AVS Forum banner
474K views 2K replies 484 participants last post by  rural scribe 
#1 ·
ok so whats the best 3d bluray movie to get so far?? i plan on buying one today. i did a little research but its between cloudy,monsters vs aliens , and monster house unless i hear different from u guys.

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B /forum/post/19740394

I'm getting tired of animated 3D movies and am tempted to get RE just because it's "real." Looking for some 3D "pop!" And, for me, 2--->3D works only about 1/4 of the time, although I have yet to try any of the Star Wars movies.

Step Up 3D.

pop pop

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce can /forum/post/19741601

Avatar for the complete 3d experience for me .

Grand Canyon was just beautifull, a few scenes really made you feel like you were there .

Bruce

I have the regular dvd- not blu ray of Avatar, but for teh 3d goodness are you talking about the panasonic exclusive version?

i just ordered a sony bravia xbr60lx900

I want to have some fun with 3D asap!

I knwo its an lcd/led TV but I loved the picture. Anyone have any advice on if that Avatar dvd will upconvert nicely into 1080i and 2d-3d?

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by div3r5ity /forum/post/19222856

ok so whats the best 3d bluray movie to get so far?? i plan on buying one today. i did a little research but its between cloudy,monsters vs aliens , and monster house unless i hear different from u guys.

My favorites have been Avatar, A Christmas Carol and Resident Evil Afterlife. Not in terms of actual cinematic quality, but for 3-D FX, these 3 are tops in my book. The one with the most 3-D FX would be A Christmas Carol. The one with the best 3-D FX would be Avatar. The 3 you plan on don't really approach the 3 I named (in my opinion, obviously). Well, maybe Monsters vs. Aliens, as it does a lot of the "pop out of the screen" sort of stuff. It's just that I really don't like that movie.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadocs /forum/post/19688365

My bloody valentine? although I don't think it was any better 3D wise than Alice in Wonderland.

MBV was a conversion. They filmed it with 3-D in mind, but didn't have the budget to actually film 3-D. Piranha did the same thing. We have yet to see a modern horror film that was filmed in true 3-D (although I'm not sure about Saw 7).

EDIT: I'm not counting Resident Evil as a horror film, as they're definitely more action/adventure.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1978 /forum/post/19744989

MBV was a conversion. They filmed it with 3-D in mind, but didn't have the budget to actually film 3-D. Piranha did the same thing. We have yet to see a modern horror film that was filmed in true 3-D (although I'm not sure about Saw 7).

EDIT: I'm not counting Resident Evil as a horror film, as they're definitely more action/adventure.

Are you sure MBV was a conversion? From what I remember, it was shot in 3D and the image doesn't have the tell tale signs of a conversion.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. /forum/post/19745192

Positively wrong. MY BLOODY VALENTINE was shot enirely in native 3-D. So were SAW 3D and SCAR.

If true (but MBV screenwriter Todd Farmer said it was actually filmed in 2-D, with 3-D in mind, and converted), they did a horrible job. The 3-D in that film was subpar. If you're right and it was actually filmed in 3-D (why would the writer claim it was filmed in 2-D, though?), why were most of the FX so tepid?

How was Saw 7's 3-D? I'm tempted to pre-order without seeing the movie first. Is it worth it (the 3D FX, not the movie itself)?

#63 ·
I've never seen any reference to anyone involved with MBV stating it was converted; quite the opposite in every article I've ever seen. It was shot with the earlier generation Red camera. Also, while everyone is entitled to an opinion, the general consensus was the the 3-D was fairly effective.

I thought of a few more recent native 3-D horror films; NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3D, HAUNTING OF WINCHESTER HOUSE, THE FINAL DESTINATION, THE CHILD'D EYE and the in production FINAL DESTINATION 5. So you see there have been quite a few so far.

#64 ·
Avatar is overall the best IMO from the ~10 I have seen. Open Season is probably 2nd and maybe Under the Sea 3rd. Polar Express/A Christmas Carol is up there as well. Alice In Wonderland is great as well.............hell all of them have been good, but these seem to stand out more than the rest from what I have seen.

As far as single best 3d effect it would be a close call between the Potato Cod fish in Under The Sea and the M&M/Orange bouncing off your face in IMAX Space Station.

Again though, that is just out of what I have seen. Between ton and tom I will watch Resident Evil and Grand Canyon so the list might change.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1978 /forum/post/19745287

If true (but MBV screenwriter Todd Farmer said it was actually filmed in 2-D, with 3-D in mind, and converted), they did a horrible job. The 3-D in that film was subpar. If you're right and it was actually filmed in 3-D (why would the writer claim it was filmed in 2-D, though?), why were most of the FX so tepid?

How was Saw 7's 3-D? I'm tempted to pre-order without seeing the movie first. Is it worth it (the 3D FX, not the movie itself)?

Pretty sure this was shot in 3D. This interview with the director talks about it.

This is not just a regular movie. You shot it in 3D. I know that in the old days doing a movie in 3D was an arduous process, and the cameras in particular were a pain to use. Have things changed?

Things have changed. It's technically much easier - it's still not easy, mostly because of the size of the gear. You're not shooting with one camera, you're shooting with two that are slaved together in perfect synchronization and one is shooting into a mirror and one is shooting through a mirror and you're adjusting the depth as you're getting the shot. It's complicated, but it's so much better than it used to be, which is why the viewing experience is better than going back to things like Jaws 3D, because that technology was a much more painful process. This, we had two main characters, an A and B camera; the B camera was an older version that was used to film the T2 3D ride, and the A rig was much smaller and leaner and was finished the day before we started production. Basically we tested it on day one. And it worked beautifully.

http://www.chud.com/articles/article...-3D/Page1.html

Anyways, FX isn't a good indicator of a 2D-3D conversion. Ususally the FX will be CG so those elements normally look better due to the existing 3D model. Easy way to tell is by looking at the edge of objects within a scene and also people's faces in a live action movie. 3D conversions can have a strange warping effect here. The better conversions like Alice or Mummies 3D can still have an unnatural pop-up book look in the live action footage.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blit184 /forum/post/0

If and when it becomes available for all..... Avatar Blu Ray 3D is fantastic!

I bought the new _3D a Christmas Carol,Monster House,Cats &Dogs revenge of Kitty Galore, these fine and probably even more popular for loss . what I'm really craving is some non animated 3D movies . They biggest disappointment with the new 3D technology is there clearky is very little movies to choose from out there currently.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb81 /forum/post/0

I bought the new _3D a Christmas Carol,Monster House,Cats &Dogs revenge of Kitty Galore, these fine and probably even more popular for loss . what I'm really craving is some non animated 3D movies . They biggest disappointment with the new 3D technology is there clearky is very little movies to choose from out there currently.

Kitty Galore?

#70 ·
Dumb response, I know... But Avatar is keeps and bounds ahead of everything else I have seen thus far on 3D BD. Just incredible

#71 ·
I just bought a 82in Mitsubishi 3D TV and I saw the Legends Of The Guardians The Owls Of Ga'Hoole 3D. It was great. I've watched it 5 time and I'm getting ready to watch it again. It was a wow experience for me and my family. My next 3D movie will be Resident Evil AfterLife. I can't wait. This was a great investment for me.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightblk /forum/post/19751845

I just bought a 82in Mitsubishi 3D TV and I saw the Legends Of The Guardians The Owls Of Ga'Hoole 3D. It was great. I've watched it 5 time and I'm getting ready to watch it again. It was a wow experience for me and my family. My next 3D movie will be Resident Evil AfterLife. I can't wait. This was a great investment for me.

The computer graphics on this movie were truly awesome in non-3D. If you actually look at the detail on the feathers and various other items in the movie you will just be in awe. Can't wait to buy it and in 3D.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joels1010 /forum/post/19223452

I like grand canyon the best, the 3d in that one really pulled me into the documentary. Also, the opening credits with the water bubbles were really cool!

The bubble scene truly helped me validate my 3D was setup correctly with my samsung. The spilt images on the bubbles was huge and I was just amazed when you have it setup right the images merge that well and the 3D effect is stellar! WoW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.