AVS Forum banner

3D projectors with Nvidia Graphics card issue -Alternate HTPC ideas inside

36K views 259 replies 43 participants last post by  achilleas8095 
#1 ·
Edit 1/5/2011

It appears a moderator changed the title to include the Sony projector although I'm not sure how the Nvidia issue pertains to the Sony projector, I don't want anyone being misled by the title. I have asked one of the moderators why it was changed and to please fix it.

Several others have had varied success with the latest drivers, it looks like there is some progress being made. I installed a clean Win7 64bit setup and TMT5 and PDVD10 are working just the same as in the 32bit setup. I can get either app to change frequency from 60hz to 24 -> 24(FP) and back to 60hz. This is with the HDMI->VIDEO and DVI->AVR.

Another member had a positive experience with the Nvidia 450 card.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19768530

Please continue to post your experience / issues with your current setup and be sure to provide as much detail about the setup as possible. thanks!

Edit: 1/4/2011

With the same gainward drivers, I also have PowerDVD10 (2113) workiing with 3D bluray and HD audio with no issues, I ran through 1/2 dozen or so 3D BD's and all played smooth in TMT5 and PDVD10.

This setup is with split video / audio

(Video HDMI -> projector)

(Audio DVI-HDMI -> Pioneer SC-07 1.3 AVR)

I understand at least 1 member is having an issue with the new drivers going through a 1.4 AVR. If anyone else has success with split mode and the new drivers, please post your experience.

I still have the Nvidia Dongle attached at this point even though I am using the JVC RS40 emitter / Xpand 103 glasses for 3D viewing. I will try to remove this as requested by a number of members to see if it's still working.

Video modes will switch from 1080p 60hz ->24hz -> 24 (FP) JVC 3D bluray frame packed mode and then back to 60hz if necessary.

edit: 1/3/2011

Gainward has posted a new driver that allowed me to sync the RS40 with the Nvidia GT430 Card. I am currently testing, but have it running in 60hz, 24 hz and 24 hz (FP) for 3D mode with HD audio. This is with splitting the Video over HDMI and audio over DVI to the 1.3 AVR.

http://www.gainward.com/main/download.php?vgapro=395

details after more testing

** The JVC RS40/50/60 has an issue with all Nvidia graphics cards from the 4x and 5x series. If you directly connect the graphics card to the JVC, the projector will think the resolution is 2880x1080 and will not sync. **

This information has been reported to Gary B in the UK, but there is no further information if this can/will be resolved in a firmware update. There has been an ongoing discussion the RS40 thread with a number of members trying different ATI solutions.

some of the current options:
  • run the nvidia card through a 1.4 capable AVR. Please post if you've had success with this setup, which AVR you are using, etc.

• ATI 5450 - This is kind of working - I can get 3D BD playback via TMT5 and Powerdvd10 but not HD audio. The HD audio will drop out from time to time. This is surprising this card is working at all since it wasn't supposed to support 3D BD.

• ATI 6850 / 6870 - Different reports on varying success with this card. Petri had some issues and couldn't get it working on his X7. This might have changed since 10.12 came out.

Please use this thread to discuss any solutions that are working including software, drivers, AVR setup, etc. thanks!

See less See more
#230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK /forum/post/20127184

An update is now available from NVIDIA which allows their cards to work with the new JVC 3D projectors.

Details are available from:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-pl...ty-driver.html

Interesting, thanks!

Do you know what problem they fix? I ask because I was using my Nvidia 430 with my JVC X3 without any problems except that I could not get 1080p 23.976 with 3D (only 1080p24).

#232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK /forum/post/0

An update is now available from NVIDIA which allows their cards to work with the new JVC 3D projectors.

Details are available from:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-pl...ty-driver.html

Great I been trying to play games every since December on my RS40 with no luck. Can't wait to get home to try it

#234 ·
Nvidia released a new driver 267.59. With this version, you have to install 3D support separately via another driver 266.21. I wonder and hope that the 3D configuration experience is different and like AMD where 3D FP is enabled only when 3D content is played.

The HDMI driver version is still at 1.1.13.1 so no updates there.

#235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 /forum/post/20211244

Nvidia released a new driver 267.59. With this version, you have to install 3D support separately via another driver 266.21. I wonder and hope that the 3D configuration experience is different and like AMD where 3D FP is enabled only when 3D content is played.

The HDMI driver version is still at 1.1.13.1 so no updates there.

I've never gotten 3D working with the RS40 and the computer. (I had other issues come up and didn't have a lot of time to work on it.) Every time I try to activate 3D, it offers up instructions that seem aimed only at 3D Vision users. Can someone take me through this step by step, with either PowerDVD 10 or Total Media Theater 5 for playback?

I have an nVidia 450 and both PowerDVD 10 and Total Media Theater 5.

#236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/20213297

I've never gotten 3D working with the RS40 and the computer. (I had other issues come up and didn't have a lot of time to work on it.) Every time I try to activate 3D, it offers up instructions that seem aimed only at 3D Vision users. Can someone take me through this step by step, with either PowerDVD 10 or Total Media Theater 5 for playback?

I have an nVidia 450 and both PowerDVD 10 and Total Media Theater 5.

yeah, that's the problem. You have to go that wizard so that Nvidia knows how your glasses work and then the desktop is left in that mode. to back to 2D you have to disable 3D. Then the next time you want to watch 3D, you have to go back through the wizard again. Very poor execution continues at Nvidia.

#238 ·
Just a quick note about my setup just in case it could be of some interest to anyone. This post helps me BTW.

This is how I get 3D to work, bluray or other formats.

I'm running an 5770 with a hdmi 1.3 only AVR, and a JVC RS40-X3 as FP.

I'm using hdmi splitting as this :

ATI HDMI -> FP

ATI DVI-HDMI dongle (this dongle is specific to ATI card ~15$) -> AVR

Windows 7 64bits, latest ATI drivers.

I've experienced lot of problems and headaches, but what's working well is :

- switch on projector last. (or you'll lost sound)

- use extended display (clone doesn't work for 3D)

- in catalyst control center :

- set underscan to 0

- uncheck anything which as to do to improve/change video and be careful as those settings tends to change back to default in some situations.

If you have a laptop, it may be a good idea to install vnc to do remote config, in case you are stuck with no image at some point so you can change setup and reboot easily ;-)

#240 ·
I am running a gt450 and the nvidia drivers recognized the jvc rs40 as a 1.4 3d capable display right away. It added two HD 3D resolutions to the selectable list: 1080p24 FP and 720p60.

TMT5 plays 3d content flawlessly with this provided you preselect the 1080p24 FP mode manually first. PowerDVD10 doesn't seem to recognize that I have a 1.4 3d capable display. I installed the latest display drivers from Nvidia and the latest version of pdvd 10 ultra.

PDVD worked with the nvidia ready 120Hz optoma hd66 no problem....it just doesn't work with the new display.

Any ideas?

#241 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike infinity
I am running a gt450 and the nvidia drivers recognized the jvc rs40 as a 1.4 3d capable display right away. It added two HD 3D resolutions to the selectable list: 1080p24 FP and 720p60.

TMT5 plays 3d content flawlessly with this provided you preselect the 1080p24 FP mode manually first. PowerDVD10 doesn't seem to recognize that I have a 1.4 3d capable display. I installed the latest display drivers from Nvidia and the latest version of pdvd 10 ultra.

PDVD worked with the nvidia ready 120Hz optoma hd66 no problem....it just doesn't work with the new display.

Any ideas?
Which version of the nVidia software are you running? Are you connected directly or through a HDMI 1.4 AVR?

#242 ·
I am not using a 1.4 AVR. I actually have tried running both a 1.4 cable directly to the projector and the spdif for audio to my 1.3 AVR. I also have had the same success running with an old DVI-hdmi cable to the PJ and HDMI to the AVR for sound.

I am not sure which version of the drivers I am running (I will have to check tommorrow). I installed the latest version from the website and that was it.

I am wondering about ghosting though...I seem to be seeing more of it than some others have posted in the same scenes. I might try an ati card for the heck of it (and return it if its no better) or I might test against a dedicated bluray player.

#243 ·
Quote:
I am not using a 1.4 AVR. I actually have tried running both a 1.4 cable directly to the projector and the spdif for audio to my 1.3 AVR. I also have had the same success running with an old DVI-hdmi cable to the PJ and HDMI to the AVR for sound.

I am not sure which version of the drivers I am running (I will have to check tommorrow). I installed the latest version from the website and that was it.

I am wondering about ghosting though...I seem to be seeing more of it than some others have posted in the same scenes. I might try an ati card for the heck of it (and return it if its no better) or I might test against a dedicated bluray player.
Side by side video is going to ghost a lot with the new JVCs. I believe it's an artifact of the 60hz/eye frame rate and the inability of the D-ILA chips to refresh fast enough. 24fps 3D Blu-ray shouldn't ghost nearly as much. I doubt seriously that an ATI card will be any better.

#244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/20324615

I doubt seriously that an ATI card will be any better.

I would tend to agree except that a couple of posters here seemed to have had this experience. Plus I am having a problem with nvidia and pdvd 10 (pdvd doesn't see my display as hdmi 1.4 capable 3d...tmt5 trial version does)

There could be an increase in ghosting if there is a synchronization issue of some kind. However, I tend to agree with you. After all, its the projector that syncs the ir-signal for the shutters with the incoming frames from the hdmi source....not the computer. Maybe the frame rate is slightly inconsistent coming from the card? Unlikely, but I would like to rule it out.

For whatever reason I do seem to be experiencing more ghosting than some posters with the same content. For example, the opening titles of The Guardians owl movie ghosts for the floating 3d titles regardless of warm up time. Everyone who has looked at this on my PJ can see it. At least one poster here doesn't see this....and for me it is hardly subtle. Everyone should see it. I also see flicker...and others apparently are not seeing this.

I also get picture breakup into blocks with avatar 3d randomly...so there is an issue there.

I might just try my luck with either a (returnable) ati card or a (returnable) stand alone blu-ray player to see if it makes any difference. I will post the observations here.

#245 ·
I have now tested with a stand alone blu-ray player. There is no more or less ghosting compared to nvidia card + htpc. As I have now solved my PDVD issue (with a simple re-boot of all things) I won't bother with ATI. The wierd thing is I have to set the mode in PDVD to 120Hz nvidia in order to get the player to playback in 3D 24FP 1080p mode.

Just watched some scenes from the owl movie and avatar during the tests... this PJ really delivers the WOW factor on my HP screen. The ghosting really is no big deal 99% of the time...and after the warm up time I have noticed it to be reduced.

Its finally time for me to run my cables...all this testing is finally wrapping up.

#246 ·
Quote:
I have now tested with a stand alone blu-ray player. There is no more or less ghosting compared to nvidia card + htpc. As I have now solved my PDVD issue (with a simple re-boot of all things) I won't bother with ATI. The wierd thing is I have to set the mode in PDVD to 120Hz nvidia in order to get the player to playback in 3D 24FP 1080p mode.

Just watched some scenes from the owl movie and avatar during the tests... this PJ really delivers the WOW factor on my HP screen. The ghosting really is no big deal 99% of the time...and after the warm up time I have noticed it to be reduced.

Its finally time for me to run my cables...all this testing is finally wrapping up.
Yes, Mike, the projector takes 10-20 minutes to warm up to the point that ghosting is non-issue for me. Also, it ghosts less in high lamp mode. The extra heat, apparently, allows the chips to change state faster.

I'll be going through the process of trying to get my two HTPCs to talk to the RS40 soon. I have an nVidia 450 in one and a 460 in the other. I was an ATI guy for years, but nVidia worked with Adobe to get support for CUDA accelerated video editing, which makes a tremendous difference in how fast I can get things done. Also, I was having issues with black levels with my ATI cards for the last couple of years. So far, knock on wood, they haven't reappeared since I installed the nVidia cards. Those two things alone make it worth my while to stay with nVidia. I'll get the computer 3D issues sorted out, I'm sure. Right now, it's not as high a high priority for me.

#247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike infinity /forum/post/20325580

I would tend to agree except that a couple of posters here seemed to have had this experience. Plus I am having a problem with nvidia and pdvd 10 (pdvd doesn't see my display as hdmi 1.4 capable 3d...tmt5 trial version does)

There could be an increase in ghosting if there is a synchronization issue of some kind. However, I tend to agree with you. After all, its the projector that syncs the ir-signal for the shutters with the incoming frames from the hdmi source....not the computer. Maybe the frame rate is slightly inconsistent coming from the card? Unlikely, but I would like to rule it out.

For whatever reason I do seem to be experiencing more ghosting than some posters with the same content. For example, the opening titles of The Guardians owl movie ghosts for the floating 3d titles regardless of warm up time. Everyone who has looked at this on my PJ can see it. At least one poster here doesn't see this....and for me it is hardly subtle. Everyone should see it. I also see flicker...and others apparently are not seeing this.

I also get picture breakup into blocks with avatar 3d randomly...so there is an issue there.

It sounds like your PJ has about the same amount of ghosting as mine does. Have you tried Despicable Me yet? The white backgrounds seem to be really ghost-prone. The 3D titles in the owl movie ghosted much less after I switched to the newer AMD card, and the 3D effect was of course more pronounced. Although there is still ghosting, the feather that pops out when the owl dives down in the front of the movie title seems to project much closer to me than with the Nvidia card. My projector was thoroughly warmed up for all testing. I guess I could put the 450 back in and try out the new drivers just to be sure.

I've tried different HDMI cables and have even bought an HDMI 1.4 receiver in the process of chasing down these ghosts.

I recently borrowed a friend's PS3 but have not played a 3D movie with it yet. The killzone3 demo (720p i think) ghosted like crazy and looked like garbage, though.

Interesting that you mention the breaking up into blocks during difficult scenes. I occasionally get that too! I thought that my 6850 card, i5 2500 and 2000Mhz memory would have enough horsepower to render 3D flawlessly. Maybe it's an issue with the software player (TMT5) or drivers.

My latest moment of 3D amazement was the dark title screen for Tangled. I think overall, 3D pop-out effect on RS40 just seems to work better with light colors on dark backgrounds. Movies like Avatar that have "shallow" 3D depth overall tend to be good.

#248 ·
Hello there the title is quite exhausive, I have a WinXP-32 based HTPC and I'm getting crazy on trying to have 3D framepack output from HDMI to my new JVC-RS50 PRJ.

I use PDVD 10 latest patch build, Catalyst driver and everything from ATI is the latest release.

PRJ is connected via HDMI, I don't have any problem with my PS3 standalone player, that worked fine since the very first time, so no issues at all for the prj and cable. Prj is set to auto detect 3D mode, but I went through all manual steps ande they work fine.

Is all about EDID I guess, I don't see any chance of finding the Frame pack manual setting in PDVD and when is about to choose the display type I see only Checkerboard, Anaglyph or LCD Mini polarized. The image on the guides show 1080-24p 1.4 3D enabled should be there to choose but there is no trace about that choice.

Any clues??

Do I miss anything, refresh settings are to 1080@24Hz and the prj is set to primary.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thank You in advance Guys.

I tried any search in the web but no traces.

Sorry but I'm a newbie!!

#249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobeer /forum/post/19813543

Just note here..

I actaully have FUll HD 24fp frame sequence running with my "old" 5950 graphics card. What I did was some registry changes to enable quad buffering (suggested on iz3d driver forum) on catalyst driver. and ran with the non-latest no so buggy ones..

did an EDID overiade so all 3D funktions where supported according to the EDID. and ran PowerDVD mkII with hdmi 1.4 output.

SNIP______

cheers,

T

Hello there, would You consider being so kind to send me the EDID override you're describing, I seem to have EDID problems with my 6870, it doesn't see the 1.4 compatibility with my RS50, so no 1.4 1080x1920/24p 3D enabled screen shown option to choose. No framepack enabling.

Maybe You could be so kind to send me the correct procedure.

Thanks in advance

#250 ·
sorry if this has been mentioned before, I have gt430 graphics card. if I want to play 3d to a 3d projector like the new hd33 or something similar, do I need 3dtv play? or do I just need something like TMT5? if I play a side by side format film, wouldn't it be the projector that I just set to side by side? really confused at what the 3dtv play is actually doing and why I'm spending 40 dollars for it.

#251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 /forum/post/20934449

sorry if this has been mentioned before, I have gt430 graphics card. if I want to play 3d to a 3d projector like the new hd33 or something similar, do I need 3dtv play? or do I just need something like TMT5? if I play a side by side format film, wouldn't it be the projector that I just set to side by side? really confused at what the 3dtv play is actually doing and why I'm spending 40 dollars for it.

Nvidia does make it very confusing when I read the website and I've owned their products for over a decade now.

Here is the deal: If you own the Nvidia 3D vision transmitter and glasses (these work with 3D games AND 3D movies), then you do not need to spend the $40 to get 3D working on your 3D projector.

If you just own the GT430, they are charging a fee to 'turn on' the ability to play back 3D through an application like TMT5 or Powerdvd 10.

I don't think the cost is too bad, but part of me thinks they should provide the support without the additional fee.

It does work very well and I've watched over 40 3D blurays with TMT5 and PDVD10 without issues using the GT430. It works great with my JVC RS50, Sony HW30 and the Acer 5350. I do own the Nvidia kit because I use it once in a while for 3D games on my Acer 5360 3D DLP.

let me know if you have any other questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.