AVS Forum banner

Vizio M550NV

63K views 158 replies 58 participants last post by  venky80 
#1 ·
The Vizio VF552XVT got pretty good reviews over at cnet but the design is pretty fugly. I saw the M550NV over at Wal-Mart and it is far more attractive. I'm considering the LG LE5500 as well, but have been reading mixed reviews about the local dimming and the purple bezel is a little odd.

I have been looking for reviews of the Vizio M550NV but have come up pretty empty since it's so new -- does anyone have any thoughts? The thin design is a big plus and there is a lot of natural light in the room (so matte or semi-matte is a requirement). We need a fairly wide viewing angle as well.

Thoughts?

#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftboomer /forum/post/19788589

Just turned on the M550NV and got the update version:

C3.2.3.3-MF-MP Dec 30,2010

Re-booted and we are up and running.

I see Blockbuster has streaming movies for $3.99. Any idea of the quality? 720P or 1080P?

What about Hulu?

System seems kinda sluggish now though.. Scrolling the menu seems sluggish. I'll delete some apps and see what happens.

*edit* - System seems fine now. Must have just been the software settling.

I got the update yesterday too.

New Logo

New Apps

Also one of the most interesting features is they added HDMI-CEC support to the TV. However now my tv seems to want to control the audio instead of my receiver. Even if I turn off the CEC. very frustrating.

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 /forum/post/19789758

I got the update yesterday too.

New Logo

New Apps

Also one of the most interesting features is they added HDMI-CEC support to the TV. However now my tv seems to want to control the audio instead of my receiver. Even if I turn off the CEC. very frustrating.

I just had the same issue, when i turned on CEC, and turned on CEC on my Sony Amp. The TV decided to turn off the audio.

I turned of CEC on everything, powered down the amp, and everything now works as it did.

Guess I really don't need the CEC.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactor153 /forum/post/19792749

I just had the same issue, when i turned on CEC, and turned on CEC on my Sony Amp. The TV decided to turn off the audio.

I turned of CEC on everything, powered down the amp, and everything now works as it did.

Guess I really don't need the CEC.

My issue was that even when I turned off cec the tv still wanted to control the audio.

My setup was xbox 360 over component to denon avr 591 over hdmi to the m550 nv. No matter what I did the tv would mute the audio.

I somehow fixed it by resetting the tv to factory settings and power cycling all other components.

#107 ·
I could not be more happy with my Vizio M550NV. I like that the USB ports function now. I have mine hooked up to a Marantz NR1601. The game play with my PS3 is perfect online or regular. I have not had any issues with reboot or lag or anything. I have not had to change the picture setting much. I keep all the advanced setting's off except smart dimming and smooth motion. Bumped up contrast just a little. I change the back light up and down depending on the time of day. Other than that I can't find anything that really makes the picture that much better. I keep mine on movie setting and color temp normal. I think custom is to bright. I don't understand why some crank up the contrast so much? I have not found to many picture settings that people have posted that are better than out of the box. If anybody has them please post them I am curious. Sorry for such a long post. Don't hear to much on this tv here.

#108 ·
Has anyone been able to use the USB ports to watch video with this latest update? I've been trying, without luck so far. It seems that only USB ports 2 and 3 are active on my TV. When I plug in a USB key, it recognizes it, but gives default folders for Music and Photos and that is all. I've only tried MPG2 videos so far...

#113 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by busaman79
I bought my tv in october and a month after having it the remote stoped working. So I called Vizio t.s. and they talked me through entering the service menu codes to reset the tv and the remote worked fine then. Since then I just bought a harmony 700 and it works pretty well.
i PICKED UP THE hARMONY oNE A FEW DAYS AGO AND AM STILL TWEAKING SOME OF THE MORE ADVANCED SETTING. pRETTY NICE REMOTE NOW.

Oopps, sorry for the caps, too lazy to go back and re-type it.

#117 ·
I bought a LG 55LE5400 a few weeks ago at wallyworld because the pq in the store looked great but when I got it home and set up I was very disappointed. Serious flash lighting around the edges and it had terrible lip sync problems.

I boxed it up and returned it and decided to take a chance on this M550NV, I'm glad I did, after it was in my home and set up the pq was amazing paired with Dish Network. Blu-Ray Avatar on my PS3 floored me, streaming HD from the net is flawless with the built in Wi-Fi, I assumed I would have negative results with wireless, I was SO wrong.

Set-up was a breeze and it detected and updated the firmware within minuets. Some of the apps are pretty useful, the rest I deleted.

The one thing I hope they incorporate is the ability to play divx / mkv files from the USB ports.

All in all this Vizio is a total homerun.

#118 ·
Great TV for the price. There are a few things that I do not like about the set. I am of the opinion that there is too much of an edge around the TV. It is around 3-4" in some places. The other thing I do not like about this TV is that there is no just scan mode, and you have to manually change zoom to make a 4:3 picture fit the entire screen. Maybe there is a way to make it automatically adjust, but I have not found out how yet if it is possible. Overall though, the picture is incredible for the price and there is little input lag from my Xbox 360.

#119 ·
I lucked out, no edge light bleeding. No rebooting and no HDMI prob's. The usb's are handy but come on, hook it up to a Ps3 or stand alone Blu Ray player and be happy. I bought my Vizio to watch Blu Ray's and play games, for all the other crap I will use my computer. Some Vizio's might have their issues but read through all the different posts and threads. I'm glad I didn't buy an over priced Samsung with 100 different picture problems or some other issue. All I see on AVS is my Samsung this my Samsung that. I will take my M550nv any day and have money left over to put towards some more HT gear.

#120 ·
Hey Guys...

I bought this TV a few days ago after finally, after 1 year+ of bugging my wife, convinced her to let me upgrade =) I LOVE it so far. I've come from a old 46" DLP, so honestly, the out of box settings blew me away. I guess I will try some of the settings mentioned above and see if it gets even better.

We watch HD Cable and I play .mkv off of my bluray player and a 1tb external usb HD plugged into the blu ray. Now your telling me I can plug my USBHD directly into the TV and it will play my MKV? How is that even possible, how does it process them? Has anyone got this to work?

#121 ·
All,

So far I had been having issue my Vizio M550NV. First order it was the Bluetooth VUR10 remote not pairing. Got a new replacement from Amazon.com that the remote now works with the HDTV but now I am having issues with my PS3 thru the HDMI ports. At first I thought it was the HDMI cable but I switch with different HDMI cables and tried all the ports and it was cause the same issue with the screen showing white and blue horizontal lines and bad picture quality. It would stay like this for about 30 second to a 1 minutes before it goes away and everything is fine again.

I know it is not the HDMI ports because I test it out with my DVD player that also uses HDMI cables. I don't think it is my PS3 as it been fine before. I am thinking it is caused by the HDTV not recognizing the PS3 Hz or the resolution rates.

I will post a picture when I got the time of this issue. Anyone have similar issues with their PS3 with this model? I will test it out another week before calling Amazon.com for another exchange. I hate to do this to them a third time but if it is broken and firmware can't fix it I would like to get a new one without issues before the 30 day are up.

Master-Q

#123 ·
Mine only does it when the TV is cold. PS3 connected to Marantz NR1601 with HDMI and then HDMI to TV. Does it for about a minute than fine. I have had mine for a few months and that is my only issue. Other than that I love it. Cant find anyone with good calibration settings. At least nothing better than out of the box.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaman79 /forum/post/19984609

Mine only does it when the TV is cold. PS3 connected to Marantz NR1601 with HDMI and then HDMI to TV. Does it for about a minute than fine. I have had mine for a few months and that is my only issue. Other than that I love it. Cant find anyone with good calibration settings. At least nothing better than out of the box.

Thanks for your responds. I am suppose to get a replacement a third time. I hope I don't have this issue anymore. If I do I will get Vizio to fix it. I am sick and tire Amazon have to pay for the shipment.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdale95 /forum/post/20015360

I have recently bought a Vizio M550nv led TV. It supports WiFi but i cannot connect to my router. I am running a Netgear N300 router...here's the kicker...i can see my network..and i can connect to the neighbors network but i cannot connect to my own?? anyone with any ideas please help!

I did check your Netgear N300 model and it runs Wireless -N and the M550NV also support and runs WiFi 802.11n. Could you have MAC filtering turned on your router? On my it is setup that way to improve security.

I got my third replacment M550NV and everything is finally working on this new delivery. I am very content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.