AVS Forum banner
56K views 125 replies 49 participants last post by  JMS44 
#1 ·
Since the 2011 Player was never manufactured.. its time for a new thread

Some info from British site

Denon have announced a new Blu-ray player, the DBP-2012UD, which in typical Denon fashion is labeled as a mid-range player, despite its £749 price tag in the UK. It promises to offer their usual high quality picture and audio.

The new Blu-ray player supports 3D discs, DVD, SACD and CD, plus it can playback DivX files via its USB port, and has DLNA support for wireless playback from a compatible device or network. On the audio front, you'll find 7.1 analogue outputs on the rear and it'll decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio too.

Inside, a handy 1GB of memory can be used for BD-Live features, while Anchor Bay's video processing technology and a high quality 192Khz/32-bit digital to analogue converter take care of the visual and audio department. Joining the analogue audio connectors on the rear panel is an RS232 port and a single v1.4 HDMI socket.

The DBP-2012UD really replaces the DBP-2010UD, as according to WhatHiF, ithe scheduled 2011UD never quite made it to market after it was announced last year. You'll be able to choose between a silver or black machine, and it goes on sale in March.

See less See more
#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/20095120

A week ago I was told that I would have mine from J&R Music World in two weeks, but now I see on the B&H Photo site that the est. release is now April. I'm going to call tomorrow to check on the status.

Called J&R this morning and my order has been pushed out "a minimum of two weeks". Which more than likely means in two weeks when I call, they'll tell me it will be another two weeks.

If this goes past April, I may just cancel my order and go for DBP-4010.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwobbrock /forum/post/20095495

decoded in the Oppo and sent to the Denon AVR as PCM, AL24 processing is done in the Denon. The AL24 processing and "Pure Direct" mode gives me highest quality sound, and is much better than trying to use the MCH analog out of the 3930. I am glad I found how to best use my Denon AVR

thanks, I forget which Denon AVR model are you using?

#32 ·
Yup. The crutchfield website shows a release of 4/8/11 for the sister Marantz player, and B&H Photo shows "April" for the Denon. So at least there is some consistency in the dates being published currently.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH5200 /forum/post/20189841

I have a 2012UD on order with Audio T in Bristol (bought it at the Bristol show).

I'm being told now that it should be in on the 7th or the 15th April !!

Been waiting a long time for this one !

Ditto, I ordered mine from the show as well. I was also told today that it would be sometime in April.

Ian.

#36 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd4959
Noticed the manual is now available in Denon's US website. Also showing an $899.99 list price.
That's a good sign!

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d /forum/post/20260078

They said March, then they said April.. well ? I give up.. i am going back to VHS.

well actually it was first August 2010, then Oct, then Late Dec, then Jan then Feb, then March.

A few units might have hit the shores of North America already, but not in any major quantity.

Eitherway stick with Laserdisk, it had a better picture quality than VHS, remember the higher end Pioneer units in the 1995-96 range were stating 425 lines of resolution!!

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH5200 /forum/post/20189841

I have a 2012UD on order with Audio T in Bristol (bought it at the Bristol show).

I'm being told now that it should be in on the 7th or the 15th April !!

Been waiting a long time for this one !
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW555 /forum/post/20236904

Ditto, I ordered mine from the show as well. I was also told today that it would be sometime in April.

Ian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW555 /forum/post/20305217

Happy flippin' days, mine is at the dealers!!!!!

Going to pickup tomorrow.

Ian.

Bruce and Ian:

Just wanna confirm that you guys are in the UK? And you're referring to Sound & Vision's Bristol Show ?

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S /forum/post/20305299

Bruce and Ian:

Just wanna confirm that you guys are in the UK? And you're referring to Sound & Vision's Bristol Show?

Yes.

Now taking prize position in rack.

Straight of of the box, the player is at least as good as my Pioneer LX71 it replaces. I still have not had a chance to run through an optimizer.

Does anyone know of a blu-ray that carries the THX optimizer?

Ian.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW555 /forum/post/20319912

Yes.

Straight of of the box, the player is at least as good as my Pioneer LX71 it replaces. I still have not had a chance to run through an optimizer.

Ian.

Is the fascia like the higher end denon avrs and the 2010? from the picture it looks like the same plastic on the 1611 (and 1610).

Now that Denon has refreshed the look of their receivers without the ci lip on the top of the fascia, I wonder if they 1612 is too far behind.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW555 /forum/post/20319912

Yes.

Ian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/20320191

Is the fascia like the higher end denon avrs and the 2010? from the picture it looks like the same plastic on the 1611 (and 1610).

Now that Denon has refreshed the look of their receivers without the ci lip on the top of the fascia, I wonder if they 1612 is too far behind.

I'd also like to know if the face of the 2012 is plastic or metal. I would think it should be metal based on the price, but from the pic Ian posted it looks like it might be plastic?

#46 ·
I called Denon USA and they confirmed that the face of the 2012 is plastic, which is surprising given the $200 premium of this player over the last gen 2010 player that did have a metal face. This just isn't the build quality I would expect from a player at this price.

You can also see in this close-up shot of the 2012, that the face is smooth rather than brushed as it would be if it were metal:
http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/denon/1...p2012udlrg.jpg

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/20326281

I called Denon USA and they confirmed that the face of the 2012 is plastic, which is surprising given the $200 premium of this player over the last gen 2010 player that did have a metal face. This just isn't the build quality I would expect from a player at this price.

I think this whole Denon DBP-2011/2012 is nothing but a farce, not worthy of a company like Denon (or at least what Denon used to be...)

I planned to buy a 2011 in september 2010, and then the whole circus started...

In the end, Denon Germany said it was going to hit the shelves in March for €799, it didn't happen of course
but they did INCREASE the price by €50 !

I guess the international price of plastic went up because of increasing oil prices ?
Also, since they are using nearly 1 year old technology and components, they should have DECREASED the price of this DBP-2011 clone !

I've been long time mad because all of this (the 2011 was going to be my first blu-ray player after having the Denon DVD-3910 for over 6 years ! So imagine my impatience
), but now I say: thank you Denon ! Last week I bought the Oppo 95EU for merely €150 more, a truly impressive player with which I honnestly don't think the 2012 will be able to compete. Build (no plastic face
), picture, sound, specs, support, firmware updates...

Pity, because I was happy with my DVD-3910 (apart from some quibbles that is), but I am afraid that I am done with Denon...

#48 ·

Quote:

You can also see in this close-up shot of the 2012, that the face is smooth rather than brushed as it would be if it were metal:
http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/denon/1...p2012udlrg.jpg

I double checked with Denon about the construction of the 2012, and this time I was told that it will have a metal face. Hard to know the truth until someone gets one of them in hand.

IanW55 - What's the verdict on the face of this player? Metal or plastic?

#49 ·

Quote:

You can also see in this close-up shot of the 2012, that the face is smooth rather than brushed as it would be if it were metal

really hard to tell from that image, it seems to be "cosmetically" enhanced (PhotoShop, etc.,...). The front-plate texture is hi-lited to provide a clean, uniform, complexion, it could be aluminum or plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdys /forum/post/20326433

I think this whole Denon DBP-2011/2012 is nothing but a farce, not worthy of a company like Denon (or at least what Denon used to be...)

Since they are using nearly 1 year old technology and components, they should have DECREASED the price of this DBP-2011 clone !

I've been long time mad because all of this (the 2011 was going to be my first blu-ray player after having the Denon DVD-3910 for over 6 years ! So imagine my impatience
), but now I say: thank you Denon ! Last week I bought the Oppo 95EU for merely €150 more, a truly impressive player with which I honnestly don't think the 2012 will be able to compete. Build (no plastic face
), picture, sound, specs, support, firmware updates...

Pity, because I was happy with my DVD-3910 (apart from some quibbles that is), but I am afraid that I am done with Denon...

Denon has dissapointed me a few times, but I still love their products (at least their players and AVR's). They really do know how to design very good-sounding (universal) players.

I own, both, the DVD-3930CI and DVD-3800BDCI universal DVD and BD players. Both perform very well respectively, exceptional video and sound quality all the way around. Beautifully designed inside-out. However upon purchasing both products, after maybe two months use, I experienced failures (mostly laser failures, freezing/skipping while playing music disc's, etc.,...). I had to return both units to factory, Denon was real good about repair/handling costs. Both have oeprated very well since (although my DVD-3930CI has been back to factory for laser failure two additional times @$350.00 a-pop).

I believe a lot of these recent product failures and delays are related to modern-day China-based production logistics. Producing quantities of these items get very complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/20337004

I double checked with Denon about the construction of the 2012, and this time I was told that it will have a metal face. Hard to know the truth until someone gets one of them in hand. Metal or plastic?

I wanna bet this unit will have metal face at that price (I hope). I think this player will be good as advertised. Denon will come around............

Seems this new player is unique, it has "morphed" from it's initial product development reality (as the DBP-2011UDCI) to it's current soon-to-be-released reality (as the DBP-2012UDCI). I think this is partly due to the fact that this model, more than ever, is a complete "product-sharing" development between Denon and Marantz (UD7006). Both share (as far as I understand) complete similiar design and functionality. Only uniqueness are their front-panels. As far as I know this [complete] product-sharing reality has been aparent only recently (maybe the last year or so specific model releases of particular AVR and player models).

I'm a new owner of a Marantz AV7005 processor, it's a great performer for the price ($1500.00 retail). The front panel has an aluminum face with plastic "ear" piece's on each side providing that current Marantz industrial design style. While it does look good I thought this was cheesy, but can care-less at this point. It seems the UD7006 model will most-likely "partner" with the AV7005 (and a few other Marantz AVR models) once it is released.

I noticed Crutchfield has now listed the UD7006 release for June 3, 2011
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_642UD70...d7006&skipvs=T

I was waiting for the Marantz UD7006 release, however I purchased an Oppo BDP-95 universal player and Sony SCD-XA5400ES dedicated CD/SACD player instead (both for a total cost of $2100.00)

#50 ·

Quote:

Just bought the 2012 yesterday. I can confirm that the front is plastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.