AVS Forum banner

Toledo, OH - HDTV

241K views 2K replies 163 participants last post by  snowdog 88 
#1 ·
Edited by Moderator, 8/21/09

Toledo over-the-air HDTV channels, network affiliations , digital, (legacy) channel numbers, subchannels:

WTOL CBS 11 (11)

-1 CBS HD

-2 News Now (SD)

WTVG ABC 13 (13)

-1 ABC HD

-2 LiveWell HD (SD)

-3 Weather Now (SD)

WNWO NBC 49 (24)

-1 NBC HD

-2 RTN Retro TV (SD)

-3 America One TV (SD)

WGTE PBS 29 (30)

-1 PBS HD

-2 PBS Family (SD)

-3 PBS Create (SD)

WUPW FOX 46 (36)

-1 FOX HD

Toledo over-the-air Digital SD Channels:

WLMB Ind 5 (40)

-1 Independent programming (SD)

Toledo Cable and IPTV providers:

Buckeye Cablesystem local HD lineup:

605 WT05 The CW HD

611 WTOL CBS HD

613 WTVG ABC HD

624 WNWO NBC HD

630 WGTE PBS HD

636 WUPW FOX HD

TWC Waterville local HD lineup:

703 WGTE PBS HD

707 WUPW FOX HD

710 WNWO NBC HD

711 WTOL CBS HD

713 WTVG ABC HD

AT&T U-verse local HD lineup:

FOX HD WUPW

NBC HD WNWO

ABC HD WTVG

PBS HD WGTE

CBS HD WTOL

DBS Providers Local HD

DirecTV:

FOX HD WUPW

NBC HD WNWO

CBS HD WTOL

ABC HD WTVG

PBS HD WGTE

Dish Network:

No local channels.

See less See more
#1,729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 /forum/post/19283296

I was watching the post game show on Fox while I was waiting for The Simpsons and it looked really smooth looking and not sharp at all. The Simpsons just started and it look's just as good as it ever did. Did anyone else even notice?

Fox's 720P is just awful. Football looks nasty in 720P, Try switching back and forth between CBS 1080i football and Fox 720P in real time. My 76 year old mother was shocked at the PQ difference.

The Simpsons is a cartoon. That is all that 720P should be used for.

Compare 13's 720P news to WGN 1080i news. Not even in the same universe of PQ.

#1,730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 /forum/post/19284494

Fox's 720P is just awful. Football looks nasty in 720P, Try switching back and forth between CBS 1080i football and Fox 720P in real time. My 76 year old mother was shocked at the PQ difference.

The Simpsons is a cartoon. That is all that 720P should be used for.

Compare 13's 720P news to WGN 1080i news. Not even in the same universe of PQ.

Well I would defiantly say WGN is of much higher quality, but 13 ABCs HD broadcasts don't look that grade, although it is pretty good. If you compare WGNs 1080i news broadcast to Fox News Channels 720ps broadcast, it's much more comparable.

I've never noticed Fox's HD looking that bad before, I mean the guys were just sitting there talking and it looked really bad, even the non-animated commercials during The Simpsons looked much better.

#1,731 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 /forum/post/19283296

I was watching the post game show on Fox while I was waiting for The Simpsons and it looked really smooth looking and not sharp at all. The Simpsons just started and it look's just as good as it ever did. Did anyone else even notice?

Sure, lots of viewers.

FOX's pre and post game studio programs for live sports are not native 720p HDTV, and never been HD. They are 480i upconverted to 720p. This is a long standing situation and well known here at AVS.

#1,732 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/19285443

Sure, lots of viewers.

FOX's pre and post game studio programs for live sports are not native 720p HDTV, and never been HD. They are 480i upconverted to 720p. This is a long standing situation and well known here at AVS.

I see, sorry about that but I wasn't aware because I'm not a big NFL fan. Anyway I wonder why they would do that, practically everything is in HD these days, at least it's 16:9 I guess.

#1,733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod /forum/post/19234792

HD unfortunately. I didn't even know there was an SD feed.

Redzone is only available in HD (on Buckeye at least).It looks great on my tv..

I see nothing has changed on this forum... You guys think that HD is just plug & play...well it is not. I am changing my facility over to HD, which means everything down the line needs re-worked, re-bought and re-designed. Like I have said in the past, HD is still in infant. For example, one major network this NFL year is shooting full 16x9, not protecting for 4x3. So 3 (4?) years into the NFL being HD, networks are just starting to shed the SD monkey. Hang in there, we're working to get things back to a happy standard.

What you guys should be complaining about is show & spot producers sending programming via FTP sites. The non-standard files, compression gone mad files all needing transcoded, resulting in lousy PQ on your expensive sets... all so they don't have to pay for HD/Optical media costs. How ironic...

I noticed one advertiser has gotten away from FTP transmission (if you will) because their spots looked so bad. Trust me, it's like watching composite VHS in long play. Here's a hint at which ones may be FTP'd. Watch a commercial, try reading the fonts. One may be clean, but check the line above or below, it will have an interlaced look to it. It will drive you crazy that this crap is airing after all the money all of us have spent on our systems.

#1,734 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 /forum/post/19285517

I see, sorry about that but I wasn't aware because I'm not a big NFL fan. Anyway I wonder why they would do that, practically everything is in HD these days, at least it's 16:9 I guess.

FOX made a large investment in the LA studio infrastructure just before they went HD, and the bean counters need to amortize the cost before the next upgrade.

#1,735 ·
Was Pawn Stars originally unconverted? I'm watching one of the early episodes on the History channel and the guide says the original air date was 8/30/2009. The picture is very fuzzy looking and so is the text but the History channel logo and the commercials are clear as they should be. Is there something wrong here?

#1,736 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 /forum/post/19355409

Was Pawn Stars originally unconverted? I'm watching one of the early episodes on the History channel and the guide says the original air date was 8/30/2009. The picture is very fuzzy looking and so is the text but the History channel logo and the commercials are clear as they should be. Is there something wrong here?

No. Not sure what you watched but every episode I have ever seen looks pretty good (I am am fussy).

Unlike channel 13's pseudo HD. ABC 720P looks as bad as the old 480P Fox widescreen. Just dump it and go 1080i.

#1,737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 /forum/post/19356153

No. Not sure what you watched but every episode I have ever seen looks pretty good (I am am fussy).

Unlike channel 13's pseudo HD. ABC 720P looks as bad as the old 480P Fox widescreen. Just dump it and go 1080i.

I'm watching the newest episode now and it looks good.

Must of just been History then because they episode that aired after it looked fine too.

#1,738 ·
Anyone else notice or are having issues with their dvr , when recording some programs, cutting off the end of the program early and even sometimes starting a program late? Been getting worse lately. I got the Pace 787x dvr. I'm not talking about when a show runs over (like a football game or something).

#1,739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart219 /forum/post/19381063

Anyone else notice or are having issues with their dvr , when recording some programs, cutting off the end of the program early and even sometimes starting a program late? Been getting worse lately. I got the Pace 787x dvr. I'm not talking about when a show runs over (like a football game or something).

Provider?

#1,741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart219 /forum/post/19381063

How late? If its just a few seconds or two, thats normal. If you're talking about a minute or more, it could be your dvr's clock. Pull the power plug, let it sit for a few minutes, then plug it back in. That will re-sync the clocks.

#1,743 ·
Can anyone recommend an outdoor antenna for West Toledo? I definitely want to get the Toledo stations in rock-solid, but getting Detroit stations would be nice (if possible).

I have been living in Chicago for the last two years, and got addicted to using Windows Media Center with an antenna. I hooked up my Winegard SS-3000 inside, but it was not pulling in the Toledo stations very consistently.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

#1,745 ·
I have the antenna pointed East, and can pick up the channels some of the time, but not consistently. They frequently get pixelated and/or cut out entirely. There are a lot of trees around here, which I think is part of the problem. I think an outdoor antenna should solve the problem, but don't know which one(s) to look at.

#1,746 ·
I found a better spot in the house, and I can now reliably pick up the Toledo stations. I'd still rather switch to an outdoor model, as where I have the antenna currently is not terribly convenient. Any recommendations?

Also, is picking up the Detroit stations an option or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks!

#1,747 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub75 /forum/post/19453142

I found a better spot in the house, and I can now reliably pick up the Toledo stations. I'd still rather switch to an outdoor model, as where I have the antenna currently is not terribly convenient. Any recommendations?

Also, is picking up the Detroit stations an option or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks!

Detroit is probably going to be difficult. I live only 30 miles south of Toledo and the channels are really hard to pick up here and you're probably 60 miles or farther away from Detroit? I wouldn't count on it but it's possible. I listen to the Detroit radio station 89x every single day so there's hope.

#1,751 ·
It depends on many variables, mostly on how much cash you want to spend.

I am in Bryan, OH and pull Detriot in without any issues. (90 Miles)

Run a TVFool report for your address and post it.

If you are lost, just PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 /forum/post/19453794

Detroit is probably going to be difficult. I live only 30 miles south of Toledo and the channels are really hard to pick up here and you're probably 60 miles or farther away from Detroit? I wouldn't count on it but it's possible. I listen to the Detroit radio station 89x every single day so there's hope.

#1,752 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod /forum/post/19493824

The Blade had an ad in it today that said Buckeye was finally releasing that DVR software upgrade they promised a while ago. Still not seeing anything though. Anyone get it?

We received the update this afternoon on our Motorola box.

The Pace box still has the old software on it.

First impression is that the new software is much faster than the old. I just wish both machines had it!

#1,753 ·
Anyone have a list of what this new upgrade does? Do we finally get internet scheduling? The only thing I noticed different is the dvr shows are now in folders.

I got my update this morning, although I had no sound coming out of the box. I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.