AVS Forum banner
481K views 2K replies 499 participants last post by  no1special 
#1 ·
The 2011 line of LG BluRay players has finally started selling at several online retailers today. Rather than posting about these new models in the BD5xx official thread, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to the BD6xx series of 2011 BluRay players.

#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20226578

Is anyone having a problem with DivX TV today? I keep getting an error when I try to open it.

I just checked it about 30 minutes ago. No problems. Still cant find anything worth watching. Pretty nice interface. Streamed a few programs, Yesterdays? news. Cnet stuff. All worked no stutters hiccups, or other issues.

#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirical /forum/post/20227255

I just checked it about 30 minutes ago. No problems. Still cant find anything worth watching. Pretty nice interface. Streamed a few programs, Yesterdays? news. Cnet stuff. All worked no stutters hiccups, or other issues.

I updated to the .245.E firmware today and now it won't work. It gives me an "unknown error" after I click on it and it tries to load. I've even done a factory reset after updating. Weird.

#204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwecksell /forum/post/0

Does anyone here know how to use the remote for the LG 60pz550 to pull up the menus on a Blu Ray on the LG 650? My blu ray player is hidden behind the couch, and the HDMI CEC (Simplink) feature lets me turn it on by pointing the TV remote at the TV that is, obviously, in front of the couch, but I can't seem to figure out how to pull up the BD menus.

Also, intermittently, when I try to pause/FF/REW from the TV remote, the TV says that this feature is not currently available. Other times, it works great.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

As Empirical suggested, using an IR repeater, will enable you to use the BD player's native remote. I have no experience with your tv or it's remote, but I would only expect HDMI-CEC to give you basic transport functions. If you have an iOS or Android device you may also have the option of using LG's remote app, assuming your player is network connected and you have Wi-fi. The iPhone app for the Bd5x0 players will work with the BD6x0 players based on my experience with my BD670. It's harder to use than the bundled remote, but does give access to all player functions.

#205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20227526

I updated to the .245.E firmware today and now it won't work. It gives me an "unknown error" after I click on it and it tries to load. I've even done a factory reset after updating. Weird.

So, I've downgraded back to the ".211.E" firmware and DivX TV is working perfectly again. My player froze 2 times when I originally was upgrading to .245.E earlier today (it worked the third time), so maybe that had something to do with the DivX issue. Perhaps the update was corrupted or something like that. I'll try again tomorrow.

#206 ·
Can you use the DLNA feature of the BD690 to access and copy archived CD files (.wav lossless format) from the hard disk of a BD590 or from the hard disk of an Apple or PC computer to the BD690?

I have about 50GB of .wav CD files on my BD590 and don't want to go through the whole process of re-recording them from individual CDs to the BD690.

#207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20227991

So, I've downgraded back to the ".211.E" firmware and DivX TV is working perfectly again. My player froze 2 times when I originally was upgrading to .245.E earlier today (it worked the third time), so maybe that had something to do with the DivX issue. Perhaps the update was corrupted or something like that. I'll try again tomorrow.

Dead Mike,

I've been on the 245.E firmware for about two weeks, no problems with it other than the Revision 3 App stopped working earlier this week. I had upgraded via download from the LG support site and used a flash drive to update the BD670. I had read in the manual that you couldn't downgrade firmware and had also sent a note to LG asking if it could be done and they said no. I guess they were wrong if you successfully went back to .211.E. Interesting, I may do that myself to see if the Rev3 App will work with that firmware.

John

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli /forum/post/20229066

Dead Mike,

I've been on the 245.E firmware for about two weeks, no problems with it other than the Revision 3 App stopped working earlier this week. I had upgraded via download from the LG support site and used a flash drive to update the BD670. I had read in the manual that you couldn't downgrade firmware and had also sent a note to LG asking if it could be done and they said no. I guess they were wrong if you successfully went back to .211.E. Interesting, I may do that myself to see if the Rev3 App will work with that firmware.

John

Downgrading works. It works on the 2010 models, too. I don't know why LG support and their instructions say it doesn't work, but it most certainly does. Maybe they mean that you can't use the internet to downgrade. As long as you have a USB of the right firmware, you can downgrade all you want. I always make sure to keep as many different firmware as I can in the event that one firmware screws something up and I need to go back to the previous.

#209 ·
I'm actively trying to avoid using an IR repeater. All I need out of Simplink is menu, play, pause, FF/RR. My sony TV/DVD units work quite well for this, but the new LG tv was so much cheaper, and so I wen't the simplink route.

I may just have to live without a "menu" button on the TV remote. So long as I can pause and FF/RW a film, the rest is gravy.

thank you all for your reply.

#210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20229100

Downgrading works. It works on the 2010 models, too. I don't know why LG support and their instructions say it doesn't work, but it most certainly does. Maybe they mean that you can't use the internet to downgrade. As long as you have a USB of the right firmware, you can downgrade all you want. I always make sure to keep as many different firmware as I can in the event that one firmware screws something up and I need to go back to the previous.

Dead Mike,

Now that you are back to v211.E, I would be curious to know what happens if you try to upgrade firmware right from the BD670. Does it say that there is a firmware upgrade available or does it see v211.E and think that v211.E is the latest firmware??

Naturally, don't say "yes" to the upgrade if you want to stay with v211.E.

Thanks,

John

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli /forum/post/20230248

Dead Mike,

Now that you are back to v211.E, I would be curious to know what happens if you try to upgrade firmware right from the BD670. Does it say that there is a firmware upgrade available or does it see v211.E and think that v211.E is the latest firmware??

Naturally, don't say "yes" to the upgrade if you want to stay with v211.E.

Thanks,

John

It tells me there is an upgrade. I have since "hidden" the upgrade so I no longer get the pop-up when turning the device on, but it still gives me the "press B to upgrade" sign on above the home screen's icons.

I'm not going to bother with this new firmware just yet since I had to install it 3 times before it worked, and once it did install, DivX TV didn't work. I'll probably try it again shortly, but definitely not today. Not in the mood to watch it try to install for 3 more hours. lol

#212 ·
Noticed there is a new update available today version .268.E anyone have any luck downloading it? I tried but as per usual I can't download directly to the player as it ends in "update failed" and a shutdown. It's not yet posted on the LG site so I was wondering if anyone had any luck and if it provided the promised new services (Amazon, etc).

#213 ·
I have my LG BD670 blu-ray player hardware connected and installed the software that came with it, Nero MediaHome Essentials. It installed an ASP.NET account along with .NET 1.1.

Do I need an ASP.NET account for the LG blu-ray player?

I'm using a 2.4 GHz wireless connection and Windows 7.

#214 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737
Noticed there is a new update available today version .268.E anyone have any luck downloading it? I tried but as per usual I can't download directly to the player as it ends in "update failed" and a shutdown. It's not yet posted on the LG site so I was wondering if anyone had any luck and if it provided the promised new services (Amazon, etc).
Your post was my notice! I successfully downloaded it from the 690, but see nothing new. No Amazon, nor anything else immediately apparent.

#216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20231916

It tells me there is an upgrade. I have since "hidden" the upgrade so I no longer get the pop-up when turning the device on, but it still gives me the "press B to upgrade" sign on above the home screen's icons.

I'm not going to bother with this new firmware just yet since I had to install it 3 times before it worked, and once it did install, DivX TV didn't work. I'll probably try it again shortly, but definitely not today. Not in the mood to watch it try to install for 3 more hours. lol

Thanks for checking this out.

John

#217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20233185

I really wish LG's websites would update the firmware listed on there as soon as they become available. I also wish they would go into a tad bit more detail about what each update does. Oh well.

I just wish my player could actually download directly instead of having to transfer files from USB. I have never successfully downloaded a software/driver file directly to my player...each time it fails and then the player shuts down.

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 /forum/post/20233819

I just wish my player could actually download directly instead of having to transfer files from USB. I have never successfully downloaded a software/driver file directly to my player...each time it fails and then the player shuts down.

When I was updating to the .245.E firmware, it froze twice, resulting in me having to hold the power down and shut it off both times. I then did a factory reset and used a wired connection (just in case - wireless worked fine on the firmware before that one, and on the 2010 model last last) and it worked. Not sure if it was the factory reset or the wired connection that helped. Probably the factory reset, since the freezing happened during installation and not during downloading.

Just in case, unplug your player and hold the power down for 5 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. This does a "hard reset" and resets some of the internal memory (such as the last menu position and other things). Once that's done, go to options and then Initialize (factory reset). That cleared up my installation problems. Maybe it will clear yours up.

#219 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20233881

Just in case, unplug your player and hold the power down for 5 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. This does a "hard reset" and resets some of the internal memory (such as the last menu position and other things). Once that's done, go to options and then Initialize (factory reset). That cleared up my installation problems. Maybe it will clear yours up.

Thanks Mike. I will give that a shot...nothing else has worked on my end to get this player to download directly. I know the network connection is working because it sees the new software and the fact that I can use Vudu and stream music from my network server...but for whatever reason it just balks at downloading and installing firmware and/or drivers.

Edit: As an aside, I got this player as part of the BB freebie promo when buying the LW5600 series LED TV. Both units were returned to BB for replacements (on suggestion from LG CS) but both exhibited the exact symptoms of the initial units. The BD670 lack of download ability and the TV "forgets" who I am WRT the LG log in after power down even when selecting the option to remember. The bottom line is it looks like there is some immature software out there in the 2011 LG line up since I seriously doubt I had two sets of TV/BR players with EXACTLY the same hardware failures. I'm sure each of these issues (and more) will get ironed out over the coming months.

#220 ·
I removed the ASP.NET account with no problems but I found that after installing Nero MediaHome that Nero Burning ROM no longer worked. MediaHome installed an older version of Visual C++ runtime which prompted a Windows security update, and after that Burning ROM gave me a side-by-side configuration error. I removed Visual C++ and installed the latest version which fixed the error.

More Qs:

1. After I installed Nero MediaHome my login screen always appears, despite having remove the ASP account and having only *one* account enabled, my own. There is no pw on my account so it should load right into Windows 7 like it did previous to the installation instead of pausing at the welcome with a an icon/picture for my account (it's the only icon that appears).

2. Is there any way the LG player can automatically login for YouTube, Pandora, etc. without having to always enter in a login name and pw? My login name for YT is rather long and it takes a while to enter.

3. What does the new firmware (BD.8.62.268.E) fix? I don't want to update unless I'm sure it doesn't "break" anything.

#221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaltby /forum/post/20233059

Your post was my notice! I successfully downloaded it from the 690, but see nothing new. No Amazon, nor anything else immediately apparent.

Ditto for me. I learned about the update on the phone this morning w/LG support. I had signed up for MLB.tv yesterday and activated the player but I was getting an error message trying to watch the games. So they tell me to run the update and try again. Naturally, I'm still getting the same error message after ("unavailable at this time" and points me to mlb.com/faq which has zero info under its LG section about it). Meanwhile MLB.tv on my computer works fine.

Beyond that I see no new premium content, no apparent change to Netflix (checked for subtitles on a couple titles I know have it -- nada), not even any new apps. So what exactly was updated?

#222 ·
862268E just showed up, downloading now

It has been "updating" 6 minutes now. Not sure if it hung or what.... will monitor it - Installed after about 10 minutes

I think all this did was activate MLB.tv - It didn't work before I downloaded, it does now. I see no other changes.

Note today is the first day MLB should have worked, and now does. Yesterday was still spring training and those games were NOT available on LG devices, only online and on ipod / phone.

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 /forum/post/20235484

I removed the ASP.NET account with no problems but I found that after installing Nero MediaHome that Nero Burning ROM no longer worked. MediaHome installed an older version of Visual C++ runtime which prompted a Windows security update, and after that Burning ROM gave me a side-by-side configuration error. I removed Visual C++ and installed the latest version which fixed the error.

More Qs:

1. After I installed Nero MediaHome my login screen always appears, despite having remove the ASP account and having only *one* account enabled, my own. There is no pw on my account so it should load right into Windows 7 like it did previous to the installation instead of pausing at the welcome with a an icon/picture for my account (it's the only icon that appears).

2. Is there any way the LG player can automatically login for YouTube, Pandora, etc. without having to always enter in a login name and pw? My login name for YT is rather long and it takes a while to enter.

3. What does the new firmware (BD.8.62.268.E) fix? I don't want to update unless I'm sure it doesn't "break" anything.

Some questions for you. What operating system are you using (I ask because Nero can probably be avoided all together here)? You are saying that you have to log in every time you access the Premium content? That shouldn't be. It should remember your info by default. Please go into Settings, and then Initialize the player so that the memory issue can be fixed. That happened to me when I had the 2010 model, and Initializing the player fixed it right up.

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirical /forum/post/20236268

862268E just showed up, downloading now

It has been "updating" 6 minutes now. Not sure if it hung or what.... will monitor it

I think all this did was activate MLB.tv - It didn't work before I downloaded, it does now.

It took a long time for me too. Actually the update failed the first time and then it took several minutes when it did work.

And I'm not sure if the update is what activated MLB.tv. I did some googling after my post this morning and read that pre-season games were never being offered via the LG players. Which would explain why it didn't work before today but is now. (It's working now for me too but if I go back to yesterday's games I still get the same error message I was getting before). And if allowing access for the regular season games is all that this update was about, that's pretty disappointing. Because there's no reason they couldn't have offered the spring training games like Samsung did with its players, and failing that there's certainly no reason they had to keep us in the dark about the fact that spring games weren't being provided (didn't say in the error message, LG customer support didn't know, and it's nowhere on MLB.tv's LG info either). So that doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.

BTW, how's your picture quality on MLB.tv? I've watched a couple minutes each of the Yankees-Tigers and Braves-Nationals and I can't say I'm impressed so far.

#225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador /forum/post/20236719

It took a long time for me too. Actually the update failed the first time and then it took several minutes when it did work.

And I'm not sure if the update is what activated MLB.tv. I did some googling after my post this morning and read that pre-season games were never being offered via the LG players. Which would explain why it didn't work before today but is now. (It's working now for me too but if I go back to yesterday's games I still get the same error message I was getting before). And if allowing access for the regular season games is all that this update was about, that's pretty disappointing. Because there's no reason they couldn't have offered the spring training games like Samsung did with its players, and failing that there's certainly no reason they had to keep us in the dark about the fact that spring games weren't being provided (didn't say in the error message, LG customer support didn't know, and it's nowhere on MLB.tv's LG info either). So that doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.

BTW, how's your picture quality on MLB.tv? I've watched a couple minutes each of the Yankees-Tigers and Braves-Nationals and I can't say I'm impressed so far.

The PQ is weak compared to the PC or the IPOD, the IPOD of course benefitting from a tiny screen.

I think it will be "good enough"

#226 ·
Hi,I just phoned lg and they stated that the BDS90 with the 250 gb hard drive is discontinued.In retro respect I'm still thinking of purchasing the unit,though they stated beings that its discontinued,they no longer will answer any questions and to ask the store for information.Most people in the stores R SHARP LIKE SPOON and leave you paddling without a paddle,,,,With my understanding,the BD590 can load my home movies into the hard drive,Can I transfer my videos from the BD590 hard drive to a usb stick in a Dvix format..With this in mind ,could I possibly load the usb stick from the lg into my ps3 hard drive which in turn has a larger hard drive with an external hard drive too.Hope some one can answer this,,muchly appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.