AVS Forum banner

Official InFocus Sp8602 owners thread.

254K views 2K replies 160 participants last post by  graf-d 
#1 ·
Here are some screenshots I took earlier today. Please note that my camera is just a Sony DSC-H50. While a nice camera, it is not a DSLR, AND I have never really took pictures of my screen before so I am not very up to par on the proper technique to make the picture represent exactly what is being displayed on the screen. With that said, these are not 100% accurate and I will note the major flaws that the camera shows compared to the actual image on the screen.

My first impressions after having time to actually get the image set up properly (horizonatal and vertical lens shift took a while to fine tune) and to watch different scenes from different movies, I would have to say that I am very impressed with this projector. I have only ever viewed the IN83 and the old SP7205, and comparatively, the SP8602 is superior, mainly in the black levels. I think the dynamic iris really helped. I curently have it set to auto.

Also, all colors you are seeing in the images below are out of the box color. I have not touched any setting on the projector other than the horizontal and vertical lens shift. I did turn the motion capture (i think thats what it is called) to off because otherwise it looks like you are watching a soap opera all the time, not really a movie. I ordered the Spears and Munsil bluray calibration disc and will post more pics afterwards. I really wanted to get some skin tone images but my camera battery died, so that will have to wait till later tonight.

Any questions feel free to ask.

On this image here (taken from the Dark Knight) the lights on the building appear to be a bluish green color. They actually show up as white/flourescent in the image from the projector. I can adjust my shutter speed so much, and obviously its not enough. But the blacks are pretty true in this picture.

This pic of the projector itself was taken by an iphone

See less See more
#980 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/20067052

Interesting. I called the dealer order line earlier this week and they said they had none. Maybe whatever they had left is for their on line store and is not being made available to dealers. I just don't know. I hope you enjoy the projector as others here have enjoyed theirs.

Thanks. I'll report back as soon as I receive one of the following: A tracking number
; or an apologetic e-mail saying that they actually have none in stock

I'm cautiously excited. I've been putting off going to 1080p for a while (since my 720p Optoma HD72 looks so good). I have high expectations for the SP8602, and it has, in my mind, some big shoes to fill.

- s.west

#981 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swest /forum/post/20067078

I'm cautiously excited. I've been putting off going to 1080p for a while (since my 720p Optoma HD72 looks so good). I have high expectations for the SP8602, and it has, in my mind, some big shoes to fill.

- s.west

I had the HD72 about 6 years ago. The color, black level, and contrast of the SP8602 will blow the Optoma out of the water!!

#982 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 /forum/post/20067564

I had the HD72 about 6 years ago. The color, black level, and contrast of the SP8602 will blow the Optoma out of the water!!

Sounds great!

I'm going to build a hush box for this PJ. I can get the dimensions of the box, and clearances from the manual, but it doesn't indicate the vent locations, nor does it provide a template for a mounting bracket.

Can anyone provide this to me? I can get started on the box, while I'm waiting for the PJ.

Also, I plan to include a low-rpm (i.e. quiet) fan on the hush box to vent out the back. Have there been any threads on hush box construction? (No, I haven't done a search
I'll do that now...)

#983 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swest /forum/post/20067017

I just went to their website (Infocus), and the SP8602 still showed as 'in stock' and order-able. The price (50% of MSRP) was considerably less than the current Amazon price, and, since I have been holding out hoping that the Amazon price would drop, I decided to give it a go and placed an order for one..

The order went through, and I got an order number...

We'll see what happens.- s.west

def keep us advised $2500 is a steal... wonder if the mount off my 7210 will work with the 8202....

#985 ·
I just got a confirming e-mail from Ryan Schneegold at Infocus saying that the projector would ship today for a Thursday delivery. Whoohoo!

FYI, I also noticed that ProjectorPeople is showing this projector at the reduced price, and 'in stock'...

I'll report back when I have it in my hot little hands (alas, I will be out-of-town when it delivers and won't be back until next Monday, so I have to subdue my elation).

Cheers.

- s.west

#990 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/20075664

That is a terrific deal! What Darkchip does the Infocus use? I'm with ya..may have to jump ship on the Sony B stock. Looks like there's a delay in the VW85s. Not sure if I want to wait or move on.

I believe it's a DC3 DLP .65 chip inside, and the second vendor mentioned earlier has stock and would ship today if you place an order (The sales guy was shocked at the price
). They had three in stock (well two since I bought one).

I called AVS and canceled my order and scooped up one of these. It will work with my current (and future setup), and I have the lumens to go with a larger screen. I'll use this projector till the 3D tech on projectors gets a bit better then where they are at right now. The B-stock was quite the deal, but I can pass on it for this projector since it's always been on my short list of projectors I was interested in buying before the B stock sale.

I should have my tracking number tonight! Looks like I'm back in the DLP game. Thanks for posting up the info swest!

#991 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM /forum/post/20076111

I believe it's a DC3 DLP .65 chip inside, and the second vendor mentioned earlier has stock and would ship today if you place an order (The sales guy was shocked at the price

I called AVS and canceled my order and scooped up one of these. It will work with my current (and future setup), and I have the lumens to go with a larger screen. I'll use this projector till the 3D tech on projectors gets a bit better then where they are at right now. The B-stock was quite the deal, but I can pass on it for this projector.

I should have my tracking number tonight! Thanks for posting up the info swest!

This is soooo tempting I'm at odds on which way to go now..wait on the VW85 or go with the 8602..I have been waiting on this unit to drop in price for months! And now it has...the timing is terrible.lol

#992 ·

Quote:

I should have my tracking number tonight! Looks like I'm back in the DLP game. Thanks for posting up the info swest!

My pleasure. I just got my tracking number from the Infocus direct purchase.

"Things are going to start happening to me now!"

- s.west

#993 ·

Quote:

I called AVS and canceled my order and scooped up one of these. It will work with my current (and future setup), and I have the lumens to go with a larger screen. I'll use this projector till the 3D tech on projectors gets a bit better then where they are at right now. The B-stock was quite the deal, but I can pass on it for this projector. I should have my tracking number tonight! Thanks for posting up the info swest!

Well I'm also canceling my order with AVS. I just ordered one of these as well from projector people. Since I was a return customer, I got a better deal than the price direct from the manufactures website.

My units ships out today as well. I should have it here in two days! My impatiences has got the best of me. I like the brightness specs of this unit. I can use it in more lighting conditions than the Sony..which I'm sure I would also enjoy.

#994 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/20076296

My units ships out today as well. It should have it here in two days! My impatiences has got the best of me. I like the brightness specs of this unit. I can use it in more lighting conditions than the Sony..which I'm sure I would also enjoy.

Well I'm also canceling my order with AVS. I just ordered one of these as well from projector people. Since I was a return customer, I got a better deal than the price direct from the manufactures website.

Awesome! I wish I got an added discount but this is the first time I've ordered from them. It's being shipped ground so I won't see this till Friday or Monday since I'm in Canada. Let me know what you think of it once it arrives!

#995 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM /forum/post/20076536

Awesome! I wish I got an added discount but this is the first time I've ordered from them. It's being shipped ground so I won't see this till Friday or Monday since I'm in Canada. Let me know what you think of it once it arrives!

I certainly will my friend!

I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the Benq W6000 a friend owns. I've grown accustom to bold and bright...its difficult for me to go to something considered dim. Hopefully the blacks don't suffer too much from this unit being a light cannon.

#996 ·
Have you had the chance to see one in person? I have and I've seen the W6000 as well. The SP8602 was put on my short list and the W6000 was not. Also seen the Optoma 8600 and that was a nice piece as well, but I was not happy with the 8200 I had bought a while ago so I wasn't about to go that route. I had bought a used VW50 as a stop gap while I decided on if I wanted to go JVC, Sony or Infocus.

Oh and I got my tracking info!

Now to decide on a new screen size!

#997 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM /forum/post/20078067

Have you had the chance to see one in person? I have and I've seen the W6000 as well. The SP8602 was put on my short list and the W6000 was not. Also seen the Optoma 8600 and that was a nice piece as well, but I was not happy with the 8200 I had bought a while ago so I wasn't about to go that route. I had bought a used VW50 as a stop gap while I decided on if I wanted to go JVC, Sony or Infocus.

Oh and I got my tracking info!

Now to decide on a new screen size!

I've seen the Benq W6000 but never the Infocus. Looks like I will get it on Wednesday. It probably won't be tested till early Thursday morning though.

So what would you describe as the differences between the Infocus and Benq? I've lusted after the Optoma 8600..just too far out of my price range.

#998 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/20079258

I've seen the Benq W6000 but never the Infocus. Looks like I will get it on Wednesday. It probably won't be tested till early Thursday morning though.

So what would you describe as the differences between the Infocus and Benq? I've lusted after the Optoma 8600..just too far out of my price range.

I haven't seen one since my initial projector search last year but off of memory I wasn't that impressed with the image. At the time it was going to be a W20000 replacement and it didn't come close to being one. It's bright, but that's about it. It's good if you have a rather large screen as it's a light cannon but that's all it had going for it (to me anyways).

#1,000 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swest /forum/post/20080174

Well, as it turns out, my Infocus direct purchase actually shipped out of Tampa, not Portland... hmm...

It sound like this projector is at the end of it's life. Since PP is the only one with the current low price Infocus must of made a deal with PP and are using their inventory as well. PP shows availability now of 1 to 2 days. We shall see what happens from here.

I also have the W6000 and I'm interested to hear the comparisons, the Infocus was on my short list.

#1,001 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmjt /forum/post/18261454

Anyone care to look and see the bare lamp part number is so we can possibly get them for $150 instead of $350 for the entire lamp assembly?

I'm finding some Philips 260W UHP lamps for $125.

I've been looking for the answer to this question, and haven't come up with it. Does anyone know the part number for the bare lamp?

Thanks.

- s.west

#1,003 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/20081456

I'm curious if these units have the latest firmware update.Last update on the site was 10/2010. If these are the last of the units from Portland via PP, I would hope so. If not, we'll all have to do the upgrade ourselves.

I hope it has at least V72 so that we can update the projector via USB. I'm a mac guy and I'll have to have my friend bring over his laptop to preform the update (If needed).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.