AVS Forum banner

Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread

258K views 3K replies 380 participants last post by  wilbur_the_goose 
#1 ·
i recently acquired an Emotiva XPA-5, and to my shock, there was no thread aimed primarily at the owners of this particular amp on AVS Forum. So i had to start one.

This amp is spectacular. I hooked it up to my Denon 4310CI (used as a processor) and you simply hear details that were not there before. I'm sure you've heard that before, but i'm here to tell you it's the truth.

One particular example is in Transformers 2. The "pimp-slap" that Optimus Prime gives Megatron at the beginning of the Graveyard Battle sequence is quite telling. In the theaters, and back when I was using the Denon 4310CI for audio, that smack sounded like a "clink" with a small bit of after-effect. Once the Amp was driving my speakers, that same smack was a full fledged, detailed, metallic scream that sounded amazing.

Of course this is just one tiny example, but it's one that folks can find easily to test out. (I also popped in "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World" and talking about that movie is a whole new thread in and of itself). My fellow Emotiva XPA-5 owners--how has this amp improved your Home Theater and/or Music listening experience? Feel free to list examples in music and movies where you've heard a difference after blessing your system with the Emotiva XPA-5. Please list your speakers and processor as well. It would be great to get an idea of the gear we (XPA-5 owners) are using with the mighty amp.

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast /forum/post/18357146

Has anyone upgraded from Line-Level (Unbalanced) to XLR (Balanced) inputs? If so, how noticable is the difference?

For short runs, you will not really notice a difference between RCA (unbalanced) vs XLR (balanced). THe advantage of balanced inputs is to overcome signal degredation due to long cable runs (over 20 ft or so). You see them used more with pro audio equipment utilising long cable runs.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast /forum/post/18357146

Has anyone upgraded from Line-Level (Unbalanced) to XLR (Balanced) inputs? If so, how noticable is the difference?

There's no SQ benefit simply from switching to XLR. However, if you are picking up any electrical noise on your RCA cables, the balanced connections may reduce or eliminate it.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneV /forum/post/18356018

I recently got an XPA-5, too. And, I, too, have heard all manners of things I didn't before ... but it's not entirely obvious to what extent it's because I'm listening for details now.

Anyway, two scenes I and the family picked up on are

* early scene in Transformers 2 where the ice cream truck is looking for Decepticons: now, the spluttering and bad-engine noises seem almost exaggerated

* scene in one of High School Musicals, where Troy is on a golf course, singing "Bet on me" (I think): the kids immediately commented on the drums that open the song [anyone with advice on how to wean kids off of these? please!?]

What are you running as a preamp? And what receiver were you running before?

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz /forum/post/18356106

What kind of speakers are you using with the xpa-5?

The extra details I mentioned were with a Pioneer front consisting of S-A5 + S-A5c + S-A5.

We've since changed the front to all B&W 685s. (For the time being, we are using a pair of them at centre.) In case it is necessary to say, the speaker change was more revealing than the addition of the XPA-5.

We are so impressed with the B&Ws, in fact, that we will shortly receive a pair of B&W 683s for left/rights, and will then start alternating between a single vs a pair of 685s at centre till we decide what we prefer.

The point of this is that we bought the XPA-5 to be able to experiment with things like 2 speakers on one channel, to have spare amplification for other uses, and ultimately to be able to play around with 9 and 11 (Audyssey) channels, in the expectation that no reasonably-priced receiver will come with 11 channel amplification for the foreseeable future.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv /forum/post/18359510

What are you running as a preamp? And what receiver were you running before?

The answer to both is a Denon 3805 (well, a 3890, but same difference). For movie playback we feed it with analog ext. in from an Auzentech X-Meridian. The card is known to output high voltages, so we run it at

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneV /forum/post/18359651

The answer to both is a Denon 3805 (well, a 3890, but same difference). For movie playback we feed it with analog ext. in from an Auzentech X-Meridian. The card is known to output high voltages, so we run it at

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast /forum/post/18361396

Ah,excellent. I'm currently in the process of comparing Audessey Calibration (via Denon AVR4310) effects to Calibration using a Radioshack Decibel Meter to see which is preferable. i just Calibrated using the dB meter this week. Will Watch the same movies i watched last week (Transformers 2, Master and Commander) and see which overall sound i prefer. either way I'm in for a treat, as I've been watching at least three blu rays a week since getting my XPA-5. I'm in love with the sound improvements this amp has made over the Denon internal amps.

The problem is, not many of my friends are into audio--they just know "Matt's theater is where we want to watch movies." So, it looks like I'm the only once noticing the benefits of the XPA-5. I can live with that

Dude, Audyssey calibration does WAY more than what your doing with the decibel meter. That just equalizes the Db from the listening position to each speaker. Audyssey will actually EQ your speakers to your room so to help reduce reflections and nulls, etc. Make sure and use the full amount of positions your reciever handles when doing the audyssey calibration.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin /forum/post/18361564

Dude, Audyssey calibration does WAY more than what your doing with the decibel meter. That just equalizes the Db from the listening position to each speaker. Audyssey will actually EQ your speakers to your room so to help reduce reflections and nulls, etc. Make sure and use the full amount of positions your reciever handles when doing the audyssey calibration.

Oh yeah, i know it's more advanced indeed. But i still feel like I need to be able to compare the two for myself. I've been using Audyssey for years--on the Denon 4310, and its predecessor, the Onkyo TX-SR674.(circa 2007) I'm sure i'll end up with Audyssey still activated, but I HAVE to know how it sounds since I have teh tools for both.

I use 3 positions, but the max is 6. My first setup i used all six at each listening position and the sound was all over the place (the final three listening positions are on a sofa that is perpendicular to the primary sofa). So I utilize only the primary listening positions to set up the Audyssey but it sounded excellent. But I experimented and tried only one position, and it was terrible (which is funny because the Onkyo ONLY allowed one position).

I certainly agree--the max primary listening positions.....albeit, facing the same direction!

#35 ·
Ok so after using the SPL Meter, and playing the movies, I'm definitely going with the Audyssey Eq on the Denon 4310 via the Emotiva XPA-5. I recalibrated the system after plugging my SVSPB-13 and running it in Sealed Mode. It turns out, with a Tripod, six locations DOES improve sound. It keeps the Mic at a steady hight at all times.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/18355039

I have owned a number of multichannel amps and none have had any fans (thankfully
). Cooling is accomplished by the heat rising up through the top vents.

Bill

Why thankfully?? What is so bad about fans? The noise or something else? I was thinking about buying a used ADA amp, but have heard they all (6150, MPA 501, etc) use fans...

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardmoneylender /forum/post/18387065

Why thankfully?? What is so bad about fans? The noise or something else? I was thinking about buying a used ADA amp, but have heard they all (6150, MPA 501, etc) use fans...

Fans are used for cooling purposes. Over time they can fatigue and become audible. Fans are installed in some amps to aid in cooling which will reduce the size of the heat sinks necessary which in turn reduces the overall size and weight of the amp.

#38 ·
Hey there, can an owner or knowledgeable fellow answer a question for me please? Is it possible to bridge four of the channels into two, (for a total of 2 channels at 400w each)?

I would like to do this and then save up for a seperate 2 channel amp, like XPA-2, then move the remain XPA-5 channels around to my surrounds and center.

Is the first question regarding bridging possible? Thank you so much!!!

Zulu

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker /forum/post/19625568

Hey there, can an owner or knowledgeable fellow answer a question for me please? Is it possible to bridge four of the channels into two, (for a total of 2 channels at 400w each)?

I would like to do this and then save up for a seperate 2 channel amp, like XPA-2, then move the remain XPA-5 channels around to my surrounds and center.

Is the first question regarding bridging possible? Thank you so much!!!

Zulu

No I don't think bridging on the XPA-5 is possible or advisable. The XPA-2 can be bridged via a switch on the rear of the amp. The XPA-5 lacks this switch. Pull up the manuals and have a look. I own an XPA-5 and have dealt with the XPA-2. You can get a little more power to your mains when using the XPA-5 in stereo mode because the center and surrounds are sitting idle. Leaving the power supply to only power two amps out of the five. It has been advised that if you have difficult speakers to drive and intend on using high volumes that you could run into trouble doing this. Emotiva recommends using a dedicated 2 channel amp if you fit into this category.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/19625674

No I don't think bridging on the XPA-5 is possible or advisable. The XPA-2 can be bridged via a switch on the rear of the amp. The XPA-5 lacks this switch. Pull up the manuals and have a look. I own an XPA-5 and have dealt with the XPA-2. You can get a little more power to your mains when using the XPA-5 in stereo mode because the center and surrounds are sitting idle. Leaving the power supply to only power two amps out of the five. It has been advised that if you have difficult speakers to drive and intend on using high volumes that you could run into trouble doing this. Emotiva recommends using a dedicated 2 channel amp if you fit into this category.

Thank you Secret Squirrel. I suspected this, since I was not seeing the bridge option published anywhere...I think you are right about the two channel amp, I have known that logic for sometime...I just really wanted a Christmas miracle.

#41 ·
Just received my XPA-5 last Tuesday, so

I've had it set up and running for less than a week. First of all, showed up in perfect shape (no dents, all LED's same brightness)...secondly, It makes an awesome addition to my Denon AVR-4810...Great Amp!!! Can't believe how warm the sound is and truly how much headroom there is..may add another! Great job Emotiva! Heres a pic of the amp with my gear.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathron /forum/post/19636682

Just received my XPA-5 last Tuesday, so

I've had it set up and running for less than a week. First of all, showed up in perfect shape (no dents, all LED's same brightness)...secondly, It makes an awesome addition to my Denon AVR-4810...Great Amp!!! Can't believe how warm the sound is and truly how much headroom there is..may add another! Great job Emotiva! Heres a pic of the amp with my gear.

Nice gear. I just got my Xpa5 friday. Just waiting for my interconnects and speaker cable to arrive. I noticed theres not much clearance above your amp, are you concerned about heat?

#43 ·
I have a call into Emotiva tech dept (from this morning...I guess they are busy). Does anyone know if one can run both 4ohm speakers and 8ohm speakers at the sametime on this amp? My front three are 4 ohm speakers, my sides are 8ohm speakers. If I read the manual correctly, it would appear that this arrangement is discouraged.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck /forum/post/19707401

Just got an XPA-5 and wondering if its a must to rerun audyssey calibration on my Denon 3808. Thanks.

Unless you have an SPL meter and want to manually calibrate it...

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNOD /forum/post/19709019

My XPA-5 really helped with my 7.1 POLK RTIA speakers, my next upgrade is to add 2 XPA1s to drive my RTI A9s.

more details are there and the speakers shine, this is compared to the yamaha 665 that was driving them initially.

best upgrade so far.

Thank you so much! This is the direct comparison I have been looking for, it is helping me to move in this direction.

I am very excited. Can you describe the level of detail(s) or what exactly you heard for the first time?

Very much appreciated,

Zulu

#50 ·
Hey guys,

I currently have an XPA-5 driving my setup and was thinking about adding a UPA-2 and getting some surround back speakers. I plan to also upgrade to the UMC-1 for the 7.1 setup. My question is with the power difference, will the UPA-2 play nicely with the XPA-5?

I'm running Definitive Technology:

BP7000's fronts

CLR3000 center

BPVX surrounds

Reference Supercube

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUguy /forum/post/19730656

Hey guys,

I currently have an XPA-5 driving my setup and was thinking about adding a UPA-2 and getting some surround back speakers. I plan to also upgrade to the UMC-1 for the 7.1 setup. My question is with the power difference, will the UPA-2 play nicely with the XPA-5?

I'm running Definitive Technology:

BP7000's fronts

CLR3000 center

BPVX surrounds

Reference Supercube

The XPA-5 and UPA-2 should work fine together. Rear surrounds don't handle that much information and the speakers you have listed should really not need a lot of extra amplification. Im guessing that you are going with a pair of BPVX as rear surrounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.