AVS Forum banner
973K views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  b_scott 
#1 ·
She just got delivered for some testing the other day. Ah, the joy of having a thinner designed Panasonic . Nice and thin at about 2".

--More to come.......Including a review from Chad B around midnight tonight

Chad B wrote a reveiw >>> Click Here

See less See more
#1,077 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA /forum/post/20219051

Thats really weird about your IR issues. I played Call of Duty yesterday for an hour and went back to the dashboard and the IR was almost instantly gone. Def wasnt there for no 2 minutes for me.

perhaps you arent noticing it but its there ..

my eyes are fairly sensitive to changes in light output .. more than most ..

#1,079 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA /forum/post/20219119

Is there any way to set the scrolling bar feature to a button? I like to run it inbetween matches of Call of Duty while waiting in the lobby. Would be convient if it was available at the push of a single button.

im not sure ..

but i just tested again ..

yeah my panel gets ir very ez ..

i left my samsung bluray player menu up for 30 seconds then switched to a no signal input and the ir was quite distinct ..

i left the screen blank for a few minutes but the ir didnt go away on its own ..

i ran the scroll bar for 30 seconds and that didnt get rid of it either ..

i would find it unusual for this to be a quality control issue ..

#1,081 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinmann /forum/post/20219184

i guess with any new product people like to talk about speculations and first impressions.... but does anyone have some suggested calibration and settings?

D-Nice has posted his ST30 settings at High Def Junkies. He doesn't want them copied elsewhere, and we can't link to that site from AVS, so you have to Google for it, or PM someone for a direct link.

#1,084 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid /forum/post/20217819

Yeah, I didn't know what the other guy was using. He just posted 2 pics in the dark.

But none the less 31 aint bad.

Would be cool if we could get some game shots of this thing in game mode with all processing features off.

Between myself and my friends (whom we're all sensitive to input lag), 32 ms is the upper threshold of perceptibility for us. Anything lower and we can't tell the difference.

As for game mode, does the ST30 actually have a dedicated game mode function? With some of the LCDs I've tested in the past, there was a dedicated game mode that you could set to on/off. But with the ST30, I didn't see anything like that. The only semblance of a game mode was to relabel the HDMI input to 'Game' (which basically just changes your picture mode to Game).

Also, can someone explain to me what plasma dithering looks like? When I was taking macro photos of the panel pixels, I noticed color fluctuation of individuals pixels (even though the background was a solid color and static). This phenomenon isn't constant either -- over a 10 second examination, there would be 2 seconds worth of color fluctuation, and the remaining 8 seconds would be no color fluctuation, and then it repeats itself. Is that what plasma dithering is? Just making sure I don't have a defective set.

Edit: also, just wanted to add the color fluctuation I mentioned above is pretty much impossible to see when viewing at a normal sitting distance. I can only clearly see this when I'm less than 6 inches away from the TV.

#1,085 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky /forum/post/20218984

the buzzing on my st30 was initially very quite ..

however after over 70 hours logged the buzzing is now just as loud as my gt25 was ..

almost as if something is progressively becoming looser ..

Very interesting: this might explain why I heard one ST30 in the store that was VERY quiet, and one that was as loud as my GT25.

Quote:
buzzing is also something i can live with tho .. annoying as it is ..

Yes, I think I'm more sensitive to it than others. The high frequency noise is really tough for me to take.

Quote:
i read i think that the st30 has less ir than the gt25 .. but im not so sure ..

i swear that this tv gets ir way ezier ..

just having the menu up for 30 seconds will put a 2 minute ir on the screen .. and thats with low contrast ..

Neither of my GT25s had IR to that level. But maybe it's just during the break-in period on the ST.

Quote:
what tv did you go with ??

I was just worn out by the buzzing, but I didn't see a single LCD with a PQ I could live with.

I actually went with a Mitsubishi 60738 DLP. Most folks here will say I'm crazy from plasma to DLP. But the PQ on the 738 series looks fantastic (very natural colors, good blacks, no judder, very little noise) to my eye. And the price is fantastic. It arrives tomorrow.

#1,087 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA /forum/post/20219599

Arent DLP blacks in a dark room **** b/c of the way it works?

I know this isn't the place for a plasma v. dlp debate, and I don't mean to start one. I went DLP solely because I couldn't handle the buzz. But I viewed one for a long period of time in the Magnolia high fi theater room, and the blacks looked great. I did see a couple of comparison articles that had good things to say about DLP black levels.

First:
Quote:
DLP's biggest benefit is extremely deep black levels. Since flat screen panels currently all need backlights to operate with any sort of brightness, no flat panel screen can display a "true" black, meaning one with no amount of gray. DLPs, like all rear projection TVs, only shine the light needed in any picture, and the DLP chip blocks out the rest, creating infinitely deep blacks and colors that pop more than their flat screen friends.

Source: http://www.obsessable.com/feature/lc...he-difference/

And:
Quote:
Plasma TV has a slight edge when it comes to black levels

Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/plasma-vs-dlp.html

There are also some threads on here discussing this...I know the DLP won't have Kuro blacks, but I think it has better blacks than an LCD. And my argument here isn't that DLP is better than plasma, but that since I was going away from plasma, DLP is good PQ.

#1,089 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1650 /forum/post/20220380

Anybody experiencing the "green tint" the two reviews on Amazon mention for to 50st30?

i watched a video where they pointed out that the right side of the screen was tinted green on greyscale images ..

i havent noticed it on the grey slides on my breakin slide show ..

ive looked for it .. maybe my eyes arent sensitive to it or something ..

no green tint here ..

#1,090 ·
Thank Goodness .. CEVA is delivering my tv this time ..

ceva delivered my two gt25s and i was very pleased with their professionalism ..

my current st30 was delivered by home direct .. which hires out 3rd party delivery companies to do the work ..

they shipped the tv standing on its end (which could account for the off center nature of the picture since the short bordered side was on bottom) despite clear shipping instructions on the box ..

yay ceva

#1,091 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky /forum/post/20220630

[snip]

they shipped the tv standing on its end (which could account for the off center nature of the picture since the short bordered side was on bottom) despite clear shipping instructions on the box ..

yay ceva

Maybe the plasma flowed to the side that was down. Did you try standing the panel on the other end to help the plasma flow back. Or maybe it just needs a plasma refill.

Larry

#1,092 ·
When I got my plasma from BestBuy when they took it off the shelf they had to stand it on the one end to fit it through the aisles up to customer service but before I left to go get the truck I asked that they stand it back on its side b/c I wouldnt be back for 3 hours and didn't wanna risk it.

#1,093 ·
Initial results after watching my 42ST30 for about a week or so now...

Mostly t.v., with several Blu-ray movies played on it also; settings tweaked to D-nice's calibration suggestions.

Background on me: I'm pretty much a novice high-def guy, and I don't even understand what some of these technical discussions revolving around ml's even mean... first plasma (or lcd or anything) ever, but like to do a fair amount of research before making a "major" purchase, hence my involvement thus far on this forum.

I notice no buzzing, green tint, washed-out colors or less-than-stellar blacks. Once calibrated to D-nice's settings, this t.v. has simply been amazing.

My wife even had the idea of attempting to talk me into keeping this 42-inch set that I ordered as a "placeholder" for my 60 "er and abandoning the idea of eventually getting the 60-class set when they're finally released in hopes of saving a couple thousand dollars... until she sat down with me on the couch one night and watched less than 30 minutes' worth of t.v.

It took her about that long to admit the picture was "amazing" and that my idea of moving this 42-inch set to our master bedroom when the 60 comes out was a smart idea, as there would be no way we could "get by" with one person watching the old set on top of the chest of drawers now and the other a big plasma down in the family room.

I have no technical knowledge to couch a review in fancy terms that would merit the attention of this forum's educated members, but for those like myself who stumbled in here looking for information -- yet are still relatively ignorant to the extreme technical aspects of measuring this high-def stuff -- I would tell you all that this t.v. is simply amazing to a layman's perspective.

Yes, I still have the complaint that the engineers should have come up with a better design for the power supply cord where it connects to the back of the set for mounting flush to a wall... but I guess I'll just have to utilize my skills in working with sheetrock and cut out a relief hole for that plug as well as the HDMI cable and rout both of them to the bottom of the wall behind the sheetrock.

But... the PQ of this set is mesmerizing.

A sincere thanks to everyone for your willingness to share your immense knowledge here to help us high-def noobies in our sometimes-agonizing purchase decisions!

#1,094 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA /forum/post/20220942

When I got my plasma from BestBuy when they took it off the shelf they had to stand it on the one end to fit it through the aisles up to customer service but before I left to go get the truck I asked that they stand it back on its side b/c I wouldnt be back for 3 hours and didn't wanna risk it.

big difference tho .. that was only momentary ..

they had my tv rattling and bumping in the back of a moving van for over two hours to get it here from their distribution center on the day of arrival .. all the while standing on its end ..

scary ..

#1,095 ·
After seeing how Pilot delivered and man handled my tv's I've decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra $100 at bb. At least this way if there is anything wrong with it I can get a replacement with a few hours and not several days. who knows they may even match price with Amazon or through in some blu rays.

#1,096 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctadman /forum/post/20221235

After seeing how Pilot delivered and man handled my tv's I've decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra $100 at bb. At least this way if there is anything wrong with it I can get a replacement with a few hours and not several days. who knows they may even match price with Amazon or through in some blu rays.

dude .. its way ezier with amazon ..

you dont have to drive anywhere ..

they bring you the replacement and then take away the old one at the same time ..

so you never have to go without a tv ..

but if you dont like your odds with the shipping company i can understand that ..

ceva was great both times for me ..

amazon said its just luck of the draw who you get .. depends on availability at the time ..

#1,097 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1650 /forum/post/20220380

Anybody experiencing the "green tint" the two reviews on Amazon mention for to 50st30?

HDTVTest mentioned it in their review of the GT30 --"grey screen reveals slight greenness at right of panel".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky /forum/post/20220482

i watched a video where they pointed out that the right side of the screen was tinted green on greyscale images ..

i havent noticed it on the grey slides on my breakin slide show ..

ive looked for it .. maybe my eyes arent sensitive to it or something ..

no green tint here ..

Can you link us to the video spanky? This sounds like it has the makings of being a confirmed widespread defect.

#1,098 ·
The green, on mine, is in the center top and down the middle of the screen. Nothing on the right side.

It has a green tint appearance... but with a grey background it appears as random blobs or clouds. I have read a few other people experiencing the same problem... and more reviews are posted we may find it out if it is widespread.

Will try one replacement... and if I spot the problem again will return the set for a something different.

#1,100 ·
I don't know what these complaints of IR are from because i just left my stores 55ST30 on an all black screen w/ white text (Bluray disc standard screen) AND in vivid mode, which is the most probable to cause IR, for 15 min on pause and then hit play and there was ZERO IR in any screen that i switched to. The set currently has 100 hours on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.