AVS Forum banner
2M views 17K replies 823 participants last post by  Inniswhe 
#1 ·

Link to Anthem MRX Page

MRX Series .pdf Literature Download
  • Anthem Quality!
  • Anthem Performance!
  • Exclusive Anthem Technology like the award-winning Anthem Room Correction included.
  • Price! Extraordinary for everything you get!
  • Power to spare! Every model offers 7 channels of power more continuous power than anything in their price range: MRX 700: 120 watts per channel, MRX 500: 100 watts per channel, MRX 300: 80 watts per channel

3D ready receivers with optional iPod dock
Anthem just announced their brand new line of 3D ready A/V receivers. The MRX series features four receivers: the MRX 300, MRX 500, MRX 700, and MRX 900, all featuring 7 channels of amplification (MRX 900 will have 9 channels of amplification) and 4 HDMI in/1 out (MRX 900 will have 7 HDMI in/1 out). Bringing the company's award winning technology to its newest line, Anthem's MRX receivers are all equipped with the critically acclaimed Anthem Room Correction (ARC) system.

A highly anticipated release, the Anthem MRX receivers include all the latest audio formats inc luding Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and DTS-HD Master Audio and support internet radio (except MRX 300) and HD Radio (MRX 700 and MRX 900). In addition, the MRX series will process 3D movies and television when paired with a 3DTV and a 3D capable source component making them the perfect addition for 3D enabled home theaters. The MRX receivers boast amplifier sections embodying Anthem's design focus on low noise, low distortion and "real" power. Standard on all Anthem products, the receivers come with the company's hallmark of user-friendly menus and easy operation.

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Anthem Room Correction (ARC)
  • A very beefy amp - more real' power than the competition!
  • Dual-processor audio DSP
  • Video Conversion from Composite Video and Component Video to HDMI
  • Scaling up to 1080p60
  • 1080p24 mode
  • Dolby Volume
  • AM/FM Tuner
  • 3D Support via software upgrade

DECODING
  • Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby Digital EX
  • DTS-HD Master Audio
  • DTS-ES (Matrix, Discrete)
  • DTS 96/24

LISTENING MODES
  • AnthemLogic-Music
  • AnthemLogic-Cinema
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Movie, Music, Game)
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIz
  • DTS Neo:6 (Music, Cinema)
  • Dolby Virtual Speaker (Wide, Reference)
  • All Channel Stereo
  • Dolby Digital EX

INPUTS
  • 4 HDMI Inputs
  • Analog Video Inputs: 4 Composite + 3 Component
  • Digital Audio Inputs: 2 Coaxial + 3 Optical
  • 7 Stereo Analog RCA Inputs
  • 2 USB Inputs (MRX 700/500)
  • HDMI On-Screen Display - setup, video adjustments, status, song navigation

CUSTOM INSTALLATION
  • IR Input
  • IR Emitter Output
  • Trigger Output
  • Second Zone
  • RS-232 Control

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
  • Video Configuration Memorized by Source
  • Dolby Headphone
  • Backlit Remote Control
  • Sidemount Rack Kit (sold separately)
  • Separate Zone 2 remote (non-backlit)

WARRANTY
  • 3 years
  • 1 year on Remote Control

Dimensions
  • MRX 300/500/700 : 6.5" H x 17.25" W x 15.25" D (16.4 cm x 43.9 cm x 39.0 cm)

ModelFMV(US)FMV(CAN)AvailabilityChannelsPower 2 chPower 5 chTransformerHDMI in/outUSB front/backEthernetInternet RadioHD RadioRDSVideo ProcessorMade inWeight
MRX 300$999$1099Early 20117.180W60WE-I4/10/0nonononoGenesis TorinoChina33.4 lb (15.2 kg)
MRX 500$1499$1649Now7.1100W75WE-I4/11/1yesyesnonoGenesis TorinoChina34.3 lb (15.6 kg)
MRX 700$1999$2199Now7.1120W90WToroidal4/11/1yesyesyesyesGenesis TorinoChina35.4 lb (16.1 kg)

ARC Details

WHAT IS ANTHEM ROOM CORRECTION AND WHY IS IT THE BEST ON THE MARKET?

Latest ARC download link

Even when the finest speakers are perfectly positioned, the room itself can have a dramatic negative impact on sound quality. Room dimensions, dead spots, archways, even furniture can turn a room into an additional instrument adding unwanted coloration and resonance to music and movies. ARC adjusts for the room's effect on the speakers in a way that mimics our hearing. Now your Anthem gear and your Paradigm speakers can do what they do best: allow you to lose yourself in the music or movie you're watching. How does ARC do what it does?
  • ARC analyzes each speaker's in-room response then sets output levels, crossover frequencies and room correction parameters for each one.
  • ARC applies correction for up to 7 channels plus the sub!
  • ARC applies Super-Efficient Infinite Impulse Response (IIR) filters in addition to Anthem's custom topology all that means no engine' noise, this baby runs quickly and quietly.
  • Unlike other room correction systems, ARC allows for multiple microphone measurements, that way everyone in the room gets a better listen, not just those sitting directly between the speakers.
  • Processing power to spare!
  • ARCuracy! The connected PC's 64-bit floating point processor calculates the correction curves to the n'th degree of accuracy.
  • Separate configurations for music and movies.
  • Applies correction to peaks and dips in room response - since rooms have both we get a far more natural and accurate response tackling both!
  • Fully automated or manual setup - you choose which procedure you want to use!
USB to Serial Adapter
Keyspan USA-19hs
has proven to be the most reliable and has the most up to date driver list from MAC to Windows 7

Click on help and resources tab on that page for the latest drivers.

These adapters can be easily found inexpensivly through a google search.... Here

See less See more
#181 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac
John,

You are right in that I have not experienced ARC. But to say nothing will sound better without ARC is an awful bold statement to make
. I am not trying to be argumentive or slam Anthem in any way but for me it is about choices. With the MRX lineup I would have no choice to see if I would prefer using ARC or straight analog. The other factor is that the MRX 500/700 are not inexpensive AVRs and at the cost I would want certain features.

For me when I sat down to listen to music today with my Parasound 2100, BDP-83SE, BA A7200 and Salk SongTowers I was extremely happy with the SQ and simplicity of my system. It just really surprises me that Anthem did not offer an option of an analog bypass for the analog inputs. At least offer a 7.1 analog input on the MRX 700 but Anthem decided not to.

Bill
Maybe, MRX900

#183 ·
My primary reason for considering the anthem in the first place is ARC. It's probably one of the mrx's best, if not the best selling feature. It would be silly to purchase the mrx and not take advantage of ARC.

It would be like buying a meridian 2 channel dsp processor and bypassing it.

#184 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe
my primary reason for considering the anthem in the first place is arc. It's probably one of the mrx's best, if not the best selling feature. It would be silly to purchase the mrx and not take advantage of arc.

It would be like buying a meridian 2 channel dsp processor and bypassing it.
+1

#185 ·
+2
no seriously, arc is doing things to my system that i never thought possible. sound quality is remarkable. for once in my life, my system is dynamic, yet delicate, explosive and tactile. i have seen the light!!

#186 ·
+3 but to add i feel less is more. im glad Anthem left out all the bells and whistles. the number two reason i sent back my onkyo 1007 last year that was DOA.

#187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. /forum/post/19511322

+2
no seriously, arc is doing things to my system that i never thought possible. sound quality is remarkable. for once in my life, my system is dynamic, yet delicate, explosive and tactile. i have seen the light!!

Hey Anthony,

What AVR did you have before the MRX? Did it have Audysee? If so how does the ARC compare to it?

#188 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan
Maybe, MRX900
Maybe not as the MRX 900 is just a little out of my budget
. Hopefully Anthem will announce a lower cost prepro based on the MRX line for those looking for prepro. AVM 25 maybe?

#189 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx
im glad Anthem left out all the bells and whistles.
I'm not sure if you are referring to a 7.1 analog input or analog bypass as being a bell and whistle feature. I sure do not see it that way
. But to each his own and I'm sure Anthem will have much success with the MRX lineup

Bill

#190 ·
The unintended consequence of direct mode for a prepro's stereo inputs, something in our products since 2001, is countless requests for the ability to use a sub at the same time. This would be of little value because analog filters add more noise than using DSP to get the job done.

Today ARC is in the mix along with desire to return to less complicated setup. The number of people who have been saying that there are too many things in the menu outnumber those who have been saying that there aren't enough. DSP+ARC vs direct has been compared countless times on the prepros which do have direct mode and the results are to my knowledge unanimous. Without an ARC demo I don't know how much more there is to say.

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin /forum/post/19503152

Thanks for the reply. That is an unfortunate limitation because it doesn't seem as if there would be a good way to listen to DTS 5.1 sources as 7.1 with back channels (it looks like DTS Neo only generates a mono back channel).

how about DTS-MA + DPLIIx - is that possible ? not many Blurays are 7.1 - so being able to fill in a "simulated" rear I something I use a lot

I use DTS (core/legacy) + DPLIIx as my preferred 7.1 surround option for Blurays on my 59TXi and it works very well

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley /forum/post/19514537

how about DTS-MA + DPLIIx - is that possible ? not many Blurays are 7.1 - so being able to fill in a "simulated" rear I something I use a lot

I use DTS (core/legacy) + DPLIIx as my preferred 7.1 surround option for Blurays on my 59TXi and it works very well

I just heard back from Anthem tech support and they replied that unlike the manual suggests it IS possible to apply DPLIIx to DTS sound tracks. Can any owner with a 7.1 setup test this? Thanks.

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin /forum/post/19514645

I just heard back from Anthem tech support and they replied that unlike the manual suggests it IS possible to apply DPLIIx to DTS sound tracks. Can any owner with a 7.1 setup test this? Thanks.

To be clear, it is possible through on the fly selection i.e. select PLIIx after pressing Audio. Note that it will not return to PLIIx if mode preset is Last Used, so selection has to be made each time DTS is played.

This could all change in the future. I don't know when or by how much.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem /forum/post/19514716

To be clear, it is possible through on the fly selection i.e. select PLIIx after pressing Audio. Note that it will not return to PLIIx if mode preset is Last Used, so selection has to be made each time DTS is played.

If it is possible, then why not let it be a selection in the "Listening Mode Presets"? Sounds like a simple mistake/omission?

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/19514430

Is the dialog norm offset shown as part of the OSD Info display? If not any plans to add it? And is the OSD volume like the D2v where it is only text or is it surrounded by a black box?

My recollection from last weekends' demo is that it is surrounded by a black box.

#197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem /forum/post/19514307

The unintended consequence of direct mode for a prepro's stereo inputs, something in our products since 2001, is countless requests for the ability to use a sub at the same time. This would be of little value because analog filters add more noise than using DSP to get the job done.

Today ARC is in the mix along with desire to return to less complicated setup. The number of people who have been saying that there are too many things in the menu outnumber those who have been saying that there aren't enough. DSP+ARC vs direct has been compared countless times on the prepros which do have direct mode and the results are to my knowledge unanimous. Without an ARC demo I don't know how much more there is to say.

This may be a bit of a stream of consciousness so I apologize ahead of time

Comparing the digital output of my Essence ST soundcard with its analog out to the MRX-700. I can say that using the digital input to the MRX sounds much better to me than using the analog even after rolling op amps in the soundcard. I'm not sure, that would be the case if I sent it analog from say an Arye Dac, a W4S DAC2 or a Oppo BDP-83SE.

I think part of the problem is that most 2ch audiophiles have been educated that it's all about bit perfect (digital) and purity (no more additional processing than necessary).

In computer audio all you hear about is bit perfect low jitter digital transmission to a DAC (either an external box or in a receiver). You have many pre/pros and receivers that market direct analog inputs with no signal processing or direct analog inputs with no signal processing that turn off the video boards because they make noise. Audiophiles have been educated that, Less is more.

It's difficult for a person to get their arms around the fact that you can spend 2X the price of an MRX-700 on an external DAC. Yet at the end of the day, you are totally dependent on the A/D conversion and ARC software in the Anthem being good enough that the quality of that 2X external DAC still makes a difference.

Conversely, just because something has a direct (unprocessed) analog input doesn't mean it sounds good. I used a Cary 303-200 CDP with an Anthem D2, Pioneer SC-07, and an Integra 9.8 in direct mode and I can tell you that the Integra was terrible because of its analog input stage. Sum of the parts is more important than a minimalist approach but changing the audiophile paradigm (no pun intended) that been passed down the audiophile family tree that less is more in 2 channel audio is difficult. To that end, I'd like to get a high-end USB dac for my music player but don't want to spend the money knowing that what I hear from it may have more to do with Anthem's influance on the sound than that of the DAC

#198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin /forum/post/19514882

If it is possible, then why not let it be a selection in the "Listening Mode Presets"? Sounds like a simple mistake/omission?

I guess it can under the circumstances, and if there was no mode preset menu or other precedent everything would have appeared alright. The fact is that it's been an action item since the handbuilt prototype days, along with other features. Way back when, there was no Dolby post-processing on DTS source and vice versa on the prepros either. It was added through software later, the difference being that no one outside the company requested it or knew it was coming.

#199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/19514430

Is the dialog norm offset shown as part of the OSD Info display? If not any plans to add it?

No plan to have it displayed beyond minimum requirement (front panel) and this is giving me flashbacks of the many tech support calls I used to get from people who thought it was some kind of error message.