AVS Forum banner

Best Bookshelf Pair for $800

7K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  kesando 
#1 ·
OK - it's been several months since the last 'best bookshelf for $xxx" thread and I did read some of the more recent posts. Hope some of you will help me out. I am putting together a new 2.1 system in my basement as follows: Outlaw Audio RR2150 Receiver, sub, and pair of bookshelf speakers. I need some suggestions on the bookshelf speakers. Prefer to put my money towards sound versus asthetics so don't care about the cabinets - flat black is fine. My first priority is accurate music reproduction but I will also want them to play loud occassionaly. Lastly this will be a family system so I want something durable in case my kids really crank it(which they will do).

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub /forum/post/20179187

i'm considering giving those jamos a listen. couple of questions: does anyone know how they would compare with the infinity primus? i currently have primus 360's. also, my receiver is a denon 1610 rated at 75 wpc. will it be able to drive the jamos?

The 1610 should drive the C803s adequately at moderate listening levels. Higher levels may be a challenge. Seems like a high current 100W+ 2CH amp would be a better choice. Go to the Jamo owners thread to see what others are using to drive C803s.

Wish I had listening experience with the C803s. I've owned Primus 360s some time ago. They were a rather unremarkable speaker. On paper, the C803s should be musically quite an improvement. Maybe you'll find a comparison in the Jamo thread also. Send a PM to kesando as he owns the C803s.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20178612

Yeah, not the most efficient but when given power, they can go LOUD and clear for HT. I run mine with a 200wpc external amp and they sing and never distort or sound harsh

Just so I know what you mean by 'power,' and 'loud,' what sort of SPL do you get from them? Do you listen near reference?

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron /forum/post/20182826

Just so I know what you mean by 'power,' and 'loud,' what sort of SPL do you get from them? Do you listen near reference?

I have played them at reference with movies and near reference with music. They have never sounded harsh with vocals, instruments or movie sound effects. They are a bit warm compared to say Klipsh or paradigm at low volume but open up at louder volumes.

I'm running them through an ELITE VSX33 AVR and emotiva XPA 3 giving them about 250 per channel at 6ohm. Half the power would be enough though. Auto calibration has the C803s at -4.5 and crossed at 80hz set to small. They can be ran large and can play down to 50-60hz though I wouldn't push them to reference set that way. My dual SVS's hande the bottom end just fine.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron /forum/post/20182826

Judging by its specs, it doesn't seem to capable of reproducing reference levels beyond about 5'. And that's taking its 250 short term max power rating into account with no power compression(which isn't possible for any speaker).

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/20183277

Judging by its specs, it doesn't seem to capable of reproducing reference levels beyond about 5'. And that's taking its 250 short term max power rating into account with no power compression(which isn't possible for any speaker).

could be possible. I sit about 7 feet from them in a 2500 cu ft living area (1 bedroom apt). I suspect the C805-809 would be better for larger areas or a farther distance over 10ft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.