AVS Forum banner

SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA

2M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  domino92024 
#1 ·
Background: Much of this was edited, updated, and tested from the SA3250HD/SA8000HD posts by AVS Member 'vegggas'. Others were added from personal experience and suggestions, with literary license taken.

Suggested Links to SA8300HD threads/sites that may be of further interest:
Additional Items of Interest

Xnappo's SATA Expansion Databases. Tracks compatibility issues between SA8300HD/HDC (and compatible units like the 8240 series) and various SATA drives/enclosures:How To Determine Software Being Used. Look at the A-B-C button labels at the bottom of the IPG (Interactive Program Guide) to determine which software is being used:
Code:
Code:
[B]A         B         C[/B]
[B]SARA[/B]                     Browse By       Date            [[I]curved backarrow[/I]]
[B]Passport Echo[/B]         Time            Theme           Search
[B]Passport (non-DVR)[/B]  Time            Theme           Title
[B]Navigator[/B]              Access Menu     Find Shows      [[I]no label[/I]]
Hot Topic Of The DayTIPS & TRICKS (separated in the following categories):
  • Setup

Setup Wizard

Change Default Format

Removing Bars On SD Channels

Reverts To 480i
  • Settings

General Settings Option Info

Audio Out Using HDMI Connection

Display Format Summary

Audio Range Settings

Auto Shut-off Workaround
  • Recording Options

Extend Recording Time

Change Recording Time

Recordings With Manually Set/Altered Start Times

"Save Time" and "Until I Erase" Options

Checking Status Of Current Recording

Lost or Missing Recordings

Blank Recordings

Place-Holders For Future Recordings (1.88.x.x)

Potential Recording Conflicts

Auto-Erase
  • Playback Controls

Slow Motion Mode

Frame Advance Mode

Fast Forward/Rewind

Mimic Tivo Jump-Back

Resume Playback
  • Diagnostics

Diagnostic Mode

Disappearing Diagnostic Window

Finding SARA Software Version

Reboot

Forced Reboot (without unplugging unit)

Hard Reboot

Last Resort (Reformat)

Total Reset

HDD Defrag

V/H Resolution Information

Memory Info

Signal Levels

SDV Diagnostics
  • Miscellaneous

Clearing Pop-up Windows

Program Distribution

Viewing A Third Program

Macro - Automate Remote Turn On

Anamorphic DVDs

New Features - 1.88.x.x

New Features - 1.89.x.x

Bug(s) Fixed in 1.89.x.x

Bug(s) Remaining after 1.89.x.x
Setup
Setup Wizard. UG-3 Instructions for Advanced Setup Wizard to choose TV type and resolutions, done after the box has received it's initial download from your cableco.
  1. Using Power button on unit (not remote), turn off power, then press both GUIDE/INFO at same time.
  2. Choose Easy or Advanced setup - Easy selects 1080i output only - Advanced provides options for TV type (4x3 or 16x9) and user selected outputs.
  3. Follow instructions on the screen. Read instructions carefully. If screen goes blank, it is trying to display a resolution not supported by TV - disable resolution.
Change Default Format. Default format can be changed without going through Setup Wizard:
  1. Press/hold Select until Mail LED lights.
  2. Press Vol Down (-) button - display changes to "HdSr" (HD Screen Resolution)
  3. Press Ch Up (+) for 480i
  4. Press Ch Down (-) for 480p
  5. Press Vol Down (-) for 720p
  6. Press Vol Up (+) for 1080i

Note: Does not appear to work using remote.

Removing Bars On SD Channels. Factory default displays side bars on non-HD channels. Toggling zoom modes eliminates them, but this often cuts much of image. Adding resolutions allows TV to stretch images and avoid uneven phosphor wear (burn-in). Use Setup Wizard to enable resolutions other than 1080i. Also set picture format to Pass-Through (press Settings twice, scroll to Set:picture Format, select Pass-Through).
  • With box OFF and TV ON, press Info /Guide (on box) together, then follow on-screen directions to enable 480i and others. Cable passes 720p (ABC, FOX, ESPN), 1080i (all other HD channels), 480i (SD channels), and 480p (music channels). If you do not see difference between 1080i/720p, enable only one to minimize reformatting while channel surfing. Note: The 480i/p Widescreen options allow 8300 to stretch image. Do not enable if you use TV to stretch image.
Reverts To 480i. If your setup reverts to 480i and a reboot doesn't resolve the problem, refer to Post #10 in This Thread .

Settings
General Settings Option Info. After pressing Settings twice, scroll to any General Setting option and simply press Info for description/other information.

Audio Out Using HDMI Connection. UG-2 HDMI connection will automatically select 2 channel stereo if TV does not support Dolby Digital (DD). In order to restore DD audio to receiver, change automatic setting. Press Settings twice and scroll to Audio: Digital Out. Change setting from HDMI to Dolby Digital. This will force DD audio to HDMI, as well as digital/optical audio outs.

Display Format Summary. UG-5/6 Press Settings twice, then scroll to Set: Picture Format.
  • Fixed - Displays all content at whatever resolution you selected in Setup Wizard.
  • Pass Through - Passes input signal through with no change unless you disable a resolution. For example 480i in - 480i out, 720P in - 720P out, 720p disabled - 1080i out, etc.
  • Auto HDMI/DVI - If you use HDMI, this option replaces Pass Through option. Resolution is automatically formatted to scan rate supported by TV.
  • UpConvert 1 - All 480i/480P signals converted to 480P. All 720P/1080i signals converted to 1080i.
  • UpConvert 2 - All 480i/480P signals converted to 480P. All 720P/1080i signals converted to 720P.
Audio Range Settings. Audio Range options are for Dolby Digital output signals and refer to digital "Dynamic Range".
  • Wide Dynamic Range will render audio that will go from faintest audio level of a whisper at an extremely low level to thundering boom at ear-shattering levels giving great impact to action movies, but calls for good audio setup to properly hear normal dialog without blasting speakers during loud scenes.
  • Narrow Dynamic Range keeps lower volumes at higher level while muting higher level sounds to lower level. Whispered dialog is not much quieter than explosion and all sound levels are "Narrowed" to a certain level.
  • Normal Dynamic Range basically splits difference.

These are not specific numbers, but think of it something like this when setting the volume level to about 33% for same scene. Using Narrow Dynamic Range, whisper might be 45db and explosion 85db. Using Wide Dynamic Range setting, whisper might now be 15db and explosion 105db.

Auto Shut-off Workaround. Auto Shut-off feature can be defeated by setting General Settings/Timer: Turn Off option and setting Timer: Wake-up option for 1 minute later to keep unit on virtually 24/7. Useful if 8300HD is connected to Replay TV or other devices that rely on 8300HD for channel change, etc.

Recording Options.
Extend Recording Time. UG-21 Extend recording time of recording currently in progress by:
  1. Press LIST.
  2. Press "A" to switch to Scheduled Recordings list.
  3. Find in-progress recording program (it will be highlighted in RED).
  4. Press SELECT to access options.
  5. Change End time to desired time.
  6. Press the "A" to accept changes.

This is particularly useful for extending time for sporting events that may run over.

Change Recording Times. UG-21 Recording times can be changed by editing Start/End times when scheduling recording or any time before recording begins. This is useful to avoid scheduling conflicts caused by networks who think beginning programs early or ending them late hooks viewers. However, there is a problem whereby contents of buffer is incorrectly added to beginning of recording whose start time has been changed. The problem only occurs if you happen to be tuned to same channel prior to start of recording.

"Save Time" and "Until I Erase" Options. "Save Time" and "Until I Erase" are separate options designed for different purposes.
  • The term "Save Time" is misleading and has little to do with how "long" programs will be saved, especially when it comes to available space and "Auto Erase". It simply gives one the option to record 1-5 or All episodes of a given program and oldest will be erased when selected option starts recording, etc. This is the case wheher or not Auto Erase is turned On.
  • However, if "Auto Erase" is turned On, oldest recordings (not just the oldest episodes of a given program) will be erased regardless of "Save Time" settings. If all are tagged "Until I Erase", further recording stops and message is displayed indicating drive is full.
Checking Status Of Current Recording. You can use PIP to check status of a program currently being recorded. Recording program will be displayed in PIP window. If you are watching program being recorded while recording a second program, second program will be displayed in PIP window.

Lost or Missing Recordings. Most of us probably schedule several All or New episode recordings when fall season starts and then forget about them. However, the success of these scheduled recordings depends enirely on the title of the program matching the title when the recording was scheduled. Oftentimes, the title in the IPG changes, sometimes as often as weekly, and that can wreak havoc with your schedule. While it's impossible to attribute every lost or missing recording to a title change, it seems worthwhile to periodically check your scheduled recordings list against IPG to make sure recordings are highlighted properly.

Blank Recordings. Sometimes recording may appear to be blank when attempting playback:
  • If you get blank screen, try selecting another recording from list, begin playback of that recording, and then re-select original recording. If it still doesn't play properly, try a hard" reboot before giving up and deleting recording.
  • If you get Playback Channel screen, try a "hard" reboot before giving up and deleting recording.
Place-Holders For Future Recordings. The 8300HD sets place-holders to keep track of future recordings for recurring scheduled recordings (weekly or less frequent). These are set as soon as recording starts and are scheduled for 7 (1.89.x.x) or 9 (1.88.x.x) days out. Unfortunately, these place-holders, especially those in 1.88.x.x, can make things look incorrect when viewing highlighted items in IPG looking for potential conflicts or just reviewing upcoming recordings. An example:
  • Justice on FOX airs weekly on Monday nights at 8:00 pm. When regularly scheduled recording starts, new place-holder is set for next episode, but it is dated for following Wednesday and will appear as such in Scheduled Recordings list. It is easily identified as a place-holder. When you press INFO, you get an empty display window.
  • Criminal Minds on CBS and Lost on ABC both air weekly on Wednesday nights at 8:00 pm and when you view the IPG, both of these are highlighted for recording.
  • Nothing is scheduled to record on FOX on Wednesday nights at 8:00 pm, so nothing should be highlighted. However, if you check further, you will see that whatever airs at 8:00 pm is also highlighted (MLB Post-Game as of this posting).
  • Even though this appears to be incorrect, is it only highlighted because of place-holder for Justice and not because anything will actually get recorded. It does not need to be cancelled.
  • In my test, place-holders are reset for correct day once next episode appears in IPG, usually after nightly IPG update. Others have had them reset shortly after mid-night, while still others have them wait to reset until the actual day of recording.
  • It's important to note to be careful when reviewing IPG and Scheduled Recordings list for upcoming recordings, all may not be as it appears and you may inadvertently cancel recordings that are not erroneous.
Potential Recording Conflicts. There have been reports that "old" scheduled recordings of programs no longer on might cause 8300HD to get confused at some point. This can result in lost recordings or inability to set up new recordings for same timeslot. This can be minimized by cleaning out old scheduled recordings for shows that are no longer on. Also, see previous item before inadvertently deleting potential place-holders.

Auto-Erase. The Auto Erase function should work on programs recorded AFTER it is turned on and for those programs originally recorded without the "Until I Delete" option. Previously recorded programs that were recorded without those two options should not be auto deleted even after you manually change the save time settings (except for the amount of days you set it to) because they were flagged to not be Auto Erased as space is needed.

In summary, to use the feature:

1) Turn ON Auto Erase.

2) Change Save Time for Future Recordings to something other than "Until I Erase".

You should also clean out your recordings so that you have a decent amount of working space for the above rule. If you only have 5% space left, and try to start using the feature it's not going to work because you would only have up to 5% of available working space to begin with (hint 5% is not even enough to record 1 hour of HD). Programs originally recorded with those settings will comply with the rules.

Playback Controls
Slow Motion Mode. UG-14 While viewing a recorded program, press Play 2nd time to enter Slow Motion mode.

Frame Advance Mode. UG-14 While viewing a recorded program, press Pause, FF/REW now become Frame Advance.

Fast Forward/Rewind. UG-13 Pressing FF/REW starts desired action. You can press them up to 4 times to increase the speed; 4x, 10x, 30x, and 128x.

Mimic Tivo Jump-Back. UG-14 Tivo users have gotten used to how it 'jumps back' a few seconds when you hit Play after fast forwarding. You can mimic this behavior by hitting Replay, button with curved arrow on it, instead of Play. This will bounce you back 8 seconds and resume normal speed from there.
  • One caveat. Next time you press FF, you will be given "next" FF speed, rather than FF1. If you were using FF2, hit Replay, watch some of show, and then hit FF, you will get FF3 instead of FF1. A better way might be to press Play and then immediately press Replay.
  • Another way to mimic this action is by pressing Pause instead of Play to stop fast forwarding. This way, when you hit Rewind to back up to precise place to restart program, it will remain paused instead of immediately starting to play again.
Resume Playback. If you Pause, Stop, or simply tune to another channel while viewing a recording, you can resume playback from where you left off by simply tuning back to Playback Channel and pressing Play as long as you have not viewed another recording in meantime.

Diagnostics
Diagnostic Mode. There are two ways to enter Diagnostic Mode:
  1. Press and hold Select on front of unit until Mail light starts to flash, then press INFO.
  2. Press and hold Pause on remote until Mail light starts to flash (around 10-15 seconds), then press Page Up (-). On some remotes, Page (+) might need to be used instead.
Disappearing Diagnostic Window. Enter Diagnostic Mode (see above item). Change transparency of screens by pressing Select on front of box or "B" on remote. It goes from 100% opaque to about 50% opaque to about 5% opaque. You can then use Page Up/Down on remote to cycle through screens. This is useful when changing channels, noting signal levels/PQ, or trying to see levels fluctuate as glitches occur.

Finding SARA Software Version. Enter Diagnostic Mode (see above item) and scroll through screens until you find one entitled "Software Versions" or "Component Information". Version number on one of those pages will be in a format similar to 1.85.14.3. Also, there are a number of different naming conventions being used and only one is really accurate in sense that PTV OS version number can differentiate SARA versions across platforms. For example, both SA8000HD and SA8300HD run SARA 1.89.18.1. However, SA8000HD runs PTV OS 6.12.18.1 whereas SA8300HD runs PTV OS 6.14.81.1. This probably doesn't mean much in big scheme of things and is offered only for information when viewing diagnostics screens.

Reboot. Unplug power cord for 5 or more seconds and then plug it back in.

Forced Reboot (without unplugging unit). On front of box, press/hold both VOL+ and VOL- , then press INFO.

Hard Reboot. Hard Reboot will refresh all available software and modules on system, as well as clear out memory cache. IPG and other data may take up to 30 minutes or more to fully download.
  1. Turn off 8300 and wait 5 or more seconds.
  2. Unplug power cord from 8300 and wait 5 or more seconds.
  3. If you are resetting an external drive too, unplug it's power cord at this point and wait 5 or more seconds, then plug power cord back into external drive and wait 5 or more seconds.
  4. Press and hold Power on 8300 front panel. While Power is depressed, plug 8300 power cord back in. Continue to hold Power until 8300 display says "boot" and/or begins to cycle a few times (usually about 15 seconds).

NOTE: Hard Reboot will resolve MANY issues with not only external drives, but memory issues too. You should WAIT until the reboot is completely finished before powering up. It usually takes about 5 - 10 min, depending on your application and IPG data. Best way to determine when the download is finished is to watch the front panel indicators. On the front panel, where the : (colon) seperates the hours and minutes, the bottom " . " dot will appear after all OS firmware has been loaded. An STB getting a download or initializing will be blank. Leave STB alone until dot appears.

Last Resort (Reformat). If for some reason you can't get STB to do what you want and you've rebooted it by unplugging it, etc., this is a "last resort" item - say just before taking unit back, you can try reformatting the HDD. The format operation resets all data on the DVR, including all recordings, preferences and scheduled recordings. It is a "factory fresh" reset.

When doing the format procedure, there are times where it won't always "take" and will have to be redone again. The procedure is to get the mail light blinking from the remote control by holding down the pause button. Once blinking do not press anything else except the page down (page -) button on the remote three times while watching the display. The display should say something like HDD-1 and then HDD-2 or HDD-F. Once on the setting you want (typically the third press) leave it alone and put the remote down. In a few minutes, the DVR will reboot and reformat on it's own. Once complete in about 10 to 15 minutes (depending on RDC and FDC signal level quality) the unit will be available to be turned on, but it's best to leave it off and come back at a later time after it has completely downloaded all of the guide data and info.
  1. Press and hold PAUSE until Mail led is lit.
  2. Press PAGE down or (-), and then press LIST three times.
  3. Turn box off. When turned back on, formatting will begin.
Total Reset. From AVS - vegggas:
  1. I don't think this is common knowledge, but it could save many users a lot of grief. Most failed units can be revived with total reset performed by user, depending on failure type. Instead of replacing unit and losing your shows, try this trick as last (or first) resort. This is known to reset unit no longer displaying Video, unable to lock on to one/both tuners, unable to read Hard Drive, or no longer able to get a download (display counting or hunting).
  2. Complete reset can be done by removing power and all connections for an extended amount of time. This means remove power cable, coax cable(s), eSATA cable, everything, so it can fully discharge capacitors and memory. This can take anywhere from 4 - 24 hours (although it MIGHT work in less than 30 Min), so pick a time that you are not going to be using unit, like overnight and while at work.
  3. After leaving it disconnected overnight, repower it (but don't turn it on) with just the basic connections (no eSATA) and let it sit until it gets a full download, which could take a long time. Basic OS download should be complete once you see time, or dot (depending on your settings), appear on front panel, usually within 3-7 minutes. IPG may take up to an hour, but unit could be turned on at this point.
  4. If it works, unpower unit and reconnect as normal, consider yourself lucky you didn't have to swap it out.
  5. BTW, leaving unit off while repowering and downloading is always a good idea and should be done whenver you may reboot unit. Powering on while downloading OS can result in early fragmentation of memory and erratic results.
HDD Defrag. To defrag drive:
  1. Set unit's MAIN/PIP channels to non-bufferable channels, such as music channel, so that drive is not being used.
  2. Wait a few moments to verify hard disk activity stops (listen).
  3. Press Power on front to turn the unit off, then wait.
  4. Drive should start defragging after about 5 minutes of inactivity.

NOTE: Process can take several hours to all day and will restart if content is deleted or power down sequence is repeated. For maximum efficiency, consider turning off unit, then do a front panel soft reboot (VOL-, VOL +, INFO) and leave unit powered off until you hear it go into defrag mode. Then just leave it off while you go to work, to bed, etc.
V/H Resolution Information. If you are using SA8300HD/SA8000HD, diagnostic page 30 shows MPEG decoder input vertical/horizontal resolutions from cable company.

Memory Info. Memory Map for 8300:
  • Flash = 512Kb
  • Application Dram = 64Mb
  • Media Dram = 32Mb [SD versons have 16Mb Media decoding Dram]
  • Mpeg Encoding Dram = 16Mb
  • Non-Volatile Memory = 8Kb

Cab files for all recordings are stored in NVM, along with all other settings/preferences. Use of Favorites, among other settings, uses most of this memory. Hard reboot reads off drive and/or account memory to refresh NVM, whereas pulling power plug alone, does not. This is simplistic explanation, not gospel. Cable operators may also have ability to use some of Media Dram for overlay technologies when application dram is too full, thus reducing overall PQ.

Signal Levels. General info regarding diagnostic pages and signal level data displayed:
  • ANSI SCTE 40 2004 "Digital Cable Network Interface Standard" establishes "acceptable" levels. Free download from SCTE Website .
  • Digital QAM carrier, STB Input Level: -12 to +15 dBmV for 256QAM and -15 to +15 dBmV for 64QAM.

Minimum S/N: 33 dB for 256QAM, 27 dB for 64 QAM and 43 dB for Analog. [Also known as C/(N+I).]
  • FDC QPSK carrier, STB Input Level: -15 to +15 dBmV

Minimum S/N: 20 dB
  • RDC QPSK reverse carrier, STB Output Level: +25 dBmV to +53 dBmV. (+85 to +113 dBuV is specified in referenced ANSI SCTE 55-2 2002.) Since return loss back to neighborhood node will vary depending on where you are in power divider/amplifier chain, RDC value will be automatically adjusted for more/less equal strength as received at node. If RDC is at MAX, it may have run out of oomph....
  • CURRENT FDC (Forward Data Channel) refers to I-N channel used to download software and program guide info to unit.

Level: Should be -15 to +15 dBmV

S/N: Should be 20 dB or more
  • CURRENT RDC (Reverse Data Channel) refers to I-N channel used to send user's PPV/On-Demand and other commands back to node.

Power: Varies depending on where you are in cable power amplifier/divider chain

Delay: Signal Propagation Delay from unit to node (Q: One-way or Round-Trip?)
  • CURRENT QAM refers to currently tuned video channel:

Level: Should be -12 to +15 dBmV for QAM256

S/N: Should be 33 dB (or more) for QAM256 [This is more important than level]

Seconds: How long channel has been tuned.

Corr Bytes: How many bytes were detected in error and corrected since first tuned

Uncor Blks: How many data blocks that failed parity check, but could not be corrected.

Errs Avg/Inst: Average and Instantaneous Bit (byte? block?) Error Rates.
SDV Diagnostics. For those interested in how SDV appears in the diag screens, new versions of the SARA firmware have some SDV specific screens:

Page 37 - Switched Digital Video

Page 38 - SDV MINI Carousel

Page 39 - SDV Session Info

Page 39 seems to display the most data of interest so far. Here is how some of the fields behave with different channel types:

Fixed QAM/analog:

Name-Status: SDV61444-Ready

SamSvcld/Type: /Broadcast

Act Time: n/a

SDV Freq: 0MHz

SDV Channel:

Name-Status: SDV61444-Pending (until lock), then -Ready

SamSvcld/Type: /Switched

Act Time:

SDV Freq: Changes depending on SDV pool that gets assigned

Once you check the data for a few channels, you begin to figure out which QAM frequencies are assigned to the SDV pool and can identify them quite easily from the data on page 1.

Miscellaneous.
Clearing Pop-up Windows. UG-18 You can get rid of pop-up windows by pressing Exit.

Program Distribution. 8300HD has 2 tuners and 2 outputs that may be used at same time. Archive To VCR option uses Composite/S-Video connection to "archive" recorded program to VCR/DVD. However, it can also be used to "view" downconverted recorded program on alternate TV while viewing different live/recorded program on main TV or recording two other programs on 8300HD. Also, depending on software version/cableco, 8300HD may be similarly connected to one device via HDMI and another device via Component to view same recorded/live program on different TVs at same time. Component/HDMI no longer work for some, but Composite/S-Video still work with Archive To VCR option for everyone.

Viewing A Third Program. No matter how many tuners 8300HD has, there are times when they are simply not enough. There is nothing to keep you from hooking up an antenna to ANT input on TV and switching to that input to view third program, to keep you from splitting your cable and running 2nd line to TV, or to keep you from running 2nd line to VCR and then to TV to view/record 3rd program.

Macro - Automate Remote Turn On. To automate remote turn-on and stay on whatever channel you previously had on (instead of a dedicated turn-on channel) without using the power button, go to General Settings/Viewer:power On option. In list of Power On channels, select Last Channel. Now, no matter how you choose to turn unit on (except when using a dedicated wake up timer), it will go to last channel viewed. If you want to set an easy macro, make sure General Settings/Set:power-On Keys option is set to Power/Numeric. Then in macro, choose non-existing channel (such as "000") to turn on unit, it will turn on, but not change channels.

NOTE: Some software versions may react differently when entering non-existing channel number. In these instances, some folks have had success by entering channel number followed by "Last" to tune to previous channel.

Also, those of you with on/off issues, there are more tricks you can do. Someone mentioned that they can't use channel "0" because it changes to "1", and another says that the guide comes up whenever it's powered on. Use the "EXIT" button to clear commands before they are used. Example: to power on, macro in channel "0" with single press of "0", then press Exit. The channel never changes and the guide data is quickly erased too. The "EXIT" button clears all on-screen graphics and aborts commands any time it's used.

Anamorphic DVDs.

First some background. Basically, Anamorphic DVDs are SD DVDs that have wide screen image "Squeezed" rather than recorded in letterbox format (where upper/lower black bars are wasted). This results in DVD with more resolution. While some DVD recorders/formats support inclusion of anamorphic (16:9) flag, you do not really need flag if you can view DVDs in "stretch" mode. If DVD recorder does have ability to set this flag, then "stretch" will automatically occur in DVD player.

To make this work you need to get SA8300HD to "squeeze" images. 8300HD will do this on Composite/S-Video outputs when in SD mode. Once in SD mode, Zoom button (usually #) on remote will go to "Stretch 480i" mode. This results in 16:9 image being squeezed into 4:3 space so you can record it. It is recommended you use S-Video connection on 8300 for these recordings. Note: when 8300HD is in SD mode, Component outputs will be magenta in color - so you need to be watching what you are doing through DVD recorder output.

Instructions:
  1. With TV tuned to 8300 input, turn 8300 off.
  2. Press both Guide/Info on front panel of 8300.
  3. Setup Wizard will come up - Simply press "A" to go into SD mode.
  4. Do Hard Reboot (described earlier).
  5. Select program to be recorded and make sure DVD recorder is ready to record.
  6. Start DVD recorder, play program on 8300, and press "#" once to get into Stretch (actually Squeeze) mode.
  7. When done and ready to return 8300 to regular HD operation, go through Setup Wizard again. This time press "B" to set up HD mode with desired resolutions and then do a Hard Reboot again.

Note: The Hard Reboot steps were needed with 1.88.17.100 because 8300 would randomly drop out of SD mode, go back to normal letterboxed mode, and then come on in SD mode when turned on next day. Hard Reboot with desired mode (SD or HD) seems to force 8300 to remember correct mode. This does not apply to 1.89.x.x or later software.

New Features - 1.88.x.x (May not be applicable to every cableco)
  • Enhanced HDD Spin Down - After 15 minutes of inactivity between 1:00am and 1:15am, the HDD will spin-down without powering off the STB, and a screen saver with an MSO configurable logo/graphic will be displayed while the HDD is spun-down. If an external SATA HDD is attached to the DVR, it will also spin down when the internal HDD spins down.
  • Currently Recording Option - When the user selects a currently recording program from the Recorded List, DVR will always display a Currently Recording Program Options screen with “Play from beginning” as the default highlighted option.
  • Kick Out To Live - Let's say you schedule the recording of a program and go out for dinner. When you get home, you begin watching the recorded program from the beginning while the rest is still recording. When the recording ends, you are no longer 'kicked out' of your viewing.
  • Live Or Time Shifted Video Indicator – Added the API for indicating whether user is watching Live or time-shifted video.
  • Activated Front Panel AUX Input - Front panel auxiliary input is activated.
  • Macrovision On AUX Input – Turned on the macrovision protection on AUX input.
  • Return To Live Button - While watching a DVR recording playback, pressing the LIVE remote button will tune the last Live TV channel that was previously viewed.
  • 4th FFWD/REW Speed – Adds a 4th fast forward and rewind trick mode speed at 128x. A fourth arrow will be displayed on the trick mode banner for each direction.
  • Broadcast Flag – Broadcast flag is activated.
  • 1394 Support On 8300HD – 1394 port is active on 8300 HD boxes.
  • Improved Picture Quality With "Copy to VCR" Recording - This was inadvertently broken in version 1.87.19a and then inadvertently fixed in version 1.87.27, which was not widely released. Most users are probably seeing it with version 1.88.x.x, so it has been included in ths list even though it is not a new feature.

New Features - 1.89.x.x (May not be applicable to every cableco)
  • Support for Daylight Savings Time (DST)
  • Second line of text now includes show's rating if available.
  • Categories (Talk Shows, Sci-Fi) are now shown in description details.
  • NEW Flag now displayed in IPG (displays on date/time line in Menu and on last line of Program Description). Note: requires Tribune Data Version 2, otherwise all programs may be listed as NEW.
  • Memory management improvements coupled with application server settings to prevent loss of IPG data and improve 3rd party app loading.
  • Switched Digital Video (SDV) support.
  • Recording future-dated episodes provides options for those wanting to record episodes other than First Run, but not all rerun episodes:

On this channel this day in this time slot

On this channel at any time

On this channel any day in this time slot
  • Program description is now available with Info button while watching recorded program instead of only showing Playback channel. Note: Cableco option.
  • If you block a rating, lets say PG-13, then all references anywhere in system to any program with PG-13 rating says "Title Blocked" until you enter four-digit code to unlock system.
  • DAY UP and DAY DOWN buttons on remote (if you have them) are fully operational.
  • If you enter channel number that doesn't exist, rather than flashing ??? in channel number field and then doing nothing, it instead switches to next channel above channel you requested.
  • Enhanced Channel Maps.
  • MPEG Splicing API on all DVR boxes to support Liberate “On Ramp/OCAP".
  • High Resolution screens on 8300. Note: Not recommended for deployment at this time.
  • Fix for On-Demand Quick button.
  • EAS fixes within ATI drivers.

Bug(s) Fixed in 1.89.x.x (Not all-inclusive)
  • Turns On In 480i Mode - If General Settings/Viewer: Power On is set to HD channel or Last Channel (if that was HD), unit used to be in 480i mode when you turned it on. If you then tuned to an SD channel and back, it changed to correct HD mode. However, this could be minimized by setting Power On option to SD channel. It used to then power up in correct mode and change to HD when you tune dto HD channel. Another workaround was too simply cycle through zoom modes using "#". You no longer have to do either.
  • Start From Beginning/Kick Out To Live - If you select a recording in progress from Recorded List, you get Start From Beginning option. If you select this, you can watch recording through to end without getting "kicked out to live" when live program ends. However, if you now simply tune to desired program and rewind to beginning, you no longer get "kicked out to live" when program ends.
  • Padding Start/Stop Times - Start/Stop times for scheduled recordings set for more often than "once a week" can be altered. However, any changes had to be made while scheduling those recordings. Once scheduled, they had to be cancelled and rescheduled with desired changes. Now changes are saved without need to cancel/reschedule.
Bug(s) Remaining after 1.89.x.x (Not all-inclusive)
  • Start/Stop times for scheduled recordings set for more often than "once a week" can be altered and changes saved. However, changes for weekly or less frequent recordings are only applied to next scheduled recording and not saved for future recordings.
  • When switching from live TV to previously recorded program, channel indicator does not change to Playback channel number, it remains where it was before switching. Might cause some confusion.
  • Issue not resolved (same as before): When you are in FF mode and hit Replay, then hit FF again, you go to next higher FF step instead of FF1. When you are in top step FF and hit Instant Replay, then hit FF again, you go to Play instead of FF1.
  • When Auto-erase is on, "NOT ENOUGH SPACE" screen may be shown.
  • Cancelling changes during editing may remove program from Series recording list.
  • Unit display and channel banner indicate recording in progress, but program may not be listed in Recording List.
  • "NOT ENOUGH SPACE" overlay does not display when editing future recording and disk is full.
  • Wake-Up Timer uses incorrect duration during HDD Spin-Down.
  • End time of scheduled recording not extended past end of program.
  • After firmware upgrade, video may be output via Composite when unit is off. Simple reboot will fix this.

New Features - 1.91.14.102 (From Cablevision user - May not be applicable to every cableco)
  • Multiple bookmarks so you can resume any recording from where you left off.
  • Recorded show info when hitting the info button during playback.
  • Jumps back when you hit play while fast forwarding in speeds 3 and 4.

See less See more
#8,678 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsnls /forum/post/19348269

I recently had this problem with my 8300HD STB. I lost the video on the TV and the screen went black, but I still had audio. I was still able to see the guide and the "My DVR" library of scheduled and recorded shows. After checking out everything I found that the PIP via the STB had video and audio. If I swapped pictures, the PIP showed the new video and the main screen still remained black. I tried a regular re-boot of the STB and everything is back to normal.

Apparently one of the drives was not showing the video. Could this possibly be a sign that the box is going and should be swapped out? I have it for a few years and it has circa 2007 SARA software.

Since a reboot corrected the problem, it probably is a software bug. If it keeps happening on a regular basis, it might be hardware and changing the box would be needed. A new box would still have the circa 2007 SARA software.

#8,679 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB /forum/post/19350929

Since a reboot corrected the problem, it probably is a software bug. If it keeps happening on a regular basis, it might be hardware and changing the box would be needed. A new box would still have the circa 2007 SARA software.

I see my software version is same as yours. If I do replace the box I would be getting a Cisco RNG-200, since that is what Comcast is issuing in my area. I've read pros and cons about the new boxes. Even if my problem never repeats itself, do you see any advantage to me replacing the 8300 with the 200? Thanks for your help.

#8,680 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsnls /forum/post/19351542

I see my software version is same as yours. If I do replace the box I would be getting a Cisco RNG-200, since that is what Comcast is issuing in my area. I've read pros and cons about the new boxes. Even if my problem never repeats itself, do you see any advantage to me replacing the 8300 with the 200? Thanks for your help.

There is a slight difference with the SARA version used on the Cisco RNG-200 because the Cisco RNG-200 uses a cable card. In Houston, the Cisco RNG-200 SARA version shows program information for a recorded show that is being played back by just pressing the info key, but the SA 8300 HD SARA version only shows the playback channel information. This could be a configuration parameter that is different. When the Cisco RNG-200 first came out there were a lot of complaints but I think most of those were corrected. I haven't seen any reason to exchange the SA 8300 for a Cisco RNG-200.

Comcast is replacing SARA with different DVR software and guide that is based on their software used on the Motorola STBs. The conversion is ongoing and should be completed in early 2011. The new software has a problem with the HDMI audio on the 8300 HD but works correctly on the Cisco RNG-200. Comcast is working on a patch for this, but if you have that problem it might be worth exchanging the 8300 HD for a Cisco RNG-200.

For more information on Comcast's New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Box, click on the following link:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html

#8,681 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB /forum/post/19354292

There is a slight difference with the SARA version used on the Cisco RNG-200 because the Cisco RNG-200 uses a cable card. In Houston, the Cisco RNG-200 SARA version shows program information for a recorded show that is being played back by just pressing the info key, but the SA 8300 HD SARA version only shows the playback channel information. This could be a configuration parameter that is different. When the Cisco RNG-200 first came out there were a lot of complaints but I think most of those were corrected. I haven't seen any reason to exchange the SA 8300 for a Cisco RNG-200.

Comcast is replacing SARA with different DVR software and guide that is based on their software used on the Motorola STBs. The conversion is ongoing and should be completed in early 2011. The new software has a problem with the HDMI audio on the 8300 HD but works correctly on the Cisco RNG-200. Comcast is working on a patch for this, but if you have that problem it might be worth exchanging the 8300 HD for a Cisco RNG-200.

For more information on Comcast's New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Box, click on the following link:

Again, thank you. You have been very helpful. The blog contains some excellent information. I'll stick with the 8300 until I start having problems.

#8,682 ·
This is the problem I discussed in my previous post.

These posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

Quote:
I just received my guide update overnight (Southern NH). My question is in regards to Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. So before the change I was able to get DD 5.1 on most every channel (once I set it up properly). However after the guide change it doesn't work.

I searched in the setup menus and found that my Dolby Digital was "Off". So I turned it "On" and yet it still is not functioning like it did last night.

I am using and HDMI for video, optical cable for audio. I read that this setup can sometimes cause 5.1 problems, but how could it be working yesterday and now not working with just a guide update.

Any assistance getting me back to 5.1 would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Seth

Seth | October 20, 2010 9:31 AM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-35337
Quote:
Hello Seth - The SA cable boxes and this new guide should be treating all audio output types equally without any custom customer configuration necessary. However, we uncovered an issue during our Connecticut guide deployments where the HDMI cable was taking precedence over any other audio output type.

Customers using both HDMI cables and optical audio cables together (with the HDMI cable feeding the TV and the optical audio cable feeding the surround sound system) are not receiving Dolby digital audio though their surround sound system. This is certainly not intended and not by design. The issue has been identified and a fix is coming soon.

A short term work around would be to use component cables for video or in most all areas you can swap your current cable box for an RNG 200 (a DVR) or RNG 150 (HD only box) where this identified issue is not present.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Seth | October 20, 2010 7:38 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-35353

#8,683 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB /forum/post/19354292

There is a slight difference with the SARA version used on the Cisco RNG-200 because the Cisco RNG-200 uses a cable card. In Houston, the Cisco RNG-200 SARA version shows program information for a recorded show that is being played back by just pressing the info key, but the SA 8300 HD SARA version only shows the playback channel information. This could be a configuration parameter that is different.

FYI: My SA8240HDC with SARA v1.90.5.a113 has the Recorded Show info when you press the Info button during playback. My old SA8300 SARA version unknown, did not have that feature. So I believe it is a SARA version issue as opposed to a Box Model issue. Both the SA8240HDC and RNG-200 have much more on-board RAM available, amount of available memory might affect which SARA Version a box gets.

I wonder why Cox never deployed the Cisco RNG-200, It also has a 1GHz Tuner.

#8,685 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/19370450

Isn't the RNG-200 more of a omnibus phone, Internet, home network type device, rather than a simple DVR? I ask because I do not know. I am unfamiliar with the RNG-200.

Here is a description of the RNG200 HD DVR.
Quote:
Cisco RNG200 HD DVR

On-Demand Digital Entertainment

Television and digital entertainment in your home may never be the same. With the Cisco RNG200 All-Digital High-Definition Digital Video Recorder, you can watch programming on your schedule-watch what you want, when you want—and more.

With this advanced interactive set-top you can record up to 90 hours of your favorite programming, record one program while watching or recording another and even view two separate video sources simultaneously.

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/pr...op-rng200.html

#8,686 ·
Comcast just changed my box's guide, southern NH too. Very annoying, love the fact that you constantly have to scroll through ads on the bottom of the screen.

Anyway, I can no longer find the pass through option and my DVR is no longer passing through broadcast resolutions, it's changing everything to 1080i (I have all the resolutions selected in the box itself) on the HD channels and 480p on the SD's. There is no more option for this in the guide settings menu.

Is it there somewhere? How do I change it to pass through with this new guide configuration?

Also, it seemed to have changed my audio settings? What are the recommended settings for someone with a good setup? When I turn Dolby Digfital (which I assumed was 5.1) on in the new Guide settings I suddenly get 2.1 output only. Also, given my setup should I set the audio compression to "none" it defaulted to "heavy"?

I'm using component for video and the single coax cable for audio, by the way.

This new Guide friggin' sucks ass.

#8,687 ·
The audio issue is an unintended glitch on Comcast's part. Apparently a fix has been created and is being tested in preparation for roll out very soon. Cisco RNG models aren't affected, so if you don't want to wait for the fix, you could swap out the SA8300 for one of those.

The pass through issue is not a glitch. Comcast purposely eliminated it for SA users because the Motorola customers with the A28 guide don't have it, never have with previous versions, and the SARA to S25 upgrade for SA areas was done in the name of uniformity with what the Motorola customers have. That's also why PIP is toast. Looking into the future, PIP is probably done for good, but if enough people hammer Comcast on pass through, it might be brought back. Of course it should never have gotten the axe in the first place.

#8,688 ·
You're friggin' kidding me?! I don't have pass through anymore because somebody else never had it to begin with? Christ, that makes no sense.

Fox broadcasts in 720p which I watch all the time, as do some others, having the box crappily convert it to 1080i is obnoxious.

Honestly, I think I'll start seriously looking into satellite options.

#8,689 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsnls /forum/post/19348269

I recently had this problem with my 8300HD STB. I lost the video on the TV and the screen went black, but I still had audio. I was still able to see the guide and the "My DVR" library of scheduled and recorded shows. After checking out everything I found that the PIP via the STB had video and audio. If I swapped pictures, the PIP showed the new video and the main screen still remained black. I tried a regular re-boot of the STB and everything is back to normal.

Mine did that the other night after the baseball game. But after random button pressing it returned to normal.

#8,690 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/19376228

Mine did that the other night after the baseball game. But after random button pressing it returned to normal.

This occured to me after watching a saved show on the DVR library. I switched backed to an HD channel and within a few minutes the screen went black and the audio remained. The only way I could correct it was to re-boot the box. It hasn't happened since. I use HDMI and first assumed it had something to do with this connection but the PIP via the box was OK, so it had to be something else.

#8,691 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins /forum/post/19375778

You're friggin' kidding me?! I don't have pass through anymore because somebody else never had it to begin with? Christ, that makes no sense.

Fox broadcasts in 720p which I watch all the time, as do some others, having the box crappily convert it to 1080i is obnoxious.

Honestly, I think I'll start seriously looking into satellite options.

You can use the Setup Wizard to select either 1080i or 720p on the new guide. The Setup Wizard is the only way to change it.

There are recent posts about this in Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

#8,692 ·
Is there any way to set the volume in the STB to remain at the maximum setting of "30"? I find this is the best setting. When the box re-boots after a power glitch or outage, it always goes back to "17" which requires me to increase the volume on the box back to "30". There is no option in the 'menu' for this function.

S/A 8300-HD/DVR (SARA)

#8,693 ·
In the menu select "audio volume control" and select "variable". Run the volume up to 30. Then select "fixed". This should keep it at 30 even if the box loses power. Does on mine anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsnls /forum/post/19489404

Is there any way to set the volume in the STB to remain at the maximum setting of "30"? I find this is the best setting. When the box re-boots after a power glitch or outage, it always goes back to "17" which requires me to increase the volume on the box back to "30". There is no option in the 'menu' for this function.

S/A 8300-HD/DVR (SARA)

#8,694 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV /forum/post/19490876

In the menu select "audio volume control" and select "variable". Run the volume up to 30. Then select "fixed". This should keep it at 30 even if the box loses power. Does on mine anyway.

As I stated, there is no option in the menu for this, i.e. "audio volume control". My SARA software version is 1.89.22.2. Is it possible your version is newer, which may include this option?

#8,695 ·
Yep, could be my version has this and yours doesn't. Just to be sure, you did hit menu twice to get the expanded menu, right? Please don't take offense at this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsnls /forum/post/19493262

As I stated, there is no option in the menu for this, i.e. "audio volume control". My SARA software version is 1.89.22.2. Is it possible your version is newer, which may include this option?

#8,699 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ /forum/post/19495698

...Does your box reboot that often?

No, only during the frequent lightning and thunderstorms during the summer. Also, I have it plugged into a Panamax which shuts it down when it detects unsafe low or high voltage. I prefer it connected this way since a neighbor had their box, not connected to any protection, fried during a storm.

#8,700 ·
I may have missed this a more than a few pages back, but the past month my cable box downstairs converts the signal instead of passing through to 1080i which I had set. My box upstairs (same 8300HD) does not. I've went back through the setup wizard and it still changes from 480i, 720p, etc.

I haven't changed anything, but I know how things get reset sometimes.

#8,702 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman10101 /forum/post/19626330

I have an SA 8300 HD with Cablevision that drops scheduled programs occasionally. Would this be a Cablevision issue or a hardware issue? Anyone else experience this? Thanks.

I also have Cablevision and what sometimes happens to me is that if a first run weekly recording doesn't air for 2 weeks it will drop from my scheduled recording list. A reboot of the box will bring back the placeholder. I haven't heard many others complain of the same thing so it could be specific box related rather then software.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.