AVS Forum banner

Official BDV-E770W Thread

Tags
sony
63K views 194 replies 39 participants last post by  AutobahnSHO 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone! This is my first time starting a thread & reviewing anything on AVS Forum, so please be gentle...

Last month I purchased one of the last Sony HT-CT500 Sound Bars left in Phoenix, AZ at the local Fry's Electronics, hoping for a small footprint solution for my home theater needs.

I found that the soundbar produced enough volume and did a great job of integrating my inputs (PS3, DirecTV HDDVR, HDMI Laptop) but I didn't care for the lack of true surround sound, especially when watching movies and HD television programs.

So I went back to Fry's Electronics, and spoke with a salesman about the brand new Sony BDV-E770W . It was a $250 more than the Sony Soundbar, but it had tons more to offer: internet radio ( Slacker , Pandora ); Video On Demand ( Sony's Qriocity ), an XMB similar to the Playstation 3, and best of all... wireless surround speakers. The two wireless rear speakers (TA-SA200WR) use the Sony S-AIR technology to communicate with the main unit by means of a medium sized box & amplifier, and are the same size as the front left/right speakers and have a 167w max output.

I was immediately impressed with the amount of sound produced by such small speakers
, according to the Sony specifications it has 1000w total system output. If you see them in person, you will be surprised at how loud these little speakers can get.

Initial setup:

The first difficulty I encountered was the total lack of HDMI inputs.
It does allow for two digital audio inputs- an optical input for "TV" and a digital PCM input for "SAT/CABLE". Luckily my Sony Bravia TV ( KDL-46W3000 ) has several HD inputs, so I was able to use the component out for my DirecTV HD DVR HR22-100 , HDMI in from the Sony BDV-E770W, HDMI in from my laptop PC, and HDMI from my PS3. If DirecTV decides to start broadcasting everything in 1080p, I might need to get an HDMI input box, but until then I'm fine with 1080i.

It took about 2 hours to get everything unpacked, all the cables routed in my armoir, pair the S-AIR surround speakers with the main unit, and let the auto-configure microphone set the levels for each speaker. The XMB style interface is quite similar to my Bravia TV & the PS3 I own, so navigation was pretty easy. Configuring the WiFi was probably the biggest pain, and took me quite a few times through manual configuration and trial & error before it recognized my network. Perhaps this part of the setup would have been easier if it had better WiFi reception, as the included USB dongle is not very powerful.

After hooking everything up, I played a few minutes of the new Avatar Blu-ray and was amazed at how full the surround sound is, in addition to the superb downward-facing subwoofer. Sound quality gets a 10/10, and from what my ears can detect it remains clear and undistorted throughout the sonic range.

I haven't been able to test every internet feature yet, but Slacker radio works great, I especially like the selection of different genres available. Pandora isn't currently supported by this version of firmware, but I was told by a Sony Support rep via chat that it will be available in June. Hopefully Pandora will allow me to sign in and use my customized channels, I really enjoy the customization over the Slacker options.

Going forward I will be testing out more of the internet features, Qriocity, perhaps improving my wifi reception

Positives:

-Internet radio

-Bravia Sync works with my TV

-Amazing sound from a very small footprint

Negatives:

-Wireless USB dongle has very poor reception compared to my PS3

-Mirror finish on the front is a fingerprint magnet

-Pandora doesn't work just yet

Concerns:

-I'll have to keep an eye out for firmware update problems, as a few other early adopters have reported via the SonyStyle product reviews. I bought mine yesterday and checked for a network update, but thankfully it looks like it was updated prior to packaging or they have pulled the update.

-Getting my Logitech Harmony 520 remote to work with the receiver will take some time in order to get all the macros working correctly.

-Wireless reception is pretty lame and the best I can get is 30% strength from where it is currently located. I may set up a WiFi repeater node in the armoir where the TV & components are located.

I will do my best to answer any replies, or questions sent via PM, and I look forward to following this initial review with a follow-up review in a few weeks.

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujzeptu /forum/post/19385759

I verified on the 770w that if you are watching dvds/netflix it doesnt need audio out cabling. I just had video and it played through the speakers fine, so this should work for my projector the same.

As far as from the pc, I went ahead and got a 3.5mm mini jack to toslink cable to run audio to the 770w.

My question now is, Can the 770w just take audio in and play it without "needing" video or anything running on the 770w? Can I just have it sitting idle taking audio in and playing on my speakers?

You should be able to do this since you can listen to the FM tuner without TV or anything else being on or connected. Just select Audio with Function button on remote.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 /forum/post/19374406

I've been using one of these htib's with a Sony KDL-60EX700 TV for a couple of weeks and when changing sources on the TV or channels on the cable box all audio cuts out. Have to power cycle the BDV-E770W to get it back which takes a while since it first goes into standby before finally shutting down. I'm using the Audio Return Channel function (page 19 of BDV manual) which uses a single HDMI cable to send audio from TV to BDV (and video from BDV to TV). I also have a single HDMI between Comcast Motorola DCX-3400 DVR and TV. I don't seem to have any audio sync issues but the intermittent cutting out is getting very annoying. Anyone else using this interconnection and having similar probs? Also - pretty sure I have the latest firmware (how do you find the current version?) since it did an update right after I powered it up the first time (on wired home network).

Updating this issue: I do have latest firmware and problem appears to go away by turning off "Control for HDMI" and "Audio Return Channel" in Audio Setup. Had to run an optical cable from TV to BDV for TV sound. There are some drawbacks to this workaround: (1) Lipsynch issues which can't be corrected by A/V synch setting in BDV (2) Have to keep a third remote around to control volume. (3) Renders the Bravia Sync pretty much useless - have to turn all devices on separately with own remote.

#54 ·
jff6791, now you got me worried. I just bought a 770w and my KDL-60EX700 is on its way. I have in mind to have your exact initial connection scheme (HDMI from Dish Network receiver to TV, and HDMI with audio channel return from BDV to TV). Please tell me again what the problem was with that set up for you; you lost sound every time you changed the channel on your satellite box? Really? Also, what do you mean by "changing source on the TV"?

I would appreciate your input. I was really looking forward to making use of the Bravia sync functionalities between these two Sony products. Not sure anymore...

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared /forum/post/19410932

jff6791, now you got me worried. I just bought a 770w and my KDL-60EX700 is on its way. I have in mind to have your exact initial connection scheme (HDMI from Dish Network receiver to TV, and HDMI with audio channel return from BDV to TV). Please tell me again what the problem was with that set up for you; you lost sound every time you changed the channel on your satellite box? Really? Also, what do you mean by "changing source on the TV"?

I would appreciate your input. I was really looking forward to making use of the Bravia sync functionalities between these two Sony products. Not sure anymore...

Not using it with satellite - cable via Comcast/Motorola STB/DVR DCX3400. The frustrating thing is it doesn't happen with every channel change - just some times. But very annoying since it locks up the BVD and you have to power cycle it to get sound back. I thought it happened once when I changed the TV input to an internet app but have not been able to reproduce. I put a trouble ticket in at Sony support and their initial response was to try turning off "Control for HDMI" on BDV which was not the answer I was looking for and responded accordingly. They now want to torture me with phone support. I think they are aware of the issue but when or if it will be addressed is the question. Will post more info from them here if I get any.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 /forum/post/19411050

Not using it with satellite - cable via Comcast/Motorola STB/DVR DCX3400. The frustrating thing is it doesn't happen with every channel change - just some times. But very annoying since it locks up the BVD and you have to power cycle it to get sound back. I thought it happened once when I changed the TV input to an internet app but have not been able to reproduce. I put a trouble ticket in at Sony support and their initial response was to try turning off "Control for HDMI" on BDV which was not the answer I was looking for and responded accordingly. They now want to torture me with phone support. I think they are aware of the issue but when or if it will be addressed is the question. Will post more info from them here if I get any.

That would be great. Thanks. By the way, how recently did you buy your 770W and did you do any firmware updates? I got mine about a week ago. It did not say anything about a firmware update when I set it up. And how about the EX700; any firmware updates for it?

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared /forum/post/19413673

That would be great. Thanks. By the way, how recently did you buy your 770W and did you do any firmware updates? I got mine about a week ago. It did not say anything about a firmware update when I set it up. And how about the EX700; any firmware updates for it?

Got both TV and theater about three weeks ago. They are both set up to check automatically for updates (see System Settings). The BDV detected an update right after it was powered up and the TV does this function while in standby (off). Both units are on wired ethernet.

#58 ·
Well, audio wont play.

I have a 3.5mm to toslink cable from my pc (or mp3 player) into the toslink input port and nothing. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to play.

Is there some setting I need to check or anything special I have to do? Can others confirm this works? It says its a TV port, does that matter?

#59 ·
Can I use the HDMI 1.4 (with ethernet) connection from my my Sony KDL-60EX700 to my 770W (which is connected to the internet wirelessly through the supplied USB dongle) to connect the TV to the internet, and if so, how do I set that up? Would appreciate any thoughts.

#60 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujzeptu
Well, audio wont play.

I have a 3.5mm to toslink cable from my pc (or mp3 player) into the toslink input port and nothing. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to play.

Is there some setting I need to check or anything special I have to do? Can others confirm this works? It says its a TV port, does that matter?
Select TV on the theater input - hit "function" on remote until it shows up on the front panel display.

#61 ·
Yeah I have gone into inputs and gone to tv. It comes up with the black and blue background and just sits there with no audio. I've gone through the choices of music, news, etc and notta.

I did notice I get an error, "not in use" when I try sometimes. Is that a cable problem or something with my receiver or what?

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujzeptu /forum/post/19437519

Yeah I have gone into inputs and gone to tv. It comes up with the black and blue background and just sits there with no audio. I've gone through the choices of music, news, etc and notta.

I did notice I get an error, "not in use" when I try sometimes. Is that a cable problem or something with my receiver or what?

Any chance the 3.5mm jack on PC is analog only and not outputting digital audio? The end of the cable (that would go into theater) should glow red if the fiber has a digital signal on it. (At least mine does when it's connected to TV digital audio out). NOTE: Don't look directly into end of the connector at laser output!

#63 ·
Hmmm still not working. I am not sure if its a bad cable or what.

All I am trying to do is blay blu ray movies and pc games from my computer to a projector. I want the sound from my pc for movies/games to play through my speakers.

If I got a rca to 3.5mm would it decrease quality/performance? Should I look at something other options?

#64 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujzeptu
Hmmm still not working. I am not sure if its a bad cable or what.

All I am trying to do is blay blu ray movies and pc games from my computer to a projector. I want the sound from my pc for movies/games to play through my speakers.

If I got a rca to 3.5mm would it decrease quality/performance? Should I look at something other options?
Just for information - when I connected my laptop to TV (Sony 60 in LCD - not a projector) via HDMI the sound looped back to home theater via Audio Return Channel (ARC). You have to enable this in theater under System Settings for HDMI.

#65 ·
Alright so I fail.

I was trying from an analog output on my pc. Once I tried from the digital (rca on my pc) it worked great. Now I need an rca cable 75 ohms.

Can I just use the yellow video RCA cables sine their ohms are rated high enough? Do you HAVE to have the orange cable to do audio?

#66 ·
Anyone figured out the connection to PC via DLNA yet? The 770W "sees" the files on my PC and displays the right folders and files with the correct names, but when I click on a file (whether a photo, movie, or song), the system seems to try acquiring the info and then... nothing. No picture displayed and no song or movie played! Is there anything in the setup that I need to change?

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared /forum/post/19458644

Anyone figured out the connection to PC via DLNA yet? The 770W "sees" the files on my PC and displays the right folders and files with the correct names, but when I click on a file (whether a photo, movie, or song), the system seems to try acquiring the info and then... nothing. No picture displayed and no song or movie played! Is there anything in the setup that I need to change?

I found the same issue. Apparently Sony set this up to only recognize media in FAT32 file system and not NTFS which mine (and prob yours) are. I don't know if you can set up a FAT32 partition on a NTFS drive and move the files there - haven't tried that or investigated pros and cons.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 /forum/post/19491393

I found the same issue. Apparently Sony set this up to only recognize media in FAT32 file system and not NTFS which mine (and prob yours) are. I don't know if you can set up a FAT32 partition on a NTFS drive and move the files there - haven't tried that or investigated pros and cons.

I'm a computer novice and admit I don't know how to do that. Let me know if you try it and it works though. Thanks.

#69 ·
So if a TV is connected to the 770W with component cables, how could one listen to the audio on the TV speakers and not the receiver speakers (like late at night when baby and mom are asleep and all hell will break loose if they wake up); I don't see any audio out jacks on the back of the receiver...?!!!

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared /forum/post/19501031

So if a TV is connected to the 770W with component cables, how could one listen to the audio on the TV speakers and not the receiver speakers (like late at night when baby and mom are asleep and all hell will break loose if they wake up); I don't see any audio out jacks on the back of the receiver...?!!!

Hi myared, HDMI cable connection is the only way get audio to Tv. There is an Audio Output menu with options to set either to Speakers, HDMI or Speaker+HDMI.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/19501307

Hi myared, HDMI cable connection is the only way get audio to TV. There is an Audio Output menu with options to set either to Speakers, HDMI or Speaker+HDMI.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid to hear... You would think Sony would at least put a simple analog audio out (or even better, a digital audio out), but noooo. Thanks JChin.

#72 ·
My TV is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and digital optical cable. I get sound thru the surround speakers when I turn the TV and receiver on but as soon as I change channels on the TV it reverts to the TV speakers. If I switch the receiver off and back on, the sound is again thru the surround but again reverts to TV when I switch channels. What's up?

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat408 /forum/post/19568902

My TV is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and digital optical cable. I get sound thru the surround speakers when I turn the TV and receiver on but as soon as I change channels on the TV it reverts to the TV speakers. If I switch the receiver off and back on, the sound is again thru the surround but again reverts to TV when I switch channels. What's up?

Hi tomcat408, appears to be a HDMI Control feature thats causing it.

Try either turning Off HDMI Control on the Tv or receiver.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 /forum/post/19411050

Not using it with satellite - cable via Com cast/Motorola STAB/DR DEX. The frustrating thing is it doesn't happen with every channel change - just some times. But very annoying since it locks up the BLVD and you have to power cycle it to get sound back. I thought it happened once when I changed the TV input to an internet app but have not been able to reproduce. I put a trouble ticket in at Sony support and their initial response was to try turning off "Control for HDMI" on BDV which was not the answer I was looking for and responded accordingly. They now want to torture me with phone support. I think they are aware of the issue but when or if it will be addressed is the question. Will post more info from them here if I get any.

jff6791, I'm not sure if you're still having the audio cut off issue...

Now that I've had both the BDV-E770W and the KDL-60EX700 for a while, I've run into the same issue on rare occasions. I found out that when that happens, the E770W is set to "Home". All I do is hit the Function button on the E770W remote to return the set to TV and the audio comes back. There is no need to power the E770W down and then up again. Hope this helps.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared /forum/post/19602410

jff6791, I'm not sure if you're still having the audio cut off issue...

Now that I've had both the BDV-E770W and the KDL-60EX700 for a while, I've run into the same issue on rare occasions. I found out that when that happens, the E770W is set to "Home". All I do is hit the Function button on the E770W remote to return the set to TV and the audio comes back. There is no need to power the E770W down and then up again. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. When mine mutes the display still reads TV and you can select any of the other functions but they are also muted - e.g. tuner shows a active station but no audio. You also can't open the DVD drawer with either remote or front panel. The cable box is definitely triggering the problem when shifting between different resolution inputs. Are you using a STB or DVR with your setup?

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 /forum/post/19602977

Thanks for the feedback. When mine mutes the display still reads TV and you can select any of the other functions but they are also muted - e.g. tuner shows a active station but no audio. You also can't open the DVD drawer with either remote or front panel. The cable box is definitely triggering the problem when shifting between different resolution inputs. Are you using a STB or DVR with your setup?

DishNetwork DVR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.