AVS Forum banner

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of the Ga'Hoole (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

15K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  Ralph Potts 
#1 ·

The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 97 minutes
Genre: Animation/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Helen Mirren, Geoffrey Rush, Jim Sturgess, Hugo Weaving, Joel Edgerton, Sam Neill, Anthony LaPaglia, Emily Barclay, Ryan Kwanten
Directed by: Zack Snyder
Music by: David Hircshfelder
Written by: John Orloff & Emil Stern based on the novels Guardians of the Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 14, 2010

"On his way to finding a legendhe will become one"

Film Synopsis:

Director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) makes his animation debut with this fantasy adventure based on the beloved books. Young owl Soren marvels at tales of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole, mythic winged warriors who battled to save all owl kind from the evil Pure Ones. When he and brother Kludd fall into the talons of the Pure Ones, it's up to Soren to make a daring escape with the help of other brave owls and seek out the Great Tree, home of the Guardians.

My Take:

Legend of the Guardians: The owls of Ga'Hoole is based on the first three volumes (The Capture, The Journey, and The Rescue) of the series Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky. I knew nothing of the book series going into this review but after seeing it prior knowledge isn't a prerequisite. The fantasy/adventure based story revolves around Soren, a young adventurous barn owl who loves hearing stories from his father about the exploits of the legendary Guardians of Ga'Hoole, a mythic alliance of owls that are sworn to protect the owl kingdom. When Soren and his older brother Kludd are stolen away from their home by the minions of Metalbeak, an evil owl bent on settling an old score by building an army of Pure Ones to wage war against the mythical Guardians of Ga'Hoole, the two brothers find themselves divided. Kludd is the older of the two and sibling rivalry has left him resentful and jealous of Soren. After learning the seriousness of their captor's intent Soren plans to escape in the hopes of finding and warning the Guardians. Meanwhile Kludd revels in the new found attention he receives as a Pure One and falls in with them. Presented with an opportunity Soren manages to escape along with Gylfie, another young owlet captured by the Pure Ones. They set out on their dangerous quest which will require the help of several new found friends and an as yet unfulfilled prophecy. For Soren finding the Guardians is a dream come true, little does he know that it will ultimately be them who will need him the most.

This is an enjoyable fairytale that is sure to strike a chord with younger audiences although I think there is enough to keep parents interested as well. It plays out very much like most stories of its kind and features good, evil, and the underlying purpose of the actions that guide the hero. There is plenty of action, a little thematic drama/suspense and a bevy of furry characters to help move things along. The depiction of the Cain/Able type relationship between Soren and Kludd is similar to those we have seen in other films and plays an integral role in the course of events that transpire. While the story's premise remains consistent the plot's focus becomes diluted with smaller subplots and the introduction of too many lesser characters to make it thoroughly satisfying. In spite of that I felt that the uplifting nature of the story and the continuity of its core elements endured. The outcome is an entertaining and charming animated family film that has something to offer audiences of all ages.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some sequences of scary action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Legend of the Guardians: The owls of Ga'Hoole comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This is a reference quality high definition video presentation that among the best that I have seen. Images are painted with incredible three dimensional perspective that imparts a near infinite sense of depth. Intricate details such as the separation of individual strands of hair or the flowing of feathers as they blow in the breeze are incredibly lifelike. I was able to fully appreciate the attention to detail that went into the visual design of the individual characters. Colors are rich and beautifully crafted as the deep shades of sepia are splashed with golden accents and invigorated by eye catching primaries that look succulent in high definition. Contrast and brightness are spot on and strike a wonderful balance that highlights the multi-layered grays and gradational whites within the images onscreen. Low level sequences have superb depth of field and resolvable shadow delineation. Blacks are deep without compromise to fidelity and exhibit excellent dynamic range. This high definition encoding delivers image quality that offers visually arresting depth along with a luminous and sparkling clarity that result in a flawless presentation that simply looks stunning.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack presented here is an impressive one that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. This is an engaging and dynamically energized surround mix that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, seamless integration, and rhythmically charged bass extension. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it reaches far into the room. It's located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundfield. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or tonal inflection of voices. This is a complex sound design that is loaded with various sound effects, spatial cues, music, and dialogue. Each was clearly represented with enriching clarity, detail and appropriate sound field placement.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) True Guardians of the earth - 15 minute documentary hosted by Digger and Rico Rodriguez

• (HD) Maximum kid mode - Explore the world of Ga'Hoole - In movie experience

• (HD) Legend of the Guardians: armor up with Soren and Eglantine - Interactive costume designer

• (HD) Match the owl treats - Interactive matching game

• (HD) Legend of the Guardians: Rise of the Guardians - 2 minute alternate scene

• (HD) Looney Tunes Fur of flying - Short animated feature (3 minutes)

• (HD) Artwork galleries (4 segments)

• (HD) To the sky music video by Owl City - 3 minutes

• BD-Live enabled

• Bonus DVD/Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Legend of the Guardians: The owls of Ga'Hoole is based on the first three volumes (The Capture, The Journey, and The Rescue) of the series Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky. I had a few quibbles with the screenplay but still found this to be an entertaining and charming animated family film that has something to offer audiences of all ages. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video delivers mesmerizing high definition video quality that ranks among the best animated imagery that I have seen on the format. Superb lossless surround sound and an apropos set of bonus features round out a wonderful package that has found a home in my Blu-ray collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#28 ·
Watched it tonight with the family. To me, this is one of the best looking Blu Ray movies I have seen. Reminds me of Kung Fu Panda as reference material. The story wasn't too bad at all but not in the same league as some of the Disney or Pixar efforts.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/19691057

Greetings,

I think it will be okay.

Regards,

Good call. My five year old did not have any issues with this. Loved the flying sequences. This looked really good on my 10 foot wide scope screen. The level of detail in the feathers and eyes was striking. The animation also did a great job with motion and pans. Very little blur in this this for so much action going on.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/19714793

Good call. My five year old did not have any issues with this. Loved the flying sequences. This looked really good on my 10 foot wide scope screen. The level of detail in the feathers and eyes was striking. The animation also did a great job with motion and pans. Very little blur in this this for so much action going on.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it.

Regards,

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/0

Cool that's what I like to hear.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/19773445

Finally received my copy. Looking forward to watch it, though my 3 yr old wants to watch it too. Is there any scary bits that will scare him?

Greetings,

Hard to say Frank. It depends on the types of things that might frighten him. There is peril and a few darker characters but nothing I would describe as overtly scary. Your call but you might want to watch it first if you're concerned since he is only three.

Regards,

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/0

Greetings,

Hard to say Frank. It depends on the types of things that might frighten him. There is peril and a few darker characters but nothing I would describe as overtly scary. Your call but you might want to watch it first if you're concerned since he is only three.

Regards,

Thanks Ralph he ended up watching it with us. He wasn't scared he was more bored at the end. My daughter loved it. The pq is breathtaking and the aq is awesome.

I'll have to give it a second view as my little one was more excited jumping all over me.

#35 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin
Thanks Ralph he ended up watching it with us. He wasn't scared he was more bored at the end. My daughter loved it. The pq is breathtaking and the aq is awesome.

I'll have to give it a second view as my little one was more excited jumping all over me.
Glad it worked for you. Visually, this was one of the best animated movies I saw this year. The story presentation was not as bad as I feared - or as intense. My five year old watched it straight for about a week, after the initial viewing, so that is always a good sign.

Not as much fun as httyd, and the bass was not as killer, but the surrounds were spectacular in this. The rain scene was cool too.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/0

Glad it worked for you. Visually, this was one of the best animated movies I saw this year. The story presentation was not as bad as I feared - or as intense. My five year old watched it straight for about a week, after the initial viewing, so that is always a good sign.

Not as much fun as httyd, and the bass was not as killer, but the surrounds were spectacular in this. The rain scene was cool too.

It was good bur your right I'd personally take HTTYD, I just loved that movie.

#37 ·
I loved the animation and almost everything else about this movie except I thought there was something lacking. Somehow the movie failed to get me involved in the struggle each character faced. Perhaps it was the pacing (too much ground had to be covered in 95 minutes?), but it seemed a lot of the themes were just presented and not developed.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax /forum/post/19815385

I loved the animation and almost everything else about this movie except I thought there was something lacking. Somehow the movie failed to get me involved in the struggle each character faced. Perhaps it was the pacing (too much ground had to be covered in 95 minutes?), but it seemed a lot of the themes were just presented and not developed.

I agree. Most critics panned it because of this and led to my low expectations going in.

#39 ·
I really enjoyed this one and I think it was the best PQ i've ever seen to date .

#40 ·
Finally had a chance to watch it... Excellent PQ... Reference for sure... Plot is ok...

#43 ·
We just picked this up on a Best Buy sale. I did read Ralph's review back in December, but had forgotten he gave it 100 for PQ. I agree with the others who said it is the best PQ I have seen on BD. Better than Toy Story. Watching on a 50 Plasma Samsung. The whole family enjoyed this and we were engaged from start to finish. I just kept being blown away by the incredible PQ. Stunning.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr /forum/post/20108151

We just picked this up on a Best Buy sale. I did read Ralph's review back in December, but had forgotten he gave it 100 for PQ. I agree with the others who said it is the best PQ I have seen on BD. Better than Toy Story. Watching on a 50 Plasma Samsung. The whole family enjoyed this and we were engaged from start to finish. I just kept being blown away by the incredible PQ. Stunning.

Greetings,

Glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed it David..

Regards,

#45 ·
I know this thread is way old but I have to say I'm excited about watching this movie.

We recently bought a projector and I have a 2:35:1 screen that is over 12 feet wide, it's awesome. My wife invited a lot of people over from her side of the family tomorrow night for a movie night and she picked this movie without asking me. I was nervous that she would pick something that wouldn't be a great show off movie and wouldn't be 2:35:1, but I have to say she did a great job choosing if this thread is any indication.

Can't wait, thanks for the review!

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp /forum/post/21551113

I know this thread is way old but I have to say I'm excited about watching this movie.

We recently bought a projector and I have a 2:35:1 screen that is over 12 feet wide, it's awesome. My wife invited a lot of people over from her side of the family tomorrow night for a movie night and she picked this movie without asking me. I was nervous that she would pick something that wouldn't be a great show off movie and wouldn't be 2:35:1, but I have to say she did a great job choosing if this thread is any indication.

Can't wait, thanks for the review!

Greetings,

Very cool carp and you're right, she picked a winner that should look great on your new setup. Enjoy and post back afterward!

Regards,

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112  /t/1300027/legend-of-the-guardians-...-official-avsforum-review/40_20#post_23209656

I watched this on my panasonic gt50 55 inch plasma with oppo 103 connected - the picture quality was horrible.

Looked like DVD to me.

Greetings,

Did you double check that you hadn't inadvertently loaded the DVD? There would be no question that this video presentation isn't high definition.

Regards,

#49 · (Edited)
One of the best sound effects and surround tracks I've heard. No not necessarily the best clarity and most dynamic but a very full sound stage. I plan of purchasing this disk. What I like about the surround was the precise placement of objects in the sound field that was achieved, I not only heard back to front overhead pans but also rear to front side pans with only a 5.1 system, no overhead speakers, no side speakers.

Amazing animation.

Good story even though some of the critics didn't like it I liked it better than they did.

Cheers,

Reactions: Ralph Potts
#50 ·
One of the best sound effects and surround tracks I've heard. No not necessarily the best clarity and most dynamic but a very full sound. I plan of purchasing this disk. What I like about the surround was the precise placement of objects in the sound field that was achieved, I not only heard back to front overhead pans but also rear to front side pans with only a 5.1 system, no overhead speakers, no side speakers.

Amazing animation.

Good story even though some of the critics didn't like it I liked it better than they did.

Cheers,
Greetings,

Great! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. :)

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.