AVS Forum banner
2M views 25K replies 1K participants last post by  TheVolumnus1 
#1 ·

Hard to believe with all the buzz going on that no-one has bothered to open a thread on what looks to be a killer-receiver (to me at least)...

So here goes!

My first question would be the following:

We already know that this receiver will be 11.2 capable with external amplification, but will the internal amps be assignable?

If not, you'll probably be stuck using the internal amps for your 9.2 setup (including your mains) and adding the external amp for a wide/height/SB channel (whatever Denon decides).

If yes, which I much prefer, the 2 added channels of external amplification could be assignable to the front speakers for instance.

This way you could set-up your system with a quality external amp for your mains and keep the internal amps for the remaining speakers...

I admit, I've been out of the game for quite some time (still the owner of an AVR-3801 currently! Hence the interest in the 4311 ) so apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious here, but at this point it's the only thing unclear to me.

EDIT:

Batpig suggested it would be a good idea to make a FAQ section in the first post of this thread and who am I to refuse.

So here goes, the first little FAQ trivia, courtesy of batpig.

Special thx goes out to jdsmoothie for keeping me informed on the FW updates!!!

FAQ

Where can I find more info on this behemoth?
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5414.asp

What is the difference between the 4311ci and the A100?

A100 gets the following over 4311:

- Gloss Finish

- 100th Anniversary badge

- 100th anniversary block condensers

- Gold plated terminals

- Premium upgraded speaker binding posts

- Cast iron feet

- 5 year warranty

- Brand history book

- Inspection sheet

- fancy box

In terms of processing / amps / internals they are otherwise identical.

Which possible combinations of internal and external amps are there?

- You can have ANY combination of internal and external amps. You can power 5 speakers with external amps and 4 with internal... you can power 3 with external and 8 with internal.... you can power 2 with external and 9 with internal.... 9 with external and 2 with internal.... IT'S ALL GOOD. The ONLY thing you can't do is power 11 speakers internally...... because there are only 9 amps built in!

- The ONLY exception is that, because the receiver only has 9 amps built in, when you activate 11 channel mode, the receiver forces you to choose whether the FIRST TWO extra channels will be the heights or the front L/R mains.

How do I activate the preouts?

- You do not need to activate anything. When you are in 11ch mode, ALL THE PREOUTS ARE HOT at all times. You don't have to assign anything or set anything beyond the selection for the first two externally amped channels, the preouts are ALL HOT.

Then what is preamp mode for?

- PREAMP MODE however disconnects the signal from ALL the amps, so you should ONLY use this mode if you are using ONLY external amps for all channels. You cannot "shut off" specific amps internally, so if you will be using any of the internal amps for the main zone, you cannot use PREAMP mode.

A100 Firmware Updates
1. GUI issue fixes and using Party Mode Plus when networking
2. Audio drop out issues (12/22/10)
3. "Blue rain" video issue resolved (1/24/2011)
4. See items added below (7/1/11)
- Last.fm for German. (E2 only)
- It fails in the DPMS update of the firmware when the product is connected with "Control4".
- When Page Up/Down is done in the music list of iRadio, the product is frozen.
- When network connection speed is slow, the error occurs in the display of the FL tube.
- There is a case that the backup data of the parameter etc. initializes.
- There is a case where the network doesn't start.
- When the NSE command of AMX is sent, the data of the answer is wrong.
5. See items below (7/30/11)
- Allow connectivity to new Rhapsody servers
- Improve network connectivity
6. Allow connectivity to Pandora servers (12/19/12)

Note: If you have installed the Airplay firmware upgrade, the firmware version number on your unit will be incremented by 0001.

4311CI Firmware Updates
1. Fixes Party Mode feature, Pop Up menu function, USB functionality and also to the IP/232 controllability.
2. Audio drop out issues (12/22/10)
3. "Blue rain" video issue resolved (1/24/2011)
4. See A100 updates (7/1/11)
5. See A100 updates (7/30/11)
6. See A100 update (12/19/12)

Note: If you have installed the Airplay firmware upgrade, the firmware version number on your unit will be incremented by 0001.

See less See more
#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio /forum/post/19143493

I'll be an early user....if

My key decision factors: Audyssey Multeq xt32, ability to power off amps

I've been living with the Emotiva UMC-1 for months now and I am ready to move to a box that just works when you turn it on. I'm just hoping the 4311 makes the grade...

I am sure will be a step up.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry /forum/post/19146982

So, does anyone have information about when the 4311 will actually be available for purchase? There is an "Anniversary countdown to October 1" on their website. Does this mean it won't be available until then?

I hope Denon would release it earlier before October 1.

I have 'pre-ordered' a unit with local distributor as well. I am in hunger for a new AVR.

Added on:

Interesting specs on Sub EQ HT:
http://www.audyssey.com/aboutus/pres...y-now-on-avrs-

It can integrate 2 subs with Sub EQ. We potentially could save on an extra AS-EQ1.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldjoe /forum/post/19147104

I hope Denon would release it earlier before October 1.

I have 'pre-ordered' a unit with local distributor as well. I am in hunger for a new AVR.

Added on:

Interesting specs on Sub EQ HT:
http://www.audyssey.com/aboutus/pres...y-now-on-avrs-

It can integrate 2 subs with Sub EQ. We potentially could save on an extra AS-EQ1.

Thx for the link ronaldjoe, I had been wondering about this as well, as it was mentioned in the audioholics preview but I could not find anything on this.

Apparantly this would be included in the MultEQ XT32 so receivers such as the NR-3008/5008 should have this as well.

Damn, and here I was hoping that this would be another reason to get the 4311 over the 3008/5008

Since it's not, I'm even more eager to get to know the price here in the EU as that will become the determining factor for me.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTreSs /forum/post/19147512

Apparantly this would be included in the MultEQ XT32 so receivers such as the NR-3008/5008 should have this as well.

Damn, and here I was hoping that this would be another reason to get the 4311 over the 3008/5008

Since it's not, I'm even more eager to get to know the price here in the EU as that will become the determining factor for me.

According to the discussion on the Audyssey thread, any AVR that has XT32 also has Sub EQ HT.

IMHO, one of the significant difference between the Onky 3008/5008 and the 4311CI is the fact that the Onkyo's are not installer-ready. If you ever want to upgrade to MultEQ Pro, you can't with the Onkyo's.

#35 ·
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k /forum/post/19148179

Other than xt32, sub ht and wpc how does this differ from the 4810?

They (4311, AVR-A100) are slightly less powerful than the 4810. But other than that... same thing, to be compared to Onkyo's 5007 / 3008

Now if you look closely into a picture of the inside of a 4311, you will clearly see that there is space left to add 2 additional amplifiers.

Which make me think that the 4811 (or a future 4812) will probably be a full 11.2 receiver (with 11 amplifiers)... and I would bet here that this will also be the case of next year's Onkyo range, with a new 11 channels MC5500 amplifier.

Just my (humble) guess.

Hugo