrp of 1999$ will translate to a lower price...

Especially since I will probably try to pick one up as soon as it gets here and that pretty much means that you'll always be stuck paying full MSRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19140336

If this is going to be the "official" thread, the title & thread should also include the AVR-4311CI's spruced up Denon anniversary sibling, the AVR-A100.

AJ

Done and done

I have to say I rather like the look of the A100, but no way it's worth the premium price they will be asking for it especially since it offers nothing extra t'echnically compared to the 4311 afaik.

I'm sure there's enough other people out there with money to burn though.

#8 ·

Ditto.

I'm in love with Marantz SR7005, and can picture it as the center piece of my system. But then this beast comes along and, well, sometimes you have to go with your head and not your heart.

Decisions, decisions

#9 ·
You mean you don't believe iron feet inherently signify a marked increase in sound quality?

James

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers /forum/post/19141131

Ditto.

I'm in love with Marantz SR7005, and can picture it as the center piece of my system. But then this beast comes along and, well, sometimes you have to go with your head and not your heart.

Decisions, decisions

trust me, I don't think your heart will be disappointed.
Why give up what you have to give up with the Marantz? That's the way I looked at it anyway.

James

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/19140247

I'm expecting Denon's MUCH more flexible "free amp assign" (which isn't in ALL models, but in the upper range) to be in this unit, which pretty much allows you to assign ANY audio channel to ANY amplifier channel output (there is a slight limitation with the rear/back surround/ and zone posts, but that's mostly inconsequential).

Not entirely inconsequential. I asked Denon support a couple of weeks ago about bi-amping off zone 2. They informed me the bi-amping only works for fronts.

Why would I want to do this? Well, I only use 5.1 for home theater and and I don't care to rip out or add in new in-walls. I have much nicer in-wall speakers B&W Sig8-NT in my Kitchen/Dining area. These are driven by a carver pro amp today which is very nice (pre-amp is zone2 off an older 4306 which is to be replaced by either the 4311 or A100).

If I were able to assign bi-amping to zone 2 I'd get rid of the power amp and simplify my set up.

So yes while the amp assign looks very good all in all, it's not quite as flexible as I'd like.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta /forum/post/19141836

So yes while the amp assign looks very good all in all, it's not quite as flexible as I'd like.

I think when you are worried about bi-amping Zone 2 you are officially at the outer limits of what consumers could possibly want in terms of amp assign flexibility

I will note that you actually CAN bi-amp the secondary speakers if you are willing to run them as "B" speakers. Obviously you would lose the ability to do true "zone" audio with separate sources in the two rooms, but you can do "Front B Bi-Amp" and set up the nicer B&W in-walls as dedicated 2-ch music speakers with two amps each.

Or, just keep using the Carver amp, which is not only free, but is almost certainly more powerful than even bi-amping from an AVR. A receiver's amp section isn't going to stand up to a Carver pro amp.

#16 ·
I wonder what it means when they say 7500 Internet radio stations. Anyone know?

Anyone know what the GUI will be/look like and if someone could post pictures when possible of the gui?

I hope update firmware will work and give accurate status update progress info.

I wonder when it comes out and when it'll be on Denons site.

I'm going to compare it to the onkyo 1008 and pioneer elite 3 models and the 3 yamaha aventage new ones.

Not sure what else to compare it to.

#18 ·
I'll be an early user....if

My key decision factors: Audyssey Multeq xt32, ability to power off amps

I've been living with the Emotiva UMC-1 for months now and I am ready to move to a box that just works when you turn it on. I'm just hoping the 4311 makes the grade...