AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 959 participants last post by  kiwijunglist 
#1 ·

Due to limitations with forum software as of 5/01/12 I am moving the updated version of my guide over the my blog located at assassinhtpcblog.com . The guide at my blog will remain free and as time allows I will update my guide here when possible. Due to the size of my guide I am getting multiple timeouts which makes updating the guide incredibly time consuming and the forum software is very cumbersome for these guides. Thanks for the continued support.

Assassin's HTPC Buying Guide (Click Logo Below)

See less See more
#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/19742823

Why not just go straight to the source and get haali to play mkv. It's a simple file click and you are done. There is no reason to install the bloatware of packs.

I agree. It's always better for someone to know exactly which codecs are installed on their HTPC and why and not to have more installed than you need. As they say: "give a man to fish...". I'm of the teach mentality.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/19743012

I agree. It's always better for someone to know exactly which codecs are installed on their HTPC and why and not to have more installed than you need. As they say: "give a man to fish...". I'm of the teach mentality.

I have always just used shark007 and for me it works well. If you want to just use haali that would work as well.

#23 ·
If you are trying to keep it simple there is no need for codec packs, just install Haali media splitter for mkv playback within WMC 7.

Also, that particular remote has no learning function. The original MCE remote works great because you can program it to turn off your TV and the volume buttons can be programmed to control the receiver volume. No need for any other remotes.

Not sure if the original remotes are still available ? Anyone know of an alternative MCE (dedicated, not a universal) remote that has a learning function ?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuz /forum/post/19743309

If you are trying to keep it simple there is no need for codec packs, just install Haali media splitter for mkv playback within WMC 7.

In my experience there always ends up being "more" you need. I normally don't like codec packs either but Shark has done a really nice job with a nice clean codec pack that doesn't puke all over your system or registry and uninstalls clean as well. It's got a very nice UI to pick and choose exactly what codecs you want to use for many different filetypes.

For example, Haali doesn't work or is buggy for a lot of people. For me it doesn't play nice with external subtitle files for example. No problem, in Shark on the MKV tab simply uncheck Haali and check Gabeset. Done deal.

Another fine example is subtitles. Just check the box to choose between Vobsub or FFDShow.

Problem with VC-1 on your system? You've got 3 or 4 choices on how to handle VC1. Just check the box of which one you want to try.

It really can't get any simpler then that.

Without Shark you're installing this, uninstalling that, etc. just trying to find something that works and many times leaving junk all over the place which messes up your system. Shark is nice and clean.

Anyway, thus endeth my Shark advocacy for the day.

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickisdaddy /forum/post/19743688

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately the price on the i3 just increased. Newegg is now $125. The HDD is $100.

I am going to be building my HTPC once tax return gets here in Feb.

Prices fluctuate all the time depending on supply. With Sandybridge here in a couple weeks prices may widely swing up and down from day to day even. As the Clarkdale i3/i5's get replaced by the SB processors prices may also go up as well. We'll be in transition to the newest technology for the next 2-3 months for sure.

#29 ·
Thanks for putting this together, I'm building a new HTPC right now with one maybe two ceton tuner cards, and I have six Linksys DMA 2100 media center extenders, wired up 2 runs of shielded cat6 to every tv in the home, got to get the htpc parts ordered this week, thanks again for posting!

#31 ·
I second all of Assassin's recommendations. Great choices and explanations.

Was that one guy serious about 8gb of RAM for an HTPC? lol.

This whole list may or may not be obsolete in a week, but as prices stand today, this is the list to have.

We should make one of these lists for game playing as well.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy10 /forum/post/19754776

I second all of Assassin's recommendations. Great choices and explanations.

Was that one guy serious about 8gb of RAM for an HTPC? lol.

This whole list may or may not be obsolete in a week, but as prices stand today, this is the list to have.

Thanks. You have good taste.

#33 ·
thanks for the write up assassin, I am looking forward to creating an HTPC and growing my media collection soon, so this will go a long way to help.

extremely noob question - does this set up include an HDMI out (to the TV for example)? is that built in with the processor or other part? I've never physically put a computer together (and will likely need help when i create my HTPC), so I am not sure how all of the in/out ports work.

Thanks!

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledownavs /forum/post/19760428

thanks for the write up assassin, I am looking forward to creating an HTPC and growing my media collection soon, so this will go a long way to help.

extremely noob question - does this set up include an HDMI out (to the TV for example)? is that built in with the processor or other part? I've never physically put a computer together (and will likely need help when i create my HTPC), so I am not sure how all of the in/out ports work.

Thanks!

The motherboard has a HDMI out for you to use.

So basically you connect a HDMI cable to your TV or AV Receiver and the motherboard's HDMI out and i3 CPU sends the video and audio through the HDMI.

That's it. Pretty easy.

If you look at the picture below at the back of the Gigabyte board that I recommended you can see the HDMI out in the middle of the third "column" of ports from the left. There is a digital SPDIF optical output above it and an eSATA port below it.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19740867

BTW I forgot to mention that the lenovo remote frequently (as in just about every month) goes on sale.

Here is the current deal...

Bummer - missed the deal. You seem to be privy to those codes. Any chance you could post here if it shows up again?

TIA!

____

Axel

#38 ·
So since im int he process and actually have a build similar to your recommendations....

How do you feel about sandy bridge? Is there a really point in switching to it vs the i3-540? obviously mobo choice would suck for the time being but basically is SB offering any real advantages to go for it over the current models?

At ~120 for the new i3's its not much of a price jump so just curious on your thoughts of SB at this point

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen /forum/post/19762632

So since im int he process and actually have a build similar to your recommendations....

How do you feel about sandy bridge? Is there a really point in switching to it vs the i3-540? obviously mobo choice would suck for the time being but basically is SB offering any real advantages to go for it over the current models?

At ~120 for the new i3's its not much of a price jump so just curious on your thoughts of SB at this point

Sandy Bridge looks to be a good option if you want (or are going to want) the following:

1. 3D playback

2. HDMI 1.4

You are most likely going to have to wait a few months to figure out what CPU and motherboards are going to be the best.

For me I don't want or need 3D playback so I am just as content with the current i3. And I don't have to wait.

#40 ·
Personally if it were me building right now, I'd try to wait 2-3 months for SB to mature just a bit, in particular Mobo's but I think SB is the way to go and not really any more expensive then current Clarkdale builds.

Just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.