AVS Forum banner

Dayton OmniMic Precision Measurement System

240K views 2K replies 200 participants last post by  Archaea 
#1 ·
Looks like Dayton has made the move to come up with a very simple system for measuring, with a calibrated usb mic.

Seeing as I haven't had the best luck with REW on the hardware side I'm going to pick one of these up when they become avail. but it looks promising & simple from what I can see. Kal Rubinson stated he'll be getting one, I would imagine to put up against the XTZ unit.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=390-790
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/390-790b.pdf
User info / Manual - pdf download

Online Comprehensive Manual - http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/OmniMic/index.htm

Dayton OmniMic Precision Measurement System - Description Dayton Audio's OmniMic is a must-have for system integrators, acoustic engineers, and A/V installers. It was developed in collaboration with Liberty Instruments, inventors of the Praxis analysis tool. The OmniMic provides quick and accurate measurements that will reduce installation time, saving you both labor and money. Test signals may be initiated from the host computer, or from any audio CD player. System includes calibrated USB microphone, mic clip, software and test signal discs, 6 ft. USB cable, and carrying case. Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
  • Extremely quick and easy to use with intuitive software—open the box, start testing in minutes
  • High quality calibrated USB microphone for accurate measurements
  • Developed in collaboration with Liberty Instruments, inventors of the Praxis Measurement System
  • Perfect for setting up home theater systems
  • Design and tune speaker systems and arrays
  • Optimized for use with Netbooks and Laptop computers to enhance portability
  • Compact, portable, accurate, affordable
  • For professionals and hobbyists
  • Compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
Acoustic Measurements Just Got Easier!
Measurements include:
  • SPL meter with A, B, C, or no weighting
  • Spectrum analyzer, FFT, or RTA
  • Frequency response with phase and impulse response
  • Oscilloscope function to view complex waveforms
  • Harmonic distortion: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th harmonics plus THD
  • RT60 reverberation: measures sound reflection
  • Bass decay function identifies room modes and helps determine proper subwoofer placement

See less See more
#2 ·
$300 ouch.

How much for a bare mic with no software?

#4 ·
Yeah its not the cheapest out there, I'm going to see how it goes through its paces, but I really like the ease and simplicity of what they are putting together here.... I can't say that with all the investment I have in my gear that it'll make or break me at this point...

We'll see how it pans out...

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/19553527

Yeah its not the cheapest out there, I'm going to see how it goes through its paces, but I really like the ease and simplicity of what they are putting together here.... I can't say that with all the investment I have in my gear that it'll make or break me at this point...

We'll see how it pans out...

I think it's a great find, Warp. Thanks for the heads up.

$300 is a relatively small investment to get reasonably accurate data vs what we usually see passing for measurements using a stock POS sound card and the RS meter with cal file.

I have $2k invested in a mic/mic pre/power supply, cables and interface. Had I not made that investment 7 years ago, I'd still be in the dark about most of what happens at the LP.

I hope you'll start a thread and I'm looking forward to your comments.

Bosso

#6 ·
Agreed, buddy..... I bought the Galaxy CM-140 and the Behringer UCAC-202 USB thing and could never get it working right in REW.

I have been pretty thankful to have Nuance bring his setup over and help me out with measurements, but I really need to get something else working for me....

The only thing I know It likely won't do is loop through measurements for adjusting gear without the transducers hooked up, but oh well

#8 ·
No discount for wholesale customers

#9 ·
I'm tempted, so I signed up to be notified. Looking forward to early adopter reviews.

Does anybody have feedback on Liberty Audio and their Praxis Measurement System. Specifically satisfaction with results, user support and available software updates?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/19553848

Agreed, buddy..... I bought the Galaxy CM-140 and the Behringer UCAC-202 USB thing and could never get it working right in REW.

I have been pretty thankful to have Nuance bring his setup over and help me out with measurements, but I really need to get something else working for me....

The only thing I know It likely won't do is loop through measurements for adjusting gear without the transducers hooked up, but oh well

Did you ever try HOLM?

I agree with the simplicity of getting something working. I would be concerned with its accuracy, is there a calibration file matching each mic?

I think it also comes with SPL measurement ability so that is a plus! To get accurate measurements + SPL still costs us $200 or so and we still have to get the freeware running ( HOLM, REW, ARTA).

$100 difference goes a long way if its easy and and very accurate.

I thought it was steep at $300 when discussing it a week ago but now Im thinking for some it might be great. I still have great success with REW, HOLM and ARTA though so Im fairly happy.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul /forum/post/19554915

I can't wait to hear more from the early adopters. Do you think this software will make mic'd waterfall graphs? The mic should be compatible with other software right?

If the impulse can be saved then we can import that file into ARTA or other products to produce CSDs, etc all we want.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19554965

Did you ever try HOLM?

I agree with the simplicity of getting something working. I would be concerned with its accuracy, is there a calibration file matching each mic?

I think it also comes with SPL measurement ability so that is a plus! To get accurate measurements + SPL still costs us $200 or so and we still have to get the freeware running ( HOLM, REW, ARTA).

$100 difference goes a long way if its easy and and very accurate.

I thought it was steep at $300 when discussing it a week ago but now Im thinking for some it might be great. I still have great success with REW, HOLM and ARTA though so Im fairly happy.

I never tried anything really.... I haven't had a huge need to measure stuff much aside from getting things going and then its pretty much been a set it and forget it for me.... Once I'm setup i don't change things out very often. If I'm going to make a change its usually planned out well in advance and then after all is in place, its time to measure...
thats where Nuance came into the picture - thanks buddy...

But I agree - at first look it seems on the expensive side, but think about it, hook up a USB mic, run a 1/8 headphone jack/RCA to the preamp/receiver, open the program and off you go... Praxxis has been around for a while, from what I vaguely recall, and Dayton certainly has been in the game long enough - so hopefully the software will be what the price is all about, the rest is just an added benefit....

I have to say that Anthems usb mic is fairly simple to implement for ARC measurements...

#14 ·
This thing appears real attractive to me. And I, like everyone, would like to know exactly how flat and extended this system is. For context, Earthworks mid line, $600 mics, roll off at about 10hz, so I'm curious about these.

I like the timing since I was contemplating the XTC system. I just want to know the thing is accurate, even cal file corrected, I just want to know exactly what's going on. I mean if you're going to measure, what's the point unless the entire measurement chain is an absolute known quantity.

Seems as if I read so many threads, in various forums, with submitted charts and graphs, whereby there is data may be suspect due to system response, bad cal file, etc. I want to assemble measurement system that enables me to know exactly what's going on with a high level of certainty.

Nice product, I'm interested.

Can't find too much detailed info yet.

#17 ·
This unit was on display at Cedia, Mark Seaton saw it there and was the one who told me about it when I was down at his place picking up my Submersive. He seemed to think it would be a worthwhile investment for its simplistic nature and ease of use... Maybe he can chime in on what they had said about

I also got some info from Parts Express sent to me, they mailed it to me, so I would likely have to scan it, I haven't taken much time to look at it....

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
Does it do averaging of multiple mike positions, and if so, how many?

Would be interesting to compare with an Audyssey setup.
I was just wondering about this. If I pick one up I will compare it to the Audyssey XT EQ from my Onkyo 3007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv
Hey Kal.... thanks for stopping by

I know you'll be doing a review, but I'm not sure I can wait before I pick one up to start using...

Any idea of the FR - notably how low sweeps can be done ?
Got my fingers crossed that it will be good down to at least 10hz or so.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
Does it do averaging of multiple mike positions, and if so, how many?

Would be interesting to compare with an Audyssey setup.
Doesn't matter how many mic positions it does, OmniMic only measures and does not correct/adjust anything. And, since you cannot set Audyssey manually with the recommendations of an OmniMic analysis, they ain't comparable and cannot be directly compared.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian
Got my fingers crossed that it will be good down to at least 10hz or so.

Thats exactly what I'm hoping for, seems only logical at this point and time with the high end subwoofage available these days... And I'm only speaking of commercial products, not even the over the top heavy hitters that us DIY guys strive forth to build...

I keep poking at Anthem to have ARC measure down to 10hz rather then show a subwoofer channel response to end right at 20hz. Heck with all their new Signature Subs they are pimpin response into single digits....

Why tout those kind of figures if you refuse to allow your measuring equipment to show those responses...

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
Doesn't matter how many mic positions it does, OmniMic only measures and does not correct/adjust anything. And, since you cannot set Audyssey manually with the recommendations of an OmniMic analysis, they ain't comparable and cannot be directly compared.
I guess I should have said Audyssey Pro.

But now that I think about it, Audssey's weighting of different mike positions would be an unknown variable, though it seems it would be valid to compare a single-position measurement of each.