AVS Forum banner
445K views 2K replies 406 participants last post by  ericemartin 
#1 ·
I may not have one just yet (waiting to see what deals come out in the coming months on Amazon) but I will keep this first post updated with any relevant info and picture settings that are solid starting points for self calibration of your personal units once they are made.

So owners, share some pictures, settings, stories, and any flaws you find, lets get the discussion flowing.

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforza /forum/post/20197860

thanks...

also just wanted to say that, even with out calibrating this tv out of the box, the picture is stunning. Very happy with my purchase.

Tried playing some COD in 3d today, was pretty cool.

Dollar for dollar, the D550 line.......... one of the best bargains available. Only the hard core videophiles would be looking to upgrade; but of course there are none of those characters inhabiting these threads.

#53 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4
Dollar for dollar, the D550 line.......... one of the best bargains available. Only the hard core videophiles would be looking to upgrade; but of course there are none of those characters inhabiting these threads.
Sadly it lacks an AR filter that really does anything.

#54 ·
I just picked up the 51" D550 at Sears on Saturday and finally got a chance to hook everything up. So far I'm definitely impressed with the image quality of the tv. My other set also happens to be a Samsung plasma, a 5884 that has produced an absolutely breathtaking picture since I purchased it a few years ago. The 5884 was too big for the nook in the living room when I purchased my house, so it got relegated to bedroom duty. I ended up getting a sweet deal on a Sams Club auction for a Pioneer 5010 over a year ago, but the unit arrived with a cracked screen to my horror.
The nook remained empty for over a year until last weekend.

A few negative impressions:

I love the looks of the tv, but I didn't like the way the screen mated to the base. I found it a pain to attach.

The screen is definitely more reflective than I had anticipated. I rarely watch tv during the day (if it's on it's for background noise), so the reflectivity is a non-factor for myself. If I were a daytime viewer, I'd get a 7 or 8000 series for the superior anti-reflective screen.

The streaming was meh. I much prefer using the PS3 for streaming duties. I use a wired cat6 connection throughout the house, but found the D550 to be a little slow with a somewhat clunky menu system. The PS3 is smoother all around for me, though I'm still playing around with the D550, since there is some content I just can't seem to get streaming properly with the PS3. I use TwonkyMedia Server.

Buzzing is inaudible at the seating positions in my living room. I had to get pretty close up, i.e, within one foot of the set to hear anything.

Everything else is all positive in my book. Sears included 2 pairs of 3D glasses free with the tv, so while I've never really been too intrigued with the whole 3D thing, I've got to admit the 3d demo games I downloaded from Sony PS Store looked awesome. Haven't seen any 3D movies yet, I can't really comment there. Speaking of 3D, the manufacturers and studios are ruining their own product with this 3D title exclusivity crap they are pulling. The lack of titles is also frustrating.

Can't wait until we get some reference picture settings posted!!!

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforza /forum/post/20197411

I'm running my slides currently too, once I get the 150 hours I will use my WOW BD and post my settings. Not pro stuff by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe it will help someone.

Also, doesn't blindly copying someone's settings not always work favorably?

What's the WOW BD?

I agree completely, all of our TVs are different in different viewing environments, but seeing others' settings provides a baseline with which to begin your own tweaking.

I use DVE and have dialed in what I deem to be a pretty fantastic picture, but this is my first plasma. I figure hearing what others are doing can only help.

#56 ·
Frankthetoad,

CAn you post your settings. My 64d550 is in it's box in my living room right now, waiting for my tv stand to arrive today. Here are the settings I found online, are your similar?

movie mode

cell light 17

contrast 93

brightness 50

sharpness 0

color 50

tint G46 / R54

black tone off

dynamic contrast off

gamma +2

color space native

offset

red 24

green 22

blue 17

gain

red 29

green 26

blue 23

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysplasma /forum/post/20199289

Frankthetoad,

CAn you post your settings. My 64d550 is in it's box in my living room right now, waiting for my tv stand to arrive today. Here are the settings I found online, are your similar?

movie mode

cell light 17

contrast 93

brightness 50

sharpness 0

color 50

tint G46 / R54

black tone off

dynamic contrast off

gamma +2

color space native

offset

red 24

green 22

blue 17

gain

red 29

green 26

blue 23

My settings are nearly identical to these...except I can't remember what my offset and gain is set to. I also have color space on auto....not sure what that would affect.

I've set the temp to Warm 1. I'm probably going to be lowering Cell to 15 or 16 and then re-tweaking from there. I'll be messing around with it tonight and will report back.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad /forum/post/20199256

What's the WOW BD?

I agree completely, all of our TVs are different in different viewing environments, but seeing others' settings provides a baseline with which to begin your own tweaking.

I use DVE and have dialed in what I deem to be a pretty fantastic picture, but this is my first plasma. I figure hearing what others are doing can only help.

correct me if im wrong but WOW is a calibrating bluray disc like DVE, AVIA, Spears and Munsil...

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/09/22/di...ices-alike-at/

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysplasma /forum/post/0

Frankthetoad,

movie mode

cell light 17

contrast 93

brightness 50

sharpness 0

color 50

tint G46 / R54

black tone off

dynamic contrast off

gamma +2

color space native

offset

red 24

green 22

blue 17

gain

red 29

green 26

blue 23

Where did you get those from?

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysplasma /forum/post/20199798

I will be setting up my 64d550 tonight and will test out these settings. I will post the results tomorrow. By the way, I am a novice and this is my first plasma tv.

It's technically my first plasma also. I don't have any kind of calibration disc, or a dvd/bluray player to play one, so the best I can do is eyeball it all.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRrobin981 /forum/post/20187115

Glare is bad with this TV. But no floating blacks, but I swear my eyes caught some color adjustments (flickering? brightness changes?) during a couple of scenes of "The Social Network" (watching in completely dark room).

I was watching Megamind last night and thought I saw something similar. So quick I didn't even know what happened

#69 ·
Anyone who has their 64D550 would it be possible to snap a pic of the rear input/outputs for me, I can't find a rear pic of the TV anywhere.

Also can anyone confirm or test if the USB ConnectShare Movie plays MKV files or do they list what file types it will play.

Thanks

#71 ·
Could somebody with a D550 take a look at the "Arri 8 Bit Grey Gradient" test pattern (or additionally any other 8-bit R, G, B patterns) from this page and tell me if you see any noticeable banding, luminance or color temperature fluctuations, etc or it's a smooth gradient from black to white (monotonically increasing luminance and stable white temperature with equally sized steps...)?

Could you guess how many shades does it have? (You should be able to distinguish 256 steps but I never saw that much on any plasma displays which I saw. So, I am curious about the new models with updated chipset... -> It's easier to guess if you can watch this test pattern on a proper LCD [like an IPS or PVA] display first).

And could you tell me about the dithering noise? Is it as noticeable as it is on Panasonic G20 plasmas? (Is it noticeable like hell if you watch a relatively dark and homogeneous picture area? ; I hope they improved the dithering noise pattern with this new chipset...)

#74 ·
Here are my settings after a good deal of tweaking. I used the settings from the above post and then dialed everything in with DVE.

Picture Mode: Movie

Cell Light: 17

Contrast: 81

Brightness: 64

Sharpness: 0

Color: 52

Tint: G49/R51

Advanced Settings:

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: +1

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space: Auto

White Balance: RO-25, GO-23, BO-24, RG-18, GG-24, BG-25

Flesh Tone: 0

EE: Off

Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Options:

Color Tone: Warm 2

DNR: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

I've got about 30 hours of burn-in slides under my belt...going for 100, then I'll recalibrate. Loving the picture!

#75 ·
Frank, Thanks!!

I had to go out last night, so could not set up the 64d550. So, today, I will get it out of the box and I am going to use your exact settings and see how it looks with the new panasonic blu-ray player.

By the way, for those who are plasma shopping, I got the tv at ABT for a very good price and with two free sets of 3d glasses. Had a very good experience with the folks at ABT.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad /forum/post/20204291

Here are my settings after a good deal of tweaking. I used the settings from the above post and then dialed everything in with DVE.

Picture Mode: Movie

Cell Light: 17

Contrast: 81

Brightness: 64

Sharpness: 0

Color: 52

Tint: G49/R51

Advanced Settings:

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: +1

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space: Auto

White Balance: RO-25, GO-23, BO-24, RG-18, GG-24, BG-25

Flesh Tone: 0

EE: Off

Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Options:

Color Tone: Warm 2

DNR: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

I've got about 30 hours of burn-in slides under my belt...going for 100, then I'll recalibrate. Loving the picture!

going to try those out, I have about 80 hours of break in slides done. Going for 150.

EDIT: Yeah I tried these, very good. Much better than the previous settings posted in this thread (which were from a c550)

I will use these as my starting point for WOW once I get 150 hours.

Thanks a ton.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.