AVS Forum banner

GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

729K views 6K replies 686 participants last post by  Mccglastron1972 
#1 ·
I didn't see a post about this yet. A new speaker company named GoldenEar is set to launch any day now. Sounds interesting.

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.c...echnology.html

"One of the best things about big trade shows like CES is running into old friends. I was glad to get the chance to catch up with Definitive Technology founder Sandy Gross, who recently parted ways with the company that he founded in 1990 (and sold to Directed Electronics in 2004).

Sandy is a purposeful guy, so his presence in Las Vegas is an obvious indicator that something big is in the works. As it turns out, that something is a new company: GoldenEar Technology. Sandy's longtime engineering partner and co-Def Tech founder Don Givogue is onboard with the new company, which means that we'll likely be seeing exciting stuff from them in the near future. No details are available to share yet, but given this duo's history of turning out high-performance, high-value speakers, I'd lay odds that something along those lines is in the works. Al Griffin"

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/ces20..._you_but_then/

Yeah, it's one of those kinds of things. We're sworn to secrecy (hopefully not too much longer), but we were one of the few who were given a glimpse at a new speaker line from a brand new company called GoldenEar Technology. New companies come into existence all the time, of course, but what makes this one so special is the fact that it's being started by Sandy Gross and Don Givogue, two of the founders of one of our (and many, many other' people's - if all of the stellar reviews and impressive sales numbers are anything to go by) favorite speaker brands, Definitive Technology. Gross was also one of the founders of another speaker brand you might have heard of: Polk. So when we heard Sandy Gross was working on a new speaker, our ears started to tingle (and not just from being at CES for several days). We can't tell you many of the details, but what we saw was elegant, affordable, and has all the makings of another blockbuster line of gear. To use a Vegas analogy, it's the kind of thing you might get if Frank Sinatra and Elvis had a love child. (Yeah, I know it's not biologically possible, but this is Vegas, after all...)

See less See more
#3 ·
Website is now up, no info but a start...

http://www.goldenear.com

Post from another site...

07-25-10 09:19 PM - Post#861747

Def-tech founder Sandy Gross has a $2,500 per pair speakers that is designed to compete with the top Def-Tech speakers coming out this fall. Will they be better?

They aren't bipolar but they have the Heil folded ribbon tweeter. Some say it could be a killer.

Sandy Gross' successes include Polk and Def Tech. The parent of Def Tech let him walk out the front door and compete. Can you say Internet Brands? I can and Golden Ear has 60 dealers before they have a website. Relationships matter. ---

Jerry Del Colliano

Publisher

HomeTheaterReview.com

HDTVetc.com

#15 ·

Quote:
"We can't tell you many of the details, but what we saw was elegant, affordable, and has all the makings of another blockbuster line of gear. To use a Vegas analogy, it's the kind of thing you might get if Frank Sinatra and Elvis had a love child."

I predict speakers which incorporate elements of blue and gold lamé.

#16 ·
I truly hope this secrecy is not in vein... seeing how many brands are dwindling in quality and performance. It is my hope that this can be a refreshing start of a good company offering inspiring performance options in a market flooded with mediocre mid range products and grossly overpriced high end ones where one is left to question if the marginal gains are really reflected in the exponential price increases...

#17 ·
Home Theater Oct. 2010 issue [pg. 20] has a little teaser with some pics [sure look like Def Tech Mythos towers].

The Trition 2 will have a matching center [SuperSat 50C] and surrounds [SuperSat S3] but not cost mentioned.

Yep it will feature a folded ribbon tweater known as a HVFR, front mounted 5x9 long throw drivers [kinda like the Mythos I'd guess], 2 x side 7x10 radiators with a powered sub using a 1200 watt sub with some sort of DSP [Programmable Logic Device -DLP].

Sandy could always pack a lot techno in small rather inexpensive cabinets.

Only available in gloss black as best I can tell

#18 ·
I am sure this going to seem very odd, but when I went to the goldenear website my very first split-second impression was that of a cigarette carton.

#20 ·
Sure there is. There's the quote in the middle of the page and the yellow box on the lower right that links to Sandy Gross's picture.

My comment was based on my first impression of the the layout of that page. I don't know why but I thought of a cigarette carton.

#25 ·
Home Theater Magazine had an article on the new GoldenEar Triton2 speakers.

My first impression was, "Damn, they look like the Mythos towers!
"

And I was hoping for something that could be an "upgrade" to the DefTech BP7000SC!

Like puting dual acitive 15" subwoofers into an even bigger cabinet than the BP7000 - like maybe 60" high.

But if GoldenEar will just copy the Mythos speakers, then what is the big deal?

#26 ·
 http://www.avguide.com/article/golde...wo-loudspeaker

The Triton Two Tower is a high-performance loudspeaker with a built-in powered subwoofer. It is designed for superb performance in both high quality two channel stereo systems as well as in multi-channel home theater and music systems.

The built-in powered subwoofer section incorporates a GoldenEar designed 1200 watt DSP controlled digital amp to drive two front-mounted quadratic 5x9 long-throw subwoofer bass drivers which are coupled to two side-mounted quadratic 7x10 planar infrasonic radiators. The amp has a PLD (Programmable Logic Device) based state machine with a 278nS update time to manage a myriad of functions including soft-clipping, DC offset control, output-stage anti-saturation protection and discrete multi-band limiting. Intrinsic THD is extremely low so very little negative feedback is required thus ensuring optimum transient performance.

There are two 4.5 GoldenEar-designed cast-basket high-definition bass/midrange drivers which are arrayed in a D'Appolito configuration around the tweeter. The drivers incorporate a unique Multi-Vaned Phase Plug (MVPP) as well as a proprietary computer optimized cone topology which helps them to achieve smooth linear response extending beyond 20 kHz. Even though they are crossed over at 3.5 kHz, the extended bandwidth and smooth resonant-free response well beyond their crossover point helps them to achieve near ideal performance in the range in which they are utilized.

The high frequency driver is a proprietary High Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) design. The tweeter diaphragm is a high temperature film, which is folded like an accordion and positioned within an intense neodymium magnetic field. Unlike more conventional dome or ribbon tweeters which push the air, the HVFR develops higher pressure and velocity by squeezing the air out between the pleats of the diaphragm. The result is better impedance matching to the air in the room with greater control, smoother more extended response and dramatically improved dynamic range.

Dimensions: 48 tall x 5.25 wide (at the front), 7.5 wide (at the back) x 15 deep (cabinet)

Rec. amplifier power: 20-500 watts per channel

Frequency response: 16 Hz - 35 kHz.

Retail price (USD): $1,249.99/ea.

GoldenEar Theater:

· Matching center channel speaker SuperSat 50 C

· Matching rear/side surround speakers SuperSat 3