AVS Forum banner
253K views 2K replies 216 participants last post by  yesrushdt 
#1 ·
#52 ·
Another "variable" is that the wattage of bulbs is not always correlated absolutely with light output. Within the same bulb type, higher wattage bulbs will produce more light, but there are light sources that may be lower in wattage but produce more light. They are more efficient.

Some of what appears from the videos to be a brighter picture may be due to the new screen design, but I'd be surprised if Mits is using the sane 150/180 watt bulb. I might be wrong, of course. In any event, this 92 inch set looks exciting.

#53 ·
on thing that people whom are discussing the brightness of the larger sizes always seem to miss:

the out-of-box settings are intended to be used in stores. not in your home.

every person I know that has a mits dlp is using natual mode, not brilliant.

once you put that 82" in your home it looks fantasitic.

#54 ·
I would like to know how many ft lamberts this beast makes when fully calibrated with no clipping. If the 92" could make 26 ft lamberts with a thousand hours on the lamp it will be a winner.

We shall see in due time just how much better this set will be. I have become quite fond of my 2009 82", but I don't believe that would be true if I did not have and Iscan Duo VP for color management. No question, that 2009 is challenged in normal daytime ambient light. I won't kid anyone that I think it makes enough light.

The potential is there for the WD-92840 to be the heart of a tremendous home theater and I hope Mits spent some time optimizing it. The 2009 82" has plenty of warts, the 2010s are better, so I hope this new animal was done right and we see at least as much improvement as 2010 brought over 2009 without all the funky HDMI issues some 2010 owners went through.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/19790809

I would like to know how many ft lamberts this beast makes when fully calibrated with no clipping. If the 92" could make 26 ft lamberts with a thousand hours on the lamp it will be a winner.

We shall see in due time just how much better this set will be. I have become quite fond of my 2009 82", but I don't believe that would be true if I did not have and Iscan Duo VP for color management. No question, that 2009 is challenged in normal daytime ambient light. I won't kid anyone that I think it makes enough light.

As you can tell from previous posts, I agree with you about brightness. I saw the 82 in five different environments (1 2009 82, and 4 2010 82s), and always wanted more light. If you're in the sweet spot, vertically and horizontally, the picture's great. But it's "challenged" as you say.

I wonder if the Clear Contrast screen is some variant of this kind of screen:
http://www.i4u.com/13701/woehburk-cr...ection-screens

Obviously, if you increase transmittance of light you get a brighter picture, and improved screen technology might benefit off axis viewing. In one of the Youtubes I posted, the camera moves considerably off the horizontal axis, and the picture remains bright and contrasty.

Here's hoping...

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 /forum/post/19792317

According to this the 92 inch model uses a glossy screen to boost contrast:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2011...sa92inch3dtv_1

"Unlike smaller televisions that use a matte screen, Mitsubishi has gone glossy in the 92-inch set, which DeMartin said boosts contrast at an added cost."

Is the added cost money or reflections or both?

I'm still considering this HDTV. It came out of left field for me but the 92" figure has really turned my head.

Surely this set will support all of the 3D formats that the other models can now with their firmware update:

A list of all supported 3D formats after upgrade is shown below -

Frame Packing 1080p/24Hz *

Frame Packing 720p/60Hz *

Side-by-Side 1080i/60Hz *

Top-Bottom 1080p/24Hz *

Top-Bottom 720p/60Hz *

Side-by-Side 1080p/60Hz

Side-by-Side 1080p/24Hz

Side-by-Side 1080p/30Hz

Side-by-Side 720p/60Hz

Checkerboard 1080p/60Hz

* These formats are HDMI 1.4a 3D mandatory formats, all other formats are optiona

#58 ·
I guess we just have to wait. Of course reflection came to my mind when I think of how glossy screens have become a common way to deepen color and heighten contrast on computer displays. Reflection really becomes an issue on those displays.

I'm hoping that there is more to the screen upgrade, and that other improvements have boosted the Lambert output as gtgray mentioned.

There's nothing like a big screen to give the cinema experience, and if this model has a beautiful picture, I'll find a way to buy one.

I'm also curious how the passive, polarized approach to 3-D being adopted by a number of HDTV makers this year pans out. Samsung, I believe, has figured out a way to achieve full 1080P using passive polarization. I have to say that I enjoyed Avatar more in IMAX 3-D (pasive) as opposed to the shutter glass approach used in a different theater. Passive polarization is being touted as brighter.

One thing I'm confused about is whether Mitsubishi's ability to accept all the differing 3-D active shutter modes means that they are outputted natively, or rendered ultimately in checkerboard. People on the AVS forums seem to have differing opinions.

#61 ·
By the looks of the set in the Youtube videos from CES it certainly appears the 92" is much brighter than the current 82". Of course they had all the settings set in "torch" mode to impress the onlookers but there is no doubt they had to employ a brighter bulb to get the 92" to look like that, especially in the off axis views.

There's no way the 92 would look that bright using the bulb from the current 82" model, even if they are using some kind of different screen that "boosts" contrast and/or brightness.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofears /forum/post/19794729

By the looks of the set in the Youtube videos from CES it certainly appears the 92" is much brighter than the current 82". Of course they had all the settings set in "torch" mode to impress the onlookers but there is no doubt they had to employ a brighter bulb to get the 92" to look like that, especially in the off axis views.

There's no way the 92 would look that bright using the bulb from the current 82" model, even if they are using some kind of different screen that "boosts" contrast and/or brightness.

As one who has long argued for a brighter bulb in the 82, I certainly hope you're right. Undoubtedly everything they do, including going to a different screen, has an additive effect.

We're just not going to know anything definitive until Mitsubishi gives more info, or until some CES participant digs out that information.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark /forum/post/19795541

Is it possible that it uses two DLP chips and two light bulbs, with both converged to make one bright image (like stacking two fp?).

There was some speculative talk on one of the other Mits threads that Mitsubishi might offer a new generation Texas Instruments DMD on this year's models that would do full 1080P without wobbulation, this based on a rep's offhand remark.

But I think if that were so it would of leaked out by now, as a new DarkChip(5) is a big thing, and TI and Mits would both enjoy positive PR from that. But we can always hope!

As far as using two DarkChips, that's an interesting thought, but I'd imagine that might be challenging to implement on these sets.

#66 ·
I remember reading awhile back that there would be no DC5 from a pretty reliable source. That DC4 when it was introduced would be the last version. Just throwing that out there. Not that any of it matters since we're all just speculating and throwing out rumors till we hear something official.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp /forum/post/19796095

I remember reading awhile back that there would be no DC5 from a pretty reliable source. That DC4 when it was introduced would be the last version. Just throwing that out there. Not that any of it matters since we're all just speculating and throwing out rumors till we hear something official.

Yup. We're a bunch of wild-eyed speculators hoping for the perfect display.

#69 ·
Texas instruments already makes a dmd with full 1920x1080 resolution. Its used in several 3-dmd front projection units. Its still based on the dc4 design.

Also, all the press releases for the 91" dlp advertise 120hz subframe rate, which indicates that these are still 60hz sets, using wobulation to create 1080p.

I think mitsubishi is largely just resting on the fact that they're the largest and cheapest. There hasn't been a single improvement made to the projection unit itself since I bought my 65" 65731 back in 2006.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman421 /forum/post/19797183

Texas instruments already makes a dmd with full 1920x1080 resolution. Its used in several 3-dmd front projection units. Its still based on the dc4 design.

Also, all the press releases for the 91" dlp advertise 120hz subframe rate, which indicates that these are still 60hz sets, using wobulation to create 1080p.

I think you're probably right about wobbulation, based on the 120 hz.

I think you're also right in your assessment of Mits' laissez faire approach to improving the RPTV design, but we can still hope for some incremental improvements.

Thanks for the clarification on the DarkChip.

#72 ·
Will this set be able to handle 24p too?

My old Samsung HLS-5679W LED DLP HDTV doesn't. So no DirecTV Cinema 1080/24p rentals.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester /forum/post/19802499

Will this set be able to handle 24p too?

Even my old 731 was able to accept a 24p signal, so i'm certain this one will do the same.

Whether it can display it as a multiple of 24 frames remains to be seen. The use of wobulation (and 120 subframes) means there's no 120hz support, but it doesn't rule out the inclusion of a 48hz mode, like the front projectors and plasma sets use.

No way to know for sure until the sets come out, unfortunately. And if a 2:2 pulldown mode is included, it would be the first time in a mistubishi RPTV.......

And if i sound like i'm harping on mitsubishi here, lately, it's only for my love of dlp, and my sincere hope that mitsubishi will step up the innovaiton of these sets so i can confidently upgrade my set to one with a 24p mode, and 3d. I find their near nonexistence at CES very frustrating, to say the least.

#75 ·
The presentaion of the WD-92840 is pretty well staged.

There is a fair amount of black shrouding aroud the display and even the ceiling of the display area is black.

That suggests to me that reflections could be a problem in many real rooms. Judging this thing without seeing it in the wild is probably not going to give one a realistic idea of its true performance.

#76 ·
True, true, quite true. I think we all have a wait and see attitude, amplified by the lack of hard data, and the usual dearth of Mits DLP reviews.

Light control notwistanding, I must say the picture in that first video looks pretty great. And maybe you'd need to control your lighting at home to maximize the picture. Still easier than a front projector setup.

Last year the same Mits product development chap did a little show and tell with the 2010 82 inch, in very subdued lighting, and the 92 in comparison has much more punch. I'm guardedly optimistic. (Maybe not so guarded!)

t4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.