AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#453 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/20139682

...so early promos always featured Goggins prominently.

Right, and that's what I'm referring to. I came to this unaware of the press writings. I only saw the commercials promoting it. There's know way a new series will promo two major draws, Olyphant and Goggins, as two of the main characters without them being a part of the series for the long haul.

#455 ·
Boyd's dialog is a throw back to the old style 1800 way of speaking. Being from the mountains, cut them off from the rest of civilization until the early 1900's when the logging and mining industries and the railroads pushed into the mountains and brought "outsiders" into the hills. If you read letters from the common people of the south from the 1800's, it sounds very similar. Great writing.

#458 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C /forum/post/20163299

I can't believe the ex-wife took the hundred dollar bill from the evidence room. It's nice that she came clean with Raylan.

Not the smartest thing to do but I don't she had criminal intent. If I understood correctly, she was just trying to determine if the bills were valid or not to lighten her workload. In a perverse sort of way, it's kind of refreshing to see that Winona has flaws just like Raylan. On a related note, I do think Winona will regret it if she tries too hard to turn Raylan into something he's not. I'm referring to her gently suggesting that Raylan get out of law enforcement.

I enjoyed the sequence at the end between Art and the "seasoned" bank robber.

Only Justified could come up with the premise for next week's episode though: Raylan participating in a inverse bank job!

#459 ·
I don't know, that whole stealing bit with Winona seemed like a real stretch and way out of character, not sure what the writers are going for there, in my opinion, it's a colossal misstep in the ongoing mythos of the show.

Other than that, I think the writing, overall, is presently the finest you'll find on TV.

#461 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/0

I don't know, that whole stealing bit with Winona seemed like a real stretch and way out of character, not sure what the writers are going for there, in my opinion, it's a colossal misstep in the ongoing mythos of the show.

Other than that, I think the writing, overall, is presently the finest you'll find on TV.

For me, the show suffers when it moves away from Harland (sp?) County. Those characters are just so amazingly rich. Plus (and I may be in the minority here) I don't find the Raylan/Winona plotline all that involving. I prefer Ava (in just about every way
) and think her relationship with Raylan is much more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge /forum/post/0

I thought she was comtemplating taking all the money, afterall the guard told her those lockers were no longer being used. So she took a bill to the bank to see if they were traceable.

This is what I thought as well.

#462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 /forum/post/20168633

For me, the show suffers when it moves away from Harland (sp?) County. Those characters are just so amazingly rich. Plus (and I may be in the minority here) I don't find the Raylan/Winona plotline all that involving. I prefer Ava (in just about every way
) and think her relationship with Raylan is much more interesting.

This is what I thought as well.

Same, I thought it was obvious because of the earlier scene with her Ex, and she came to her sense just a little too late.

#463 ·

Quote:
Plus (and I may be in the minority here) I don't find the Raylan/Winona plotline all that involving. I prefer Ava (in just about every way ) and think her relationship with Raylan is much more interesting.

I agree: Comparing both women, at present Ava is the more compelling character.

Quote:
I thought she was comtemplating taking all the money, afterall the guard told her those lockers were no longer being used. So she took a bill to the bank to see if they were traceable.

You may be right: I had trouble determining exactly what Winona's objective was. If it was indeed robbery, I don't like it. I got the distinct impression that up to now, Winona was supposed to be the responsible adult in the room.

#464 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge
But that still doesn't track for me, all of a sudden she's a thief, an ADA? Sure, the groundwork was laid with the discussion about the house, but still... this episode seemed like a throwaway to me.

Agree as well that the Raylan/Ava dynamic is far more interesting than the ex-wife thing.

#465 ·
I agree with the assessment that Winona took the money with bad original intent and had a change of heart - out of fear - before getting caught in the bank robbery. It seemed pretty straightforward the way they set it all up, including the financial crisis at home. I also agree it was a writer's misstep to go that way. As for Ava vs. Winona, I prefer Ava and her story/character also. In real life, she (Joelle Carter) is actually 3 yrs. older than Natalie Zea who plays Winona, but I wouldn't have guessed it. Still love this show.

#466 ·
I don't think it's really been established that Winona is such a straight arrow. And while she's being played as mostly cool and collected, she's clearly under increasing stress. One of the great things about this show is how subtly and slowly it reveals its characters' layers. Winona is getting the spotlight here really for the first time as herself, and not just as a satellite of Raylan.

The episodes are short and there are too few of them, and too many really interesting characters to give them all their due. That's my only criticism of this excellent show.

#467 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/20173161

I don't think it's really been established that Winona is such a straight arrow. And while she's being played as mostly cool and collected, she's clearly under increasing stress. One of the great things about this show is how subtly and slowly it reveals its characters' layers. Winona is getting the spotlight here really for the first time as herself, and not just as a satellite of Raylan.

The episodes are short and there are too few of them, and too many really interesting characters to give them all their due. That's my only criticism of this excellent show.

Though I'll admit Justified never went out of its way to show Winona as a straight arrow, they never portrayed her as amoral either; until now perhaps. I don't think it's implausible for her to turn to the dark side so to speak, but I think it would have been more realistic if they had provided hints of this persona in past episodes.

#468 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett /forum/post/20174058

Though I'll admit Justified never went out of its way to show Winona as a straight arrow, they never portrayed her as amoral either; until now perhaps. I don't think it's implausible for her to turn to the dark side so to speak, but I think it would have been more realistic if they had provided hints of this persona in past episodes.

There have been hints of her character. She left Raylan for the realtor when he got transferred to Miami. She was supposed to sell the house, but instead took up with the realtor. When she was first introduced she told Raylan, she did it because she wanted the big house (which she is losing now). She always struck me as selfish and hard to deal with. This has been reinforced throughout this season. Ultimately, I get the feeling that whatever or whoever she's in to, she's more concerned about No.1. In that light, I see nothing illogical about this character going off the rails.

I think she's trouble for Raylan, certainly difficult. He just can't let her go. Most of us have been there in a relationship.

#469 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/20175152

There have been hints of her character. She left Raylan for the realtor when he got transferred to Miami. She was supposed to sell the house, but instead took up with the realtor. When she was first introduced she told Raylan, she did it because she wanted the big house (which she is losing now). She always struck me as selfish and hard to deal with. This has been reinforced throughout this season. Ultimately, I get the feeling that whatever or whoever she's in to, she's more concerned about No.1. In that light, I see nothing illogical about this character going off the rails.

I think she's trouble for Raylan, certainly difficult. He just can't let her go. Most of us have been there in a relationship.

I can't fault your analysis because the facts would support the inferences you have made, although I come down in a somewhat different place. It seems to me that Raylan's problems match or exceed Winona's. He is almost insanely driven and reckless about his safety, so Winona's decision to move on wasn't entirely selfish, it seems to me. As we have seen again and again, Winona understands Raylan as nobody else does.

As to the motivation behind Winona's decision to take the $100 bill from the cash in the evidence locker, I think we simply don't know enough to draw a conclusion and I can't use her decision to leave Raylan as evidence that her motives were evil. I think we can agree, though, that Justified is smart television for grownups.

#470 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/20175316

I can't fault your analysis because the facts would support the inferences you have made, although I come down in a somewhat different place. It seems to me that Raylan's problems match or exceed Winona's. He is almost insanely driven and reckless about his safety, so Winona's decision to move on wasn't entirely selfish, it seems to me. As we have seen again and again, Winona understands Raylan as nobody else does.

As to the motivation behind Winona's decision to take the $100 bill from the cash in the evidence locker, I think we simply don't know enough to draw a conclusion and I can't use her decision to leave Raylan as evidence that her motives were evil. I think we can agree, though, that Justified is smart television for grownups.

There go again...always taking the woman's side
. Of course Raylan's got issues, but he's a pearl and can be counted on. Not something I've seen from the Winona character much. I agree, we don't know enough about $100 motivations, though I suspect she was tempted to do something stupid. I'm not implying evil intent, just a poor decision.

#472 ·
I take it all back, I should have trusted the writers of the best written show on TV. Tonight's resolution to the Winona stealing escapade was well done, in a fun, edge of the seat manner, kudos to the writers for that.

The idea of Boyd being a security expert opens the door for all sorts of hi-jinks, looking forward to seeing how it all plays out, especially how it looks to be merging the Crowder/Bennett plotlines.

As always of course, the dialog in this show is absolutely outstanding, I could listen to these actors read these lines for hours on end, great stuff!

#474 ·
Is this first time we found out that Winona was a court reporter? I guess I always assumed she was an ADA. Why would a court reporter be given or need access to an evidence room? Otherwise a great episode. I think Art figured out what happened in the end.

#475 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/20199578

Is this first time we found out that Winona was a court reporter? I guess I always assumed she was an ADA. Why would a court reporter be given or need access to an evidence room? Otherwise a great episode. I think Art figured out what happened in the end.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet. We learned she was a court reporter at least twice. I remember learning it when we first met her and then again when she recused herself when Ava was being disposed.

#476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnevar /forum/post/20199105

ADA? She's a court reporter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/20199578

Yes, I forgot to mention that in my last post. I'm not sure why I thought she was an ADA previously, but I see I'm not the only one who thought so. Up until seeing her last night I was going on the assumption she was an ADA, and that's a good question about a court reporter having access, that really doesn't sound right.

In any case, I'm glad that little excursion is over and done with and we can move on with the Bennett/Crowder storylines, which in my opinion, are far more interesting.