AVS Forum banner

Sports Champions: a top-tier gaming experience with the Move

16K views 147 replies 41 participants last post by  joeblow 
#1 ·

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/19222230

Not really. It seems to calibrate your necessary range of movement based on size. Making a child/dwarf reach as far as a full grown man would be unfair. From a seated position, where the Move "sees" you as being only about 2' tall, you can play table tennis pretty well. The only part that gets a bit difficult is the Z axis movement.

Z-axis is mostly what I meant. Approaching the net for slamming lobs and aggressively returning rally hits or fading back to defend against slams coming at you is important in real TT and works pretty well here also. I wonder if you can cheat Z-axis calibration to fully play it sitting down?

#28 ·
This game is amazing.....I'll give you two quick examples why.

--The disc golf was so realistic and fun, I went out the next day and played REAL disc golf for the first time in my life.

--I got my parents (who suck at anything to do with video games and generelly do not care for them at all) to play SC for over three hours last night with me and my GF.

There was NOTHING funnier that seeing my dad swing away while playing Gladiator and then cheering when he won (out of breath). I NEED to get it on youtube.

For those who do not like Gladiator duel, you really need the second motion controller. It makes a ton of difference in my opinion. Also I really feel like its more of a tactical fighter...almost like Demon Souls fighting system...in that you need to wait for the right oppotunities, keep your shield up, look for openings. Its not just a hack n slash, swing at everything fighting system.

Anyways, great game and I really can't believe that Sony pulled it off this well.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/19222328

Z-axis is mostly what I meant. Approaching the net for slamming lobs and aggressively returning rally hits or fading back to defend against slams coming at you is important in real TT and works pretty well here also. I wonder if you can cheat Z-axis calibration to fully play it sitting down?

It comes close. I went a few matches with no points scored on me, but that was on Bronze

I think the Z-axis shrinks also making approaching the net easier. The biggest issue I had with sitting down was trying to turn the paddle around and whacking the ball before I meant to hit it.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRO99 /forum/post/19222463

--The disc golf was so realistic and fun, I went out the next day and played REAL disc golf for the first time in my life.

As a avid(maybe rabid) disc golfer, reading things like this makes me giddy. I ran into someone on the course yesterday that said they had never tried it until they got the PS Move as well! Disc golf is one of those sports that has a stigma that just dwarfs the actual sport (Puff Puff pass, throw.....). If any move players in michigan want a proper introduction to real disc golf, just shoot me a PM, I travel the state playing tournaments.

#31 ·
I don't have MOVE, and don't plan on getting Kinect at launch. I like the motion stuff especially after seeing how popular the Wii was with my friends and family during social events. For about a year, Wii battling completely replaced guys' cards night... of course the alcohol was still there

I like the idea of Sports Champions with all the minigames in HD but I have to admit I have not played it yet. I don't like how the $100 bundle is limited in gameplay. The Gladiator game and the Archery game is compromised to work with 1 MOVE but designed to work with 2 MOVEs. Still, seeing videos over the weeks it looks like the same type of fun I had with friends and family with Wii and WiiSports/Resort type of games. Still not budging though because for me it's $100 for the bundle + 50 for extra MOVE + 30 for Navigator remote at minimum.

#32 ·
The NavCon is not needed in any game, period. A DualShock 3 is being used by many people in its place with no issues. There's no need to add it to an imaginary price list. I mean, having a Bluetooth headset can add to the experience of online game play, but no one autimatically adds it's price to the base cost of a PS3 console purchase in forum discussions. It's an option, no more and no less.

As for one/two Moves issue, at least gamers have the choice. You can fully play all the events (they aren't mini-games) with one controller. Archery in fact is easier that way (just aim and shoot). Having two makes it more immersive for the most part, but isn't required. And outside of the unreleased game The Fight, no other Move title even uses dual controllers. It's up to the gamer whether they want it, and he can hold off in getting a 2nd one if he wishes.

In any case, there are so many deals right now that a smart buyer can essentially put money towards a second $50 Move cheaply: buy the Move bundle @ K-Mart for a $25 gift card, then buy a second Move for a $10 gift card. That's $35 saved once you use your cards.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paerley /forum/post/19222534

As a avid(maybe rabid) disc golfer, reading things like this makes me giddy. I ran into someone on the course yesterday that said they had never tried it until they got the PS Move as well! Disc golf is one of those sports that has a stigma that just dwarfs the actual sport (Puff Puff pass, throw.....). If any move players in michigan want a proper introduction to real disc golf, just shoot me a PM, I travel the state playing tournaments.

Yeah I had a great time playing and will definitely be getting more involved. I wish winter wasn't kreeping in so soon!!!! .....but hey, now I have SC for the winter lol.

You know whats funny is that I started to play and enjoy REAL golf after having fun playing Golden Tee at bars/restaurants. I think its pretty cool that a video game can help you pursue "real life" interests. And to all the video game nay-sayers, these are examples that video games aren't just sit-on-your-couch-and-get-fat-while-smoking-dope things. (although that does happen
)

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 /forum/post/19222536

I like the idea of Sports Champions with all the minigames in HD but I have to admit I have not played it yet. I don't like how the $100 bundle is limited in gameplay. The Gladiator game and the Archery game is compromised to work with 1 MOVE but designed to work with 2 MOVEs.

So if you have no played it, how do you know how limited it is? I have played all of them with two and one controller, honestly they are pretty much the same. Volleyball does not need a second controller in the least, Archery seems the same to me (the aim switched from the forward controller to the one in back, but you can hold your arm out to pretend just the same). Gladiator maybe better with two, but not vastly.

#35 ·
With Gladiator you can't block and attack simultaneously no matter how many controllers you have. It's more intuitive and immersive to use a Move for your shield and another for the weapon, but it plays just fine with one.

#36 ·
Apologize if this has been covered, but I didn't see anything. How does 2P work? I'm assuming you can get away with passing the controller in bocce, disc golf, & archery, but can you play TT or Volleyball 2P simultaneously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/19222633

buy the Move bundle @Target for a $25 gift card, then buy a second Move for a $10 gift card. That's $35 saved once you use your cards.

And where do you see this? I checked online and didn't see it in the ad or on the website.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 /forum/post/19223101

Apologize if this has been covered, but I didn't see anything. How does 2P work? I'm assuming you can get away with passing the controller in bocce, disc golf, & archery, but can you play TT or Volleyball 2P simultaneously?

No, TT/Volley/Gladiator require 2 since you play against each other.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/19222633

The NavCon is not needed in any game, period. A DualShock 3 is being used by many people in its place with no issues. There's no need to add it to an imaginary price list. I mean, having a Bluetooth headset can add to the experience of online game play, but no one autimatically adds it's price to the base cost of a PS3 console purchase in forum discussions. It's an option, no more and no less.

As for one/two Moves issue, at least gamers have the choice. You can fully play all the events (they aren't mini-games) with one controller. Archery in fact is easier that way (just aim and shoot). Having two makes it more immersive for the most part, but isn't required. And outside of the unreleased game The Fight, no other Move title even uses dual controllers. It's up to the gamer whether they want it, and he can hold off in getting a 2nd one if he wishes.

In any case, there are so many deals right now that a smart buyer can essentially put money towards a second $50 Move cheaply: buy the Move bundle @ K-Mart for a $25 gift card, then buy a second Move for a $10 gift card. That's $35 saved once you use your cards.

I'm not one to parade fanboy lists because it's pointless dribble I can do without so I didn't put it out there to stir for arguments sake. I know the sixaxis/DS3 can be used instead of the Navigator but it's not really comfortable playing with one hand on a controller designed for two hands. If I were to get MOVE, which I eventually will, I'm getting a Navigator without even thinking about it, cuz afterall it's only $30. I'll be smart though this time and not go on a buying spree like I did with my Wii (purchased 4 WiiMotes and 2 Nunchucks and I usually only play with 2 WiiMotes for social gatherings or 1WiiMote + 1Nunchuck by myself). I've tried doing things with my sixaxis (lighter than DS3) in games or in XMB and it's beyond awkward. I kept dropping the controller or having to readjust myself so I can get a better grip. The Navigator controller just looks super comfortable to use like the Wii's nunchuck, specifically designed for 1 hand. Using the whole sixaxis/DS3 with 1 hand is a bandaid solution to the whole 'absolute minimum requirements' to the system.

To kind of keep it on topic, I know why Sony went this route. They were already burned by price with the PS3 launch and didn't want MOVE to follow the same deal if they had come out stating $150-180 total, which is what it will cost me if I jump in (MOVE bundle = PSeye + 1x MOVE + Sports Champions, and I'd get an extra MOVE and the 1 Navigator). If you look at every promotional items out there though especially for Sports Champions, from Sony's press conferences to commercials/adverts, and even Sony MOVE's own site, it shows some of the Sports Champions mini-games like archery and gladiator using 2 MOVEs. It's compromised gaming just to work, which is fine for some but not fine for me. Archery like you said becomes a point n shoot only game and looks way cooler, more immersive and much more fun if done the way it's being marketed with 2 MOVEs. And the shield in gladiator from my understanding does nothing but become a stationary shield with just 1 MOVE, and it too is marketed all over with 2 MOVEs where you can actually block with the 2nd MOVE. I believe the volleyball game follows similar approach but not sure. It's just me though. The full experience as it's advertised isn't there with just the starter bundle but at least it gets you in the door. Just my 2 cents..

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/19222951

So if you have no played it, how do you know how limited it is? I have played all of them with two and one controller, honestly they are pretty much the same. Volleyball does not need a second controller in the least, Archery seems the same to me (the aim switched from the forward controller to the one in back, but you can hold your arm out to pretend just the same). Gladiator maybe better with two, but not vastly.

Pre-launch I saw the videos, read the reviews, etc. The MOVE designer himself even implied the right way to play with the system in the mini-games mentioned is with 2 MOVEs; just my assumption but it was Sony who pushed for minimum means to play via just 1 MOVE.

Post-launch (which was just last week) I've heard the same thing on various sites I read and forums I'm on but most stated they already expected this and got a second MOVE when they picked up their Sports Champions Bundle.

#43 ·
You're making it complicated. The right setup is what works for you as a single gamer, who is just one among many gamers. The same is true for everyone else. However that type of choice can't happen if there was only one rigid control scheme that requires all of the available motion control pieces.

There is zero reason for Sony to have the NavCon included since plenty of gamers have already shown that they are fine with the DS3 instead. Sony even had on-stage Move demos showing comfortable use with the DS3 (i.e. SOCOM 4's E3 presentation). If spending money on a NavCon makes you happy, knock yourself out. But why argue to force it on everyone else when that isn't necessary?

So there's no need to try to over-analyze it or read what a designer "implied" when the actual answer is simple - let the gamers choose themselves. That's what's great about how the format is being offered. Get what's right for you and don't try to pre-package a one-size-fits-all mega bundle for everyone. If they want a second Move for the two titles that optionally use it, great for them. If choose not to, they'll have fun and a good experience regardless.

Now should a game come around that absolutely requires two Moves, then that's not unlike M.A.G. which requires an online connection. Some will be fine with it, some will pass on it, but these type of rare exceptions don't make the rule. I mean, many games are more fun with a second DS3 for co-op and vs. local play, but you don't simply add its price to the purchase cost of a PS3. It's optional, optional, optional.

Right now, a PS3 gamer can spend $99 for the bundle and get a $25 gift card for an eventual net cost of about $75 and it comes with a Move, the PSEye, and the uber-fantastic Sports Champions game. That's only $15 more than 99% of new retail games alone! Most people aren't even complaining about the full retail price since honestly it really isn't all that bad.

#44 ·
There's 2 things here joeblow. One is the 'need' for the Navigator while the other is the compromised gameplay you get with using only 1 MOVE even with Sports Champions.

The first is the fact that you don't need the Navigator because a sixaxis/DS3 works. That's not ideal though since like I mentioned a sixaxis/DS3 is designed for 2 hands, not 1, and I've already tried with my lighter sixaxis to do things using only 1 hand. Imagine a kid with much smaller hands. The Navigator works much better and was designed specifically for 1 hand. There is the consumer's choice, and mine is simply that for me using a sixaxis/DS3 isn't feasible. I'm not arguing this.

The second is the fact that some mini-games are compromised a bit by using 1 MOVE as opposed to 2 MOVEs. Sony markets these using 2 MOVEs, not 1. And the work around is that the game was designed to allow it being played with 1 MOVE. How does one simulate archery actions with just 1 MOVE? Not like using 2 MOVEs as it's marketed. How does one simulate having a sword in 1 hand and a shield in the other with 1 MOVE? Not like using 2 MOVEs, as it's marketed. You're going off the deep end by pointing out online connections and 2nd remotes for coop as similar options. This literally is 1 person not playing the SP game the way it's marketed. On posters, magazines, press conferences, and even Sony's site. At minimum it works, but why limit yourself? It's like buying a racing game with a wheel but no pedals. Just my take.

#45 ·
I have a seven year old daughter who right now is in love with the Move (she's never tried motion gaming before). If a game comes out that is appropriate for her and needs the NavCon (only hardcore shooters/RTS games use it so far), then I'll get one.

What I don't get is, how does that affect anything I've said? If the NavCon works for a particular gamer's situation, then by all means that person should get one. However, they can easily test things out with the DS3 first for free and decide if they are fine saving their money, which a lot of us are doing now. My way, which is Sony's current marketing choice, doesn't force gamers who don't want the NavCon to pay extra. Your way needlessly makes enjoying the Move more expensive than it has to be.

Or put more simply, with the current break-down of all of the possible retail configurations, just about every single Move player can find an affordable setup that's perfect for their needs. Doing it your way, some of us would grumble about an unnecessary expense or hold off on the purchase altogether.

I look around the internet and there are people who use the $30 they would have used on a NavCon towards a second Move. That's the individuilzed flexibility I'm talking about, which your method ignores for whatever reason. What about the poor kid in your example who can't handle the DS3? His parents should buy him a NavCon, currently sold with a $10 gift card at some retailers - problem solved.

Your racing analogy for two Moves fails hard. You can't play GT5 at all using a wheel with no pedals, but can play Sports Champions just fine with one Move. You can however play GT5 with your trusty old DS3 and skip the wheel purchase altogether. That's just like skipping a 2nd Move; it's the gamer's choice as to how he prefers to play. So until you come here saying that GT5 should have a wheel included with every purchase, just like Sony themselves show in conferences, demonstrations, blah, blah, blah, don't bother trying defend this point. Choices, choices, choices are good no matter how much money you personally want to force people to spend when they don't have to.

~~~

In any case, why did I encourage your off-topic thread derailment about peripheral sales when we're here enjoying the game itself? Do what you want as far as buying it goes; I'm done addressing personal choice issues you obviously need to work out for yourself. Just stop trying to spend other people's money and you will be fine. We can all decide for ourselves what setup works best.

#46 ·
I currently don't have a move but I noticed each controller only has one trigger. Would this pose a problem with some fps that utilize both R1&2 and L1&2 buttons? Never played mag either but I'm pretty excited about the potential for killzone 3 and move. Does anyone know how the move contollers address the other two triggers?

#47 ·
I doubt it, I am guessing they will either use a DS3 in the left hand, the navcon, or have a way of using a second button. The first thing that comes to mind is the Move button, it's really convenient. I can see it used as a second trigger.

After playing tonight I can see us having FOUR move controllers. I haven't proven it yet but I believe the 2 player Sports Champion games that are head-to-head will take advantage of having 4 controllers. More testing to come... We've had so much fun just playing the challenges tonight we haven't even tried head to head.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19226018

After playing tonight I can see us having FOUR move controllers. I haven't proven it yet but I believe the 2 player Sports Champion games that are head-to-head will take advantage of having 4 controllers. More testing to come... We've had so much fun just playing the challenges tonight we haven't even tried head to head.

4 controllers is correct. Check out the video on the Playstation blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...ladiator-duel/

#49 ·
I'm having trouble getting a good stance (or whatever you'd call it) when playing archery. When aiming, it seems that the hand that is holding the bow has to be pointed far to the right of the actual target. This doesn't seem right. Also, if I change things up and it does seem to actually follow where I'm pointing (at the target) the bulb obstructs my view of what I'm shooting. I'm 6'5" and taller than the top edge of my TV. I'm standing about 8-9 feet away. Could my height be part of the problem. Should I try sitting?....even though that would seem odd.

This is the only game where the movements don't seem completely accurate to what I'm doing on screen. I've shot a real bow before.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv /forum/post/19225896

I currently don't have a move but I noticed each controller only has one trigger. Would this pose a problem with some fps that utilize both R1&2 and L1&2 buttons? Never played mag either but I'm pretty excited about the potential for killzone 3 and move. Does anyone know how the move contollers address the other two triggers?

The nav controller or whatever it is has 2 triggers. I'm guessing the thumb button on the move controller can substitute for the missing trigger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.