AVS Forum banner
445K views 2K replies 406 participants last post by  ericemartin 
#1 ·
I may not have one just yet (waiting to see what deals come out in the coming months on Amazon) but I will keep this first post updated with any relevant info and picture settings that are solid starting points for self calibration of your personal units once they are made.

So owners, share some pictures, settings, stories, and any flaws you find, lets get the discussion flowing.

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforza /forum/post/0

im running break in slides from: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post6230381

using settings:

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 0

Color: +20

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 0

I'm really not experienced with this, anyone have any input on alternate settings?

I also changed the pixel shift to 1 min

I set my cell and contrast to maximum and left everything the way it was for running my slides.

#29 ·
I placed an order for the 64 inch with Vanns, it was a tv+2 glasses bundle.

The tv should be here on the 28th and I will post pics and impressions.

I sold a 55LH90 to my sister so I could get a 3d tv, in the mean time I have been using my 50 inch plasma in the living room and no tv in the bedroom.

I am both excited about a significantly bigger 3d tv and because me and the gf will not have to watch the same thing due to having only one tv in the house.

I did grow to like Jersey Shore, Paully D is my boy.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20189587

I placed an order for the 64 inch with Vanns, it was a tv+2 glasses bundle.

The tv should be here on the 28th and I will post pics and impressions.

I sold a 55LH90 to my sister so I could get a 3d tv, in the mean time I have been using my 50 inch plasma in the living room and no tv in the bedroom.

I am both excited about a significantly bigger 3d tv and because me and the gf will not have to watch the same thing due to having only one tv in the house.

I did grow to like Jersey Shore, Paully D is my boy.

"T-Shirt Time!!!!"

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy /forum/post/20191397

I'm confused by the 60hz listing on most websites for this TV, I have even looked at the E-Manual on the TV and it says 60hz

Whats the confusion? Did you think it should be 600? Thats just marketing fluff.

Gotta say goodbye to my fellow 550 owners

Just got it back to sears. The glare was a killer for me, hello ST30!!

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/20191906

Whats the confusTheion? Did you think it should be 600? Thats just marketing fluff.

I understand that, but why this TV and why now? The 450/490 are listed as 600Hz, I guess maybe as a justification of price, or rather a justification of the price of TV's up market.

I've been doing research for a buddy who really wants 3D and likes this TV but I haven't seen one in person and without a listing on samsung's website there is a lot of conflicting figures.

Some sites say this TV is 720, some says it has 2 HDMI some 4 HDMI, Some have the pictures of a different TV.

I am under the impression that the 50D550C1 is 1080/60Hz/2 HDMI/ Uses the new Bluetooth glasses.

Please correct any of my assumptions and if anyone knows does the TV convert 2D to 3D, I have never been impressed with this feature but I didn't ask my buddy if he cared.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy /forum/post/20192065

I understand that, but why this TV and why now? The 450/490 are listed as 600Hz, I guess maybe as a justification of price, or rather a justification of the price of TV's up market.

I've been doing research for a buddy who really wants 3D and likes this TV but I haven't seen one in person and without a listing on samsung's website there is a lot of conflicting figures.

Some sites say this TV is 720, some says it has 2 HDMI some 4 HDMI, Some have the pictures of a different TV.

I am under the impression that the 50D550C1 is 1080/60Hz/2 HDMI/ Uses the new Bluetooth glasses.

Please correct any of my assumptions and if anyone knows does the TV convert 2D to 3D, I have never been impressed with this feature but I didn't ask my buddy if he cared.

Yes it is 1080p/60hz/3d. It said right on my box 600hz, so they are still using that. I think it had 4 hdmi inputs and it does use the new 3d glasses. And yes it can also convert 2d to 3d. Not sure what the C1 is that you put behind the model number.

Outside the US? Just make sure your buddy doesn't have a lot of windows. Or any for that matter imo as the tv seems to have little to no anti reflective coating.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/20192106

Yes it is 1080p/60hz/3d. It said right on my box 600hz, so they are still using that. I think it had 4 hdmi inputs and it does use the new 3d glasses. And yes it can also convert 2d to 3d. Not sure what the C1 is that you put behind the model number.

Outside the US? Just make sure your buddy doesn't have a lot of windows. Or any for that matter imo as the tv seems to have little to no anti reflective coating.

The C1 may be a special Best Buy SKU?, I have read about fairly significant reflections. Thanks for the info. Looks like a good TV and I know he will be happy with it, he just needs some peace of mind about the industry buzz words.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy /forum/post/20192065

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/20192106

60 Hz x 10 subfields = 600 Hz; and, yes, it is listed that way for marketing.

All N. Amer. plasmas are 60 Hz, and many have 'subfield drive', making them, so-called '600 Hz'.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy /forum/post/20192145

The C1 may be a special Best Buy SKU?, I have read about fairly significant reflections. Thanks for the info. Looks like a good TV and I know he will be happy with it, he just needs some peace of mind about the industry buzz words.

the C1 is part of the model number... this is the whole model number

PN59D550C1FXZA ... if you look on the right side of the tv it will have this number and the serial number

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysplasma /forum/post/20193157

I am receiving the 64d550 today. I have never owned a plasma before. I would love to have some suggestions for settings, break-in, etc.

Congrats! No break-in is necessary with modern televisions, just maybe don't watch a lot of black bars at first. Easy to do now that most sources are 16:9.

#42 ·
if you read on plasma tv buying guide.com they have the d550 listed as no 3d.. i wonder why these places give reviews when they have know idea what they are talking about ? but last year when i bought my PN50B550 and went by there calibration settings for it, it turned out to have a great picture with there settings.. I don't know where they got the settings from, but they worked great ! and they were way differant then what it came with. i was like boy i hope this works becuase they turned some settings a long way.. i wish i could find some settings for the 59d550 like that.. just becuase it made such a differance on my 50B550

Samsung PN59D550 Review

59" Plasma TV

The D550 is a mid tier plasma from Samssung for 2011, it is the highest end non-3D model and has a 1080p plasma panel. Available in 3 sizes these TVs provide full HD resolution and plasma's superior picture at very affordable prices.

Picture and Viewing Feaures

In the past we've found the mid-tier Samsung plasmas to offer excellent picture quality at a good value. They don't feature all the bells and whistles of higher end models but you get a strong picture, which we still feel is the most important feature in a television

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime50 /forum/post/20195309

if you read on plasma tv buying guide.com they have the d550 listed as no 3d.. i wonder why these places give reviews when they have know idea what they are talking about ? but last year when i bought my PN50B550 and went by there calibration settings for it, it turned out to have a great picture with there settings.. I don't know where they got the settings from, but they worked great ! and they were way differant then what it came with. i was like boy i hope this works becuase they turned some settings a long way.. i wish i could find some settings for the 59d550 like that.. just becuase it made such a differance on my 50B550

Looks like they also claim the 6500 has a web browser.

Not sure if I'd trust much of what these guys have to say.

#47 ·
I've had a 59D550 for a week now. I'm really pleased with my choice - and am thankful for the AVS Forum for steering me to it.

Very black blacks. Awesome color. The screen is pretty glossy but I have good light control in my viewing room - but even with the lights on watching broadcast TV the picture is sufficiently bright that it's not an issue.

Until I can find better settings (or have it calibrated) I am temporarily using settings for the C590 series posted in another thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1243570&page=4 These made a big improvement over OOB settings - March Madness has never looked better!

If audio is off and I tilt my head at just the right angle I can detect a faint buzz but there's nothing detectable with any sound on (and it's a tenth of the noise of the color wheel from the Samsung DLP that it replaced).

#48 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad
I set my cell and contrast to maximum and left everything the way it was for running my slides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno312
Seems everyone used a higher contrast setting on the C550 line, all the settings i read people kept it between 80-100. This appears to be the same deal with the D550 line.
Thanks guys, went ahead and took your advice.

#49 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad
I'm actually running break-in slides. I figure it can't hurt, so why not?

I would still love to see other folks' settings....

I'm running my slides currently too, once I get the 150 hours I will use my WOW BD and post my settings. Not pro stuff by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe it will help someone.

Also, doesn't blindly copying someone's settings not always work favorably?

#50 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforza
I'm running my slides currently too, once I get the 150 hours I will use my WOW BD and post my settings. Not pro stuff by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe it will help someone.

Also, doesn't blindly copying someone's settings not always work favorably?
It probably doesn't always work out favorably considering the different viewing environments, but at least it gives people a starting or reference point to start at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.