AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  glangford 
#1 ·
All things 110/210/310 here! Who has received theirs so far? What do you like? What could they improve? gogogo!

edit: my first impressions after a 30 minute test session:

Im a total noob when it comes to this 3d stuff and blu-ray players and whatnot, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I just got the BDT110 today, upgrading from a BDT100 that I only played with a couple times before selling it on ebay. The 100 was my first blu-ray, and this is my first experience with plasma technology and 3d technology. I got the Panasonic 50GT25 3d plasma just a couple weeks ago. This is just going to be a stream of consciousness of things I noticed in my quick 30 minute test drive...

Setup and updating the firmware was simple through my ethernet connection. I read a review on amazon where the dude said he wasn't able to do it over the internet and had to burn some iso disc to update his firmware and it was a big pain, but I had no such issues.

Right off the bat I started having quite a lot of handshake issues w/ my Onkyo receiver when switching back and forth between 2d and 2d-->3d conversion. When I'd switch, it would get a static screen, then a green screen, then it would go blank. Then, I'd hear only audio with a blank picture. "HDMI handshake" problems is the correct term for this, right? I'd have to restart everything and it kept happening--it was quite frustrating. I think there are firmware updates to fix this, correct? I don't think this ever happened with my BDT100. Any suggestions?

As far as the 2d-->3d conversion, it seems to do a better job converting a blu-ray than my 50GT25 does, so that's pretty neat. I tried it on Toy Story 3 blu-ray and it looked pretty cool. Not as good as a true 3d blu-ray naturally, but pretty neat nonetheless. I tried doing 2d-3d from Netflix content by pushing the "3d" button, but it nothing happened (or did it say "this feature not available"?). So I'm not sure if you can convert that content to 3d.

Another thing that may turn out cool is that you can put a vignette around the picture in 3d. Have you ever noticed how the edges on a 3d blu-ray can sometimes look real distracting how one eye will have the image off of the screen and the other eye the edge of the image will be on the screen? I'm sure there's a name for this but all i know is that it can really take away from the movie at times. Anyway, the 110 has an upgrade (from the 100) where you can put a black/gray/blue/red vignette around the edges so that edge artifact is nearly gone.

I'll have to play with the settings to get everything looking optimal, as there are so many damn things you can tweak (i.e., depth, .

The interface is really slick looking and seems intuitive. The Netflix upgrade from the 100 is great. You can now browse all titles, rather than just look at your instant queue and their suggestions. One thing that seems to be missing is that you can't browse just by HD content.

I tried burning an .mkv file of a blu-ray movie to a DVD-R and playing it, and although the resolution of the picture itself looked stellar, no audio was coming through and the video was really choppy, speeding up then slowing down. This is the first time I have ever burned any mkv files so it is distinctly possible that I did something wrong and this is of no fault of the player itself. Just throwing this out there...

A minor thing that kept pissing me off... When I'd put a movie in, I tried to press the "top menu" button to skip the previews and go right to the title menu of the movie, but it never seemed to work? I had to manually fast forward through previews and whatnot. I'm sure this is something I was doing wrong probably.

I'll update as I think of more things.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have two 110's arriving today. First things I'll be checking out are the 2d to 3d conversion and the 3d blu-ray performance as compared to my PS3. I'm curious because I've heard a few people mention that the PS3 has some flicker issues with some 3D blu-ray content that their standalone players don't have. We'll see though...

#3 ·
I bought the 210 last Thursday at my local Best Buy and so far I'm liking it. Booting and loading times are fast. I currently own a Sony S770 and I say is at least comparable with my Sony. Now, I haven't own a Panny BD player since the BD35/55 models so I don't know how it compares as far as speed to the older models. However, the only BD that has taken a loooooooooong time to load is the Terminator 2: Skynet Edtion. It takes at least 2 mins(Estimate) to load while my current S770 takes less than a min to load. However, The Panny does load the new Avatar Collector's edition BD quickly, probably in less than a min. But the Sony takes an eternity to load that disc. So go figure....everything else seems on par between the two players.

PQ and AQ are the same between the S770 and the Panny. At least to my eyes, I did not see any differences.

So, I am still debating which one to return. My Sony is still within the return window period. I like the Panny a lot, specially the slim factor, but the Sony seems better built and all of my other equipment is Sony as well, so I might just keep the Sony...

#4 ·
Have you, or any other owners, had a chance to check out the performance over USB? Is it truly limited to FAT16/32 formatted hard drives? Does it properly power portable hard drives? Finally, if someone could check out whether it will play back mkv off SD cards, that would be appreciated. Maybe a workaround to the FAT32 file size limits (4gb) would be exFAT formatted SD cards which can accommodate file sizes that exceed 4gb. Guessing those are a no go as well, but there's hope. . .

Thanks!

#6 ·
I have the DMP-BDT210 on order from big river. Looking forward to it.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for with regards to an SD card for this thing? size, speed class?

Thanks!

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcterp
I have two 110's arriving today. First things I'll be checking out are the 2d to 3d conversion and the 3d blu-ray performance as compared to my PS3. I'm curious because I've heard a few people mention that the PS3 has some flicker issues with some 3D blu-ray content that their standalone players don't have. We'll see though...
I was very impressed with 2D-3D last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy202022
Can anyone comment on up-conversion of the new Unipher chip ?
IIRC, the improvement may not affect SD, but the 85 did a good job last year IMO.

#9 ·
Have 110. Bought while waiting for 210 which is coming Friday, weeks faster than expected. Been using bd65 but wanted dlna for nas. Only tested that and it's great. Nice ui. Responds to same ir commands so didn't need programming for remote. Not sure why worry over smaller and lighter. Everything goes that way.

#10 ·
I picked up the new panasonic 210. I have had the panasonic 30, 60,65,80, and 85. there were some problems with the 60,65,80,85. it would not do the bdlive properly and would not load up discs or even not play some discs.

I know that many of you are not a fan of bdlive. with blu ray you expect everything to work. I have to say that the panasonic has finally caught up with the opp to a degree in that it more works then it doesnt. the bdlive works, playing the alien in DTS (dvd) with both versions work. loading up disc and trailers working on some universal and dreamwork blurays works. I would have to eject the disc to play bdlive to work(on the older models.). not anymore.

the PQ compared to the oppo. oppo still has the edge. same goes with the dvd upconversion. I am not saying that the upconversion is bad on the panasonic. its good. but not opo. a good start.

the big news is that the netflix is the 3.0 which is the same one as the ps3. it can play the DD+ and it will show up on the receiver. I have the onkyo 270. I got the DD+ to show up on a couple of titles.

I think panasonic finally has a good player that is less expensive then the oppo. but far ahead of the other companies.

I dont have a 3D set so I cannt compare that part of the player. I have heard good things about it.

enjoy.

Jacob

#18 ·
So do these now have Hulu+ on them? I read that they would but I see no mention of it on the Panasonic website.

Also one other question for those with the DMP-BDT210, can you turn OFF the touch sensor on the top? If I were to buy this, it would have a Wii and a cordless phone base sitting on top of it, so I wouldn;t want a person grabbing the phone to always open the player's disk tray.

Thanx

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV /forum/post/20090307

So do these now have Hulu+ on them? I read that they would but I see no mention of it on the Panasonic website.

Also one other question for those with the DMP-BDT210, can you turn OFF the touch sensor on the top? If I were to buy this, it would have a Wii and a cordless phone base sitting on top of it, so I wouldn;t want a person grabbing the phone to always open the player's disk tray.

Thanx

No Hulu and you can turn the sensor off. It is already defaulted to off.

#20 ·
Pretty sure I read you could turn off that feature in the settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV /forum/post/20090307

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/20087582

the big news is that the netflix is the 3.0 which is the same one as the ps3. it can play the DD+ and it will show up on the receiver. I have the onkyo 270. I got the DD+ to show up on a couple of titles.

I don't suppose you can tell if you are getting the Netflix 1080P stream or not, can you?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/20092693

yes. I am getting the 1080P netflix streaming.

there is setting called super resolution. its in the display advance settings. I would recommend turning it off. the dvd upconversion was terrible. looked much better with it off.

Jacob

Why would you have to up-convert a 1080p stream?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.