AVS Forum banner

2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz

159K views 993 replies 345 participants last post by  AvidHiker 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread is specifically to report whether or not people buying the new 2010 Samsung plasma models are experiencing the dreaded buzz or not.

PNxxC450

PNxxC550

PNxxC6500

PNxxC7000

PNxxC8000

Please report information you have from trusted sources or personal experience with these models as they come out. I had to return my B850 because of buzz. Myself and countless others want to know about these new models. Thank you.

~RomeSC

See less See more
#854 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb526 /forum/post/19775177

I got a Samsung PN63C8000 a few weeks ago.

It does bother me but I am not sure if I am ready to make a stink about it. Because of where I purchased it, I know I could easily get a replacement. But what is the chance that that one will be better? What if it is worse? I am not sure I want to go down that road or if it worth the hassle. At this point I think I am just going to deal with it. The picture really does rock...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusjustin /forum/post/19775417

New PN58C8000 here with the directional buzz. I can only hear it at an annoying level when I'm in front of the set and more than 15 feet back. Is the set defective if the buzz is directional like this, or is this just how Samsung does normal plasma buzz?

My 2 cents, FWIW:

I'd return them and get something that makes you happy... These TVs are in no way cheap so they should be darn near perfect for this much money.

You might try the Panasonic VT25 (others here have had good luck with those) or if you can get your money back wait for the 2011 Samsung's and see if the early adopters here start a "2011 Samsung Plasma Buzz" thread.

I went with a PN50C8000 which buzzed way less than my returned PN58C8000, but the 50" still buzzes so if the noise bothers you a lot this isn't going to fix it. The resolution of both are the same, but 8" is a lot of size to lose. (I wasn't happy with the higher on the wall mount option that others have mentioned... It didn't look good in our room.)

#855 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 /forum/post/19778537

My 2 cents, FWIW:

I'd return them and get something that makes you happy... These TVs are in no way cheap so they should be darn near perfect for this much money.

You might try the Panasonic VT25 (others here have had good luck with those) or if you can get your money back wait for the 2011 Samsung's and see if the early adopters here start a "2011 Samsung Plasma Buzz" thread.

I went with a PN50C8000 which buzzed way less than my returned PN58C8000, but the 50" still buzzes so if the noise bothers you a lot this isn't going to fix it. The resolution of both are the same, but 8" is a lot of size to lose. (I wasn't happy with the higher on the wall mount option that others have mentioned... It didn't look good in our room.)

So the 2011's come out when???

#856 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bill /forum/post/19779251

So the 2011's come out when???

They were just announced yesterday at CES... Lots of info out there on them. They say they will be released in the "near future"...
Probably in a few months to give them time to clear out the current models...

EDIT: This thread is saying "spring", but they say they'll update as they get more info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1304494

#857 ·
I own a PN50C450 unit. When I turn it on, I can hear a noticeable modest buzz. Its quite annoying I have to turn up the volume to mask the buzz. I consider a "buzzing" TV abnormal. I haven't complained to Samsung yet. I have been in and out of town. Samsung needs to do something to correct the buzzing issue

#859 ·
For those of you newer members wondering if it's the slim design or if Samsung will do anything to help, please read my long post at the end of Page 27.

Now that I've owned a VT25 for a couple weeks, it too does "buzz", but you can really only hear it when it's displaying something very bright, effectively corresponding to the power draw. CRTs are very similar. The Samsung is odd as it is just as loud when the screen is showing black (but still on) as it is 100% white. And even at the VT25's loudest buzz, it's still quieter and less harsh than the Samsung.

I've also noticed the VT25 has a lot less flickering than the PNC8000. I know this is normal for plasmas, but I can now say definitively that the Samsung's is worse. The flickering was very obvious during shows like The Office, where the walls in the background would flicker considerably in a lot of scenes. Haven't noticed it nearly as much with the VT25.

But this made me think that the Samsung might also have a general under-power issue. Or their components are underrated for the task. There are plenty of electronic devices that will buzz and/or flicker if not sufficiently powered.

I'm really curious to see if there's any improvement in the 2011 models. This issue is now extremely well documented. And even the CNET review was updated to acknowledge the issue, although he states that their model didn't buzz more than any other typical plasma - perhaps they had a non-buzzer or a more forgiving testing environment. But at least the high profile reviewers will be on the lookout for the issue in the new models.

I also have a feeling Samsung is ignoring the issue since a large portion of their consumers (i.e. people over 50) simply cannot hear the buzzing or don't have an on-center viewing position. But I'll laugh if there's some sort of age discrimination element added to the inevitable class-action suit over these TVs.

#860 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_teduardo /forum/post/19781308

...I'm really curious to see if there's any improvement in the 2011 models. This issue is now extremely well documented. And even the CNET review was updated to acknowledge the issue, although he states that their model didn't buzz more than any other typical plasma - perhaps they had a non-buzzer or a more forgiving testing environment. But at least the high profile reviewers will be on the lookout for the issue in the new models.

Assuming they got a normal set, my theory is that the CNET reviewer didn't hear the buzz because they were using the PN50C8000 as the review sample. (see below) And that because of something about the 50" size it won't buzz nearly as much as the larger sets that most people here have issues with.

I have no idea where the inductor coils are on the 50", but there is something about the small set that makes the buzzing much less than my 58" was. (Maybe the coil location or panel size or less stress on components?) I've compared 2 different 50" C8000's to 2 different 58" C8000's also with similar buzzing results. The 50" gives the normal plasma "buzz" on bright white screens, but step 10-15 ft away and you hear almost no directional buzz on black... The 58" buzz on the other hand was clearly audible from 15 ft away on black.

From CNET (page 2) :
Quote:
Update October 19, 2010:

In addition, we made an unrelated update to the bright lighting section to include a comparison to the Samsung PNC7000. It's also worth noting that, unlike some readers, we didn't experience any unusual buzzing sound on our PN50C8000 review sample. It was quieter, all things being equal, than the Panasonic TC-P50G20, for example.

The good news is that CNET and others are going to check for this in 2011 too I bet since they got so many comments in 2010... So hopefully Samsung isn't able to get away with the "your buzz is normal" again...

#861 ·
A wk ago, I bought an 8000 Sammy plasma and had delivery set for end of mth (BB said they couldn't ship till then). Since then the website has changed and will not allow you to purchase one (says out of stk and/or cannot ship to store). Just to see, I ck'd the 7000 series and they are no longer available on line but limited to store stk (none of the stores have the 8000's). The other models 550's & 680's are available both ways. I wonder w/the 2010 problems and 11's around the corner they (Samsung) just pulled the rest. Not sure where that leaves me from a $$ perspective

#863 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 /forum/post/19783000

I have no idea where the inductor coils are on the 50", but there is something about the small set that makes the buzzing much less than my 58" was. (Maybe the coil location or panel size or less stress on components?) I've compared 2 different 50" C8000's to 2 different 58" C8000's also with similar buzzing results. The 50" gives the normal plasma "buzz" on bright white screens, but step 10-15 ft away and you hear almost no directional buzz on black... The 58" buzz on the other hand was clearly audible from 15 ft away on black.

I've had a 58C7000 for about 2 weeks. mostly just breaking in the slides. and wondering if I can deal w this buzz!!! Just moved the TV into proper position from my couch (about 12-14 feet) and the buzzzzzz is pretty noticeable at most volumes.

I love the PQ.. TV looks awesome, but the buzz! And since some have said the 50" is much less buzz... maybe this does suggest it's a power issue? assuming all the same components, coils, etc... maybe the power components are not spec'd well for the 58" size. who knows, but I don't want this buzz. Since they already say the buzz should be fixed on 2011 models. I'm leaning towards sending this 58" back and waiting till end of 2011 to get good price on these new units. but would rather not...arghghgh

#865 ·
Ok I bought a PN63C8000 at the end of December. BB (G' Squad) delivered & installed (on the wall) on 12/31. I love the PQ on this set & I only did some misc calibration using the Spears & Musil disc.

Both my wife & I can clearly hear the buzz since it was installed. & we sit 14 feet away from the TV mounted on the wall. Yes I can mask it with a higher volume setting on a TV show or Blu-ray movie but you can hear it in the background on low (& sometimes medium) volume. It is definitely directional & not always heard in the same spots. The buzzing volume seems to be variable at times. Sometimes I can clearly hear & other times hardly at all. I had the installer come back to validate no issues with the install & they said install was fine & they too could also hear the buzz.

I have been into three different BB stores to listen to the same model (63 & 58 inches) with some on the wall & some on the stand - No buzzing at all on the in store models with one exception - open box PN58C8000 on a stand but in that case I could only hear buzzing if my ear was to the back right side of the unit where some of the holes are sitting at the top to vent the TV unit. No buzzing sound from the front of the TV. I went into one of the separate rooms where you could shut the door & turn the sound off on all the TV's in that room. The PN63C8000 (on it's TV stand) was whisper quiet playing all sorts of blu-ray material (dark/white/etc.) I could only hear normal electrical humming when I had my ear to the back of this unit & nothing once I was in the front of the TV (6 inches to 14 feet out).

The TV repair folks from BB (G'Squad) will be coming out on Tuesday (1/11) to check my set (PN63C8000) to see if we can get rid of the buzz. The repair guys (over the phone) said they were coming out with replacement power supplies because they said that is the most common cause they see with buzzing issue. I have my fingers crossed (hope springs eternal).

#866 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecstratton /forum/post/19805383

The repair guys (over the phone) said they were coming out with replacement power supplies because they said that is the most common cause they see with buzzing issue

This is doubtful. I watched the Samsung rep change out my power supply and it did nothing. Besides that power unit is in the center and the buzzing really seems to be coming from the sides on the X/Y video boards, particularly from the coils. This is what you can hear when you hold your head to the back near the corners.

And there's just too much ambient noise in BB to do an accurate buzz test, even in the isolation rooms. I've tried several times to hear the buzz in several BB stores and at Frys and you simply cannot hear it. And there's no way that all those floor samples just happen to be non-buzzers. I've heard the buzz in smaller, quieter stores on several Samsung models.

I'd suggest having a backup model in mind so you can use your 30-day return at Best Buy.

While they have your TV opened up, see if they'll let you listen to the coils and let us know if you agree that's where the sound is emanating. If so it might be a cool experiment to see if you can silence the coils by putting a finger on it (with gloves on so you don't get electrocuted) to stop them from vibrating. Perhaps then they could come up with a creative solution to stop the buzzing.

#867 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_teduardo /forum/post/19806556

This is doubtful. I watched the Samsung rep change out my power supply and it did nothing. Besides that power unit is in the center and the buzzing really seems to be coming from the sides on the X/Y video boards, particularly from the coils. This is what you can hear when you hold your head to the back near the corners.

And there's just too much ambient noise in BB to do an accurate buzz test, even in the isolation rooms. I've tried several times to hear the buzz in several BB stores and at Frys and you simply cannot hear it. And there's no way that all those floor samples just happen to be non-buzzers. I've heard the buzz in smaller, quieter stores on several Samsung models.

I'd suggest having a backup model in mind so you can use your 30-day return at Best Buy.

While they have your TV opened up, see if they'll let you listen to the coils and let us know if you agree that's where the sound is emanating. If so it might be a cool experiment to see if you can silence the coils by putting a finger on it (with gloves on so you don't get electrocuted) to stop them from vibrating. Perhaps then they could come up with a creative solution to stop the buzzing.

I did open mine up and listen. The buzz comes from the upper right board (especially the small coil), and the left board. The center board is completely quiet.

#868 ·
I had my pn63c8000 serviced yesterday for buzzing and other issues. Right off the bat the tech told me the buzzing was in spec. I can easily hear the buzz from more than 20' away over normal volume levels. When he took the back panel off he found a blown capacitor on the Y board. He swapped it out, but it made no difference in the buzzing. It sounds to me like we are going to have live with the buzzing or get a different tv. I don't know about anybody else but my wife will kill me for so much as mentioning a new tv.

The second issue I had was line bleeding. The tech could see it, but wasn't hopeful in being able to fix it. He said in his experience replacing components and even panels won't fix the problem. So it looks like we have to live with this one too.

The third issue was orange smearing while watching 3d. When watching 3d blu-rays there are bands of orange all over the faces of characters. This one really stumped him. He replaced every board on the back of the tv except the power supply, and nothing fixed it. While the movie was paused he showed me a couple of other issues. There were stray red pixels everywhere that should have been black. Also, it had what he called a waterfall effect. While paused you could see the pixels moving. He called Samsung and they authorized a replacement panel.

This replacement panel makes me very nervous. I hope they don't give me a refurbished panel. The last thing I want to do is trade my problems for somebody else's.

#869 ·
Thought I would chime in. 1st set buzzed loudly directionally in the sweet spot.

Got a replacement and it buzzes too.

I test both sets on the oem stands and then wall mounted. Mounted of course the buzz is stronger due to acoutis re-direction. Luckily since my wall mount tilts, I can tile the tv upwards slightly towards the ceiling so that the tv is at about a 15 deg angle from the wall and the buzz, at least directionally to the sweet spot, is minimized. I could not do this with the first TV, which leaves me to believe something different is causing the buzz on the replacement set. Either way I am happy and am keeping the replacement.

a thought based off my experience, there should be acoustic fixes for folks out there to correct directional buzzing. These tvs should not create laser beams of sound unless the wall is a certain distance/angle behind the tv and specifcally the component inside the tv that causes the buzzing. if we locate the buzzing component you should be able to insulate the space behind the tv to absorb or redirect the buzzing.

i am going to play around with some sound dampening material i have left over from some car experiments.

#870 ·
Just traded in my 60" LG PX950 for the Samsung C8000. The black levels on the C8000 is much better but, admittedly, the LG trumps the Samsung in color.

Anyway, I've had it for a little over a week now and I don't hear the buzz in front of the TV. Only when I stick my ear in the back towards the right speaker. Really, though, I'm just nitpicking at this point. But I remember that my CRT TV did a little bit of that too.

I live in Long Beach, CA so I am at sea-level. That might be a reason.

I'm going to keep a close eye on this buzz for the 30 days duration Best Buy gives me under their return policy. I also noticed that the VT25 went down in price in anticipation of the 2011 panels. I haven't ruled out the Panny yet.

#871 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_teduardo /forum/post/19806556

Besides that power unit is in the center and the buzzing really seems to be coming from the sides on the X/Y video boards, particularly from the coils. This is what you can hear when you hold your head to the back near the corners.

On my PN63C8000 I hear the various sounds coming from the back/sides but for me, the problem sound (the high frequency buzz) seems to originate from the front about 2/3 from the bottom just slightly right of center when looking from the front. When I listen very closely from the front (ear 1-3" away) the sound is very localized to this spot.

Looking forward to updates... It would be great if one of the many repairs listed here actually works! Everything else about this TV is perfect for me...

#872 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb526 /forum/post/19808099

On my PN63C8000 I hear the various sounds coming from the back/sides but for me, the problem sound (the high frequency buzz) seems to originate from the front about 2/3 from the bottom just slightly right of center when looking from the front. When I listen very closely from the front (ear 1-3" away) the sound is very localized to this spot.

Looking forward to updates... It would be great if one of the many repairs listed here actually works! Everything else about this TV is perfect for me...

The fix is to put the circuit boards in the basement and just run the wires upstairs to the panel ;-) Oh, and this makes it thinner too because you can leave the back off.

#874 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusjustin /forum/post/19809198

Can anyone else corroborate the post that said the panel buzzing diminished somewhat over time? My C8000 is buzzing from ~15-17' away, and I'd love for the buzz to diminish just a little. Is this going to happen?

From the posts in this thread, diminishing buzz is extremely rare. (I remember maybe 1 or 2 people mentioning this. And I think it was more of a "I think it is buzzing less". Might search thru this thread to see.)

Based upon el_teduardo's awesome research , I don't think anything is going to physically cause it to get better... (Maybe extreme dust / gunk / tar build up in the coils?)

I think most people "diminished" their buzz by getting a Panny VT25 or a different TV all together.
One or maybe two swapped and said the newer manufactured version buzzed less, but I wouldn't rely on that since many more people have swapped multiple times with the exact same buzz. (Or do what I did, went with a 50". 'course I think I am the only person who has posted / admitted downsizing from 58" to 50".)

#875 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17
From the posts in this thread, diminishing buzz is extremely rare. (I remember maybe 1 or 2 people mentioning this. And I think it was more of a "I think it is buzzing less". Might search thru this thread to see.)

Based upon el_teduardo's awesome research , I don't think anything is going to physically cause it to get better... (Maybe extreme dust / gunk / tar build up in the coils?)

I think most people "diminished" their buzz by getting a Panny VT25 or a different TV all together.
One or maybe two swapped and said the newer manufactured version buzzed less, but I wouldn't rely on that since many more people have swapped multiple times with the exact same buzz. (Or do what I did, went with a 50". 'course I think I am the only person who has posted / admitted downsizing from 58" to 50".)
the buzzing is less heard in the 50's?

#876 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw /forum/post/19811757

the buzzing is less heard in the 50's?

From my experience (2 - 58" and 2 - 50" C8000's, 2 in my house and 2 at other peoples places.) AND many of the posts on this thread, yes.

You'll see that most of the buzzers that people post about are 58" and 63" versions. (You'll see a couple 50" buzzers but not nearly as many...)

The 50" buzzes, just way less than the 58" sets I listened to... It's much harder to hear from over 10 ft for sure. You get about the same amount of omni-directional buzz from close distances as the 58" under 5 ft, just way less directional over 10 ft.

'course all this isn't enough data to statistically prove anything. Some of this could be because more people buy 58"/63" vs 50" too. But it "worked for me" (tm).

(Searching back in this thread on some of my original posts you'll see my research and theories on why when I did the swap.)

#877 ·
My first 58C6500 buzzed, so Amazon sent a replacement. The replacement arrived with a cracked screen. Plugged it in anyway just to see what gives. It turns out that having a cracked screen makes the buzz like ten time louder. Possibly the cracked panel is drawing an overload of current causing the circuits that are just barely adequate to power the good panel to be further stressed. So whatever it is that buzzes buzzes even more if you crack the screen. Just a science experiment.

They're sending a third.

#878 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls /forum/post/19812749

So whatever it is that buzzes buzzes even more if you crack the screen. Just a science experiment.

Actually, no.

If you have a cracked panel on any plasma TV. If it's not totally dead due to the crack and won't power up at all, and it instead it still tries to work, then they all will buzz like crazy. A cracked panel buzzing severely, is not something that is only unique to Samsung or any other brand of plasma TV. When cracked, they all usually do it if you try and turn them on when damaged like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.