AVS Forum banner

2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz

159K views 993 replies 345 participants last post by  AvidHiker 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread is specifically to report whether or not people buying the new 2010 Samsung plasma models are experiencing the dreaded buzz or not.

PNxxC450

PNxxC550

PNxxC6500

PNxxC7000

PNxxC8000

Please report information you have from trusted sources or personal experience with these models as they come out. I had to return my B850 because of buzz. Myself and countless others want to know about these new models. Thank you.

~RomeSC

See less See more
#829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrizzy /forum/post/19733124

Great..please post how your replacement buzz sounds. From previous exchanges...seems they all will buzz to some degree and getting a new set doesn't really help much. But I'm still debating trying to do exchange (Amazon) and roll the dice for a better buzz.

Originally Amazon sent me two Samsung pn58c7000 (both with build date: March 2010). I called and got both of them exchanged. I just got both of them today and the build date was November 2010. They still buzz but much better than before. The results are: One has less buzz and one has buzz that is quieter than original. So both of them are much better than what I originally got. They were audible buzzers at 10ft. Now one is audible at 2ft and can hardly tell after that. The other one is audible at 10ft but you have to concentrate out the noise from the refrigerator and other fans. It isn't going to get any better so I'm satisfied with the exchange. It's like russian roullette but with large Plasmas.

#830 ·
The samsung pn50c490 i just got on 12/30 has a buzz =[[[[[

it is so annoying lol! and is it just me, but because of that buzz you also get imaginary buzzing inside your head too because you keep thinking about the buzz in the tv ahaha. i can hear it from 10 feet still blahh...oh well..there's no more in stock to exchange, and i might a a worst set.love the tv. HATE THE BUZZ >=/

and i do not know how to fix it and call a repair person won't don anything i think

#833 ·
I was shopping for a new plasma to replace a VT25 that I returned due to buzzing. I was walking around the showroom at a smaller TV store, which was pretty quiet, and as I was walking around the room I was surprised by how loudly a 58" Samsung C6400 was buzzing. It was clearly audible from 25 feet away. It was a May 2010 build. I'm not sure what I'm going to buy now.

The C7000 they had on display wasn't buzzing at all. I guess it is just hit or miss...

#834 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy555 /forum/post/19749739

I was shopping for a new plasma to replace a VT25 that I returned due to buzzing. I was walking around the showroom at a smaller TV store, which was pretty quiet, and as I was walking around the room I was surprised by how loudly a 58" Samsung C6400 was buzzing. It was clearly audible from 25 feet away. It was a May 2010 build. I'm not sure what I'm going to buy now.

The C7000 they had on display wasn't buzzing at all. I guess it is just hit or miss...

Wow, so you saw a 6400 and a 7000 in the same store and the 6400 was buzzing very loudly and you could not hear the 7000? This is very significant data in my opinion, because I have found that some people just can't hear the buzz due to hearing ability. Clearly you have good ears, and still found a 7000 to be quiet. Nice. So there is hope.

#836 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls /forum/post/19726379

Would coating the coils with epoxy really work? Would there be any undesirable side effects? This sounds like a viable solution, but if it were really this simple I would think Samsung would already be doing this on service calls, or producing new generation boards with this mod.

I'm not aware of any downsides to epoxy potting or why Samsung does not employ it during manufacturing or as an in-the-field fix. Panasonic apparently has such a fix (see the post below from the G25 owner's thread). Based on the anecdotal reports here and the relative post-counts of the 2009 and 2010 buzz threads, it does appear Samsung has mitigated the buzzing in this year's models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKegFlex /forum/post/19647400

The TV repairman just replaced my boards a few minutes ago to fix the buzzing. Not sure if this was covered in a previous post but the coils on the old boards have this clear coating on them, the new boards have the coils covered in this grey coating gooped all over them. TV repairman said the way they did the coil coating on the old boards is how they were done on the previous models, they have just had trouble with the G20/G25 causing the coils to vibrate with that coating. He also mentioned that Panasonic is trying to steer away from the board replacement and is already showing them what coating material to buy so they can fix the boards directly. The only problem is that the coating material requires 24 hours drying time and 2 trips for the repairman.

#837 ·
I've read a few pages about the buzz.

?did Mr. Samsung have a response here on this forum?

this would indicate good or poor customer service.

I also think that sales people are instructed to never admit the buzz even exzists I can tell when someone is lieing to me.

my pn58c500 is suposed to be delivered jan-4 if it buzz's I'll keep it for the NFL playoffs then it will be returned.

I would to prefer to keep it.

#838 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls /forum/post/19750925

Wow, so you saw a 6400 and a 7000 in the same store and the 6400 was buzzing very loudly and you could not hear the 7000? This is very significant data in my opinion, because I have found that some people just can't hear the buzz due to hearing ability. Clearly you have good ears, and still found a 7000 to be quiet. Nice. So there is hope.

The 6400 was crazy loud - from 25 or 30 feet away - i was almost impressed, but in a bad sort of way.

#839 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsilver /forum/post/19719771

Assuming that the 2011 Samsung plasma's will be announced at CES next week, any idea when they may be in retail stores?

I purchased my 58C8000 at Best Buy and tried to do an exchange due to buzzing. Their system wouldn't allow any new orders of this same set for the exchange (policy due to backorders) so the manager made a note on my purchase that they would allow me until end of February to do an exchange, to allow time for the set to become available.

A side question I have is...is the UN55C8000 LED/LCD that bad compared to the plasma? I realize it's all personal preference but I chose the plasma due to the great PQ reviews. But at times, I feel like I'm not enjoying my TV to the fullest extent due to IR/burn in fears. When I see a static logo or ticker, I change the channel. I'm constantly changing the zoom levels so that there are no side bars. I cut my gaming sessions short. Etc... I would love some opinions.

I have the 8000 LED and it loses pic quality drastically when moving a hair off of dead ctr. THEY ARE TERRIBLE FOR VEIWING FROM OTHER THAN DEAD ON CTR. Also, my opinion is edge lighting is TERRIBLE. I am getting a plasma today. I hate the LED so bad I'm taking a loss (only 5mths old) and going w/taking a chance w/a Sammy 7000 or 8000 plasma. I will be ck'ing for buzz.

#841 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bill /forum/post/19766786

Speaking of checking for buzz, has anyone gotten one the quiet non-buzzers only to have the buzz manifest later???

Mine was quiet the first day, then it started buzzing. But now, after more than 6 months of having it, it buzzes less but still does and I can hear it every time I sit right in front of it, at 13.5 ft.

#842 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bill /forum/post/19766786

Speaking of checking for buzz, has anyone gotten one of the quiet "non-buzzers" only to have the buzz manifest later???

Yeah. Mine was perfectly silent at first but after 10 days or so it became louder. Thankfully I have the TV positioned in such a way that I can't hear it while seated, but when I am walking through the room it is pretty damn annoying.

The picture is just so amazing though, I'll have to put up with the buzz.

#845 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrowning27 /forum/post/19767018

Yeah. Mine was perfectly silent at first but after 10 days or so it became louder. Thankfully I have the TV positioned in such a way that I can't hear it while seated, but when I am walking through the room it is pretty damn annoying.

The picture is just so amazing though, I'll have to put up with the buzz.

So all the folks that say I got lucky my doesn't buzz may be in for it anyway

Mine will be in at the end of the mth, I will have 45 days to listen and return it if it does.

(I'm hoping since all of the BB's around here are sold out that maybe what's coming in will be a fresh batch).

How is it positioned? Wall mounted? That's how mine will be (a little higher than seated position)

#847 ·
Just add to this long list...

I got a Samsung PN63C8000 a few weeks ago. It is a Nov 2010 build. I have never had a plasma. My previous TV was a Sony XBR LCD. I was nervous about the buzzing based on all of the stories on sites like this. Frankly, I did not even know what plasma buzz sounded like. I looked at one at BB and could not hear any buzz over the ambient noise but again, I did not really even know what to listen for. I took the risk and bought the Sammy.

I absolutely love the TV, especially the picture, but I must say that I now know what plasma buzz is. I am not sure buzz is the right word as it is a very high frequency sound and therefore very directional. My wife can't hear it at all. My 9 year old sons hear it perfectly. I am personally very sensitive to high frequency sounds. For example, I can clearly hear the noise making devices that drive off deer and other pests. They drive me nuts!

I am pretty sure that on day one, I had no buzz whatsoever. Then suddenly on day two I started to hear it. Actually later that day, I was playing with the TV with the sound off and my son walked in the room and said "what's that noise?" from about 15' away with no prompting at all.

I have the TV stand mounted and viewing position is about 14' with the center of the TV right about head level or slightly higher. I can hear the sound when the volume is medium to low and during quiet scenes from that position. I would personally define it as overly loud. Is it normal or am I just overly sensitive? I don't have enough experience to answer that.

It does bother me but I am not sure if I am ready to make a stink about it. Because of where I purchased it, I know I could easily get a replacement. But what is the chance that that one will be better? What if it is worse? I am not sure I want to go down that road or if it worth the hassle. At this point I think I am just going to deal with it. The picture really does rock...

#849 ·
I have had a very similar experience. I have the Samsung PN58C6500, and I would swear up and down it is dead silent. No buzz at all even if I put my head up close to the screen. But my sons can hear it from 20 feet away, even when the sound is on!!!

My hearing is not that bad. I can hear the fan in my hddvd player, and it annoys me at times. My son says, "Dad, the Samsung buzz is like ten times as loud as that fan noise."

My theory: Every one of these TVs buzzes, but not everyone can hear this particular frequency. This explains why some report theirs has no buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb526 /forum/post/19775177

Just add to this long list...

I got a Samsung PN63C8000 a few weeks ago. It is a Nov 2010 build. I have never had a plasma. My previous TV was a Sony XBR LCD. I was nervous about the buzzing based on all of the stories on sites like this. Frankly, I did not even know what plasma buzz sounded like. I looked at one at BB and could not hear any buzz over the ambient noise but again, I did not really even know what to listen for. I took the risk and bought the Sammy.

I absolutely love the TV, especially the picture, but I must say that I now know what plasma buzz is. I am not sure buzz is the right word as it is a very high frequency sound and therefore very directional. My wife can't hear it at all. My 9 year old sons hear it perfectly. I am personally very sensitive to high frequency sounds. For example, I can clearly hear the noise making devices that drive off deer and other pests. They drive me nuts!

I am pretty sure that on day one, I had no buzz whatsoever. Then suddenly on day two I started to hear it. Actually later that day, I was playing with the TV with the sound off and my son walked in the room and said "what's that noise?" from about 15' away with no prompting at all.

I have the TV stand mounted and viewing position is about 14' with the center of the TV right about head level or slightly higher. I can hear the sound when the volume is medium to low and during quiet scenes from that position. I would personally define it as overly loud. Is it normal or am I just overly sensitive? I don't have enough experience to answer that.

It does bother me but I am not sure if I am ready to make a stink about it. Because of where I purchased it, I know I could easily get a replacement. But what is the chance that that one will be better? What if it is worse? I am not sure I want to go down that road or if it worth the hassle. At this point I think I am just going to deal with it. The picture really does rock...

#850 ·
So the guys at a high end electronics store here said the Samsungs are only rated at ~4500ft elevation, so they dont carry them because theyll buzz. The Panasonics are guaranteed at ~9000 something feet. The city I live in is 7000ft and mine has a buzz.

Seems like an awfully stupid business decision to make a mainstream TV only guaranteed at 4500ft or lower.

#851 ·
if you have good hearing, every one of these sets has a buzz.

if you don't have good hearing, you can't hear the buzz.

I guess I'll just buy a panasonic plasma. I sort of wish these samsungs didn't buzz, because they are a great value.

Directional, skull-numbing, high-pitch, almost electronic sounding noise, BUZZ. The screen focuses it into your head like a laser beam. Unreal. The people testing these TV's during R&D don't have good enough hearing. 60dB buzz at 15ft is completely unacceptable!

#852 ·
Samsung says you should not be able to hear it at 15 feet with the volume set to "15". But, obviously, most of us can still hear it at this range/volume level.

They *should* work with you if you call out a technician. But nobody has found a long-term solution using this method.

I ended up cancelling my 2nd visit from a technician because I didn't want to deal with taking it off the wall. Frankly, if you have this mounted above eye level, you don't have a problem watching it. Walking through the room (as previously noted) can sometimes be annoying though.

#853 ·
Where did you get the 60dB quote from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool1075 /forum/post/19777555

if you have good hearing, every one of these sets has a buzz.

if you don't have good hearing, you can't hear the buzz.

I guess I'll just buy a panasonic plasma. I sort of wish these samsungs didn't buzz, because they are a great value.

Directional, skull-numbing, high-pitch, almost electronic sounding noise, BUZZ. The screen focuses it into your head like a laser beam. Unreal. The people testing these TV's during R&D don't have good enough hearing. 60dB buzz at 15ft is completely unacceptable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.