AVS Forum banner

Wdtv live plus hd

169K views 825 replies 215 participants last post by  Otter0911 
#1 ·
#452 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyEngineer /forum/post/19590103

It may not be the same issue, but twice now I've had issues where playing back either video_ts folder or .iso of a DVD not play back smoothly. Both times, I was able to solve the issue by pressing the reset button on the WDTV. The first time it happened, I tried everything I could think of (powered off and on with remote, even rewired my network so the WDTV and my server were on the same switch,) but nothing fixed it until I hit the reset button.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I will try the reset button when I get home tonight. I have power cycled with the remote, reset to factory defaults, and rewired the network to put the NAS on the same router as the wdtv, all to no avail. Playing only the movie using the preview screen works smoothly but I lose all chapter navigation and disc menu that way, so that is not ideal. Thanks again for the tip.

#453 ·
I still have one of these deployed at my wife's office and it's no longer seeing the shares on the WHS.

If I go into file management the WHS does not even show up in the list of devices, even though I can browse to the WHS via netbios with any PC on the network.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I've tried updating the firmware, resetting all settings, etc, but no matter what I do this stupid thing never sees my WHS or any of its shares on the network.

It sees the WHS under "media servers" but that does me no good, I need it to connect to the video SHARE on the WHS box.

This was all working for a few months now and all of a sudden nothing is working with this WD thing.

#454 ·
I finally gave up on network shares using the wdtv because it became so unreliable connecting to my Synology 210j NAS that my iMac can see no problem. Actually the wdtv can usually "see" the NAS and connect to the shares but stutters badly when playing video_ts folders that play fine from my iMac on the same network. I finally copied all of the recent videos to a usb drive and connected that to the wdtv and it now works flawlessly, and I can also rip my dvds directly from my iMac. The networking on the wdtv is a huge disappointment to be sure, but livable for now.

What is of more immediate concern to me is that when I am playing a movie (all are in video_ts format) everything is fine until I pause. After hitting play the status/time bar never disappears, and the only way I have found to get rid of it is to stop and then resume the movie. Is this a known bug with the wdtv? Is there a workaround besides stopping and resuming?

#455 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w /forum/post/19627766

I finally gave up on network shares using the wdtv because it became so unreliable connecting to my Synology 210j NAS that my iMac can see no problem. Actually the wdtv can usually "see" the NAS and connect to the shares but stutters badly when playing video_ts folders that play fine from my iMac on the same network. I finally copied all of the recent videos to a usb drive and connected that to the wdtv and it now works flawlessly, and I can also rip my dvds directly from my iMac. The networking on the wdtv is a huge disappointment to be sure, but livable for now.

What is of more immediate concern to me is that when I am playing a movie (all are in video_ts format) everything is fine until I pause. After hitting play the status/time bar never disappears, and the only way I have found to get rid of it is to stop and then resume the movie. Is this a known bug with the wdtv? Is there a workaround besides stopping and resuming?

My WDLIVE+ also stutters badly when playing .ts or .m2ts from my PC. Are your WDLIVE and the Synology hooked to the same Ethernet switch ? Thanks.

#456 ·
Hi,

Based on the DLNA / UPnP Renderer capabilities of the WD TV Live Devices, we have built a Mobile Media Center / Controller. It has Video Podcasts, YouTube, Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, etc. and it also acts as a UPnP ControlPoint for your local media servers. We named it ZappoTV and it is available for free on the iPhone App Store.

I am really looking forward to get your feedback about the functionality, performance etc.

JEEVO

#457 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w /forum/post/19627766

There are a whole slew of media and use-dependent problems being reported with the recent 1.04.10 B and V firmware versions. See here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware..._live_firmware

I've personally run into various stuttering playback issues over LAN shares for different kinds of media formats. One temporary solution is to roll back to an earlier firmware version such as 1.03.29 or 1.03.39 while WDC works on fixes. Rollback instructions are posted in various places in the above WDC forum.

#458 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
There are a whole slew of media and use-dependent problems being reported with the recent 1.04.10 B and V firmware versions. See here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware..._live_firmware

I've personally run into various stuttering playback issues over LAN shares for different kinds of media formats. One temporary solution is to roll back to an earlier firmware version such as 1.03.29 or 1.03.39 while WDC works on fixes. Rollback instructions are posted in various places in the above WDC forum.

I would have agree with what you stated....Over the past couple of weeks I've seen a rash of issues been posted by users in th WD live,live+ and the HUB thread. Mind you i don't have evidence and these are just my opinion based off my experiences.

I had the HUB and brought it back to BB because as many stated it would not see my shares on my unraid server even thou it was able to see my server (TOWER) when it search for media server.

I was however able to access my WIN 7, XP and VISTA boxes, and from these boxes i was able to access the storage on the HUB.

WD needs to get this fix ASAP

#459 ·
Ok I just setup the WD LIve plus - I can access the shares on my Win7 box, Vortexbox works with no interaction but my FREENAS box doesn't work(can't access). But my two win7 machines can play/access freenas as well as my squeezebox.

Am I missing something?

OK I can get to the box as I forgot about how I set it up originally.

Does this consolidate Media together if you have multiple shares?

Say \\\\PC1\\Movies

\\\\PC2\\Movies

So that if you go into VIdeo you don't have to browse to a different device each time?

#460 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs /forum/post/19644366

Ok I just setup the WD LIve plus - I can access the shares on my Win7 box, Vortexbox works with no interaction but my FREENAS box doesn't work(can't access). But my two win7 machines can play/access freenas as well as my squeezebox.

Am I missing something?

I think there is a major bug affecting the entire line of WD media players.

JMO

#462 ·
i want to add to tis thread i have have nothing but problm with network shares and win7 box.

that problem was traced to Norton 360 firewall.

if i turn it off i have no problems with sharing whatsoever.

I have tried to set up the trust in norton to some degree of success. but not as good as if i turn it off completely.

so check and every and all firewall software you may have even if it appears to be set up correctly.

#463 ·
I can't find any blu-ray or other solution other than buying a media box. I see your posts with problems. Maybe you can tell me if your problems would affect me and what you think my satisfaction would be with the little I require out of the box? I will use no internet anything except for updates (Maybe) lol. All I want to do is play flac files from a connected USB HDD with the artwork embedded and maybe a few video music files in iso format with 5.1 dd. Thats it. Would the artwork show up for my files and has flac and dvd iso's been pretty good for you over a usb device not wireless but wired with usb hdd? Thanks much if you can answer.

#464 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekintraining
I can't find any blu-ray or other solution other than buying a media box. I see your posts with problems. Maybe you can tell me if your problems would affect me and what you think my satisfaction would be with the little I require out of the box? I will use no internet anything except for updates (Maybe) lol. All I want to do is play flac files from a connected USB HDD with the artwork embedded and maybe a few video music files in iso format with 5.1 dd. Thats it. Would the artwork show up for my files and has flac and dvd iso's been pretty good for you over a usb device not wireless but wired with usb hdd? Thanks much if you can answer.
According to the specs, the WDTV Live Plus does support flac:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320

I ran a test for you and they do play over LAN shares (FW version 1.03.39). So I'm sure they'd play on a USB HDD as well. I don't have any artwork for my few flac files so can't comment about artwork. The WDTV does support cover thumbnails, but I don't know how to use them.

If this doesn't give you enough confidence and nobody else responds here, then head over to the WDC forums @wdc.com.

#465 ·
Hey I was originally going to get a Popbox but this baby seems to do the same thing for $50 cheaper. However, I was doing some reading and some people were saying this chipset has problems handling mkvs?

All of my movies are in AVC mkv or some variation of h264/x264. Last thing I want it stutter problems.

I've tried searching through this thread but obviously am not using the right terms. so here is hoping somebody can tell me that all is good and I can buy myself a new christmas gift.

oh yeah, do you have to use one of the approved list of wireless adapters or is there another list somewhere on this forum of ones that work with this model?

#466 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiancarl /forum/post/19669763

Hey I was originally going to get a Popbox but this baby seems to do the same thing for $50 cheaper. However, I was doing some reading and some people were saying this chipset has problems handling mkvs?

All of my movies are in AVC mkv or some variation of h264/x264. Last thing I want it stutter problems.

I've tried searching through this thread but obviously am not using the right terms. so here is hoping somebody can tell me that all is good and I can buy myself a new christmas gift.

oh yeah, do you have to use one of the approved list of wireless adapters or is there another list somewhere on this forum of ones that work with this model?

Generally speaking, I'd say you'll be OK so long as you stay away from the last two production firmware releases (1.04.10B and 1.03.49B). Those two seem to have been released in haste and are more buggy than usual. Better to go with 1.03.29 (production) or 1.03.39 (beta) until WDC sorts things out ... they seem more stable for mkv playback over LAN, at least that's my experience.

That said, there are figuratively an infinite variety of ways in which WDTV users use their WDTV's and everyone's media are different (e.g. user A created their MKV's one way, while user B used a different technique, user C doesn't use subtitles, user D wants PGS subtitles, user E is using a DLNA server, user F is using a USB hard drive, ... etc.). These subtle differences unfortunately sometimes matter, at least in my experience. If you go to the WDC forums, there were initially glowing reports for 1.04.10. But as time passed and more users tried it out, the bug reports started rolling in. Those early reporters just didn't have the variety of media variations or usage scenarios to fully test out the new FW release.

So as a precaution, don't assume that just because you hear someone say "my so and so files play fine" that yours will too. The best thing you can do is to get a WDTV into your hands and try it for yourself. That means borrowing a friend's unit and testing it against all your media (that's what I did) or buying your WDTV from a place where it can be easily returned for a refund should it not work out for you.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, and I'm fairly pleased with my WDTV Live+ given the variety of my media library (which includes blu ray MKV rips) and how little the WDTV costs, but the reality is you'll probably discover a few flaws which you'll need to work around like the rest of us.

#467 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiancarl /forum/post/19669763

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin /forum/post/19670178

That said, there are figuratively an infinite variety of ways in which WDTV users use their WDTV's and everyone's media are different (e.g. user A created their MKV's one way, while user B used a different technique, user C doesn't use subtitles, user D wants PGS subtitles, user E is using a DLNA server, user F is using a USB hard drive, ... etc.). These subtle differences unfortunately sometimes matter, at least in my experience. If you go to the I don't mean to be pessimistic, and I'm fairly pleased with my WDTV Live+ given the variety of my media library (which includes blu ray MKV rips) and how little the WDTV costs, but the reality is you'll probably discover a few flaws which you'll need to work around like the rest of us.

I'd agree with everything hydrogin said, but would like to add couple points.

First, there is nothing wrong with an used chipset per se. The same chipset is used with the most popular and much more expensive models, potential problems are with firmware.

Second, stuttering, usually, does not have anything to do with the device in question, it's more related to your environment: router, switches, computers on your network, topology of your network, cables.

And that brings us to the same conclusion: nothing can be compared to actual testing of particular device in your environment on your material.

Regarding wireless adapter: again, just try it. I saw some adapter from the approved list for $20.00-.

The same with keyboard: I have Logitech diNovo Mini. I don't know if it's approved or not, I just plugged it in and it worKed.

#469 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiancarl /forum/post/19670875

Thanks for the info guys. I am pretty sure this will be the box for me.

But in searching around they have Seagate FAT+ for only $50. The menu interface looks ugly but idk if it is so ugly that $50 won't make me feel better.

These decisions keep getting tougher and tougher.

If you need data to make a decision, see here:

http://www.iboum.com/

Just a general observation ... most of the popular boxes have been using Sigma media processors, the FAT+ is based on Realtek.

#470 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter /forum/post/19670695

Second, stuttering, usually, does not have anything to do with the device in question, it's more related to your environment: router, switches, computers on your network, topology of your network, cables.

I'm not quite convinced of that ... I've seen the same MKV stuttering problems a huge number of other owners have been reporting. But those problems manifested themselves merely by changing the firmware. My LAN was identical before and after the WDTV firmware update.

I will agree that the things you mentioned can make a difference ... For example, I've noticed performance differences depending on where my WDTV taps into my LAN (works better when the video source and WDTV are segregated by a switch away from the main router) and how my server NIC is setup (adding more buffer space by increasing descriptor counts helps).

But in the cases of the MKV stuttering issue and the DVD VOB stuttering issue, the likelihood is the problem is in the 1.04.10 WDTV firmware.

#471 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin /forum/post/19670953

I'm not quite convinced of that ... I've seen the same MKV stuttering problems a huge number of other owners have been reporting. But those problems manifested themselves merely by changing the firmware. My LAN was identical before and after the WDTV firmware update.

I will agree that the things you mentioned can make a difference ... For example, I've noticed performance differences depending on where my WDTV taps into my LAN (works better when the video source and WDTV are segregated by a switch away from the main router) and how my server NIC is setup (adding more buffer space by increasing descriptor counts helps).

But in the cases of the MKV stuttering issue and the DVD VOB stuttering issue, the likelihood is the problem is in the 1.04.10 WDTV firmware.

I agree re dvd vob playback stuttering. I had no issue at all before the last upgrade, but then video_ts became completely unwatchable over the network (but still worked fine from an attached usb drive). I downgraded today (1.03.39 I think?) and the stuttering is gone.

#472 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w /forum/post/19670991

I agree re dvd vob playback stuttering. I had no issue at all before the last upgrade, but then video_ts became completely unwatchable over the network (but still worked fine from an attached usb drive).

There is a chance to play DVD without stuttering with last firmware over network, if you press play on the top of VIDEO_TS folder and DVD is played back without DVD navigation, without DVD menu, main movie only.

So it has something to do with DVD navigation, or some of their subroutines where they screwed up.

#473 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinusss /forum/post/19674730

There is a chance to play DVD without stuttering with last firmware over network, if you press play on the top of VIDEO_TS folder and DVD is played back without DVD navigation, without DVD menu, main movie only.

So it has something to do with DVD navigation, or some of their subroutines where they screwed up.

Yes I noticed that if I was in preview mode and selected the preview that this is exactly what happened, but then you lose all navigation capabilities. Bummer. Oh well, reverting to the previous revision worked for me. Do you know how to get rid of the annoying prompt for new firmware? I am happy with what I have and don't want to upgrade.

#474 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w /forum/post/19674842

Do you know how to get rid of the annoying prompt for new firmware? I am happy with what I have and don't want to upgrade.

There is some discussion about that at the wdc forums. I haven't tried, but it looked like it involved some blocking of IP addresses. But someone said those addresses occasionally change.

#475 ·
Hello,

Not sure if I am posting in the right forum. I have the DS211j hooked up in our office to the router with avi and mkv quality movies on them. I had intended to access from my laptop wirelessly (linksys 610 n router) and then connect HDMI to the tv to watch. Problem is the mkv videos are choppy (lagging). I realize this is probably due to my video card on my laptop (although it should be sufficient). CPU was maxed out at 100% running these movies.

So, I bought the WDTV plus in hopes that the wireless will still be sufficient to stream. I bought the linksys AE100 as the adapter. Thought being this will access the NAS and play the movies through the TV via HDMI. Thoughts?

Other thing I can think of is our house is only 1 year old and has cat5e in the bonus room (where the tv is) and the office. Am I able to send this through a wired connection? Will it work to just use an ehternet cable from the bonus room location to the laptop (or wdtv) so it's a wired, faster connection? Not sure what needs to be done in our basement for this solution as we have a 'hub' down there that brings all the tv/phone connections into one box. I'm sorry i'm not very familiar with this but i'm wondering if it's possible?

Sorry, new to the NAS and all other components, we are just trying to get bluerays from the NAS onto our tv upstairs for viewing. Suggestions? Thoughts? Let me know if you can provide any help at all.

Much appreciated from a newbie!

#476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmedia /forum/post/19561536

How good is the anime subtitle support with this? Color, karaoke effects, etc?

You've got to be kidding-right? If not-then it's horrible, if you don't like white subtitles with black outlines then you're outta luck. It's precisely for that reason that I got rid of my WD Live and traded it for a PCH A210-it does support ass/ssa subs with the effects-not perfectly but way better than any other media player out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.