AVS Forum banner

Seattle, WA - Comcast

2M views 16K replies 1K participants last post by  LHenton 
#1 ·
I officially have no new news! However, I wanted to have a thread that I could subscribe to. After Ken took away our little "ATT advertising HDTV" thread, I felt that we needed a new little home to gripe and whine about the fact that Comcast still isn't delivering locals.

I will try to get Ken to send out a note to those subscribed to the other thread.

Cheers,

Steve

#15,123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle /forum/post/19121468

Binaural --

Digital Starter includes FSN, ESPN, and ESPN2. HD is an additional $8/month. Call 1-800-COMCAST.

Can this be turned and off at my request? I'd like to start FSN, ESPN, and ESPN2 in the fall and cancel in Jan. In fact I'd like to cancel all cable TV in Jan and restart it in Sept. Is this feasible?

#15,124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf1410 /forum/post/19177959

Assuming that comment was addressed at me, I have a mid range package. I have a comcast box on 2 tvs, but one with just QAM and a switch...I do get HD on 4-1, 7-1, just not 5-1...or 15-2...

Time to call Comcast. One of their "contractors" may have put a trap on your line in error.

I was disconnected a couple of weeks ago because of a boo boo in the Comcast computer! I pulled the plug on Comcast TV last November (and returned my Cable Card), but apparently, there was still a disconnect in the residential service database. I had switched to a Comcast Business Class internet account. The two divisions don't communicate with each other very well... the old "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" cliche.

#15,125 ·
Anyone have any ideas about what to do or recommendations for amplifiers for a weak Comcast cable signal? Old style cable works fine through a VCR, my HDTV breaks up a lot though and the tech said there was a weak signal and its most likely the panel where everything comes into our apartment building. I'm up at 145th and Bothell Way NE. Had an HDTV as well as a comp with my FusionHDTV card working flawlessly before at 105th and Lake CIty Way as well as HSI.

#15,126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 /forum/post/19188607

Anyone have any ideas about what to do or recommendations for amplifiers for a weak Comcast cable signal? Old style cable works fine through a VCR, my HDTV breaks up a lot though and the tech said there was a weak signal and its most likely the panel where everything comes into our apartment building. I'm up at 145th and Bothell Way NE. Had an HDTV as well as a comp with my FusionHDTV card working flawlessly before at 105th and Lake CIty Way as well as HSI.

Why not use one from Comcast? I don't know their policy but I would think they could provide you with one. I have one on my house, it's small, doesn't require any special wiring and it cleaned up my signal. You do have one problem I see and that is since you live in an apartment\\condo you probably have to put an amplifier at each outlet since you don't have access to the source wiring. In addition, the signal may be routed to other units. Kinda surprised the tech did not offer you at least one amp. Maybe the signal is so degraded even an amp won't help?

#15,127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar /forum/post/19189265

Why not use one from Comcast? I don't know their policy but I would think they could provide you with one. I have one on my house, it's small, doesn't require any special wiring and it cleaned up my signal. You do have one problem I see and that is since you live in an apartment\\condo you probably have to put an amplifier at each outlet since you don't have access to the source wiring. In addition, the signal may be routed to other units. Kinda surprised the tech did not offer you at least one amp. Maybe the signal is so degraded even an amp won't help?

I was thinking of calling them back up and asking about that. Only thing I found on this thread that might help is that Electroline EDA-FT08300 distribution amplifier that might help as I am feeding 1 HDTV, 1 VCR, 1 computer with a FusionHDTV card for TV capture and 2 computers for HSI. PS, the thing that he put on the line inside my unit was a CommScope (I think) digital tap of some sort.

#15,128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie_raitt /forum/post/19180395

Can this be turned and off at my request? I'd like to start FSN, ESPN, and ESPN2 in the fall and cancel in Jan. In fact I'd like to cancel all cable TV in Jan and restart it in Sept. Is this feasible?

On further research it appears that ESPN3 will be available for free on the XBOX 360 in Nov.(assuming you have XBOX Live account). I think I'll try it out. If it works it would seem all I would need is a good HD antenna and the XBOX 360 to get everything I mentioned. I already have 2 Tivos that should handle OTA.

Any comments from ayone reading this? TIA

#15,131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie_raitt /forum/post/0

Can anyone point me to a chart with Comcast pricing structure? I'm looking for the cheapest package that will get me local HD channels. Thanks

Bonnie, that would be Limited Basic, which is 12.95 I think plus extra for the HD cable box.

#15,132 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie_raitt /forum/post/19201573

Can anyone point me to a chart with Comcast pricing structure? I'm looking for the cheapest package that will get me local HD channels. Thanks

I switched to antenna last November. Happy! Free!

I got a card in the mail from Comcastic... X-Finity, basic plus HBO for 12 months @ $9.99/mo.

Had to check that out...

But...

The CSR I spoke to said I could NOT get a Cable Card for my TiVo with Limited Basic! I think if you speak to the right CSR you might be able to???

#15,133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarm /forum/post/19204551

I switched to antenna last November. Happy! Free!

I got a card in the mail from Comcastic... X-Finity, basic plus HBO for 12 months @ $9.99/mo.

Had to check that out...

But...

The CSR I spoke to said I could NOT get a Cable Card for my TiVo with Limited Basic! I think if you speak to the right CSR you might be able to???

The CSR is lying.

#15,134 ·
So, I had a "WTF?!" moment earlier tonight. Apparently on 9/13, KMYQ became KZJO (JOEtv). This comes with good news and bad news. The bad news, the WWE (I am a fan) does not have a contract with JOEtv. The good news, I can watch the episodes a day late on YouTube until 10/1 when they switch WWE SmackDown to Syfy.

#15,137 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 /forum/post/19219171

I had that motorola box until recently, and it still didn't always work with my recordings.

What did you switch to? I've been contemplating biting the bullet and going back to TiVo, however, ultimately I'm planning to just drop comcast and go with Dish because their stuff is pretty good and they have all the HD channels I want. Plus no ads in the guide.

#15,138 ·
Largest box I know of, and it is available in this area, is 500GB. I don't know the exact number, but it might be something like DCX3450M where the M stands for multi-room which is a feature supposedly being turned on by end of year and also requires new STB which is not available yet.

Hit or miss on getting one though. Really wish they would allow you to reserve one and when available, pick it up. Current method is pure luck, you need to be there on the day there get a new shipment.

#15,139 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrak /forum/post/0

What is the newest, highest capacity HD DVR box that comcast offers currently? Is it the DCX3400? I want to get rid of my current motorola pos that freezes constantly and screws up my recordings.

Buy a TiVo, you won't regret it

#15,140 ·
What are all of the fees that I should expect to have with two TiVos, each with one Mcard and no Comcast receivers or DVRs?

I know about the following:

- Base package (digital starter, digital preferred...)

- HDTV fee ($8.00)

- Additional outlet fee ($6.10)

Should that be all, other than taxes and franchise fees?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.