AVS Forum banner

LG HW300T LED 1280x800

172K views 695 replies 96 participants last post by  Merxs 
#1 ·
Texas Instruments has released a new HD chipset according to reports from CES 2011

LG: "It is exciting to work together with DLP and their new HD chipset," said YE Kim, Projector Business Team Leader, LG Electronics. "With our new HW300T multimedia pocket projector with built-in TV tuner, we expect to maintain our leadership position through improvements in resolution and brightness, and a form factor that will best serve both the portable business and consumer entertainment environments."

In accordance with this new HD chipset LG is releasing the HW300T:

LG’s new portable projector, the HW300T, is a veritable treasure trove of multimedia functionality. This LED-powered light-thrower comes with DLNA, ATSC and Wi-Fi.

DLNA means it can share content over your home network. So videos and photos on your PC can be wirelessly beamed to the HW300T, then projected onto your wall.

The ATSC television tuner is essentially a terrestrial digital HDTV tuner, built directly into the projector. But don’t get too excited just yet: ATSC is only currently available in Central America, North America and LG’s native South Korea.

Also on board is a broadband function allowing access to web-connected services including Twitter, Facebook and Accuweather.

On the spec front, the LG HW300T has a 1280 x 800 resolution, 250 ANSI lumens brightness, 2,000:1 contrast ratio and HDMI socket.

*Info and picture courtesy of Techradar.com and Texas Instruments

See less See more
#2 ·
With the HX300 being 270 Lumens, why has the higher resolution HW300T taken a hit down to 250 Lumens?

Would a higher resolution, lower lumen projector interest those of us who bought the HX300 last year?

Personally I'm a little disappointed by this announcement, I was hoping for at least 300 lumens to match the HX350Y!

#5 ·
Well, just as i imagined : Lg launches a replacement for the 300 series using the same LED chipset from Luminus Devices to illuminate a 1200x800 DMD chip from Texas Instruments, around Summer 2011.

Instead of going full steam ahead and use a 1920x1080 chip mated to a more powerful chipset from Luminus Devices inside a bigger pj case, LG decided to take the easier route by introducing this evolutionary pj in its roster of presentation LED projectors; Too bad...

I don't think i'll bother selling my HX300G to get this one, as i did previously with the HS-201, considering that the HW300T puts out the same amount of lumens with a slight increase in pixel resolution.

Maybe by Summer 2012 LG will "get it" and give us what we're all waiting for and at such time frame such pj would perhaps be available for a msrp of $2.000/$2.500 ???

#6 ·
If they can solve the two major issues with picos, I'll gladly upgrade. Fan noise and focus are huge issues. Typically picos are near the viewers so any fan noise is in your face. Also picos need flexible focus as they are not fixed in place. Lumens are no longer the biggest issue. Qumi's 3D support is a major plus.

#7 ·
Uhm, perhaps i should ammend my post above.

After thinking more carefully about the 1200x800 pixel resolution of this new DLP chip from TI i realized that even though they call it WXGA it doesn't really fit the standard description of 1280x800, which is unusual.

I wonder how this resolution of the LGHW300T would look like being displayed natively on 4:3 screens and 16:9 screens.

VGA : 640x480 - 4:3 ratio

SVGA : 800x600 - 4:3

XGA : 1024x768 - 4:3

LG HW300T : 1200x800 - ???

HD STANDARD : 1280x720 - 16:9

WXGA : 1280x800 - 16:10

SXGA- : 1280x960 - 4:3

SXGA : 1280x1024 - 5:4

WSXGA : 1440x900 - 16:10

UXGA : 1600x1200 - 4:3

WSXGA+ : 1680x1050 - 16:10

HD STANDARD : 1920x1080 - 16:9

WUXGA : 1920x1200 - 16:10

#8 ·
There must be some confusion as to the actual resolution of these new DLP chips. The TI web site specifically states that the chips are WXGA. I have seen three different resolutions reported for the same chip, one 1280x768, two 1280x800, and three 1200x800. I'm sure there isn't three different chips, so two of these are wrong.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita /forum/post/19781252

If they can solve the two major issues with picos, I'll gladly upgrade. Fan noise and focus are huge issues. Typically picos are near the viewers so any fan noise is in your face. Also picos need flexible focus as they are not fixed in place. Lumens are no longer the biggest issue. Qumi's 3D support is a major plus.

Do you mean zoom?I think you do, and I agree with all your points,That said the layouts of this new crop seem to be a lil bigger if they have a power brick meaning they can have larger lazyer fans.

#10 ·
chane2k1

Thank You very much for posting this, I just found my next projector, Hopefully it comes out on the predicted date

There are a hand full of options I won't use (have a HTPC so content delivered/stored on PC is already there (via HDMI)/ have an awesome over air HDTV USB stick that works great).

A 1280X800 projector that has 2500:1 contrast and 300 lumen (remember I'm still using the HS200 in normal mode with a De-lite High power screen and am VERY happy) sounds like this is the next step I will be making.

Vivetek is (and correct me if I am wrong) a rather good company and @ $500 (same as the HS 200) this sounds GREAT (to me).

Thanks

AFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chane2k1 /forum/post/19780311

this looks good but im much more interested in the Vivetek Qumi that was also announced it's a 1280x800 300 lumen led dlp with 3d support. http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_1552.htm

#11 ·
Projector Central has posted specs for the HW300T and lists the resolution as WXGA 1280x800, 16:10 aspect ratio.

So, it appears that TI has released a brand new DMD chip optimized for pico/mini/portable/presentation/video applications; the chipset is HD ready and capable of displaying native 1080p content scaled to its native resolution with excellent results, i'd imagine.

Why the somewhat unusual pixel count and aspect ratio ? Perhaps something to do with the way the Windows display bar at the bottom of the screen displays better than on a 1280x720 screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio, just like on some laptops ?

All i know is that the more i read about this DMD HD-chipset being used on this upcoming LG pj, the more i am tempted to replace my HX300G for it....Here we go again, but at these price points of $500~$1.000, they're still affordable !

BTW, considering that Vivitek has already announced the msrp for the above posted Qumi LED pj, a direct competitor for the HW300T if there's one out there, perhaps that would force LG's hands to keep the pricing for the HW300T at similar levels ?

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_te...i=54923,00.asp

This isn't 1200x800. LG obviously made a typo, you guys are reading waaaaaay to much into this.
Yes, I have found that pcmag.com is a fairly unreliable source for technical specs. In another CES article they claimed that Mitsubishi laserview did not use DLP.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson
Yes, I have found that pcmag.com is a fairly unreliable source for technical specs. In another CES article they claimed that Mitsubishi laserview did not use DLP.

It's their encyclopedia dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic...80.C3.97768.29

Is that a better link?

I can almost assure you it is not 1200x800. Somebody at LG forgot to put an 8 in there.

#17 ·
That this will be any where near 500$ is laughable-but it does have a lot of stuff packed in there ,that tuner and the web connectivity(we all needs our Twitter, Facebook and Accuweather ) should bump it in to the 1200$ range

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrs35 /forum/post/19806884

any idea when the Vivitek and LG products will hit the shelves? I would like to see a comparison between he two before i make my pick.

One thing is certain though..life is getting better
if they keep it up this way we'll see 1080p LED 3D projectors in year or two.

4 months for the qumi(who thought up that name,it must be an acronym)

#22 ·
You can buy 1080p LED 3D projectors right now, if you can afford one. They start at around $15,000.

#24 ·
Sorry, got two projectors mixed up, the Runco D-73D is $50,000 and is 1080p 3D LED. The other I was thinking of is the LG CF3D, which is 1080p 3D, but not LED as I thought.

#25 ·
#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson /forum/post/19809115

Sorry, got two projectors mixed up, the Runco D-73D is $50,000 and is 1080p 3D LED. The other I was thinking of is the LG CF3D, which is 1080p 3D, but not LED as I thought.

Right, and you are basically spending 50,000 dollars on 2 projectors and runco still doesn't recommend over a 100 inch screen(what's the point, mitsu has 92inch dlp now)

Short of going polarized passive 3d with dual projectors, i just don't see it happening for LED in the near future. One day maybe, but right now they just aren't bright enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.