AVS Forum banner

Zack Snyder to direct next Superman movie: Man of Steel

40K views 1K replies 97 participants last post by  rezzy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
So, we can expect Supes to toss Lex through a pane of glass in stutter-step slo-mo...

#4 ·
benes, Superman Returns was the end of the franchise for many years. With Nolan producing I do think that this film has a shot. I like Snyder and believe he has the chops to pull this off. Nolan and his brother are involved with the scripting and word is that so far it is all coming together.

I'm excited about this news.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/19289859

More like Superfail.

So lets recap. First we get some Warner exec telling us the next Superman is going to be dark and brooding because according to Dork Knight this is what fans want to see. Then we learn Nolan is helming the project. And now this. So yeah this is pretty much the end of the Superman franchise for the near future.

If the 2006 Superman Fails Returns didn't slow this franchise down, nothing will.

This would be, what, the 6th or 7th Superman live action?

Sheesh, turn it into a TV series and be done with it....oh, wait, they have done that already...several times.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/19298838

... people have the memory of fruit flies.

You got that ri--Squirrel!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/19300806

Its hard to top Richard Donners Superman. Cant they just focus in creating something new? We dont need another Superman movie.

It's about $$$, not creativity.

If people would stop supporting these re-boots, we wouldn't have to see the same ol' thing again and again....

#19 ·
All the negativity surrounding this makes no sense to me, and not just because Nolan's behind it (which should be more than enough to deter any such blind pessimism).

Zack Snyder proved with his surprisingly-good Dawn of the Dead remake that he could deliver tension, suspense, and wrap some convincing drama around it. He also showed he was great even without a green screen.

He proved with 300 that he could deliver exceptional visuals and "epic" action.

He proved with Watchmen that he could respectfully and passionately adapt a highly regarded pre-existing source material, and the he could handle characters as well as he handles visuals and suspense or mood.

Now, he's not perfect...but I'll be damned if hes not one of the best choices for this franchise. And with Christopher Nolan behind him and this project... I dont see how anyone could be anything less than optimistic and excited.

Obviously YMMV

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/19305082

I'll be damned if hes not one of the best choices for this franchise. And with Christopher Nolan behind him and this project... I dont see how anyone could be anything less than optimistic and excited.

Obviously YMMV

Doesn't have anything to with Nolan or Snyder.

For me, at least, the character (Superman) has been done to death.

How about something new....for once?

Christopher Reeve brought a personal charm to it and I think that is about the best you can realistically hope for.

In the comics (of my day), Superman had about as much personality as a snow tire.

The Reeve movies made Supe bearable in a light hearted way.

What....we're out of superheroes now?

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/19305082

All the negativity surrounding this makes no sense to me, and not just because Nolan's behind it (which should be more than enough to deter any such blind pessimism).

Zack Snyder proved with his surprisingly-good Dawn of the Dead remake that he could deliver tension, suspense, and wrap some convincing drama around it. He also showed he was great even without a green screen.

I think its more like they cutting bread with a samurai sword. Sure it makes nice cuts, but I would rather see the same talent doing something else.

There already exist a great Superman movie.

#22 ·
There was already a great Nightmare on Elm Street, a terrific Halloween, a stupendously good Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. etc.

SUPERMAN means money, if it works. Huge money. It cannot be ignored.

Unfortunately, the Richard Donner/Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN is so ingrained into my being that I will never be able to get past it.

#23 ·
Warner needs to make a new Superman movie ASAP or their film rights to the character will expire. That's the real reason this is happening.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco /forum/post/19308411

That's one of the problems..they never took the character any farther. He seemed to always fight the same foe, his mannerism and abilities were limited, the stories were lame, and then they threw in the fact he's a baby-daddy..please

They had a very good doc on the Superman boxset. That explained most of the problems with the Superman movies. Basicly everything went wrong after they fired Donner.

Superman returns was a nice attempt to go back to Donners "style". But didnt get the right mix between seriousness,suspense and charm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.