AVS Forum banner

Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0

228K views 2K replies 310 participants last post by  shftup 
#1 ·
Post Deleted

#2 ·
How about one that anyone with out a BD burner can burn to DVD?!

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/19334357

How about one that anyone with out a BD burner can burn to DVD?!

-There is an ongoing project for that already

-The DVD size limitation is incapable of meeting my goals for the project

#4 ·
This is awesome Scuba. I was checking some of the clips the other day with my wife and my daughters friend while we waited for our daughter to come down to join us. They were in the back row, I was in the front. I look back and they're both sitting there with their fingers over their ears
. Admittedly I did crank it just a bit but one the LFE clips was so thunderous and loud that the Mrs. complained I hurt her ears.... oops my bad
I believe it was the Knowing clip.

I will have to review and answer your poll when I get a chance. 2.0 is gonna rock.

#6 ·
For surround effects, you can't beat the opening of Master and Commander. Boat creaks all around. And if you can hang in there until the first fire-fight: at points below deck you can hear action behind you (footsteps up stairs, walls being replaced) that are not represented at all on screen. Great stuff.

For eye-candy: well i know there is tons of CGI/Pixar stuff, but i always liked the coral-reef fly-over in Finding Nemo (once Nemo gets on the eagle ray for the school trip). Nice bright colours.

#8 ·

Links for Version 1 and Version 2

Links for for both of Steve's torrents:

Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0 ---   LINK

Another 1080P Demo Disc Project - Version 1.0  ---  LINK

==============================================================================================

Link for Version 2  (as of May 2013)

Fresh, direct link f/the V2.0 torrent : http://www.mediafire.com/?ryv68qxb68s8nt4

Subscribed and will carefully review the current disk to vote.

Looking forward for this one too.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/19602357

Bummer, I was hoping for Version II.

Don't really want to have 2 demo discs with some of the same clips on them.

I have 5 DVD demo discs, all with different scenes, and it works out great.

In my opinion, swapping discs sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

The goal for this project has always to have a single go-to disc when demoing. You won't really have 2 demo discs with the same clips. This is an update to the existing disc, at which point, when released, you'd no longer use 1.0.

#11 ·
Just another way to look at it Steve, but it's your project and we'll be happy with whatever you decide.

Personally, I like having a few different demo discs to choose from. Sometimes I'm in the mood for clips on one disc to show off, sometimes I'm in the mood to show off other clips. There's enough demo material out there to probably make 6 discs and every year there'll be more clips that come out that are worthy.

Swapping discs isn't an issue, as I generally wouldn't swap during the process (although with my DVD discs, I have a 5 disc player, so that makes it easier), but would just choose one to go with for that demo session and load it up.

#12 ·
I agree on the point of eliminating swapping, however, I don't feel that having a handful of discs to swap from is a bad thing either. It's one thing to swap in a disc for a 3 minute clip and then swap again. With these, most demos could still be accomplished without swapping at all. For other times, at least you'd put one in and have several favorites on each disc.

My vote would be for more material choice at the price of minimal swapping. But, as Stew and others keep saying....I'm grateful to have anything at all!

#13 ·
Nice job scuba. I'm subscribed and intent on voting. I don't have my copy of 1.0 yet but I'm already excited for 2.0

#14 ·
Scuba,

Like the above guys say your original disc is without equal. I think I load it and play more than I do movies since it became available--is that wrong ? Love the wide selection of movie clips and the way you divided up the sections.

I voted on your website for version II clips and was happy to see the THX with 15 votes. Think it may be one of the best all around clips as has LF, mid, highs eye candy etc all in one sweet compact package. Any chance there are others like that which could be included ?--usually skip to movie on my B-R so not sure if on any other movies besides Avatar. Remember some when used to go to the movies couple of years ago.

Thanks again for your excellent work and will have to keep my torrent available for version II.

Greg

#15 ·
Thanks for the opportunity to vote. I see many agreed with the amazing LFE in Master and Commander. I'd also be happy to keep the THX.

That being said, I understand your goal is a single demo disc, but I respectfully also cast my vote for a second disc with all new content. There are so many options out there, and I enjoy having lots of options to look at (this can also allow my guests to have more available choices for their preferences).

I hope to edit this post later to add the required details, but I'd like to submit the "flying fish" as seen in the Life blu-ray narrated by David Attenborough, for consideration for eye candy. There are a LOT of eye candy options in that set, but the flying fish really caught my eye.

#16 ·
I just watched some of Baraka today. It was the cleanest "eye candy" I've ever had in my theater!

Another idea: I can't keep straight which clip is which when going from Ironman (1) to Ironman (2), etc.. Maybe consider putting the chapter titles instead of the (1)? A bit more descriptive?

I just had two buddies over today and we did a 4 hour demo meet with this one single disc in! It made the day so much more enjoyable for me. In past demos I'd have a pile of discs and I'd be up and down the whole time.

#17 ·
Watched Expendables last night and it has everything ! I'll try to come up with specific clips. If you haven't yet, this is a must see and a real HBC (high body count) movie

#18 ·
Will be getting some new Reference Material BDs, unfortunately I have to wait another two weeks.

Once I get to watch them will have some stamp codes for new material.

#19 ·
Anyone has time stamp codes for:

Terminator Salvation

Baraka

I can get them but if someone already has some that they would like to have would save some work and time.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 /forum/post/19334209

Placeholder post for posting poll results and clip suggestions

I'd like to chip in with a music suggestion: from the Eagles Farewell 1, Hole in the World. Great test/demo material in many ways. Deep bass is bass drum and bass guitar. Close-ups for evaluating skin tones. Black on black clothing. Spotlights. And it's a great song.

And it's short!

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast /forum/post/19636263

Any particular scenes, Leo?

No particular chapter or clip(s), just because it has been suggested before, and if someone has the time codes already it makes it a lot easier to extract.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast /forum/post/19636281

I'd like to chip in with a music suggestion: from the Eagles Farewell 1, Hole in the World. Great test/demo material in many ways. Deep bass is bass drum and bass guitar. Close-ups for evaluating skin tones. Black on black clothing. Spotlights. And it's a great song.

And it's short!

Do you have the song/clip already Michael? If you do you can uploaded to the FTP server... Steve has access to it too.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo /forum/post/19638316

Do you have the song/clip already Michael? If you do you can uploaded to the FTP server... Steve has access to it too.

Don't have the technical ability or know-how (or probably even the hardware) to get one file off an HD DVD. But will be happy to lend it to Steve if needed. Or it may be available elsewhere,...

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast /forum/post/19641220

Don't have the technical ability or know-how (or probably even the hardware) to get one file off an HD DVD. But will be happy to lend it to Steve if needed. Or it may be available elsewhere,...

I can't get anything off of an HD-DVD, and well, for obvious reasons it wouldn't be worth the investment to procure the equipment to make that possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.