AVS Forum banner
685K views 15K replies 533 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

Quote:
AMC Upcoming Original Series: The Walking Dead

AMC has greenlit The Walking Dead as a six-episode series based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. The Walking Dead tells the story of life following a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home. Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually, Teachers, Strike Back) will portray the lead role of Rick Grimes while actor Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) will portray the character Shane, who worked with Rick in the police department before the zombie disaster. Other cast includes Laurie Holden (The Shield), who plays Andrea, one of two sisters who join the survivors of the zombie plague, Steven Yeun as Glenn, an expert scavenger and Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break), who plays Rick's wife Lori.

The Walking Dead begins production in June in Atlanta with six, one-hour episodes for season one. The series is set to premiere in October 2010 during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. AMC announced development of The Walking Dead in August 2009 and announced the pilot in January of this year.

About the Producers

Robert Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion serves as Executive Producer. Charles “Chic” Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) will also serve as Executive Producer, and Jack LoGiudice (Sons of Anarchy, Resurrection Blvd) will serve as Co-Executive Producer.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

If you aren't suffering from zombie fatigue this starts Sunday October 31st, 10/9C.

It's like 28 Day Later - if the movie had continued to be about zombies in the second half.

Dread Central has some good behind-the-scenes coverage:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/389...king-dead-life

Reactions: Young C
#183 ·
The violence seems a bit beyond "TV-14" to me...

But as I expected and hoped, the story is engaging and sometimes thrilling.

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/19456507

Good first two weeks and a great genre. I hope they do not take the Heroes/Lost route as well. They need to have real resolution and payoff each week or I will lose interest as well.

Resolution to what? This isn't a mystery show, the questions it poses are simply character dilemmas.

#185 ·
You know what I think I have noticed (correct me if i am wrong) that in two episodes I have yet to hear anyone say or use the word zombie.

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/19457826

Resolution to what? This isn't a mystery show, the questions it poses are simply character dilemmas.

Was thinking the same thing VisionOn
The premise for The Walking Dead is clear cut for the most part and a serial format of the humans against the zombies with the added drama added in but still it is clearly not a mystery series but more character development woth the good guys vs the dead guys

#187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose123 /forum/post/19457891

Was thinking the same thing VisionOn
The premise for The Walking Dead is clear cut for the most part and a serial format of the humans against the zombies with the added drama added in but still it is clearly not a mystery series but more character development woth the good guys vs the dead guys

The only real mystery I can think of is what caused the outbreak, but does anyone really care about that? CDC test virus leak? Government drug trial gone wrong? What does it matter?

It doesn't seem that important when there are bigger things for the characters to worry about on a personal level. Like finding loved ones and not getting eaten on a weekly basis.

A show without a government conspiracy arc would be a nice change.

#188 ·
Yeah... I actually don't want an explanation of how the zombies came to be.

I like being dropped into the world much like the lead character and having to figure things out along the way... and the prime focus of the story being on how the remaining living people manage to get along and move forward.

The zombies shouldn't be the story... they are the tools used to move the story along.

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/19457686

The violence seems a bit beyond "TV-14" to me...

But as I expected and hoped, the story is engaging and sometimes thrilling.

My 9 year old son and I have been watching. We are both enjoying this very much. I guess I won't win any father of the year awards for this

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq /forum/post/0

Definite drop-off in quality from the premiere, but I'm still in.

And yep, no "zombie" reference yet. So far, I've heard "walkers" and "geeks." I imagine each group we encounter will have their own pet name.

I'm through issue # 60 and I don't think "zombie" was ever uttered. We've heard roamers and walkers, maybe a few other names. They were never called geeks in the book from what I remember...

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson /forum/post/19459119

I'm through issue # 60 and I don't think "zombie" was ever uttered. We've heard roamers and walkers, maybe a few other names. They were never called geeks in the book from what I remember...

I guess whether or not 'zombie' is ever mentioned in the comics or not may be considered some kind of spoiler so,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Someone, can't remember who off the top of my head, does eventually call them 'zombies' and then mentions how it took them a long time accept that's what they are and to get over how silly it sounded.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/19457826

Resolution to the show at hand. Heroes would pull you threw a show hinting at some revelation or closure of the episiode you are currently watching. At the end of the show nothing really came to fruition or resolution and it was tune in next week to get the payoff. Episode 2 of this had the payoff in they get away from the building. I do not want to see them go for the Heroes style where there was no "mini closure" per show.

#197 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII
Children are too sheltered now a day IMO.

As long as he knows the difference between fiction and reality, no foul.
Good point, I agree. My son does know the difference and he is generally very logical for someone his age.

#198 ·
I've enjoyed the first two episodes, in multiple ways (I don't mind a bit of drop-off in quality between the pilot and successive episodes - pretty typical for most series - as long as the overall quality remains high). The moral dilemma and family pathos in the pilot was touching ("can I kill my dead wife and mother of my son, since she's now a zombie, cause that would put her out of her suffering, but ... it seems she still senses a connection to us since she looks longingly at the house we're in").

So far this seems to be more of a "how do we survive now that civilization has collapsed" story, rather than a humans versus zombies fighting / action (and corporate / government conspiracy) series. To me, it seems much closer in spirit to Jericho than the Resident Evil movies (for example). The primary danger (for now) comes from "walkers" instead of starvation (although they'll soon have to deal with food and other resource shortages) or cold (shouldn't be too much of an issue in Georgia / Southeast US) or neighbors wanting the available resources.

I haven't read any of the graphic novels, so have no idea how the story and themes will be developed.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more episodes. The creators of this series seem to have great timing, with zombie story interest high (at least it seems so, with my son interested in zombies, including going on a big zombie walk here in Seattle earlier this year), and picking a good graphic novel source.

Cliff

#200 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots
Really liking this show but I have to agree with the awful "HD" picture quality. BTW, I have Dish.
+1.

Glad it's not just me! I have Fios and the picture was awfully grainy. I wasn't sure if that's the look the director was going for or just subpar HD. I guess it's the latter!