AVS Forum banner
474K views 2K replies 484 participants last post by  rural scribe 
#1 ·
ok so whats the best 3d bluray movie to get so far?? i plan on buying one today. i did a little research but its between cloudy,monsters vs aliens , and monster house unless i hear different from u guys.

#2 ·
I own all three of those and quite honestly I enjoyed Monsters Vs. Aliens the most. It has the best CG of the three, in terms of story it's something both adults and children can enjoy for different reasons and in terms of 3D effects there is good depth and more pop-out "gimmicks" than the others. It exhibits a bit more ghosting than the other two but it still is my favorite 3D presentation so far.

Lots of folks have also raved about Ice Age 3D and Grand Canyon. I don't own either of those and refuse to pay the ridiculous eBay prices so I can't comment.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19222882

I own all three of those and quite honestly I enjoyed Monsters Vs. Aliens the most. It has the best CG of the three, in terms of story it's something both adults and children can enjoy for different reasons and in terms of 3D effects there is good depth and more pop-out "gimmicks" than the others. It exhibits a bit more ghosting than the other two but it still is my favorite 3D presentation so far.

Lots of folks have also raved about Ice Age 3D and Grand Canyon. I don't own either of those and refuse to pay the ridiculous eBay prices so I can't comment.

what do u mean by ghosting??

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG /forum/post/19223032

There is only two movie to choose from, Cloudy with a chance of meatballs and Monster House. Everything else is an exclusive right now, unless you are buying a starter kit.

Bunch of stuff coming in November.

yeah ive noticed that, i got somebody picking up cloudy from best buy and it only had that and monster house.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joels1010 /forum/post/19223452

I like grand canyon the best, the 3d in that one really pulled me into the documentary. Also, the opening credits with the water bubbles were really cool!

GC has the best few scenes--but gets old fast. My favorite 3D is AIX Records Goldberg Variations Acoustica, my adult sons agree(but then again, they are musicians).

#21 ·
quick review of the 6 3D movies I have:

Ice Age 3 - good fun and great 3D

Coraline - this is a love it or hate it movie, but I love it. good 3D

Cloudy - fun, good 3D

Monsters vs Aliens - fun, great 3D

Monster House - kind of disturbing overall, but has its moments. great 3D

Clash of the Titans - not particularly fun though it has its moments, awful 3D

not sure if I'll ever watch Clash or Monster House again (once each), but the rest I've seen several times and still consider good investments.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by div3r5ity /forum/post/0

what do u mean by ghosting??

The technical term is "crosstalk", which is a double image, or ghost, of objects on the screen. It's very distracting and currently is the major way 3D quality is measured. However, it's not necessarily the movie that has the issue, it's the TV. Plasma TVs are the best displays when it comes to watching 3D. The technology is so much faster than LCD/LED that it's naturally resistant to crosstalk. It becomes very noticeable once you see the difference. If 3D is a priority, STAY AWAY from LED TVs. They are much more expensive and are far worse than Plasma for 3D! DLP Mitsubishi TVs are also very good for 3D......very little crosstalk. PQ not quite as good as the best Plasma displays but you'll get the biggest screen for your dollar.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro /forum/post/19225894

The technical term is "crosstalk", which is a double image, or ghost, of objects on the screen. It's very distracting and currently is the major way 3D quality is measured. However, it's not necessarily the movie that has the issue, it's the TV. Plasma TVs are the best displays when it comes to watching 3D. The technology is so much faster than LCD/LED that it's naturally resistant to crosstalk. It becomes very noticeable once you see the difference. If 3D is a priority, STAY AWAY from LED TVs. They are much more expensive and are far worse than Plasma for 3D! DLP Mitsubishi TVs are also very good for 3D......very little crosstalk. PQ not quite as good as the best Plasma displays but you'll get the biggest screen for your dollar.

gotcha, yeah i got a 73 mits and watched cloudy last night and it was straight. thanks

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by khee mao /forum/post/19225449

quick review of the 6 3D movies I have:

Ice Age 3 - good fun and great 3D

Coraline - this is a love it or hate it movie, but I love it. good 3D

Cloudy - fun, good 3D

Monsters vs Aliens - fun, great 3D

Monster House - kind of disturbing overall, but has its moments. great 3D

Clash of the Titans - not particularly fun though it has its moments, awful 3D

not sure if I'll ever watch Clash or Monster House again (once each), but the rest I've seen several times and still consider good investments.

cool, thanks. i didnt really like clash in 2d so im not gonna get that . i prob get mva and ice age and goldberg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.