AVS Forum banner

2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (638 series)

212K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  Augerhandle 
#1 ·
I did not see a thread for the 638 series.

I was not able to find a lot of information on this model which I recently purchased from dell.

I'll take a shot and create a thread on the 638 series.

638 Description:

An affordable way to get into 3D viewing, the 73-inch Mitsubishi WD-73638 1080p Home Cinema HDTV features DLP technology, which is up to 1,000 times faster than LCD technology--providing for a more realistic, sharper 2D and 3D viewing experience. It comes equipped with 3D-ready viewing technology, providing the best option for enjoying 3D content in the home.

Mitsubishi's 73-inch Diamond Series WD-73638 1080p DLP Home Cinema HDTV utilizes the same core DLP technology that's used in the vast majority of 3D movie theaters. DLP technology is up to 1,000 times faster than LCD technology--providing for a more realistic, sharper 2D and 3D viewing experience. It comes equipped with 3D-ready viewing technology, providing the best option for enjoying 3D content in the home.

The 638 Series features Mitsubishi's 6-Color Processor, which offers crisp, bright, realistic color that produces whiter whites and a wider range of color, plus a 120hz sub-frame rate to ensure a blur-free picture during fast action movies and fast-paced sports. Other features include three HDMI ports, stereo speakers with 20 watts of total power, and Energy Star 4.0 qualification.

Key Features

73-inch Digital Light Processing (DLP) panel uses Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing technology for rear-projection TVs to create the picture you see on screen.

3D Ready Experience the new 3D technologies applied to many recent movies and video games. Immerse yourself in your favorite video game, movie, or sporting event displayed in 3D (requires optional 3D eyewear).

1080p Full HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)

Mitsubishi's Plush1080p upscaling.Plush1080p 5G 12-Bit video processing converts lower-resolution signals to 1080p to eliminate jagged pixelated imagery.

120Hz Sub-Frame Rate for more fluid, natural motion from fast-moving video such as sports, action movies, and more.

6-Color Processor takes the three primary colors (red, green, and blue) of the video signal and extracts three secondary colors (cyan, yellow, magenta) in order to individually process each color for greater accuracy.

2 stereo speakers (10w x 2) for 20 watts of total power

Dolby Digital 5.1 sound processing

Integrated HDTV tuner receives both over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (received via an antenna) and non-scrambled digital cable broadcasts, including non-scrambled HDTV cable programming.

HDMI Control (CEC): HDMI devices with Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) capabilities may be compatible with the TV's HDMI Control feature. Compatible devices can receive control signals through the HDMI connection, allowing the TV's remote control to operate some functions of these devices.

Energy Star 4.0 qualified

v43 Service Manual - https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CKaWseYC

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabulldawg /forum/post/19576534

so how do i get the Plush1080 video processor to work with my hd cable box?i see nothing on the menu to upscale to 1080p.

The Plush1080p video processor converts all signals that are not 1080p to 1080p automatically. That's why if you can't feed these lower end models (C10/638) a 1080p signal for all sources you'll most likely see a hit in video quality for those non-1080p sources. It's also why you should turn off as many of the other features on this set so the video doesn't get processed as much.

I noticed that you are using the "brilliant" setting. Try using the "natural" setting. Sure that's not as "bright" but that setting could be making more flaws visible and/or effecting the picture quality. All of the people that calibrate these sets use the "natural" setting and reserve the brilliant mode for when there's a ton of light (daytime viewing). I'd suggest disabling as many features and using the natural settings, calibrate the HDTV using a Blu-ray calibration disc, and then re-watch the channels that are of concern. Then tweak the adjustments to your liking and see what kind of hit it has on the picture quality.

#78 ·
So I have the 60638 model, I checked and dont see any location in settings for to switch to HD. Aren't these t.v.'s just plug and play for HD as long as your signals are HD right? When you said switch to HD, where do you go to apply? Thanks. What does the calibration disk do that our own eyes can't?

#80 ·
I wish I had known about a lot of this sooner than buying my Mitsuibshi lol. Also the fact that I paid a lot more for mine by not waiting. Oh well, lesson learned. I am going to go an attempt to adjust the picture a bit with some recommended settings I saw on here. I am also happy to now know what video noise is for.

I had to reply back about what my problem with was with the PC. It would seem there is a humming coming from the electrical box while the htpc and TV are on at the same time...so, the dimming I was seeing was more than likely the PC periodically taking more power. Ouch, that is terrible for electronics. Undervoltage is almost as bad a voltage spikes. *sigh* I just ordered 2 new Belkin surge protectors. Hopefully the one I was using just can't supply enough power, though I am sure I will be trying to find another outlet for the PC.

A few post back someone asked if "xxxx joules is good" or not. Through reading for the last week or so I have learned quite a bit. Joule ratings are a joke. Look for clamping voltage (the most common decent being 330v) voltage pass through if its marked. Most surge suppressors are 400v. It was amazing trying to talk to a clerk at BB who said "you need this $129 monster surge protector." It had no electrical stats on the box, and they didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Down with overpriced/overhyped accessories! Long story short, 330v clamp, and higher amp protection is better. Oh, and as I have probably shortened the lifespan of my PC/TV/surround sound now due to most likely undervoltage your ABSOLUTE best bet for a home theater set up protection wise is a big ol UPS. Protects from surges and protects against undervoltage for when you/your utility company mess up. It would always be nice to give that hot bulb time to cool off with the fan on in the event of a power outage too.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorse2 /forum/post/19576823

So I have the 60638 model, I checked and dont see any location in settings for to switch to HD. Aren't these t.v.'s just plug and play for HD as long as your signals are HD right? When you said switch to HD, where do you go to apply? Thanks. What does the calibration disk do that our own eyes can't?

These sets up-convert any non-1080p signal to 1080p. The video processors in the C10/638 sets are a lower quality so if you send those sets a non-1080p signal it will not look as good vs. the higher end sets or if the video was going through an external video processor (before the signal hits the HDTV). There's a reason these sets are cheaper than the 738/838 models, they use a lesser quality video processor chip. And as such, have lesser quality video when the source video isn't 1080p.

Calibration disks allow you adjust the various color/tint/hue/contrast/etc. settings so that your set displays the best possible picture. Then from there you can tweak things slight for how they look best to your own eyes. Not calibration your TV can result in over saturated colors, black crush, inaccurate colors, etc.. Most TVs out of the box aren't calibrated and as a result don't deliver the best picture quality. Some people pay several hundreds of dollars to have a professional calibrate their HDTVs for them. So even high end sets need calibration.

There is no "HD" setting on these sets. All video inputs to this HDTV are converted to 1080p using the lesser quality Push1080p video processor. That's where the problem is at - the video processor that these sets use. If you input 1080p video into this set it won't convert the signal to 1080p because it's already 1080p so it will not take a picture quality hit to do the conversion. The only way to have better video with non-1080p inputs to this HDTV is to use a PC for input or a external video processor. The other alternative is to buy the 738/838 model of the set since they use a better video processor (Push1080p 5G).

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorse2 /forum/post/19576854

Best Bang for the buck 60638 60" !! Media Bridge good cables for HDMI? The reviews on amazon seem good, will like your thoughts?

They look fine but you should be able to get a better price at monoprice. Just look for "high speed" or "Category 2" HDMI cables - they're one in the same.

#83 ·
I found the perfect settings for me finally. anyone is welcome to try them.

while the other settings looked good i really didnt like having to switch from the different modes for sports, and bluray, and tv. So I tried to get one mode just right to watch for everything..and also was Bright. I dont have a controlled lit room so i wanted the tv to be bright enough to handle daytime viewing.

and ive come up with this..

o Picture Mode : Bright

o Aspect Ratio/Format : Standard

* Picture Settings

o Contrast : 72

o Brightness : 46

o Color :38

o Tint : 9

o Sharpness : 0

o Color Temperature : high

o Video Noise : Off

o film mode : off

These work very well for bluray as well..

these are all with HDMI(high speed) cable hookup

I know 72 for contrast seems nuts but try watching a movie with a lot of snow in(like skiing)...or scene where the sun is shining on a persons white shirt..you cant make out any detail in white scenes..just looks like a white blotch. 72 contrast helps this alot.(on bright mode)

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabulldawg /forum/post/19578316

tried them still no good,i went from a 52 sharp lcd to this and as much as i love 3d i can not get the hd channels look great, even the heads of the people look cut off,thanks for everyones help but if i dont get that tv back in here tommorrow my wife is going to kill me.

Heads of people look cut off??? Sounds like you might have the cable box zoomed in or changing the aspect ratio which will make the picture quality look even worse.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid69 /forum/post/19578329

Heads of people look cut off??? Sounds like you might have the cable box zoomed in or changing the aspect ratio which will make the picture quality look even worse.

definately sounds like its zoomed....give me your model number for your HD cable box. i will look online to see how to get into the setup menu

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabulldawg /forum/post/19578338

that is what i though but this dang charter cable box has not settings at all.

Check your manual for the HDTV - it does support various aspect ratios. It's probably using one of the various zoom/aspect ratio modes which is making your picture quality look like crap. I'm almost 100% sure that's the case since you should never see heads cut off in the default/normal aspect ratio of the content.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid69 /forum/post/19578386

Check your manual for the HDTV - it does support various aspect ratios. It's probably using one of the various zoom/aspect ratio modes which is making your picture quality look like crap. I'm almost 100% sure that's the case since you should never see heads cut off in the default/normal aspect ratio of the content.

all i see is standard,wide standard,zoom?

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbotham /forum/post/19578401

Bump, can somebody help me sort this issue out please. This is my main input source. Thanks.

check to make sure you are in the correct HDMI input...then make sure you are using one of recommended Resolution settings per the Manual listed on page . 12

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbotham /forum/post/19578401

Bump, can somebody help me sort this issue out please. This is my main input source. Thanks.

You might want to check the 738/838 forums since the HDMI inputs are the same for these sets. Only thing I can recommend is trying various resolution using a PC and then connecting to your HDTV. Also, be sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

I use Nvidia chipsets so I can't help with ATI if the above doesn't work for you.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabulldawg /forum/post/19578403

motorola dch6416

5 OPTIMIZING YOUR DCH RECEIVER FOR HIGH-DEFINITION TV

The DCH6416 outputs HD video through its YPbPr (component), HDMI, or IEEE-1394 connectors. This section describes how to optimize Standard and HD video based on your HDTV and personal preferences.

If you use the IEEE-1394 output, no adjustments to the settings are required.

For a TV with an HDMI connection, be sure the TV is on and connected to the DCH receiver’s HDMI out connector before adjusting the settings. Motorola recommends using HDMI cables less than 20 meters long.

You can use your on-screen menu to configure your HD settings for TV type, HDMI and/or YPbPr video output, and closed captioning.

To optimize the output settings:

1. Be sure your DCH receiver is plugged into a power outlet and connected to your TV.

2. Power off the DCH receiver and then immediately press the MENU key on the front panel. If your TV is on, the on-screen menu lists the settings you can configure:

UseUse your remote control or the cursor keys on the front panel to navigate the on-screen display:

• Press the ▲ and ▼ keys to highlight the setting you wish to change. Press the ► key to select an option for that setting.

• To exit the setting and move to another setting, use the ▲ and ▼ keys.

• To exit the menu and save your settings, press the POWER or MENU key.

The HD settings are described in the table on the following pages.

5 OPTIMIZING YOUR DCH RECEIVER FOR HIGH-DEFINITION TV

The HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT setting is displayed as YPbPr OUTPUT if you are not using the HDMI video connection. The user settings will also be displayed on the front panel display whether your TV is off or on.

If the on-screen display menu does not appear on your HDTV screen, your TV may not support the default video output setting. Use the DCH receiver front panel display to view and change your settings.

1. Use the FORMAT button to cycle video formats

2. Try an alternate video connection

User Settings

Setting

Description

TV Type

Allows you to specify the style of television connected to the DCH receiver. Options include 16:9, 4:3 LETTERBOX, and 4:3 PAN SCAN. By default, the 16:9 option is selected. The options are used as follows:

• 16:9 designates that a widescreen television is connected to the DCH receiver.

• 4:3 LETTERBOX designates that a standard screen television is connected to the DCH receiver and that widescreen programs should be scaled to fit the screen with black bars above and below the picture.

• 4:3 PAN SCAN designates that a standard screen television is connected to the DCH receiver and that widescreen programs should be cropped so that the picture fills the entire screen.

HDMI/YPbPr Output

Allows you to specify the video output format of the DCH receiver for all content (when the 4:3 override setting is Off) or for all 480p, 720p, and 1080i content (when the 4:3 override is used). Options include 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i. By default, the 1080i option is selected. The options are used as follows:

• 1080i — The DCH receiver will present programs in the High-Definition 1080i format (1920 x 1080 pixels).

• 720p — The DCH receiver will present programs in the High-Definition 720p format (1280 x 720 pixels).

• 480p — The DCH receiver will present programs in the Enhanced-Definition 480p format (720 x 480 pixels).

• 480i — The DCH receiver will present programs in the Standard-Definition 480i format (720 x 480 pixels).

Some televisions may only support certain video formats. Please consult your television’s user manual for more information on format compatibility.

The DCH receiver can detect when the HDMI connection is in use. If you are not using the HDMI connection on the DCH receiver, the HDMI/YPbPr Output setting will display as YPbPr Output in the User Settings Menu.

4:3 Override

The 4:3 Override setting allows you to specify the video output format of the DCH receiver when it is tuned to a Standard-Definition program or playing back a Standard-Definition program from the DVR. Options include 480i, 480p, Stretch, and Off. By default, the 480i option is selected. The options are used as follows:

• 480i — The DCH receiver will present Standard-Definition programs in the Standard-Definition 480i format (720 x 480 pixels).

• 480p — The DCH receiver will present Standard-Definition programs in the Enhanced-Definition 480p format (720 x 480pixels).

• Stretch — The DCH receiver will automatically stretch all Standard-Definition programs to a widescreen aspect ratio and present the video in the format designated by the HDMI/YPbPr Output setting. Note that the Stretch option is only available when the TV Type setting is 16:9.

• Off — The DCH will create a widescreen version of a Standard Definition program by adding black bars to the left and the right of the picture and present the video in the format designated by the HDMI/YPbPr Output setting.

Some televisions may only support certain video formats. Please consult your television’s user manual for more information on format compatibility.

If the HDMI/YPbPr Output setting is 480i, the 4:3 Override feature is disabled and is no longer selectable in the menu. The 4:3 Override feature is available when the HDMI/YPbPr Output setting is 1080i, 720p, or 480p.

ok SO i assume you have this TV connected by HDMI or Component...Your HD cable box is a bit different than mine...but I think we can start by turning off the 4:3 ovrride if its on...that might fix ur problem..ON my Cable box..my remote actually can stretch or zoom the pic with the # key ...as well as a setting in the menu.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabulldawg /forum/post/19578800

how do i change the aspect ratio on the tv and not the box?

with the format button on the tv remote....but you cant zoom HD content...you can stretch THEN zoom it...but you lose alot of the picture on both the left and right sides

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.