AVS Forum banner

2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (638 series)

212K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  Augerhandle 
#1 ·
I did not see a thread for the 638 series.

I was not able to find a lot of information on this model which I recently purchased from dell.

I'll take a shot and create a thread on the 638 series.

638 Description:

An affordable way to get into 3D viewing, the 73-inch Mitsubishi WD-73638 1080p Home Cinema HDTV features DLP technology, which is up to 1,000 times faster than LCD technology--providing for a more realistic, sharper 2D and 3D viewing experience. It comes equipped with 3D-ready viewing technology, providing the best option for enjoying 3D content in the home.

Mitsubishi's 73-inch Diamond Series WD-73638 1080p DLP Home Cinema HDTV utilizes the same core DLP technology that's used in the vast majority of 3D movie theaters. DLP technology is up to 1,000 times faster than LCD technology--providing for a more realistic, sharper 2D and 3D viewing experience. It comes equipped with 3D-ready viewing technology, providing the best option for enjoying 3D content in the home.

The 638 Series features Mitsubishi's 6-Color Processor, which offers crisp, bright, realistic color that produces whiter whites and a wider range of color, plus a 120hz sub-frame rate to ensure a blur-free picture during fast action movies and fast-paced sports. Other features include three HDMI ports, stereo speakers with 20 watts of total power, and Energy Star 4.0 qualification.

Key Features

73-inch Digital Light Processing (DLP) panel uses Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing technology for rear-projection TVs to create the picture you see on screen.

3D Ready Experience the new 3D technologies applied to many recent movies and video games. Immerse yourself in your favorite video game, movie, or sporting event displayed in 3D (requires optional 3D eyewear).

1080p Full HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)

Mitsubishi's Plush1080p upscaling.Plush1080p 5G 12-Bit video processing converts lower-resolution signals to 1080p to eliminate jagged pixelated imagery.

120Hz Sub-Frame Rate for more fluid, natural motion from fast-moving video such as sports, action movies, and more.

6-Color Processor takes the three primary colors (red, green, and blue) of the video signal and extracts three secondary colors (cyan, yellow, magenta) in order to individually process each color for greater accuracy.

2 stereo speakers (10w x 2) for 20 watts of total power

Dolby Digital 5.1 sound processing

Integrated HDTV tuner receives both over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (received via an antenna) and non-scrambled digital cable broadcasts, including non-scrambled HDTV cable programming.

HDMI Control (CEC): HDMI devices with Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) capabilities may be compatible with the TV's HDMI Control feature. Compatible devices can receive control signals through the HDMI connection, allowing the TV's remote control to operate some functions of these devices.

Energy Star 4.0 qualified

v43 Service Manual - https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CKaWseYC

See less See more
#152 ·
the contrast ratio on dlp's are sadly not that great to begin with ...i read at best they get 12000:1 (i only read this after i bought it but still at the price i got it for i cant complain)... my entry level plasma got 30000:1 easily ... so you can see why i left it at the 100 percent default for contrast lol

also when i tweaked it the slightest i couldnt make out faces in dark scenes in movies... but im still tinkering around with it...i know by highering the brightness we can lower the contrast ..but that washes out the picture some...oh well we will have to see what we can come up with

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles944 /forum/post/19591657

Shibez, thanks for all your time and effort with the continual tinkering with calibration settings. I will have to give them a try when my 60638 gets here next Friday.

I found this in the C10/638/738/838 Service Manual:

1. Activating the Service Menu

V43C & V43 (638 & C10)

For the V43C & V43 chassis, all service functions except Data Transfer are included under the Service Menu.

1. Press the
button on a remote control. (The Customer Menu will appear.)

2. Press the buttons . (The Service Menu will appear.)

Test Pattern Activation

V43C & V43

1. When in the Service Menu select “Test Picture” to select specific patterns.

2. When in the Service Menu select “Calibration” . Use and to toggle

between patterns.

3. Adjustment Overview—Specific adjustment procedures follow.

V43C & V43

When in the Service Menu select “Calibration” followed by the code for the adjustment desired.

V43+ & V43++ (738/838)

1. When in the Service Menu use the button to toggle to adjustment desired indicated by the

number and abbreviation displayed on screen.

2. For Geometry, from the Service Menu press and select “Manual Geometry Alignment” .

4. Adjusting Data

After selecting an adjustment item, use the Navigation arrows or other buttons indicated in the adjustment

procedure to perform the adjustment.

5. Saving Data

Press to save the adjustment data.

V43C & V43, The Status LED will turn red for about 1 second.

V43+ & V43++, The menu display will turn red for approximately one second.

Note: If the circuit adjustment mode is terminated without pressing , changes in adjustment data

are not saved.

6. Exiting the Service Menu

Press to quit.

CODE ADJUSTMENT

2846 Horizontal & Vertical Position

2580 Index Delay

1397 Geometry
“Calibration”

4. Adjusting Data

After selecting an adjustment item, use the Navigation arrows or other buttons indicated in the adjustment

procedure to perform the adjustment.

5. Saving Data

Press to save the adjustment data.

V43C & V43, The Status LED will turn red for about 1 second.

V43+ & V43++, The menu display will turn red for approximately one second.

Note: If the circuit adjustment mode is terminated without pressing , changes in adjustment data

are not saved.

6. Exiting the Service Menu

Press to quit.

great find

charles..i would like to enter it although i am alittle apprehensive..(afriad i might screw something up)

but maybe someone can find a hidden easter egg in it or something..possibly unlock this badboy to the 7 series

OK nevermind LOL im in the service menu..theres not much to do in here O_O ay yi yi

#154 ·
I honestly do not have that great of an eye. I do notice that the Mitsubishi doesn't look half as decent as my old plasma. Then again...I am just now getting into the tweaking aspect. So, perhaps I can still get the mitsu to look better than my overly old LG plasma.

As for now, it seems I will be calling Mitsubishi on Monday to have a tech come out. I have had the set for 2 1/2 months. What started as an intermittent issue is now growing into a giant pain in my @**. Sometimes on the dvd player/pc/tv I am seeing weird pink colors all the time. Sometimes green...but mostly pink. Looks as If I just got a bad set or something. I really regret buying this TV now. Not only am I having this major problem less than 3 months in...my wife sees rainbow effect and it bothers her. I will probably upgrade again in a year or two...but just the problems are annoying. I should not have to have a tech out in less than 3 months of ownership.

I just really need to find a 60+ inch 3d capable lcd or plasma...that isn't going to require me selling a kidney on the black mark to buy. I loved my set because of what I thought (at the time) to be a low price.

Any ideas on what could possibly be causing this? Any other ideas on how I could reduce the problem for my wife? She says she sees it mostly in black on white scenes.

#155 ·

3rd one the white face was not as white in the movie its the cam infact my cam made all the faces seem whiter than they are

last 2 were taken far away with zoom... i had no idea what i was doen

the camera does not do my bluray player any justice but these were with my latest settings.

#156 ·
I found the perfect settings for me finally. anyone is welcome to try them.

while the other settings looked good i really didnt like having to switch from the different modes for sports, and bluray, and tv. So I tried to get one mode just right to watch for everything..and also was Bright. I dont have a controlled lit room so i wanted the tv to be bright enough to handle daytime viewing.

and ive come up with this..

o Picture Mode : Bright

o Aspect Ratio/Format : Standard

* Picture Settings

o Contrast : 72

o Brightness : 46

o Color :38

o Tint : 9

o Sharpness : 0

o Color Temperature : high

o Video Noise : Off

o film mode : off

These work very well for bluray as well..

these are all with HDMI(high speed) cable hookup

I know 72 for contrast seems nuts but try watching a movie with a lot of snow in(like skiing)...or scene where the sun is shining on a persons white shirt..you cant make out any detail in white scenes..just looks like a white blotch. 72 contrast helps this alot.(on bright mode)

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid69 /forum/post/19593622

Wow, that's a strong statement. When viewing "good" HD TV and blu-rays is the difference that great? It's a given that the video processor in the C10/638 sets is less than to be desired for non 1080p content. So long as that's known, and you have a workaround for it then all should be good. But you did get a hell of a deal on that returned unit. And I assume the picture quality is good enough to use/watch or you would have returned it.

what i should of said was OVERALL the sammy hl56a650 stands head and shoulders above the 60638. The feature set on the mitsu is poor compared to the sammy as well as the overall settings adjustments. That doesn`t mean i`m returning the mitsu. Why would i? $300.00 for a 60 inch dlp with a as new warranty. I honestly didn`t like the set after initially setting up the mitsu. the pic out of box was disappointing but after hooking up my blu ray and running an old video essentials disc i was able to fine tune the picture to my liking. I`m not one of those who likes increased colors. Don`t want the green grass so enhanced that it looks like something out of an easter basket. I prefer natural colors. Toning down a display to produce natural colors can be a lil difficult due to manufactures artifically enhancing settings to get your attention in order to buy their sets vs another manufacture. I will keep this set until the day when i can get my hands on a samsung hl60a750. A led dlp based set. No more lamp changes and no color wheel.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_with_shadows /forum/post/19596531

I honestly do not have that great of an eye. I do notice that the Mitsubishi doesn't look half as decent as my old plasma. Then again...I am just now getting into the tweaking aspect. So, perhaps I can still get the mitsu to look better than my overly old LG plasma.

Well, calibrating a HDTV makes a big difference in how the picture looks. But it won't look the same as a plasma, they do after all use different display technologies. But it shouldn't look more than half as decent as an older plasma.

Quote:

Sometimes on the dvd player/pc/tv I am seeing weird pink colors all the time. Sometimes green...but mostly pink. Looks as If I just got a bad set or something. I really regret buying this TV now. Not only am I having this major problem less than 3 months in...my wife sees rainbow effect and it bothers her.

Sadly all manufactures have defective products and some products become defective before their time. It just sucks when it happens to someone and they need to get it corrected. But you should've returned the set once you're wife was known to see the rainbow effect since there's nothing that will eliminate that for her. That's one of the problems/issues with DLP but it usually only effects a small number of people.

Quote:

I just really need to find a 60+ inch 3d capable lcd or plasma...that isn't going to require me selling a kidney on the black mark to buy. I loved my set because of what I thought (at the time) to be a low price.

Sadly, you won't find affordable LCD/Plasma HDTV sets with 3D this year. The industry has to "dump" the non-3D sets this year and early next since most people will only buy a 3D HDTV set going forward. That's why the prices have dropped so much. Heck, you can get a 60" LG 1080p non-3D HDTV plasma set for around 1200. You'd have to pay double or more than that just to get 3D in the same size set which is CRAZY. More so since there's very little 3D content on the market today and it will take 2-3yrs before that changes to any significant degree since new content has to be created. Sort of reminds me when HD "ready" TVs were being sold and there was limited HD channels available. Oh, and those sets sold for 2000-3000 for a 50".

But I wouldn't buy a set for the long term (5+ years) since large screen AMOLED sets are expected to hit the market in the next 2 years. These sets will BLOW away all HDTVs currently on the market. And by year 4-5 they will be just as affordable as the LCD sized sets of today, if not more. It will most likely be the end of LCD/Plasma as is used in HDTV sets and perhaps LCD for computer monitors. And if that happens the price will drop even more since there will be one display panel being made for all these devices. But of course, DLP can still be around since very large screen sizes are always a price pain for any physical panel display.

#159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez /forum/post/19596568

3rd one the white face was not as white in the movie its the cam infact my cam made all the faces seem whiter than they are

Thanks for the photos, it's always nice to see real world shots. But your movie selection is probably the worst to benchmark natural skin tone color.
Well, it is after all a vampire movie.

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez /forum/post/19596661

heres what made me go back to the drawing board... http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screen...947&position=9

What's the hour/minute/second that this shot is at in the movie? I'll extract just the frame so I can reference how it looks on an analog TV, LCD monitor, and on my 65C10 when it arrives (now 12/21 for delivery date). But since I'll be using a HTPC I should be able to dial up just the reds to hopefully get more of that pop factor as the film has and without blowing everything else out in the process.

#161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid69 /forum/post/19596940

Thanks for the photos, it's always nice to see real world shots. But your movie selection is probably the worst to benchmark natural skin tone color.
Well, it is after all a vampire movie.

i know what you mean lol but i have to watch movies i am familiar with so i can calibrate it by eye so i know what to look for...i'm not a pro so i dont use any of professional instruments to get it dead on to 6500k.

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid69 /forum/post/19596964

What's the hour/minute/second that this shot is at in the movie? I'll extract just the frame so I can reference how it looks on an analog TV, LCD monitor, and on my 65C10 when it arrives (now 12/21 for delivery date). But since I'll be using a HTPC I should be able to dial up just the reds to hopefully get more of that pop factor as the film has and without blowing everything else out in the process.

next time i watch new moon i will get that time for you.

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez /forum/post/19596661

I wasnt seeing red like thought i should have and now i think i finally found the perfect 6500k settings for this tv...im rewatching New Moon again and it looks amazing. colors at 50 but its not over saturated.

that one pic where they were in the elevator bothered me...Edwards Robe wasnt red enough(it was more red in the movie than in the pic) but still not red as it should have been. I saw this in the theater(IMAX) i also changed the brightness and contrast...I still feel thats the hardest to get right on this set.

* Picture Modes

o Picture Mode : Natural

o Color Temperature : Low

o Aspect Ratio/Format : Standard

* Picture Settings

o Contrast : 75

o Brightness : 60

o Color : 50

o Tint : 11

o Sharpness : 31

o Color Temperature : Low

o Video Noise : Off

heres what made me go back to the drawing board... http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screen...947&position=9

Coincidentally they took the same screen shot as me at blu-ray.com ...and theyre SS came out lookin way more like what i saw in the theater ..than what My SS looks like

I agree with these settings, they are pretty much identical to the look of my calibrated TV. I did several comparisons, and it looks the same. I think I'm about done futzing with it.

That said, I did one thing: I switched to GAME mode. There's not really a difference. I wanted to get rid of the post processing. By the way, using these settings, I don't have the issues I mentioned earlier in the thread. Solids are solid, no banding that I can see.

I have another set of settings that, while stepping away from calibration, I still like them. I don't RECOMMEND them, I think the settings above are most "right" and will use them, but I'm holding onto these other settings...

I've found calibrated sets put a lot of pink into peoples' faces, this gets rid of that (Game Mode, Brightness:55, Contrast:70, Color:41, Tint:20, Sharp:50, No video noise, Low temp). Again, this isn't calibrated color, just a setting I happen to like.

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsoncc /forum/post/19597512

That said, I did one thing: I switched to GAME mode. There's not really a difference. I wanted to get rid of the post processing. By the way, using these settings, I don't have the issues I mentioned earlier in the thread. Solids are solid, no banding that I can see.

Good to hear the banding issue went away. But the GAME mode shouldn't be used for movies since I don't think it will do any 3:2 pulldown which could result in judder/jerky playback, because films are recorded at 24 fps. That's not an issue for gaming but it is for movies. I know you're using the set mostly for gaming but others aren't so they might not know better. Just wanted to clarify that for non-gamers out there.

Btw, any chance to get another screen shot so we can see how much better the set did with the banding issue?

#165 ·
i was just watching a tv channel that sells stuff and they had a mits 60 inch 3d

for a killer price here are some of the specs does this sound like a nice tv

Includes HDTV, remote control with 2 AA batteries, and HDMI cable

60" diagonal 3-D ready DLP display

Full HD 1080p resolution

120 Hz

StreamTV for access to a growing list of over 100 apps

Bluetooth audio streaming

Mitsubishi six-color processor

Plush 1080p 5G 12-bit video processing

Improved video noise reduction

Six 4:3/three 16:9 picture modes

EdgeEnhance

DeepField Imager

Four video modes: brilliant, bright, natural, game

Two internal loudspeakers

20W total audio output

Level sound dynamics limiter

Analog/digital/cable tuner

A/V adjustment

HDMI-PC compatibility

Three HDMI inputs

Two component AV inputs

Analog audio input

Ethernet input

USB input

Digital coaxial audio output

Analog audio output

3-D glasses emitter output; glasses not included

#166 ·
I am trying to get my WD-65638 working with my MX-850 remote. Does anyone have a working configuration with a similar URC remote? If so, can you send me a CCF, MXD or MXF file that I can import into the editor? The most important to me are simply the discrete Power On and Power Off functionality since all input will be coming from my receiver, but it would be nice to have all functionality available. I can learn all the functionality on the Mitsu remote, but obviously that doesn't cover discrete power codes.

Thanks,

Shane

#167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 /forum/post/19597821

i was just watching a tv channel that sells stuff and they had a mits 60 inch 3d

Includes HDTV, remote control with 2 AA batteries, and HDMI cable

60" diagonal 3-D ready DLP display

Full HD 1080p resolution

120 Hz

StreamTV for access to a growing list of over 100 apps

Bluetooth audio streaming

Mitsubishi six-color processor

Plush 1080p 5G 12-bit video processing

Improved video noise reduction

Six 4:3/three 16:9 picture modes

EdgeEnhance

DeepField Imager

Four video modes: brilliant, bright, natural, game

Two internal loudspeakers

20W total audio output

Level sound dynamics limiter

Analog/digital/cable tuner

A/V adjustment

HDMI-PC compatibility

Three HDMI inputs

Two component AV inputs

Analog audio input

Ethernet input

USB input

Digital coaxial audio output

Analog audio output

3-D glasses emitter output; glasses not included

i was watching it too...in HD it was sweet to watch a mit DLP in HD on on MIT DLP ..im not sure if it was 8 or 7 series but it had 100's of internet aps...man that thing was sweet.

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 /forum/post/19597821

Sounds like the 738 series model and on QVC. The prices they have listed are good but I can get the 73838 for 50 bucks more than they're selling the 738 in the same size. The only thing that makes me sad is seeing the size difference - the video on QVC shows 60, 73, and 82" models side by side. Makes me regret going with the 65". Yet, I have a 50" HDTV today so no matter what it's an upgrade. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 73" model since I expect there to be a full frame DLP chip in the 2011 or 2012 models so I didn't want to be "locked" in to a new set for too many years. That's why I got the C10/638 series. Something to upgrade me for the next 3 years before looking at the newer sets vs. being locked into a set for 7-10 years because I spent around $2,000 on it.

#169 ·
I just purchased a WD-65638 and am loving it so far. I have yet to do any tuning, but I have noticed an issue during dark scenes where there is a light circle about 6 inches in diameter in the lower left-center of the screen. Is this something that can be adjusted with some tuning, is this a major problem and the TV should be returned, or is this expected with a rear projection DLP? I have attached some pictures since my description is pretty poor.

Thanks for your help,

Shane

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozcruz33 /forum/post/19598503

I just purchased a WD-65638 and am loving it so far. I have yet to do any tuning, but I have noticed an issue during dark scenes where there is a light circle about 6 inches in diameter in the lower left-center of the screen. Is this something that can be adjusted with some tuning, is this a major problem and the TV should be returned, or is this expected with a rear projection DLP? I have attached some pictures since my description is pretty poor.

Thanks for your help,

Shane

That's not normal. If you bought the set locally then I would ask for a replacement. If online, then call Mitsubishi and have them send out someone to look at/repair the set.

You can try to use the "natural" setting to see if that helps but regardless of the setting you shouldn't be seeing that. Looks like something is loose in the light engine and causing a reflection of sorts.

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid69 /forum/post/19597669

Good to hear the banding issue went away. But the GAME mode shouldn't be used for movies since I don't think it will do any 3:2 pulldown which could result in judder/jerky playback, because films are recorded at 24 fps. That's not an issue for gaming but it is for movies. I know you're using the set mostly for gaming but others aren't so they might not know better. Just wanted to clarify that for non-gamers out there.

Btw, any chance to get another screen shot so we can see how much better the set did with the banding issue?

I have a couple of shots here but issue that I am having is that my camera is adding garbage. Halos around people in some instances, jpg grossness, etc. It's like someone cranked up the sharpness on the camera. Oh well, I'll upload them, just bear in mind both TVs look better in person.

It doesn't help that I was taking pictures of the Bengals / Saints game. ORANGE EVERYWHERE.

Mitsu:

Sony (reference set):

Picture to show you it's my camera's fault:

At this point, the differences are largely camera. I'll take more shots in a bit with better material.

#172 ·
These are probably not representative, I don't know why my camera doesn't like taking consistent pictures of the rear projection set.

The mostly black shot is to show that I don't have that circle, Shane should probably take that TV back.

Mitsubishi shots:

Sony Shots:

EDIT - got rid of inline pictures / forum destroying width - sorry!

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsoncc /forum/post/19598980

These are probably not representative, I don't know why my camera doesn't like taking consistent pictures of the rear projection set.

The mostly black shot is to show that I don't have that circle, Shane should probably take that TV back.

Mitsubishi shots:

Sony Shots:

EDIT - got rid of inline pictures / forum destroying width - sorry!

THESE mit pics much better....these are similar to my settings?

#174 ·
So if I'm understanding what discussion on this thread, the C10 (638) comes with a low-end video processor. Any signal that is put into the TV that isn't 1080p is converted by this low-end processor.

This TV will be used primarily for OTA HD signal. I get NBC in 1080i, FOX at 720p, ABC at 720p, PBS at 1080i, etc, etc. Will the video processor, while upping those to 1080p, effect the picture quality? If it does, it sounds like I can either get a cable card (any recommendations?) for the computer that will be hooked up it or an av receiver that does the conversion to 1080p.

I don't even have the TV yet and I'm starting to feel that this may have been a dumb purchase on my part, despite the really good deal I got. I sure hope I'm wrong.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez /forum/post/19599474

THESE mit pics much better....these are similar to my settings?

These are your settings.

I just watched Terminator 2 over Netflix. Since taking these, I've been playing with Color at 41 and Tint at 15 to make the reds less angry / take just a pinch of the intensity out of the skintones. I think both settings work really well. Bringing the color setting down a bit also gives greens just an ever so slightly more earthlike tone.

At this point it's guesswork, cause these settings are fairly good.

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick2822 /forum/post/19600017

So if I'm understanding what discussion on this thread, the C10 (638) comes with a low-end video processor. Any signal that is put into the TV that isn't 1080p is converted by this low-end processor.

This TV will be used primarily for OTA HD signal. I get NBC in 1080i, FOX at 720p, ABC at 720p, PBS at 1080i, etc, etc. Will the video processor, while upping those to 1080p, effect the picture quality? If it does, it sounds like I can either get a cable card (any recommendations?) for the computer that will be hooked up it or an av receiver that does the conversion to 1080p.

I don't even have the TV yet and I'm starting to feel that this may have been a dumb purchase on my part, despite the really good deal I got. I sure hope I'm wrong.

You should be fine, I've been pleased with it. Just stick to the settings in this thread, because it looks like hell out of the box. I can't speak for the C10, but I can say that the 700 series must use a different processor than the 638 - the settings for the 700 series TVs look bad on this set.

I don't have a CableCard, my cable package is pretty limited. I've been sticking to the QAM stuff that all looks pretty good.

I go out of my way to avoid the processor, but that's cause I'm gaming. The Natural set up looks good. This set is a steal for the price I paid (600).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.