AVS Forum banner
525K views 4K replies 607 participants last post by  lucidsoul5 
#1 ·
D7000 Series PDP (exclusive to American market)
  • Same 1080P panel and Real Black (anti-glare) Filter as D8000
  • Crystal Full HD video processing engine (omitting LCE circuit) w/ Cinema Smooth (4:4 pulldown).
  • 1080P 3D / 2D-to-3D upconversion / bluetooth-syncing active glasses
  • Smart TV (Samsung Apps, universal search) w/o web browser
  • Built-in Wi-Fi connection
  • Audio out via TOSLINK (no ARC support)
  • Backlit remote (touchscreen and QWERTY remotes sold separately)
  • Advanced calibration options (2- and 10-pt grayscale, 3D CMS, gamma adjustments available from user menu)
  • Brushed metal Touch of Color design (Dark Platinum) with Titan square stand

Samsung PN51D7000: 51-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Samsung PN59D7000: 59-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Samsung PN64D7000: 64-inch ( spec sheet , website )

Further details and a features comparison matrix can be found in the Samsung 2011 Plasma Lineup Thread.

Reviews
CNET - PN59D7000
CNET - Panasonic TC-PVT30 vs. Samsung PND7000/8000: Which is the best TV of 2011 (so far)?

Manuals / FirmwareSuggested Settings / Tweaks
  • Samsung TV's display the most accurate picture using the MOVIE preset and Warm2 color tone. Disable all eco solution / motion lighting / dynamic contrast / black tone / noise filter enhancements. For a bright picture, expect to dial up Cell Light (17-20; sets light output without raising black level) and Contrast (~90). Dial down Sharpness from the default value and use Screen Fit to ensure 1:1 pixel mapping (note this disables the pixel shift function). Consult the Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread for representative settings.
  • Set Film Mode to off (i.e., disengage Cinema Smooth to apply 3:2 pulldown) for 1080p24 material to obtain the deepest black level. Disabling Cinema Smooth also reduces APL-related brightness/gamma fluctuations.
  • Set Film Mode to Auto1 to correctly de-interlace 480i/1080i, film-based, signals. The set will automatically switch the Film Mode as needed depending on the source. Auto 2 is meant to be applied to mixed film and video content (e.g., film with an overlaid scrolling text ticker).
  • To unlock CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT picture presets follow these instructions . Note that after exiting the service menu, your current settings will revert to factory default. The CAL presets need to calibrated independently of MOVIE, which is generally more accurate to begin with. Note two bugs: 1) 3D functionality may be impaired within the CAL presets; 2) Gamma shifts / dithering noise may occur after exiting from Smart Hub. This can be resolved by toggling between the MOVIE and CAL presets.
  • To adjust picture/sound settings within apps/AllShare, select the TOOLS button on the remote, or select MENU from the Smart Hub home screen.
  • Samsung remote available on
    and Android devices.
  • Attempt a factory reset via the service menu or by holding down the remote's EXIT button for 15 sec if you observe the picture dimming in stepped intervals. One of the eco options may be stuck in the ON position.

Port Layout / Remote / 3D Glasses

------------------------------------------------------------

My PN59D7000 was delivered this morning -- a replacement for my 58C7000 by Samsung (Netflix blinks and a stuck pixel).

Some quick comments...

- Unlike the C-series 58/63" models, the stand did not come attached. It sits more snuggly in the packaging than I recall my C7000 did -- might reduce incidents of cracked panels during shipment.

- RBF mitigates glare at the expense of more focused reflections. Screen has a more purple appearance in daylight. Maintains contrast exceptionally well under lights.

- The bezel/stand are not metallic black, but a dark metallic bronze. The styling looks more upscale vs the C7000's matte plastic bezel, but it obviously reflects more and might not match your other components (color or lustre).

- Buzz on this display is reduced relative to my C7000, but I didn't find it to be an issue on that set either.

I will post some more qualitative observations after playing around with the set.

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas /forum/post/20216714

Do you mean like light diffracting off the screen/filter? No rainbows whatsoever (TV on or off). I have occasionally seen that effect on LCDs in stores.

yes i tryed to explain it the best i could. but iam glad to hear this

like i said somebody said they seen this in BB.

did you test the 3d yet and how does it compare to the pannys 3d

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/20218903

what didn't you like about the D8000?...the claw stand?

Budget. I wanted to keep the final out the door price as close to $2K as possible. The 8000 and 7000 share many of the same features, so I could not justify the additional monies for the Web Browser and QWERTY remote.

I actually didn't mind the claw stand.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron /forum/post/20221206

I'm surprised they would do something like that. Maybe they just forgot! Sounds like something that is fixable with a firmware upgrade though, or I would hope.

If they add it via firmware update, all will be forgiven. There are people out there that use and appreciate MJC. Make it happen Samsung!

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonik /forum/post/20221359

If they add it via firmware update, all will be forgiven. There are people out there that use and appreciate MJC. Make it happen Samsung!

I would be quite surprised if they brought it back just by a firmware update. Hopefully they have the mjc chipset built in the tv for that. They may have dropped it for a reason and if they meant it to be removed then they probably did not install a chipset for it. I'm still waiting for an update to improve mjc on the c7000/c8000 series. It still has crappy artifacts and halos around fast moving objects. Sony's motion flow is by far the best I've seen.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson /forum/post/20218884

The only issue I have so far is with NetFlix. The TV keeps losing it's activation.

I called Samsung and the L2 tech was aware of the issue. The TVs are so new that the Netflix (and VUDU) servers don't recognize them as valid models. I'm supposed to get a call back from one of their "product experts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfost24 /forum/post/20219937

Can anyone confirm the plug shape on the PN59D7000? I'm buying a powerbridge and mount in advance of the TV arriving and need to know whether or not I need to purchase the super-slim powerbridge.

Thanks!

It's a circular plug about 1.5" in diameter.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas /forum/post/20221596

I called Samsung and the L2 tech was aware of the issue. The TVs are so new that the Netflix (and VUDU) servers don't recognize them as valid models. I'm supposed to get a call back from one of their "product experts."

It's a circular plug about 1.5" in diameter.

koffas, can you take an up-close pic of the plug when it's plugged in? I'm having my basement built out and I'm looking at buying a recessed wall outlet and I want to make sure it will fit through the recessed part.

BTW, your pics at the beginning of the thread are fantastic. Thanks for posting them.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas /forum/post/20217727

From what I've read about with the Panasonics, there can be a delay between the MLL shift and APL, making it very apparent. On my D7000, the effect is subtle because the effect is instantaneous with the APL of the frame (like an inverse ABL). And with a bright, high-APL scene, the iris is less sensitive to detecting the MLL increase.

Thanks for clarifying this koffas. I was actually going to ask you about this specific behaviour of floating blacks but you have read my mind

You see, on my previous Panasonic, a 54V20, I found the floating blacks to be intolerable due to the specific way they had implemented it (i.e scene change...wait...then black floats up/down...so annoying!). Whereas the floating blacks on my other Panasonic, a 42PZ800, are instantaneous with APL, and funnily enough I find it completely tolerable. Although on that set, the MLL itself doesn't change, just the low end gamma brightens/darkens depending on APL. But as mentioned, it's instantaneous, so on a scene change you don't even get time to see it happening.

For the Samsung though, I would have to see just how much the black level floats, and where exactly the threshold is. If the threshold is set high enough, and it's instantaneous enough, it *could* be ok.

Question: is it only the idling pixels which change in brightness, or is it the entire frame that gets brighter/darker?

#93 ·
Koffas,

Another post From a 2011 Samsung Forum(don't remember which) indicated that Samsung Rep implied that there is not a LCE feature on either the D7 or 8000 series TV. Since it appears that you were unable to determine it's use might be another conformation that it wont be an added feature?

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikOne /forum/post/20215716

Hey guys, I have been following this thread and the 2011 Samsung Plasma thread as well. Last night I went to my local brandsmart and they had a great deal on the 59D7000. Lower than anything I had seen advertised anywhere. I picked it up along with the free 3d kit. They also had a smoking deal on the onkyo 608 to replace my non-3d model. I am replacing a 58" HP DLP 5880N that I have had since 2006.

Anyways, I setup my tv last night and it was a dud. Had a huge line of dead pixels going from the top of the tv all the way to the bottom, probably half an inch wide. I called the store and they didn't have any in stock, so i will probably have to wait a few days so I can exchange. I got a 5 year in-home warranty as well and the price on that was unbelievable as well.

Apart from this issue I am happy with the aesthetic look of the tv. Its simply beautiful. I played Black ops on it last night on my ps3 and had no lag whatsoever. I am not a videophile so I will defiently need help with the settings. The picture seemed a bit dark for me in movie mode but there are tons of tweaks on this thing.

Overall i am very excited with my purchase just really bummed out that I have to deal with re-packaging this thing and lugging it back to the store when they get another one in stock so I can exchange. I'm not the type of person that overreacts to these sorts of things, I understand even the highest end models of any products can be defective. I will withhold my judgment until I get a properly working set that I can enjoy for a few weeks first.

Ok my patience paid off as I got a call from the salesman yesterday and told me they had secured my replacement from their warehouse and would have it ready the same day. I went and exchanged the tv there last night and they really made it easy. I was in and out of there in 20 minutes max.

I got the TV home, setup my new Onkyo 608 and plugged in the tv. No issues on this one. I look forward to tweaking the settings on this one and hopefully someone will post some settings to start at. I didn't try the 3D as im waiting for my 1.4 HDMI cables to get here from monoprice.

#96 ·
I will be receiving the my new Samsung P59D7000 Plasma on Friday.

I live in a co-cop apartment building and my bedroom's size is 18 x 12.5 and the viewing distance is around 10.5 feet.

I will be able to play the Plasma at normal sound levels during the day, but at lower sound levels at night due to the sleeping neighbors.

Do I need an additional sound source such the soundbars like the Zvox 525, 575, Samsung HW-C450, HW-C451, Sony CT-150, CT-350, Vizio VSB200, etc.?

I read that the Zvox soundbars are highly rated but expensive.

The Samsung soundbars work very well with the Samsung Plasmas, but they use wireless sub-woofers that can interfere with the 2.4 GHZ wireless networks.

The Sony soundbars have multiple HDMI connections on the sub-woofer, so you can control the video and audio equipment through the sub-woofer.

The Vizio soundbars are inexpensive but how is their quality?

Are these soundbars an overkill for my apartment situation, or is the sound on the Samsung P59D7000 Plasma that inferior that it needs the soundbars to project a much better and clearer sound?

Thank You.

Jonathan

#97 ·
Picked this TV up last night at Fry's. It was a managers special...hint, hint! I set it up and turned it on but that was about all I had time for. Great looking TV. I did notice a buzz when I turned it on but seem to fade after a few minutes. I also have a 58VT25 in the living room and I have to say, with "out of the box" settings the VT has noticeably darker blacks. I have the VT set on THX and the 7000 on movie. Thanks!

Edit: I have the 51"

#98 ·
I think you're slightly off topic, but you don't NEED a sound bar, all tv's produce an adequate amount of sound. I have an older Samsung Plasma and the sound is more than loud enough to get you likely in trouble by your neighbors if you crank it up.

Now having said that, the sound quality will GREATLY improve if you use an external speaker. I'm not familiar with all the different sound bars, but any one of them will be an improvement over the stock speakers from an acoustic perspective.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfisher /forum/post/20222028

koffas, can you take an up-close pic of the plug when it's plugged in? I'm having my basement built out and I'm looking at buying a recessed wall outlet and I want to make sure it will fit through the recessed part.

BTW, your pics at the beginning of the thread are fantastic. Thanks for posting them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfost24 /forum/post/20222491

Can someone with the 7000 please let me know about the plug and whether or not it's flat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yippykiyaa /forum/post/20222637

By "flat" I think that he means: When the plug from the TV is plugged into the wall outlet, the cord points straight down and would not be able to fit in a recessed outlet. Would be helpfull if someone could answer this!

The cord points down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.