AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Somis CIH Masking System

31K views 119 replies 41 participants last post by  R Harkness 
#1 ·
I recently installed a motorized masking system on my 120 inch Stewart screen and have it set for wide open (2.35) and 16 x 9. I purchased it from Somis Systems. I believe I was their first customer for this particular product.

Since I was their "Beta" customer, the documentation was not anywhere near acceptable but they have since remedied that (I have a copy of the most current documentation).

The company spent time with me on the phone to work through the install process since the documentation lacked clarity. My guess would be that to install the non-motorized version would take less than a couple of hours at most given the current documentation. Much of the system comes pre-assembled.

It works like a champ. Each mask currently operates independently via remote. I know they are in the process of upgrading the electronics package for the system.

If you are in the market for a motorized (or manual) masking system, check them out. Their pricing is WAY less than the competition. The retail on my motorized system was $1490. The manual system is considerably less (and is upgradeable to a motorized version).

And, of course, the apparent improvement in black level with the masks in place is dramatic.

See less See more
#102 ·
I hope that Don is ok, and that there wasn't any customer money lost on any of this...

#104 ·
Yes Don is fine guys..

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster0 /forum/post/19496225

Kinda hard to do that when his web site is "under contruction" and his phone # has been disconnected.

Can't tell you how dissapointing this is.

hmm, never knew his line was disconnected. so no real way of getting a hold of him then. if i did send money his way, i would not be very comfortable with this whole situation. i realize that many have talked to him personally before and say hes a stand-up guy so hopefully hes just very busy trying to finish these kits off, but showing face here once every 2 months shouldn't be that difficult if hes holding members money. lets hope for the best. i really did want to see his designs materialize for cost concious consumers.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. /forum/post/19500502

hmm, never knew his line was disconnected. so no real way of getting a hold of him then. if i did send money his way, i would not be very comfortable with this whole situation. i realize that many have talked to him personally before and say hes a stand-up guy so hopefully hes just very busy trying to finish these kits off, but showing face here once every 2 months shouldn't be that difficult if hes holding members money. lets hope for the best. i really did want to see his designs materialize for cost concious consumers.

From what I know he did refund everyones money. If someone didn't receive a refund let me know and I can give him a call and let him know!

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 /forum/post/0

From what I know he did refund everyones money. If someone didn't receive a refund let me know and I can give him a call and let him know!

I am still waiting on a refund due from years ago. Don still owes me $275.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 /forum/post/19500704

is this refund from his last company, or from the current somis?

if its from somis, then suffice to say its probably no longer in business. in that case, might as well close this thread.

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Wells /forum/post/19502117

I am still waiting on a refund due from years ago. Don still owes me $275.

I'm taking that is a refund for the HTIQ system he had years ago.. I know he said he had planned on sending everyone who purchased a HTIQ system a free Somis system but now Im not sure what he plans on doing.I do believe all the orders placed under the Somis Systems have been refunded and if not you guys can let me know and I can let him know.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 /forum/post/0

I'm taking that is a refund for the HTIQ system he had years ago.. I know he said he had planned on sending everyone who purchased a HTIQ system a free Somis system but now Im not sure what he plans on doing.I do believe all the orders placed under the Somis Systems have been refunded and if not you guys can let me know and I can let him know.

Yes, my refund is still from his first failed venture at HTIQ.

When Don started this venture, he offered me a free system but i have long since implemented a DIY solution. So he agreed to refund my $300 and did write a check for $25. I guess he needed to make good on this debit because I would have been shouting to all reading this thread that the guy is a crook. He starts a business, offers products for sale that are not complete and takes money for something that is not ready to ship.

Oh well, lesson learned for me.

#115 ·
well since this is in the DIY forum, here's the answer to all your prayers:

http://www.somfysystems.com/glydea/

i use somfy motors for my horizontal masking and utilize its ir kit for control, but this new system is for drapes, or vertical masking. much easier now that the motor does all the controlling and interfaces it nicely with an ir remote.

#116 ·
I've had bad hangovers before, but none like this.

Under the Terms and Conditions, my website clearly stated that any system returned within 30 days will be entitled to a full refund, minus a re-stocking fee.

I had a few that did, and they received a refund.

I can only assume that customers that did not return a system were satisfied.

So, If anyone that has purchased one of my original systems, and have had problems with the installation and / or operation, I would like for you to PM me so that we can resolve it.

BTW, there were no units shipped under the Somis nameplate, and everyone that left a deposit received a prompt refund in full.

Mr. Wells, we are square. And no, I'm not a crook.

Don

#117 ·
Naturally I can only speak for myself but I was to be a beta tester of one of Don's Somis masking frames. Don and I corresponded via email and I felt he was trying to make a go of his venture. When I started having doubts about the timeframe of the product and when I realized that the top frame was going to be bigger than would fit in my height limited theater I asked Don to refund my substantial deposit and he promptly refunded my money.

Don, I'm sorry your venture did not work out and I wish you the best.

#118 ·
Since I'm the guy that started this thread, I too, am sorry Don is not actively working on getting out his products. And while he would need to answer for himself, I don't believe he has completely abandoned ship. My unit has only one flaw for which I created a work-around and now have it programmed into my Control4 System. It still only moves one mask at a time but that is far from a deal killer for me. His new controller was to address that and some other issues. That may or may not be forthcoming.

Staring a company of any kind usually takes longer, costs more and is usually more complex and demanding than we originally estimate. I started a non audio company 7 years ago and that was certainly true for me.

I think he finally realized that to do all of the things necessary to run a successful company requires more resources and/or bandwidth than he was able to provide -- and that would include financial resources. Again he would need to chime in here (if he chooses to do so), but my bet would be that he has a full time job outside of Somis and that time permitting, he will allocate some available resources to moving his Somis products forward.

It really is too bad for both him and the potential customers because it really is a cool product and fills a huge hole in the pricing of a motorized masking system.

But as has already been posted, others are working on "productizing" their own DIY solutions that may fill the gap that Don's product was targeting.

#119 ·
Yup guys this sucks! Sorry to the ones who got their hopes up! Keep saving your pennies and get a Carada System! David is a great guy to do business with and Carada makes one solid Masking System!!

#120 ·
Seconded. I considered various DIY systems and decided it was worth my money to get it done right the first time so I bought a Carada Masquerade (and another product). It's a no-regret product to be sure. The DIY route seems to involve a lot of slow trial and error..."Damn...this looks like it could be good but part of this isn't working right, so how do I fix it...?." Me, I just wanted something that did what I wanted, that would just work without fuss. The Carada looked beautiful and worked right out of the box so it was satisfaction from the minute it went up. I know things like "best money I ever spent" practically sound like an advertisement, but that's how I feel when I look at the trials of people attempting DIY solutions.

Then again some people truly enjoy the trials and tribulations of doing it themselves, and find satisfaction in having done so. Which is great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.