AVS Forum banner

The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!!

467K views 3K replies 397 participants last post by  44mlb 
#1 ·
Its so close.. Marantz says they will have the first units here end of next week..

I am so excited about this new receiver.. Great Specs and awesome looks..

I attached some PDF's

Craig

7005.pdf 280.849609375k . file

Attachments

#104 ·
From Google Translate:

Quote:
+ Cultivated sound character with accurate, detailed reproduction

+ Good stereo performance

+ Equipment includes HDMI 1.4a, streaming client

+ Handy remote control

+ And total solid finish

+ Impressive appearance

- OSD rather plain and also held in English only

- Audyssey implementation will allow settings / info missing several

- The Bluetooth module RX101 was the SR-6004 also contain - the SR-7005, it costs 129 euros extr

So far I am happy with mine but this is certainly a mass market receiver and not a "flagship" by any means. Denon AVR-5308CI is a "flagship", this is not and the price reflects it.

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack /forum/post/19227901

So far I am happy with mine but this is certainly a mass market receiver and not a "flagship" by any means. Denon AVR-5308CI is a "flagship", this is not and the price reflects it.

Have you had any problems with the Audyssey calibration?

Is it possible to connect one physical HDMI input to more than one logical input?

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningh /forum/post/19228697

Is it possible to connect one physical HDMI input to more than one logical input?

I am not sure about it, but like SR5005, you can easily switch (via A/D button on the remote) between different *audio* inputs (hdmi/digital/analog/7.1 multi) associated with the logical input. I suppose that's what you're looking for by asking your question.

I like this a lot and I don't see sadly this capability in 4311ci.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat /forum/post/19228756

I am not sure about it, but like SR5005, you can easily switch (via A/D button on the remote) between different *audio* inputs (hdmi/digital/analog/7.1 multi) associated with the logical input. I suppose that's what you're looking for by asking your question.

I like this a lot and I don't see sadly this capability in 4311ci.

Having the capability on the remote to switch between HDMI, MCH analog, analog (2CH) and digital audio inputs is a nice option. I use the AUDIO SEL function of my Onkyo 886 quite often. I use both HDMI and MCH analog inputs of the 886 for my Oppo 83SE.

If I am watching a DVD/BR I use HDMI and for SACD/DVD-1 I use the MCH analog input. Using my Harmony 688 I have the AUDIO SEL button programmed so with one touch I can toogle between the inputs. This enables one to have two or more different audio inputs for one HDMI input.

I just quickly looked at the 4311 manual and I did not see any reference as to whether there is a dedicated button on the remote to switch audio inputs on the fly. I did see reference to an EXT. IN function but I did not see it on the remote. It has been awhile since I had a Denon AVR and I forgot how confusing their manuals are

Bill

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat /forum/post/19228756

I just quickly looked at the 4311 manual and I did not see any reference as to whether there is a dedicated button on the remote to switch audio inputs on the fly. I did see reference to an EXT. IN function but I did not see it on the remote. It has been awhile since I had a Denon AVR and I forgot how confusing their manuals are

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat /forum/post/19229290

^ Exactly. I almost decided to go with 4431ci over SR7005, but it would be disappointing to loose such a basic but useful feature.

It really appears there is no way to do it on Denon without digging into setup menus. LAME.

I don't see it on the Denon AVR-4311CI remote either. It would be a shame, since I have an old Denon AVR-3802 in another room which has this functionality on the remote.
Wouldn't be a reason for me personally not to purchase, but I do understand why you like this as I do also.

Willie

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi /forum/post/19229549

I don't see it on the Denon AVR-4311CI remote either. It would be a shame, since I have an old Denon AVR-3802 in another room which has this functionality on the remote.
Wouldn't be a reason for me personally not to purchase, but I do understand why you like this as I do also.

Willie

Willie,

I have the 3802 as well sitting in its box down in the cellar. What a great receiver one that would probably still be in my rack if I hadn't joined AVS
. I broke it out a few times between prepros and it still sounds great. IIRC there is an EXT IN button on the 3802's remote.

Bill

#111 ·

Quote:

I had no problems with Audyssey.

With MCACC I had to move speakers around because I kept getting "out of phase" error.

Overall I like the sound more than the two pioneers I had before (well, I still have them, just in storage
) , and one of them is/was a Pioneer Elite 59TXi which was supposedly a true "flagship" receiver at that time. There are just so many variables involved with speakers and room acoustics and your own ears that the only way to find out whether you like something is to try it out at home.

Re: HDMI input - I will check, give me a few days, send me a PM to remind me if you still need the info within 1 week.

#112 ·

Quote:

With MCACC I had to move speakers around because I kept getting "out of phase" error.

Overall I like the sound more than the two pioneers I had before (well, I still have them, just in storage
) , and one of them is/was a Pioneer Elite 59TXi which was supposedly a true "flagship" receiver at that time. There are just so many variables involved with speakers and room acoustics and your own ears that the only way to find out whether you like something is to try it out at home.

Re: HDMI input - I will check, give me a few days, send me a PM to remind me if you still need the info within 1 week.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/19229589

Willie,

I have the 3802 as well sitting in its box down in the cellar. What a great receiver one that would probably still be in my rack if I hadn't joined AVS
. I broke it out a few times between prepros and it still sounds great. IIRC there is an EXT IN button on the 3802's remote.

Bill

Bill,

There is an EXT IN button on the 3802's remote into to a button for ANALOG. There are also buttons for all the Surround formats (Dolby, DTS, 5Ch, 7CH, 6.1, 7.1, Direct and Stereo). Since, I am also giving heavy consideration to the Denon AVR-4311CI also it is quite possible that I may be able to program some of these buttons into my Harmony according to "batpig". It really is a nice feature that should be in all remotes in this price range.

Willie

#114 ·
Hi all - long time lurker, first time post...

I'm considering the SR7005 for network and multizone capabilities vs a 3-zone Sonos setup and non-networked receiver (ie, the SR5005 or 6005). Anyone have any experience with the network functionality of the SR7005? How is it for streaming local music files and online services like Pandora, etc? Does anyone know if the Marantz iPhone app works yet?

Also, looking at the SR7005 manual, it looks like you can only power either zone 2 or zone 3 (but not both). The manual tells you to wire zones 2 or 3 to the "Surr Back/Amp Assign" speaker terminals and specify one of them in the "Amp Assign" menu. Bi-amping the front speakers also uses the same "Surr Back/Amp Assign" terminals, so apparently you can only do one of the three options (bi-amp, power zone 2, or power zone 3). Is that correct? I'm new to multizone receivers, so I wasn't sure how this would work.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Bill

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack /forum/post/19229791

I'm impressed you are saying the SQ is better than the 59TXi - that is praise indeed, I've tried a few modern day

#117 ·
SR7005 sucks big time!!! And the customer support is the worst EVER.

I have a lot of the problems mentioned here. But biggest problem: My Marantz stereo amplifier which is integrated into my surround system responds to the remote as well and the other way around. This makes watching a movie impossible. I turn up the volume on my surround receiver and the volume on the stereo amplifier goes up, too. So the front left and right channels get MUCH louder. I got the worst of solutions from Marantz.

It is not possible to change remote codes or whatever.

Also I cannot connect my HTPC with Auzentech Home Theater HD card propably. High definition audio (DTS-master and Dolby True HD) does not get recognized.

So it may be a HDCP issue.

Cannot setup the wireless network connection as well.

I hate this receiver...

#119 ·
I'll be receiving this receiver in a couple days.

In short, I'm a newbie setting up my first high-end home theater with the Definitive Mythos ST speaker system. First went with a Pioneer Elite SC-37, and it's just not working out. For one, it's defective (none of the preouts work), and I'm just not happy with the sound quality (possibly another issue related to the defect; possibly a calibration issue I can't seem to solve despite running MCACC at least 5 or 6 times now); sound pretty great for music, but voices are way too shrill.

I unfortunately purchased the Pioneer from a gray marketer (didn't realize it at the time...I'm new to the whole authorized-dealer-only thing) and they're very unresponsive in regards to an RMA, etc., so I decided to try something else in the meantime and try to get a refund on the Pioneer (which may be a ton of trouble...).

At any rate, after talking to Definitive, they had high praise for Marantz receivers paired with their speakers and said I'd be happy if I wanted a warmer/smoother sound, so I decided to give this one a shot as it looks like it's right along the lines technologically of the Pioneer.

I was smarter about it this time and went with a mainstream retailer (Crutchfield) with a no-questions-asked 60 day return policy if I end up not liking it.

I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

Hoping it gets here Thursday. =)

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX /forum/post/19222271

Yes, that audyssey problem i encoutered was indeed strange.

I did the setup twice, and i both cases still various errors.......

never had an error with Onkyo, same speakers, same setup.

So i think the audyssey software Marantz uses must be a bit different then Onkyo.

Maybe the error level of Onkyo is set lower (?).

I ordered today an Integra 70.2, just a bit higher in price then the 7005, but with a truckload of features and 2 working HDMI out and 2 working subs out that can be set different when you have 2 different subs.

And a 2010 GUI, and not the Commodore 64 stuff on the 7005

But that can be a matter of taste.

Sorry to bring this up again but IMHO the Integra 70.2 is one ugly amp, And What's with all the buttons lol

The styling of the Integra 70.2 looks more out of date than the marantz GUI.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli66 /forum/post/19258707

I have a lot of the problems mentioned here. But biggest problem: My Marantz stereo amplifier which is integrated into my surround system responds to the remote as well and the other way around. This makes watching a movie impossible. I turn up the volume on my surround receiver and the volume on the stereo amplifier goes up, too. So the front left and right channels get MUCH louder. I got the worst of solutions from Marantz.

It is not possible to change remote codes or whatever.

Why don't you block the IR window of the integrated amp so it will not receive the remotes commands. Have you tried running the SR7005 without the external amp? If you did this maybe the SR7005's internal amps will be sufficent to drive your speakers. That way you will eliminate one issue you are having. Which of course is not an issue related to the SR7005

Bill

#125 ·
I received my SR7005 receiver about a week ago and finally got the chance to hook it up last night. This receiver is replacing a 4 year old Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX receiver which I will be giving to my folks.

Overall my initial impressions are very positive. So far I haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

The first thing I did after hooking everything up was to update the firmware to the latest version. This took around 10 to 15 minutes and went smoothly. Next, I ran the Audyssey setup which was a breeze. There were no errors / issues although I did make a few minor manual adjustments to various settings after the automated setup was completed.

Overall sound quality is excellent although I need to spend some more time evaluating different source material to provide a more thorough opinion. However I can say with absolute certainty that there is no unwanted distortion, noise, etc. from any of my speakers.

Earlier in this thread someone complained about the GUI interface. Upgrading from my Pioneer Elite receiver, the GUI on the SR7005 is a HUGE improvement. The GUI on my Pioneer reminded me that of 80's era PC and was not aesthetically pleasing to say the least. Granted, the GUI on the SR7005 is not as 'pretty' or as 'flashy' as the one on my Denon 3808 receiver however it's simple and easy to navigate which is a huge plus. I'm able to find all the options / settings I need with relative ease which is by far more important to me.