AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic HDC-TM900 Owners Thread

180K views 1K replies 157 participants last post by  philtill@Lcom.net 
#1 ·
Tips and tricks on the tm900.

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/20158787

Hi Ken, I've not had any stuttering from any clips from the TM700, TM900 or CX560 when played on my PS3. I think you might have a setting off on your PS3.

I have no idea what's wrong with Vimeo that you can't upload to it. I'd test out mine but it's slated for delievery sometime Friday.

What model of the PS3 do you have Steve? Is it the older style fatter one, or a newer slim model?

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/0

Better low light and stabilization with the Sony. Most likely better outdoor quality with the Panny. I really can't positively comment on the Sony's outdoor quality yet as I have not seen enough native footage from that cam. What I have seen does look good though.

Hold on now. I saw no evidence that the OIS of the Sony was better than the 900. The low light yes, the OIS no. Good light PQ of the 900 was, IMO, definitely better from a sharpness, detail and color standpoint. That, to my eyes, was the biggest difference.

#57 ·
Does anyone find it odd that the CCI review had identical resolution #s for the 700 @ 900, yet they found the 900 was slightly less sharp? Now granted, technically, sharpness and resolution can mean two different things, but I wonder if that's what they meant. Of course the difference could easily be attributed to nothing more than sample to sample variation.

#58 ·
I have also just noticed that when I play the clips out of the 900 it plays really smooth but when it's playing out of the ps3 it looks good but it's shakes like I didn't have on ois. It's might be a setting in ps3, I did the new update and that's when I noticed it, the update took for ever in my crap Internet service.

#59 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
Hold on now. I saw no evidence that the OIS of the Sony was better than the 900. The low light yes, the OIS no. Good light PQ of the 900 was, IMO, definitely better from a sharpness, detail and color standpoint. That, to my eyes, was the biggest difference.
Just speculating Ken. CCi states no difference in OIS from last years model. I don't know why because Panasonic states otherwise. If that is true, the Sony has better OIS. We all know the OIS on the Sony was the best last year. And from djandrea's posted videos it looks like it has not changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu
I have the older Fat model with 160GB

HDD.
Thanks, that's interesting. I have a slim and fat, but the fat is broken due to YLOD. I was wondering why some report their PS3's play the high bitrate files with no issues and some do. My slim has issues with them if the bitrate goes above 33 to 34 Mbps. Maybe it is just the slim models that can't handle the higher bitrate files?

They did put redesigned cell processors in the slim units. I'm thinking that they might not be up to par as the original cell processor. I'm curious because it seems Ken has issues and so do I, and we both have slim models. I'm sure you will report your findings with your fat, so that would take us a step further as to what might be causing the issue. It certainly could be the newer processors.

I might get my fat fixed just so I can test files myself at some point.

#60 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham
Just speculating Ken. CCi states no difference in OIS from last years model. I don't know why because Panasonic states otherwise. If that is true, the Sony has better OIS. We all know the OIS on the Sony was the best last year. And from djandrea's posted videos it looks like it has not changed.
Actually, if you look at Mark's 900 clips, it does look like it's improved from the 700. Remember that Panasonic is using a hybrid OIS this year and that's new. In my handling of the two, I saw little difference. If there is one, it can't be too great.

#61 ·
Workinghard compared the SDX1 with the hybrid stabilizer against the SD600 and he did say that the stabilizer of the SDX1 was noticeably improved. Hopefully he'll chime in and elaborate more.

This is why I feel real world tests are very important rather than just coming to conclusions only based on camcorderinfo.com.

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/20161894

Workinghard compared the SDX1 with the hybrid stabilizer against the SD600 and he did say that the stabilizer of the SDX1 was noticeably improved. Hopefully he'll chime in and elaborate more.

This is why I feel real world tests are very important rather than just coming to conclusions only based on camcorderinfo.com.

Well, I did test the two and compare the stabilizers, but unfortunately once I saw the difference in color reproduction, sharpness and contrast I quit comparing them so closely.

I will tell you though, looking back at my old footage I notice a bit more wobble in my sd600 footage. In addition, I was absolutely able to hold the camcorder MUCH more stable at max zoom with OIS LOCK on the SDX1. This surprised me given how tiny the camcorder is. I dont really feel that the normal stabilizer was significantly different, but I do miss the OIS Lock. I keep wanting to push it and am always missing how rock solid the stabilizer was with it.

Now, the OIS Lock did jump from position to position when the wobble exceeded its ability to compensate, but it was much better than shaky video. I have never seen that type of jumpy "floating" movement (which aided in such rock solid video under most conditions and really demonstrated how well the OIS was working) on my sd600. However, while it def made more stable video, it is not worth 300 dollars
, as the 600/700 does a good job as well... unless you have a really nice job anyway.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/20161360

Does anyone find it odd that the CCI review had identical resolution #s for the 700 @ 900, yet they found the 900 was slightly less sharp? Now granted, technically, sharpness and resolution can mean two different things, but I wonder if that's what they meant. Of course the difference could easily be attributed to nothing more than sample to sample variation.

I thought this was a result of the autofocus causing the image to be out of focus?

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/20161673

Thanks, that's interesting. I have a slim and fat, but the fat is broken due to YLOD. I was wondering why some report their PS3's play the high bitrate files with no issues and some do. My slim has issues with them if the bitrate goes above 33 to 34 Mbps. Maybe it is just the slim models that can't handle the higher bitrate files?

They did put redesigned cell processors in the slim units. I'm thinking that they might not be up to par as the original cell processor. I'm curious because it seems Ken has issues and so do I, and we both have slim models. I'm sure you will report your findings with your fat, so that would take us a step further as to what might be causing the issue. It certainly could be the newer processors.

I might get my fat fixed just so I can test files myself at some point.

I also think it's very strange that they say the OIS is the same yet Panasonic states otherwise. Marketing pretty much runs with what they've got.

I will test my Fat PS3 and see how it works. I suppose I could shoot a 30 sec clip of something and see if it works ok for me and upload it and allow the raw file on Vimeo and see if the slim PS3's have any problems. I don't know anyone who has a PS3 slim that I can use to test it with.

#66 ·
I received my tm900 on march 2 from b&h. After using it for a while I noticed there is a stuck or dead pixel on the LCD screen. Should I contact b&h about this? Or leave it alone. It just kind of bothers me but I don't know what their policy is on it. Also when I tilt the camera from front to back when it is off It sounds like there is a very loose piece inside. Is this just the OIS? Or is it something more. It's quite loud.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/0

I also think it's very strange that they say the OIS is the same yet Panasonic states otherwise. Marketing pretty much runs with what they've got.

I will test my Fat PS3 and see how it works. I suppose I could shoot a 30 sec clip of something and see if it works ok for me and upload it and allow the raw file on Vimeo and see if the slim PS3's have any problems. I don't know anyone who has a PS3 slim that I can use to test it with.

Steve, I think the software versions also impacted how well 1080p played on the PS3, even within a given model. So you can have a few permutations beyond fat and slim.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntomk /forum/post/0

I received my tm900 on march 2 from b&h. After using it for a while I noticed there is a stuck or dead pixel on the LCD screen. Should I contact b&h about this? Or leave it alone. It just kind of bothers me but I don't know what their policy is on it. Also when I tilt the camera from front to back when it is off It sounds like there is a very loose piece inside. Is this just the OIS? Or is it something more. It's quite loud.

The loose piece is the OIS. This question comes up frequently from camera to camera.

As long as the dead pixel is just the LCD and not the imager, you're fine. I don't think I'd bother exchanging it. Most manufacturers state that 99.9% (or something close to that) of the pixels will be fine and thus 1 or 2 dead pixels is considered within tolerance.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djandrea /forum/post/20162176

I can assure you that is improved! is much more stable .... even at full zoom!

Interesting...thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/20162337

I don't know if the problem with my PS3 would show up in a 30 second clip, it might, might not. It seems to happen mostly when there is alot going on in the footage (moving objects)- cars going by, basketball players running, etc..which makes the bitrate spike to a 34 to 35 Mbps rate.

In markr041's 10 minute 900 clips, I might experience the problem 5 or so times. But once it starts it will not recover unless I pause it on the PS3.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/20162944

Interesting...thanks.

I don't know if the problem with my PS3 would show up in a 30 second clip, it might, might not. It seems to happen mostly when there is alot going on in the footage (moving objects)- cars going by, basketball players running, etc..which makes the bitrate spike to a 34 to 35 Mbps rate.

In markr041's 10 minute 900 clips, I might experience the problem 5 or so times. But once it starts it will not recover unless I pause it on the PS3.

So about how long a clip would it take to show up the problem?

I can try and take a vid that is really busy and see if that helps. My upload speeds are awful so to upload a 1GB file would probably take all night.

The vid with the basketball players didn't cause a crash/freeze for me. I'll have to try something once I get the camera on Friday.

#71 ·
My TM900 was just delivered. I also have a Sony CX700 that should be delivered at some point this afternoon. I wasn't planning on opening the Sony, just RMAing it. But if anybody wants side by side comparisons of the two I can unbox the Sony and do a few things. Explicit directions would have to be given as I have no idea of what to do to get the most accurate results. I also have blue sky right now, but the way the weather has been here, that could change at any time.

#76 ·
I noticed this, so I called up Panasonic and spoke to one of their customer service reps. They said they are doing a web update and that it is available for purchase through the website.

I also asked about when the batteries will be available and they said they currently have no information about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.