AVS Forum banner

Cox Cable - whole Home DVR Cisco

225K views 904 replies 135 participants last post by  HamsterDR 
#1 ·
I thought you guys might be interested to know that Cox has started a slow release of their whole home dvr. I am in Tulsa.

Here is what I know:
  • It is a Cisco box with 500GB drive. Still dual tuner like the Motorola 3416.
  • They told me the eSata is active and supports up to 1TB.
  • The TV Guide Interface is much improved.
  • The charge is $5 more per month than the current HD DVR fee.
  • A $60 pro install is required.
  • They also require that you visit their office to get 'trained'. I was shown how to switch views and that's was really all...

I have 1 TV (I want the storage space and the new guide GUI) and they still told me they required a pro install for $60. I asked them to ask a manager if they really needed a pro install. His manager told him to tell me that they wanted to reserve these boxes for multiple TV households - so I left. For that reason and the $60 install plus $60 per year more (5x12).

Anyway, just an fyi. I am sure they install fee makes more sense if you have multiple TVs.

2 best results on google search for 'cox cable whole home'
http://www.fiercecable.com/special-r...communications
http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2010/prod_051010c.html

See less See more
#27 ·
Just got the Cisco's installed and my wife and I are enjoying the multi room recordings. The Tulsa Cox tech gave us two new remotes that look just like our old ones.

Love the custom user guide feature and the fact you can delete stations from view.

I am having a problem in getting slow forward to work. When I hit pause then fast forward it goes to 2X FF.

Also, anyone notice that after you are recording a show, you cannot go back in an edit the end times like you could in the older system.

Is this a Trio, Cisco or Cox problem?

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacew /forum/post/19752330

Also, anyone notice that after you are recording a show, you cannot go back in an edit the end times like you could in the older system.

Is this a Trio, Cisco or Cox problem?

On mine, the "Edit Record Options" is grayed out and the box on the right says, "This function is currently unavailable" .. So I guess you cant change the recording options after the show's started.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed_z06 /forum/post/19758751

On mine, the "Edit Record Options" is grayed out and the box on the right says, "This function is currently unavailable" .. So I guess you cant change the recording options after the show's started.

Since this is a new DVR UI by Cox/Frog Design/NDS, it would seem logical that they would have a forum to provide bug reports and feature requests for inevitable updates. Does anyone know of such a forum by Cox/Frog Design/NDS?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV /forum/post/19802233

Anyone aware of discrete Power on/off IR codes for these units? What about control over USB / ethernet?

The Harmony database only has Power toggle. I too would like discretes. Also would like Skip/Advance command. Don't know if this is available or not. I think earlier SA boxes could enable with Skip from a code entry. I have added a FFW/FFW/FFW/Play sequence to my Harmony but not as clean as a true Skip.

#32 ·
Cox Orange County, CA - 1/11
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia..._OC_lineup.pdf

Orange County, CA "Plus Pak"Addt'l HBOsAddt'l SHOsAddt'l StarzAddt'l Cinemax
DIY HDHBO2 East HDShowtime Showcase HDStarz Comedy HDAction Max HD
The Hub HDHBO Signature East HDTMC East HDStarz Kids & Family HDMore Max East HD
Cooking Channel HDHBO Family East HD
SWRV HDHBO Latino East HD

#33 ·
Hi All;;

Does any one in here know of a way to get into a service menu or deeper into the setup menus... i am interested in setting up Native Pass-Through on this box... but am unable to locate the proper combinations of button pushes to access any advanced menus....

On the DCX3400 box i just got rid of it was power and then menu/menu...a dn that was how i was able to setup native pass-through...

Anybody have any ideas???

Also does anyone know if there is a way to enable some sort of screen saver option?? on the old moto. boxes... when u paused a program long enough it used to shrink to a small size and randomly switch positions on the screen.... the new Cisco's just stay paused..... and i don't really care for that...

#34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb
Hi All;;

Does any one in here know of a way to get into a service menu or deeper into the setup menus... i am interested in setting up Native Pass-Through on this box... but am unable to locate the proper combinations of button pushes to access any advanced menus....

On the DCX3400 box i just got rid of it was power and then menu/menu...a dn that was how i was able to setup native pass-through...
Interested in advanced menu access for native pass-thru setting as well. I've had the boxes since Friday and am frustrated with aspect control. Any setting you set for default for 4:3 applies to all (e.g. if you set 4:3 to zoomed, then changing to 16:9 channel is zoomed by default as well). The box/software does not seem to differentiate or retain discrete zoom settings for both 4:3 and 16:9.

I have to set mine at 4:3 unconverted so the HDs will be untouched. Then use the HDZoom button. My TVs are smart enough to differentiate but apparently they are sensing 16:9 even on 4:3 programming. Maybe setting native pass-thru will allow me to utilize the TV scaling which I find superior to these boxes anyway. The 4:3 scaling to 16:9 is very poor on the Cisco boxes.

#35 ·
I have even tried getting into the setup wizard using the guide and info buttons pressed at the same time as stated on page 11 in the Cisco manual for this box... but nothing happens.

There has to be some sort of menu access..... i have tried pushing all sorts of button combinations and nothing has worked yet....

Gosh i hope someone can help us out..... i agree with OKcrew..... really need to get into Native Pass-Through.

#36 ·
I have had the host/client boxes for 10 days now and will give it a couple more weeks and give my feedback on the equipment and service...

I had to have a Cox rep out today because the Plus tier channels have bad encoding, audio lag and video distortion. They had to check and make sure it was not the equipment nor my wiring which I assured them it was not. It is a headend issue with their encoding or insertion equipment. The problem is only on the 860Mhz and above channels (those listed in the tables above).

I'll give Cox a little lea way on this as it is new to them and I guess I am an early adopter.

One problem they have already (almost) fixed is the setting for zoom of 4x3 programming was also zooming 16x9 programming by default. After the first few days with the equipment, they either sent a firmware update or they started inserting info into the programming header that resolved this issue. I said almost, because there are 3 or 4 HD 16x9 channels that still get auto zoomed.

I hope they will allow native pass-thru so my TV can do the scaling. Right now, no matter what selection you have for 4x3 programming, the box sends out 16x9 (1920x1080i) and my TV will not scale.

Even if Cox won't fix, maybe someone will figure out access to the advanced menus to enable native pass-thru.

#37 ·
Thanks for the feedback OKCrew;

Yes i hope that we find someone here who can enlighten us to the "secret" advanced menu settings so we can tweak the box till our hearts content.

I have called Cox and Cisco all with no success.... UGGG so Frustrating!!!!

Let me ask you..... have you noticed that the volume level on all channels is much lower then what we had with our old boxes?? Just as an example....in order to listen at a comfortable level now i have to have my TV set to around 30-32....where-as with the old boxes (i had everyone Cox offered) those were all at about a volume level of say 23-25 for comfortable listening. ????

The guide is still slow.. but i did notice that they did do an upgrade as you noted several days after i acquired the new boxes... not much changed on my end... but still nice to know they are doing upgrades...

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb /forum/post/19845723

Let me ask you..... have you noticed that the volume level on all channels is much lower then what we had with our old boxes?? Just as an example....in order to listen at a comfortable level now i have to have my TV set to around 30-32....where-as with the old boxes (i had everyone Cox offered) those were all at about a volume level of say 23-25 for comfortable listening. ????

I have not noticed the volume issue. My TV has a bar to display volume setting rather than values. Also, I went from component video and composite sound to HDMI and would expect there would probably be a difference.

I did hook up component to see if the channel change delay is an HDMI isssue but the timing was about the same. For this to be a flagship box for Cisco/SA, I am not impressed so far. I am hoping firmware and software updates will improve our experience.

#41 ·
AHHHH my install was delayed.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCrew /forum/post/19732375

Thanks... Yes I confused myself when posting. The CC is simply the key to unlock the subscribed programing. I have since confirmed the "new" channels in Tulsa are above 860MHz. It takes a new 1GHz capable box like the Tivo HD/Premier or the Cisco boxes to tune.

On another point, I was told by a Cox trainer that the eSATA and USB ports will be live for expansion. The ethernet will not

Well, I can tell you this: I'm in San Diego & I do have a Tivo HD & I do NOT get the new HD channels - Discovery Kids, Cooking channel , Outdoor Life & DIY - I do get them in SD but not HD.

Which I think is BS. I do pay extra for HD service and for the channels mentioned, so why can't I get the HD versions of them. Am I to understand that you have to get their STB & their DVR service in order to get these new HD channels?...is that even legal? I thought that CC's & such were mandated to avoid this kind of crap.

Is this just another example of cable cos. screwing their customers again.

BTW check out the new price list for Cox San Diego...they're going up again on 3/1 - at least the internet fees are.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraymh /forum/post/19907060

Well, I can tell you this: I'm in San Diego & I do have a Tivo HD & I do NOT get the new HD channels - Discovery Kids, Cooking channel , Outdoor Life & DIY - I do get them in SD but not HD.

Which I think is BS. I do pay extra for HD service and for the channels mentioned, so why can't I get the HD versions of them. Am I to understand that you have to get their STB & their DVR service in order to get these new HD channels?...is that even legal? I thought that CC's & such were mandated to avoid this kind of crap.

Is this just another example of cable cos. screwing their customers again.

BTW check out the new price list for Cox San Diego...they're going up again on 3/1 - at least the internet fees are.

Have you contacted TiVo to see if the TiVo HD and/or the TiVo Premiere software "Officially" supports frequencies over 860MHz and up to 1GHz?

I was told in an email from Cox Corp in Atlanta that Cox and TiVo were working together on both the Cox VOD integration and the ability for the TiVo to receive the Plus Package Channels. No time-frame was given but they said hopefully later this year.

As for the price increase call Cox to see if your market offers a 24mo Price Lock Guarantee, sign up before the increase and avoid the increase.
http://ww2.cox.com/aboutus/sandiego/...ock-24-loc.cox

#45 ·
Mine was installed this morning; 1 host and 1 client box. The tech that they sent out was super nice and very knowledgeable and when it appeared to him I was fairly knowledgeable about all of it, it put him a little more at ease.

Install took two hours, I had no line issues, but he signal checked all terminals AND also replaced two splitters, installed a filter at the drop and one behind my modem. He also told me he did some line cleanup outside that helped bring my signals in a little tighter.

The initial startup took about 15 minutes on the host box. That's cold to powerup. Subsequent cold starts (not warm starts) took significantly less time. It appears the Cisco software uses Java as displayed by the powerup splash banner (if I think about it I'll add to my Flickr set).

For those interested in seeing Trio, I snapped a few photos of it. The location is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oilerfa...7625795410935/

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCrew /forum/post/19845469

I have had the host/client boxes for 10 days now and will give it a couple more weeks and give my feedback on the equipment and service...

I had to have a Cox rep out today because the Plus tier channels have bad encoding, audio lag and video distortion. They had to check and make sure it was not the equipment nor my wiring which I assured them it was not. It is a headend issue with their encoding or insertion equipment. The problem is only on the 860Mhz and above channels (those listed in the tables above).

I'll give Cox a little lea way on this as it is new to them and I guess I am an early adopter.

One problem they have already (almost) fixed is the setting for zoom of 4x3 programming was also zooming 16x9 programming by default. After the first few days with the equipment, they either sent a firmware update or they started inserting info into the programming header that resolved this issue. I said almost, because there are 3 or 4 HD 16x9 channels that still get auto zoomed.

I hope they will allow native pass-thru so my TV can do the scaling. Right now, no matter what selection you have for 4x3 programming, the box sends out 16x9 (1920x1080i) and my TV will not scale.

Even if Cox won't fix, maybe someone will figure out access to the advanced menus to enable native pass-thru.

That lag/distortion almost sounds like some of the problems I'm having on 2 of the extra Starz channels. Not all of them do it. I'll likely be calling the installer later this week to let him know. He left me his cell number, which I thought was very professional of him.

And the only extra menu I know of is the 37 page diag menu, accessed by press the front panel power button for 4 seconds until the panel power indicator icon flashes, wait one second, then press power again.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie /forum/post/19924372

That lag/distortion almost sounds like some of the problems I'm having on 2 of the extra Starz channels. Not all of them do it.

Yep, I have only seen it on the channels above 860MHz. The tech who came out talked to the headend and they said it was known.

It has kept me from watching many shows that I would have. It seems to be more prevelant during primetime. I think they may be compressing too much.

I am going to ask for credit of the Plus package until it is resolved.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX /forum/post/19724904

The Trio IPG Multi-Room is supposed to support HDD expansion via the eSATA port. And it sort of does....The External eSATA HDD works (plays back) on the Host DVR, only, however the recordings on the Ext eSATA HDD will not play back on the Client STB.

As of Jan. 2011, no one has posted a successful playback on the client from an Ext HDD. Hopefully it is a Bug that can be fixed. Otherwise the Ext HDD is useless as everything will be recorded to the HDD with the most available space, which in most cases up to the first 500GB will be recorded onto the Ext HDD, assuming a 1TB Ext HDD. Once the Ext HDD reaches 500GB then it will swap back and forth between HDDs.

Yep- just tossed back my "no home DVR" because of this. Cox San Diego said "no software fix is forthcoming any time soon". They aren't interested. In my case, the 1642 would kill the 8642 on playback attempt. Only way to recover the 8642 was to powercycle it. Wow- this made it to the consumer market?

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eci /forum/post/19938047

Yep- just tossed back my "no home DVR" because of this. Cox San Diego said "no software fix is forthcoming any time soon". They aren't interested. In my case, the 1642 would kill the 8642 on playback attempt. Only way to recover the 8642 was to powercycle it. Wow- this made it to the consumer market?

Are you referring to playback specifically with an eSATA External HDD attached?

Or, playback to the client 1642 in general, with only the Internal HDD?

I think I could live with 500GB, but would like the option of 1.5TB.

From everything I have read out of Cox New England, I don't think I would be happy in it's current state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.