AVS Forum banner

Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK*

445K views 3K replies 476 participants last post by  heavyness 
#1 ·
Just got my Samsung PN50C550 on Wednesday. Set looks amazing especially going from an 11 year old 32" RCA CRT to this High Def Beauty. I am still in the break in period but even with everything turned down the set looks incredible (Battle Field Bad Company 2, I think I wet my self). I would also Like to report that I have "NO BUZZING"

Let me know any settings I need to change or check and also any other questions you may have about the set. Keep it simple though I'm an HD Noob.

#2,480 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardedboy /forum/post/20152090

I had the Vizio xvt553sv (actually, I had two in two weeks). That tv was a total nightmare. Horrible blooming in dark scenes, TV would lock up on me and I would have to do hard starts, compatibility problems with HDMI on coldstarts. It was just an absolute nightmare. I thought I got a bad one so took it to store and they replaced it...second one had same problems. Maybe they fixed the problems with the 554, but the 553 was a major headache. Check out Amazon for the 553, it shows the average has great reviews.....but look at the most recent reviews (the last four pages of reviews) for the tv...IMO Vizio played panel lottery with the new manufactured ones...people are now getting junk. Again, Just my opinion.

I did read the reviews on the 553, I didn't see people having the same problems on the 554. Maybe the bloomings but not much else. I am pretty much stuck with mine when it comes in tomorrow because I bought it used. Maybe they did fix the problems with the 554. I was going to get the Toshiba 55" 3D TV from amazon but they were showing 67 used sets being sold, that means a lot of people seem to be unhappy with them. I was going to perhaps spend $1900 and get the 55C8000 but I decided to save myself $600 and get the 554. I will see how the C550 and the 554 face against each other when they are side by side. I will post back.

#2,482 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic /forum/post/20140213

3D on an entry level tv
our tvs suck
just kidding. 3D doesn't interest me, but that is impressive that it's coming out on some cheaper models. That really the only way to get the masses on board.

I am curious what you consider "entry level"? Less than $2000? It always amuses me that people slam other people by claiming the TV's they just bought are "entry level". $1000-$2000 is considerable amount of money for most people to put into just a TV. What even gets me more, is that once a TV that retailed for $3000, goes on clearance for $1000, you have people calling it "entry-level". Yeah right...

So my PN58C550 is "entry-level". So what? It's not like a lot of people have a lot of options in retail store like Best Buy. They only carry the lower priced models, and most people don't know there are other models available. Anyway, most people don't care because there is little difference in picture quality, just added features on the higher priced models. There is a point of diminishing returns on picture quality vs price.

#2,483 ·
It's the second from the bottom model from Samsung. That's entry level. The screen size doesn't have anything to do with it. I have a 50". You have a 58". You paid more but they're both entry level. If someone has a LN40C8000 that is smaller but not entry level because it's Samsungs higher LCD. Not bashing your tv dude. 3D only came on the high end models last year. That's all.

#2,486 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyetroop /forum/post/0

I've had my 58C550 for about a month. Lost all sound on both the DTV feed and antenna. Did all the resets and still no sound. Scheduled a warranty service call. Wife unplugged tv and when she plugged it back in an hour later the sound was back and seems fine. Anyone have same issue?

Yes. Just a couple days ago I had no sound. Turned it off then on and the sound was back. I'm concerned it'll happen again and I've owned the tv for about 11.5 months
Good thing I have an extended warranty.

Btw. It still gave sound through the optical out to my receiver. I just don't want to use my receiver ALL the time.

#2,487 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskathy /forum/post/20155125

Hello just picked up a Samsung PN58C550. Have a couple of questions.

1: should I use the burn in DVD

2: should I do the service menu trick to upgrade to a C590

3: how do I enter the service menu trick

1: No, it's not needed. Just use your TV normally and be happy. Just avoid letting a static image on-screen for a very long time. Not using "Vivid" mode and turning down cell brightness to around (15) and then calibrating the tv with a calibration disc will also help with IR/Burn-in. I have no hint of IR on mine, and I game all the time on it too with static HUD's displaying on it. Just make sure game consoles and the tv screensaver functions are turned on.

2: This is at your own risk, and basically not needed as CinemaSmooth is not all that great. Just let your Blu-ray player do the frame rate conversion.

3: Not needed, see #2.

#2,489 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskathy /forum/post/20155125

Hello just picked up a Samsung PN58C550. Have a couple of questions.

1: should I use the burn in DVD

2: should I do the service menu trick to upgrade to a C590

3: how do I enter the service menu trick

I have a suggestion to a first timer (welcome BTW), this thread is full of a lot of great information, reading will answer the three questions you ask, with details that will help you not only understand the set you bought way better, but also exactly how to do each...

#2,490 ·
ok...I finally have around 200 hours on my 58" 550

Now it's time to calibrate (I have no calibration disc)

I have my tv in a dark basement with no windows, so with that scenario what calibration is looking the best to most. I haven't touched my calibrations and so far I dig the movie mode the best on factory presets.

Thanks in advance

#2,492 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon /forum/post/20152848

I am curious what you consider "entry level"? Less than $2000? It always amuses me that people slam other people by claiming the TV's they just bought are "entry level". $1000-$2000 is considerable amount of money for most people to put into just a TV. What even gets me more, is that once a TV that retailed for $3000, goes on clearance for $1000, you have people calling it "entry-level". Yeah right...

So my PN58C550 is "entry-level". So what? It's not like a lot of people have a lot of options in retail store like Best Buy. They only carry the lower priced models, and most people don't know there are other models available. Anyway, most people don't care because there is little difference in picture quality, just added features on the higher priced models. There is a point of diminishing returns on picture quality vs price.

Size and cost isn't the issue. It's the model # that determines if it's "entry-level". C550 was the "entry-level" Samsung 1080p. I have a PN63c550. Regardless of size, it's still their "entry-level" 1080p. It's a lower model than the significantly smaller PN50c7000.

Does that bother me? No. I like bang for the buck and the c550 series delivers and at a lower cost than the higher end models. That's all that matters to me.

#2,493 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 /forum/post/20163189

Size and cost isn't the issue. It's the model # that determines if it's "entry-level". C550 was the "entry-level" Samsung 1080p. I have a PN63c550. Regardless of size, it's still their "entry-level" 1080p. It's a lower model than the significantly smaller PN50c7000.

Does that bother me? No. I like bang for the buck and the c550 series delivers and at a lower cost than the higher end models. That's all that matters to me.

Exactly.....The best bang for your buck Flat Panel of 2010, hands down!

#2,494 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardedboy /forum/post/20159352

ok...I finally have around 200 hours on my 58" 550

Now it's time to calibrate (I have no calibration disc)

I have my tv in a dark basement with no windows, so with that scenario what calibration is looking the best to most. I haven't touched my calibrations and so far I dig the movie mode the best on factory presets.

Thanks in advance

4 Pages covering just about every seeting you may be interested in!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243570

#2,495 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 /forum/post/20163189

Yes the model# I understand, but no one ever explains what the "real" difference is between the models that incurs extra cost. People mention software features like "CinemaSmooth", but really anything in the FW or software is negligible in cost for the manufacturer to add. They flip a bit in the firmware and turn that feature on for certain models. There is nothing physically worth $1000+ more on the higher-end models.

I understand the panels go through a screening process and there are several grades (Grades A,B,C). But really, is there that much of a difference in plasma panels to warrant paying for the top-of-the-line of the same size? It's not like the old CRT days, where they came in nice wood cabinets and you paid extra for the nicer cabinetry work. If they added better internal parts to the higher-priced tv's then I would understand. Anyone remember when CD players came out, and then Pioneer introduced it's 1-bit D/A converter and better mechanical transports? Well, we all know where that technology went, down the drain...Even though 1-bit D/A was superior, they went back to using 16-bit D/A and junky disc transports.

#2,497 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon /forum/post/0

Yes the model# I understand, but no one ever explains what the "real" difference is between the models that incurs extra cost. People mention software features like "CinemaSmooth", but really anything in the FW or software is negligible in cost for the manufacturer to add. They flip a bit in the firmware and turn that feature on for certain models. There is nothing physically worth $1000+ more on the higher-end models.

I understand the panels go through a screening process and there are several grades (Grades A,B,C). But really, is there that much of a difference in plasma panels to warrant paying for the top-of-the-line of the same size? It's not like the old CRT days, where they came in nice wood cabinets and you paid extra for the nicer cabinetry work. If they added better internal parts to the higher-priced tv's then I would understand. Anyone remember when CD players came out, and then Pioneer introduced it's 1-bit D/A converter and better mechanical transports? Well, we all know where that technology went, down the drain...Even though 1-bit D/A was superior, they went back to using 16-bit D/A and junky disc transports.

I suppose you don't consider development cost as something we should pay for. 3D costs more and comes on high end models. 3D sales have been slow so they're obviously trying to get it out there into entry level sets.

Anyways, back on topic. Anybody notice black levels changing on them? I notice the crackers things with this buggy tv. On 2.35:1 content, sometimes the black bars will lighten momentarily, then drop back down. I'm sure it's in the picture as well, just most noticeable on black bars.

#2,498 ·
Got my new pn50c550 brand new here. Feel like I got a very good price for end of the line model. Upgrading from 32" sharp LCD the difference is huge... I got the "OMG this TV is too big" but this feeling will fade with time!

With 3 days of use I have noticed 0 burn-in or IR. Very happy with this plasma tech. I have the slight humming noise but cannot hear it from where i'm sitting. Flashed to lastest firmware and used the settings posted in this thread to find the sweet spot in calibration.

Is it normal to notice some greenish pixels noise on black parts of the pictures?

Can't notice it from normal viewing distance, however when I stick my face near the screen I can see it, even with blu-ray and hdmi...

#2,499 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philgag /forum/post/0

Is it normal to notice some greenish pixels noise on black parts of the pictures?

Can't notice it from normal viewing distance, however when I stick my face near the screen I can see it, even with blu-ray and hdmi...

these sets do have some natural noise to the picture. However, what you are seeing may be from the source and the tv. Even blu ray captures grain and noise as part of the source.

#2,500 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philgag /forum/post/0

Got my new pn50c550 brand new here. Feel like I got a very good price for end of the line model. Upgrading from 32" sharp LCD the difference is huge... I got the "OMG this TV is too big" but this feeling will fade with time!

With 3 days of use I have noticed 0 burn-in or IR. Very happy with this plasma tech. I have the slight humming noise but cannot hear it from where i'm sitting. Flashed to lastest firmware and used the settings posted in this thread to find the sweet spot in calibration.

Get an image on your screen that shows the green noise and get close to your tv. Then, start turning your brightness down notch by notch. You will see the green fuzzies start to vanish until they are all gone. Depending on the P.mode you are in (movie etc) it should be in the low 50s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.