AVS Forum banner
56K views 125 replies 49 participants last post by  JMS44 
#1 ·
Since the 2011 Player was never manufactured.. its time for a new thread

Some info from British site

Denon have announced a new Blu-ray player, the DBP-2012UD, which in typical Denon fashion is labeled as a mid-range player, despite its £749 price tag in the UK. It promises to offer their usual high quality picture and audio.

The new Blu-ray player supports 3D discs, DVD, SACD and CD, plus it can playback DivX files via its USB port, and has DLNA support for wireless playback from a compatible device or network. On the audio front, you'll find 7.1 analogue outputs on the rear and it'll decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio too.

Inside, a handy 1GB of memory can be used for BD-Live features, while Anchor Bay's video processing technology and a high quality 192Khz/32-bit digital to analogue converter take care of the visual and audio department. Joining the analogue audio connectors on the rear panel is an RS232 port and a single v1.4 HDMI socket.

The DBP-2012UD really replaces the DBP-2010UD, as according to WhatHiF, ithe scheduled 2011UD never quite made it to market after it was announced last year. You'll be able to choose between a silver or black machine, and it goes on sale in March.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for starting this thread tn001d. Do you know why this model is only available at B&H Photo and not listed on the Denon website? Crutchfield used to have a preorder on the 2011, but now the only model on their website is the 1611.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d /forum/post/20033151

The model is also listed on J and R's website. They even have a great price listed ;-)

It appears the foreign models will not support netflix, but i can only assume the US model will, althought i can confirm that either.

There is some weirdness on the JR site with regards to the 2012 though. You can't find it on the site by the model number, and when the player is brought up it is listed as a generic Denon Blu Ray Player that is out of stock.

This and the lack of info on the Denon website make me wonder if it is actually available.

I have to wait a few months to order one anyway, but this product launch is just strange.

#11 ·
Just placed my order for the DBP-2012 through JR and should have it in a week or or two. Even though JR shows the 2012 as "out of stock" on their website, you can place a special order for it over the phone with them.

Other than the lack of Denon Link, everything seems better on paper with the 2012 than the higher priced 4010. Newer video processor, 32 bit DACs, USB port on the front, 3D capable, etc.

Hopefully it isn't too slow on load up and more reliable than past Denon player's I've owned.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/20051643

Just placed my order for the DBP-2012 through JR and should have it in a week or or two. Even though JR shows the 2012 as "out of stock" on their website, you can place a special order for it over the phone with them.

Other than the lack of Denon Link, everything seems better on paper with the 2012 than the higher priced 4010. Newer video processor, 32 bit DACs, USB port on the front, 3D capable, etc.

Hopefully it isn't too slow on load up and more reliable than past Denon player's I've owned.

Nice find on the JR site guys. ^! Please keep us posted on your thoughts/opinions. Would love to hear what you think of PQ SQ load times etc...

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322 /forum/post/20055651

Did anyone ever resolve what the PCM output is for SACD on new-generation Denon/Marantz players? I swear, if Denon keeps downconverting DSD to 16/44.1, then I'm getting another Oppo (BDP-95).

So tell me it's OK ...

I guess I should have read the fine print more closely (regarding SACD). Since it seems that Denon has only passed full-bandwidth DSD through the Denon Link connection in the past, and since the 2012 doesn't have Denon Link, my guess is that SACD will be down-rezed again with this player. Thankfully for me, my SACD collection is small enough that I really don't care. I've since moved onto hi-rez music downloads.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge
I guess I should have read the fine print more closely (regarding SACD). Since it seems that Denon has only passed full-bandwidth DSD through the Denon Link connection in the past, and since the 2012 doesn't have Denon Link, my guess is that SACD will be down-rezed again with this player.
I suspect the same, but I don't really know. It's shameful, though, when we consider that the Oppo BDP-83 outputs 24/88.2, and it came out almost two years ago!

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322
I suspect the same, but I don't really know. It's shameful, though, when we consider that the Oppo BDP-83 outputs 24/88.2, and it came out almost two years ago!
I agree. Denon could easily do better and given that the competition does so adds insult to injury.

#18 ·
Does anyone know if all the audio outputs are active at the same time on the 2012?

Willie

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/20056594

I guess I should have read the fine print more closely (regarding SACD). Since it seems that Denon has only passed full-bandwidth DSD through the Denon Link connection in the past, and since the 2012 doesn't have Denon Link, my guess is that SACD will be down-rezed again with this player. Thankfully for me, my SACD collection is small enough that I really don't care. I've since moved onto hi-rez music downloads.

The specs for the DBP-2012UD include:

HDMI-output (HDCP) - (Version 1.4a)

- Digital Video (HDCP)

- Digital Audio - (SD-/HD-Bitstream / 2ch PCM / 8ch PCM / DSD)

The manual states that the receiver has to support DSD in order for the player to send it. So... testing will be required but it seems like it will do it.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi /forum/post/20058718

Does anyone know if all the audio outputs are active at the same time on the 2012?

Willie

With every Denon player I've ever owned this has been the case, unless you intentionally turn off the HDMI output.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek /forum/post/20058840

The specs for the DBP-2012UD include:

HDMI-output (HDCP) - (Version 1.4a)

- Digital Video (HDCP)

- Digital Audio - (SD-/HD-Bitstream / 2ch PCM / 8ch PCM / DSD)

The manual states that the receiver has to support DSD in order for the player to send it. So... testing will be required but it seems like it will do it.

Good find. I just checked out the 2012 manual for the UK version (there is no US manual) and it does look like it outputs the DSD stream, so as long as your AVR / prepro can decode it, we are back in the game. Which is actually better for me than what the Oppo does since my Denon AVR-5308 does process DSD. So maybe I'll pick up some new SACDs after all.

Where did you get your specs though? I don't see them listed the way you have them in the manual.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/20059172

Good find. I just checked out the 2012 manual for the UK version (there is no US manual) and it does look like it outputs the DSD stream, so as long as your AVR / prepro can decode it, we are back in the game. Which is actually better for me than what the Oppo does since my Denon AVR-5308 does process DSD. So maybe I'll pick up some new SACDs after all.

Where did you get your specs though? I don't see them listed the way you have them in the manual.

I had this unit pre-ordered 8 months ago when it was the 2011 and had Denon Link! Unfortunately, I gave up on Denon for the blu-ray and bought the Oppo 93, which also outputs the DSD stream to my Denon receiver. It would look really nice to match my other components though...and who here knows how good that newer ABT chip is? Any running examples out there yet?

#23 ·
A week ago I was told that I would have mine from J&R Music World in two weeks, but now I see on the B&H Photo site that the est. release is now April. I'm going to call tomorrow to check on the status.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/20095275

I believe this has been mentioned previously in the other threads, isn't the Marantz UD7006 fairly close in design to the Denon DBP-2012UD (production sharing)?

If I choose to purchase either the Denon DBP-2012UD or the Marantz UD7006, I would pick the Marantz. They are basically identical except the Marantz uses high end capacitors, so it should sound better than the Denon. Also, the Marantz has a 3 year warranty. I really like the 3930, but I use it only for 2CH listening(Redbook CD, SACD and DVD-A), utilizing pure direct on the 3930 and my Denon AVR, it really sounds fantastic. . I use my Oppo 83SE for HT and MCH music. I found that my AVR utilizes DSD over HDMI full resolution, so the Denon AVR does bass management. I can let the Oppo do all of the decoding for BR, HT and DVD-A. All of this is sent via HDMI to my Denon receiver. On the Denon I use "Pure Direct" for DSD, as well as BR, DVD, DTS, DVD-A. With BR, DVD, DTS, DVD-A being decoded in the Oppo and sent to the Denon AVR as PCM, AL24 processing is done in the Denon. The AL24 processing and "Pure Direct" mode gives me highest quality sound, and is much better than trying to use the MCH analog out of the 3930. The Denon AVR used this way allows me to use it's bass management, and I can toggle the Audyssey settings on and off.

I am glad I found how to best use my Denon AVR. I will not need a new Denon or Marantz BR player, don't need 3D, or streaming capabilities. I am mainly interested in listening to music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.