AVS Forum banner

The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread

491K views 5K replies 477 participants last post by  Ckubs 
#1 ·
#204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist /forum/post/19476685

It's here!! My VTF-15H has arrived! I'll update my decision thread with pics sometime today!

Congrats!

Looking forward to reading about your impressions.

#207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl /forum/post/19475392

When was this released?

Was it in existence when Ikkka did his tests on the SVS?

Or did he simply calculate the math from the spl and distortion measurements?

Is it more accurate that true RTA or Linear X, and if so by what tolerence +/-?

If there is standardized measurement program for the spec, is there a standard microphone?

Try to find that out too?

As far as I know there was not such a dedicated program or suggested set of equipment. Its not in the official cea2010 document. I tried to find one to make the tests easier, but so far I've had no luck. Illka told me what he used was proprietary but he wouldn't say to who or how to obtain it. I'm guessing that manufacturers develop their own.

#209 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/19475936

I'm going to get an ECM8000 mic along with an M-Audio sound card soon which will hopefully provide more accurate measurements. But in any event, this is for another thread!!

I have an ECM8000 microphone that I had professionally calibrated. My calibration was quite a bit different than the ECM8000 correction values offered at HomeTheaterShack. Unless you get it calibrated, there is really know way of being sure that you are more accurate than with a Radio Shack SPL meter. My ECM8000 is with 1 db from 63 to 2000 Hz, but it rolls of pretty quickly below that. I am -4.84 dB at 20 Hz, -12.98 dB at 10 Hz, and -16.96 dB at 5 Hz.

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist /forum/post/19476685

It's here!! My VTF-15H has arrived! I'll update my decision thread with pics sometime today!

Pictures or it didn't happen!

#212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack /forum/post/19478453

Pictures or it didn't happen!

He has a link on his thread that he started.

#215 ·
Pictures! Sorry terrible quality from terrible camera and even worse photographer, pictures taking is not my thing but I thought that maybe a few of you would want to see some pics. Camera died before I finished speaker and sub final placement (moved lcr up to match depth of this monster).

Audyssey 2eq run on THX Onkyo reciever with sub bumped to +2 db hot. Sub 9:00 Q.5 ports open and firing. I don't have any measurement equipment now, hopefully soon but DIY acoustic panels up next before that purchase. Just finished watching WOTW at -8 and whoa!!!! Zero port noise (home run on new design) and I never could tell the 1400w burst was running out at any extended bass scene. Just clean, smooth, hard hitting bass jumping into the bones. Mine is also signed by the good ol' Doc on amp and is a great personal touch to an awesome bang for the buck sub. Huge thank you to Dr. HSU, Pete, and everyone else at HSU Research. Also got in 12 gauge monoprice wire to run to fronts and a new center channel stand today that I put together and got this beast from garage to basement by myself. I am beat and going back to enjoy the new toy! I will check in tomorrow, hope someone enjoys pics and I again apologize for the crappy quality.

#216 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike
I believe it's possible that the HSU could meet the CEA numbers mentioned. Why? Because when adjusted 6db down to allow for the 2m distance, they are essentially the same numbers that the PB13 have already been tested for. Nobody disputes the PB13's numbers. Assuming equal efficiency as the PB13 (who knows, it may be higher because of the bigger woofer), if the HSU amp can manage as much short-term power as the SVS, then it should make about the same numbers.
In general I am always very wary about comparing different data sets. There are many different variables involved, even when looking at CEA2010 data. For example, does one use single tone bursts or an averaging of tone bursts? Was there a fudge factor to convert the CEA2010 peak output to RMS output? Does one measure with the subwoofer in normal orientation or a different orientation?

Our measurement procedure is as follows:

We place the subwoofer in the middle of a parking lot. We use Beta 1.62 version of the CEA2010 software developed by Don Keele. We use a TES 1356 SPL Calibrator to calibrate the mic (Earthworks M30) before each test. We use the Pre-pro mic preamp, the same one that Don Keele uses. We do not use any fudge factor. We place the subwoofer in the normal upright position as suggested in the CEA2010, place the mic on the floor directly in front of the front baffle, 1 m from the woofer dust cap. We then test up to the highest level without hitting 'fail'. We do not use averaging.

So the reality is that our data is not directly comparable to any other data set that is gathered without using the exact same test procedures that we do. We believe in the validity of our methodology, but we do have to be careful about making extrapolations.

Sincerely,

#218 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp
Pictures! Sorry terrible quality from terrible camera and even worse photographer, pictures taking is not my thing but I thought that maybe a few of you would want to see some pics. Camera died before I finished speaker and sub final placement (moved lcr up to match depth of this monster).

Audyssey 2eq run on THX Onkyo reciever with sub bumped to +2 db hot. Sub 9:00 Q.5 ports open and firing. I don't have any measurement equipment now, hopefully soon but DIY acoustic panels up next before that purchase. Just finished watching WOTW at -8 and whoa!!!! Zero port noise (home run on new design) and I never could tell the 1400w burst was running out at any extended bass scene. Just clean, smooth, hard hitting bass jumping into the bones. Mine is also signed by the good ol' Doc on amp and is a great personal touch to an awesome bang for the buck sub. Huge thank you to Dr. HSU, Pete, and everyone else at HSU Research. Also got in 12 gauge monoprice wire to run to fronts and a new center channel stand today that I put together and got this beast from garage to basement by myself. I am beat and going back to enjoy the new toy! I will check in tomorrow, hope someone enjoys pics and I again apologize for the crappy quality.
Looks fantastic Luke, what a nice home theater you have there, congrats! Thank you for everything, please enjoy!

Sincerely,

#219 ·
Quote:
I'm more than likely going to have to place mine sideways like that as well. The white part of my screen is about 26 1/2 inches off the ground.

#220 ·
Quote:
If you find that the finish of the sub is more reflective than you care for to be placed next to a projection screen, just cover the top with a sheet of black velvet, this is what I do. As I am sure you know, anything you cover with black velvet utterly disappears in a darkened room.

#221 ·
Quote:

Hey Luke! Glad that you got your sub too! Enjoy, man!

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu /forum/post/19480654

In general I am always very wary about comparing different data sets. There are many different variables involved, even when looking at CEA2010 data. For example, does one use single tone bursts or an averaging of tone bursts? Was there a fudge factor to convert the CEA2010 peak output to RMS output? Does one measure with the subwoofer in normal orientation or a different orientation?

Our measurement procedure is as follows:

We place the subwoofer in the middle of a parking lot. We use Beta 1.62 version of the CEA2010 software developed by Don Keele. We use a TES 1356 SPL Calibrator to calibrate the mic (Earthworks M30) before each test. We use the Pre-pro mic preamp, the same one that Don Keele uses. We do not use any fudge factor. We place the subwoofer in the normal upright position as suggested in the CEA2010, place the mic on the floor directly in front of the front baffle, 1 m from the woofer dust cap. We then test up to the highest level without hitting 'fail'. We do not use averaging.

So the reality is that our data is not directly comparable to any other data set that is gathered without using the exact same test procedures that we do. We believe in the validity of our methodology, but we do have to be careful about making extrapolations.

Sincerely,

Thank you for posting this in detail Pete. Thumbs up.

#224 ·
Dear Kevin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 /forum/post/19475061

Pete, my basement is over 6000 cubic feet. I am happy with the bass I currently get, but I want more which is why I was thinking of adding the VTF-15H to the dual HO's.

Which would give me more output and sound the best: (keep in mind I also have an MBM)

1. Keep the 2 HO's and add a VTF-15H

2. Sell the 2 HO's and get dual VTF-15H's

Thanks

I think you should start by adding one VTF-15H. Assuming that you are very happy with it, then the next step would be to sell the HO's and get another VTF-15H. That's not to say that mixing and matching can't work, but results are more predictable when using identical true subwoofers.

A couple VTF-15H will fill this space really nicely. Should make for a huge upgrade!

Sincerely,

#225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin /forum/post/19480893

I'm more than likely going to have to place mine sideways like that as well. The white part of my screen is about 26 1/2 inches off the ground.

The VTF-15H in it's normal orientation without feet is exactly 25" tall, and exactly 26" tall with feet. If that ends up cutting things to close, then putting the unit on it's side is just fine too!

Sincerely,

#226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/19480998

If you find that the finish of the sub is more reflective than you care for to be placed next to a projection screen, just cover the top with a sheet of black velvet, this is what I do. As I am sure you know, anything you cover with black velvet utterly disappears in a darkened room.

Good suggestion! The Satin Black finish is actually much less reflective than any Piano Gloss Black finish, so with the lights dim it should work nicely.

Sincerely,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.