AVS Forum banner

Epson 9700 Flat Paint Test...

19K views 200 replies 14 participants last post by  fraisa 
#1 ·
Okay wanted to do some testing with my Epson 9700 in my office

on tan flat painted wall for awhile and finally got to it with the time to really make a good test.

Was really impressed with the results.

If its a total controlled light room this really could work,

Did this testing in my office...

I am not use to seeing light scatter but there was a lot of it,

which this is my office and not going to paint the room black.

But what i was impressed with was the corners where pretty much consistent to the center with regards to brightness and dimming..

with regards to daytime watching it gets faded and a little washed out effect

but is still watchable.

The Epson 9700 is in Eco Mode for the lamp

and the Auto iris is at Normal

screen size is 70-75 inches...

Projector is sitting on my desk

Throw distance is 7.5 feet lens to wall...

Not using any lens shift side to side...

Using the vertical shift at upper limit....

Thought i would share my findings....

Higher ISO Little more ambient light

Ambient light shot

Shot 8am morning shot cloudy day blinds closed but still light coming in have Window at 9ft thats totally not coverd....

Switched camera colour mode from auto to tuscan makes it more real to room brightness on camera in screen shot

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000
fraisa

Nice post and great results.

Perfectly acceptable lights out at a cost of what $10.

Whites/Blacks look as good as any other DIY options, whats your best guess to the Gain 1.0?
Ya was really pleased with the outcome..

considering this is just off the wall.

and again the corners where pretty much the same as the center

no dimming.

Watching Hockey on it was amazing in the right lighting environment....

Actual total cost was the effort of time..

Wall was already painted and it was just a matter of setting up the projector.

If anyone wants to know the type of paint let me know.

Regarding the gain,, ya may be 1.0.

The thing about my office is A projector setup is not the easiest thing to do,

My Room Faces do south,

Have 12ft ceilings,two big windows that have blinds then a half moon type window above them which is uncovered..

my desk in the off center 3 ft from a window.

So right now the wall is the easiest option and the position of the projector would have to be my desk for now....

#5 ·
Okay Next Phase of DIY Testing...

Film/Movie BLuRay Content.

Preview

Tried last night to take some screen shots.

Was not using the tripod and you could tell as I was getting some Unfocased shots.

But here is the best of the shots from last night

They are a little blurry but if you look at the colour detail it still is a good screen shot and again this is a flat painted wall.

On the second shot you see my Colour settings.

Nothing is over saturated with the settings

actually my colour sat was at -2....

Will try again but with my tripod so the shots look crisp....

#6 ·
Okay,

Got the chance to Do the screen shot test with my tripod this time.

One change that i made,

Was going to my SilverScreen Mode on my Epson 9700 Projector.

Normally -2 tint and -2 on the Colour Sat is what i normally go with...

But as i started testing i realized that this type of Wall Paint really pushes colour..

So i had to dial the Tint the other way to counter Red Push and pulled back the Colour Sat to -6.. Something i am not use to doing

You got to keep in mind ,

this is a painted wall that was Rolled on by normal house painters.

There is nothing special about this paint.

This Paint is not a Screen Paint,

It has not been sprayed or Mixed its just wall paint...

Also Do check out the black detail ,

This is a 2:40 Film and the black bar is not washed out its black.

One Downfall to this is Light Scatter ,

I am not use to Light Scatter and i am in a smaller Room so you really notice the scatter.

Here is the shots....

First Colour Mode setting...

Now Adjusted Colour Mode...

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/20090003

Will post later the make of this wall paint later today....

Why the wait?

BTW, light scatter is indicative of a surface that has unity gain principles (1.0) and is not an issue for those who do not have closely adjoining walls of a light color (...or White)

Really though...to narrow down the search for a excellent "white paint" that does not present any push and keeps gain well above 1.0, one needs only to consider Sherwin Williams ProClassic Smooth Enamel Satin Finish.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/20090017

because its 4:39 am

and just because i cant sleep doesnt mean i want to wake everyone up.

the paint bucket is in my cold room...

1st off, I don't think the news will cause Trumpets to go off, nor Skyrockets to soar overhead.

I'd think you'd know it from memory...and in any case, iffin' your gonna post in the middle of the night, those who are frequenting your thread kinda deserve to know sooner than later.

Oh.... I'm not considering the fact that there is only me....

#14 ·
The Bottom Line from the Test...

If this was a dedicated room with Painted walls and controlled lighting this Paint would work very well as a screen paint,

It stood up and produced a very awesome Image...

The corners had the same level of brightness and blacks where black and not washed out...

Again you would need a dedicated theater room to counter the light scatter..(there was lots)

One thing i was shocked about was how this paint enhanced color saturation,

Its definitely a different calibration approach than what i am use to.

All in all I was very pleased with using this paint as a DIY Screen Solution

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa
One thing i was shocked about was how this paint enhanced color saturation,

Its definitely a different calibration approach than what i am use to.

All in all I was very pleased with using this paint as a DIY Screen Solution
OK...now you've got a good base to start with and add some Silver and Pearl and Poly, and start to realize what else exists "out there" that will go further to stretch your imagination and viewing potential further than you can imagine.

Drum Roll.........................please.

C'mon...it's fun...and educational too for Guys like you and me.

So imagine how much a positive gain light Gray surface might do....Hmmmmm? Shouldn't be too hard for someone with your experience.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 /forum/post/20100651

Fraisa

After comparing your painted wall with your BD screen are you saying there is no need to enhance the wall paint further as it is good enough as it is?

Looks really good from your pictures considering its nothing special.

Ya I really do think that,

after looking at my shots they look really good,

Whites are white and blacks are black.

If my target is for a dedicated room that has ambient light control I have an amazing Image...

That Pic Looks Really Really Good from V for Vendetta,

I have proper skin tones , blacks and whites.....

#18 ·
I'm glad you've discovered the amazing revelation that a decently painted white surface can perform with distinction in a dark room when using a nice bright 1080p Projector with excellent Contrast specifications.

Who'da ever thunk it possible?

Ok...just jerkin' yer cord a bit....but in actuality, those like yourself who are familiar with Mfg. Screens, and who have set both their standards and expectations around the "Cost to Performance" ratio such Screens possess, are almost always amazed at the results that come from DIY Screens....once they actually see 'em in action.

End users of Mfg. Screens can be a lot harder to convince...let alone sell them on that ideal. Pretty much easy to understand...no one who makes a decision to spend thousands want to learn...or be told that they overlooked a "just as good as but far less expensive" option.

The happiest Folks? Those who start out in the DIY Screen making Camp, and who stay there...enjoying...as well as evolving as time marches along.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20101206

I'm glad you've discovered the amazing revelation that a decently painted white surface can perform with distinction in a dark room when using a nice bright 1080p Projector with excellent Contrast specifications.

Who'da ever thunk it possible?

Ok...just jerkin' yer cord a bit....but in actuality, those like yourself who are familiar with Mfg. Screens, and who have set both their standards and expectations around the "Cost to Performance" ratio such Screens possess, are almost always amazed at the results that come from DIY Screens....once they actually see 'em in action.

End users of Mfg. Screens can be a lot harder to convince...let alone sell them on that ideal. Pretty much easy to understand...no one who makes a decision to spend thousands want to learn...or be told that they overlooked a "just as good as but far less expensive" option.

The happiest Folks? Those who start out in the DIY Screen making Camp, and who stay there...enjoying...as well as evolving as time marches along.

Just need to remember i am not using a white surface,

These walls are Taupe or Skin tone light Tan.

If i was using a white paint my blacks would be not black at all and my color saturation would not be as awesome in the shots above.

But as far as light scatter and ambient light viewing goes my DIY Screen Solution Totally Sucks.

Thats why I would need black Walls and Ceiling and Carpet to make this work,

To the quality level that i am use to.

Again if this was a dedicated theater Room with Controlled lighting My Painted Wall ( Nothing Special) would work,

So This Glidden Ultra Professional Interior is just another Option (No Mixing Required) in the DIY Paint Screen Realm and shouldn't be overlooked.......

#20 ·
No-one needs to convince anyone of anything as people (hopefully) will see/judge for themselves what is best for their own situation and make ones own mind up within a set budget.

Saying "this is better than that" does not make it so, i analyze the raw data (if available) first to see if its even worth a Demo, thats how i choose my BD the results it gives, compared to the rest, were way ahead of the competition and i would still pick the same today its THAT GOOD in my situation!!!

For example measured Gain Data results.....

Silver Fire 2 3oz has a gain of 0.91 dropping to 0.45 at 45 degrees after 3 weeks of drying.

Black Diamond II has a gain of 1.4 dropping to 0.7 at 44 degrees.

This tells me that the whites are duller for the lower gain example given.

Thanks to Fraisa`s Data this is one FREE option to tryout, until you go and checkout the real alternatives......

I would be grateful to fraisa if i was new to this hobby so thanks to him

for sharing his unbias results.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000
Thanks to Fraisa`s Data this is one FREE option to tryout, until you go and checkout the real alternatives......

I would be grateful to fraisa if i was new to this hobby so thanks to him

for sharing his unbias results.
Thanks for the nice comments...

As you can see in the previous V Screen Shot ,, That is a really Awesome Image...

Thread Results...

Total Thread Views 667

Total people replied 3....

#22 ·
Newbie Benefit

The one thing that stands out with this paint is Ease...

There is no Paint Formula needed..

IE little bit of this , add that , put in this..etc..

You also dont need a spray gun ...

Most simple way to make a screen would be a sheet of Smooth Board or go on wall,

Paint it , Make a border and Call it a day....

Totally Simple.

Easy for an entry level solution on a budget that delivers decent black levels.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/20121362

Newbie Benefit

The one thing that stands out with this paint is Ease...

There is no Paint Formula needed..

IE little bit of this , add that , put in this..etc..

You also dont need a spray gun ...

Most simple way to make a screen would be a sheet of Smooth Board or go on wall,

Paint it , Make a border and Call it a day....

Totally Simple.

Easy for an entry level solution on a budget that delivers decent black levels.

Do you like the paint enough to recommend the tan color and then adjust the PJ to taste?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside /forum/post/20122381

Do you like the paint enough to recommend the tan color and then adjust the PJ to taste?

This is decidedly "old School" stuff, and while the PJ can be calibrated to adjust for things to a degree, no one on the Planet is going to accept...let alone agree with the premise that a Tan Wall is something they want to consider when starting from scratch and deciding on what color/paint to use for a screen.

Well, there might be a few clueless, "under her thumb" Husbands sprinkled in there amongst the millions, but really...what might seem acceptable to frasia...on the weight of seeing such a good image when such was not expected...is not going to float with the general DIY Screen making community.

THAT is why they thread does not garner much response. Everyone is so "over" settling for trying to use an existing wall, let alone using a off color paint.

#25 ·

Quote:

That is just what he did and is amazed at the results.

Give it a try, what have you got to lose, an afternoon and a few dollars.....

Not a few dollars more..... then see the Good the Bad and the Ugly....

#26 ·

Quote:

Definitely the tan or Taupe color helps.

Then also you would adjust the projector to taste.

Thats what is shown above in the screen shots.

the Due Date screen shot clearly shows that the tan color gives an added color saturation element..

I just pulled that back on the vendetta shots...

and it really turned out Amazing...

Again not alot of effort or dollars to do this ...

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20122619

THAT is why they thread does not garner much response. Everyone is so "over" settling for trying to use an existing wall, let alone using a off color paint.

MM, you ought to know well enough that I garnished a LOADED question.
And pooey on you if you didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/20124973

Definitely the tan or Taupe color helps.

Then also you would adjust the projector to taste.

Thats what is shown above in the screen shots.

the Due Date screen shot clearly shows that the tan color gives an added color saturation element..

I just pulled that back on the vendetta shots...

and it really turned out Amazing...

Again not alot of effort or dollars to do this ...

How in the world can a tan wall help? I can't even fathom that someone would recommend this. If you're offering up to people to get the Glidden paint because and stating that this tan would be good in a dedicated HT setting?!?

I can't even begin to comment on your photos. If they are even relatively close, you're still out to lunch. You have a tan wall which is pushing brown (from the red side of things), your PJ's settings are 5500K which also leans heavily towards red. So you've had to reduce your color saturation to counteract to much red, which in turn has "flattened out" your other primaries. You've tried to compensate for that by bumping up your tint a hair. It's all over the place.

The reason your blacks look good is because you have a dark wall. Nothing else.

If someone wants to shoot an image on their wall simply because they are unmotivated to do something about then so be it. But to recommend a tan paint, when someone could just as well get a neutral or near neutral gray or white, because they are already at the big box store (since they were there on your recommendation to get the Glidden you chose) is ignorance at best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.