AVS Forum banner
481K views 2K replies 499 participants last post by  no1special 
#1 ·
The 2011 line of LG BluRay players has finally started selling at several online retailers today. Rather than posting about these new models in the BD5xx official thread, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to the BD6xx series of 2011 BluRay players.

#228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirical /forum/post/20236771

The PQ is weak compared to the PC or the IPOD, the IPOD of course benefitting from a tiny screen.

I think it will be "good enough"

Was a gorgeous picture on my 570...when it worked. The 5xx series won't play more than 20 seconds before a can't connect to server error shows. MLB.TV is crazy in the forums there about pissed off people. Me being one of them.

#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 /forum/post/20234106

Thanks Mike. I will give that a shot...nothing else has worked on my end to get this player to download directly. I know the network connection is working because it sees the new software and the fact that I can use Vudu and stream music from my network server...but for whatever reason it just balks at downloading and installing firmware and/or drivers.

No luck with this...still fails every attempt at downloading. Guess I will have to wait until LG posts it on the website. I guess my 670 is never going to be able to download directly...go figure!

Any idea why LG has the last two driver files posted on the website? H90356 and H90358 are both posted. I have loaded H90358 and skipped H90356 (mine came with H90301 I think)

#230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20236324

Some questions for you. What operating system are you using (I ask because Nero can probably be avoided all together here)? You are saying that you have to log in every time you access the Premium content? That shouldn't be. It should remember your info by default. Please go into Settings, and then Initialize the player so that the memory issue can be fixed. That happened to me when I had the 2010 model, and Initializing the player fixed it right up.

My first question refers to the behavior of my PC.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with only the Admin acct enabled under my name. Before I installed MediaHome my PC would boot to the Windows desktop.

Now when it boots it displays the welcome screen with an icon for my account, requiring me to hit Enter before I get to the desktop (there is no pw assigned to the account). I'd rather my PC just boot to the desktop.

I think you answered my second question (thanks!) so I will initialize the player as you've mentioned to get the accounts (YT, Pandora, etc) on my LG BD670 saved. I haven't set up the premium content yet.

#231 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 /forum/post/20237515

No luck with this...still fails every attempt at downloading. Guess I will have to wait until LG posts it on the website. I guess my 670 is never going to be able to download directly...go figure!

Any idea why LG has the last two driver files posted on the website? H90356 and H90358 are both posted. I have loaded H90358 and skipped H90356 (mine came with H90301 I think)

Man, that's so weird. That must be really annoying! As for the driver updates... They often do that. There were some times with the 2010 models where they had 2 different driver updates and 3 different firmware updates all on the same page. I kind of prefer this, in the event that one update gives you a problem, you can go back to an older one. The most stable update for the 2010 models is still the .211.C update.

#232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20237537

Man, that's so weird. That must be really annoying! As for the driver updates... They often do that. There were some times with the 2010 models where they had 2 different driver updates and 3 different firmware updates all on the same page. I kind of prefer this, in the event that one update gives you a problem, you can go back to an older one. The most stable update for the 2010 models is still the .211.C update.

My next attempt will be to try the H90356 driver...maybe I will have better luck.

#233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 /forum/post/20237533

My first question refers to the behavior of my PC.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with only the Admin acct enabled under my name. Before I installed MediaHome my PC would boot to the Windows desktop.

Now when it boots it displays the welcome screen with an icon for my account, requiring me to hit Enter before I get to the desktop (there is no pw assigned to the account). I'd rather my PC just boot to the desktop.

I think you answered my second question (thanks!) so I will initialize the player as you've mentioned to get the accounts (YT, Pandora, etc) on my LG BD670 saved. I haven't set up the premium content yet.

Windows 7? Good. If you want to completely bypass Nero, and not require any other files to be installed, I recommend using the Homegroup method. When your LG is turned on and connected to the internet, go into Homegroup (on your PC), click View Homegroup Settings, then click "Choose media streaming options..." Click on ALL NETWORKS and you should see an "Unknown device" that is BLOCKED. Switch it to ALLOWED and you should be able to now stream everything using the WMP12 server built in to Windows 7.

Of course, you could try streaming the other way (using the log on), but this is a fairly simple method that requires no passwords or additional software to use.

As for your issue with the PC (where Windows is basically making you "log in"):

There are a few ways to fix this but I do this: Go into the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management. Expand "Local Users and Groups", highlight "Users" and you should see your account in the right pane. Right click on your account and set a password.

Follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, and type "control userpasswords2" without quotes.

2. Highlight your account and un-check the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

3. Click Apply.

4. Enter the password, then click OK.

5. Click OK again and you're all done.

Let me know how all of this goes for you.

#238 ·
Hi everyone, I own an lgb570 and I am curious about the new models. So it sounds like that there are basically no new internet apps of any interest now but that they say there are going to start adding better ones in the near future?

Is streaming or usb playback improved or changed in any way?

Also, on my 570 there is sometimes an issue with the framerate on the playback of certain avi files. Is this still an isse on the 6xx series?

Also the 5xx series seems to have an issue with 24hz, does this happen on the 6xx series as well?

Thanks!

#239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20237567

If you want to completely bypass Nero, and not require any other files to be installed, I recommend using the Homegroup method. When your LG is turned on and connected to the internet, go into Homegroup (on your PC), click View Homegroup Settings, then click "Choose media streaming options..." Click on ALL NETWORKS and you should see an "Unknown device" that is BLOCKED. Switch it to ALLOWED and you should be able to now stream everything using the WMP12 server built in to Windows 7.

When you say " when your LG is turned on and connected to the internet" do you mean a wired connection? I'm using a wireless connection for the LG and it doesn't show up under ALL NETWORKS. The only two that show up are the following (see below). Both have an Allowed status. No "unknown device" appears. Network Discovery is enabled and the WMP Network Sharing Service is started/running. Under the WMP Stream menu I have the "Automatically allow devices to play my media..." option checked.

- Media Programs on this PC and remote connections...

- Johns-PC

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 /forum/post/20242867

When you say " when your LG is turned on and connected to the internet" do you mean a wired connection? I'm using a wireless connection for the LG and it doesn't show up under ALL NETWORKS. The only two that show up are the following (see below). Both have an Allowed status. No "unknown device" appears. Network Discovery is enabled and the WMP Network Sharing Service is started/running. Under the WMP Stream menu I have the "Automatically allow devices to play my media..." option checked.

- Media Programs on this PC and remote connections...

- Johns-PC

Yeah, it should show up when connected with WiFi. Both Wired and Wireless connection will have different MAC addresses, and both should show up separately when you check ALL NETWORKS, each being a different "UNKNOWN DEVICE."

Under ALL NETWORKS for me, I have "Media Programs on this PC and remote connections," two separate ones for my PC (one is my PC's MAC and the other is for my Bluetooth), both LG MAC addresses (Wired and Wireless), and my Xbox 360. If your LG is connected with WiFi, the WiFi MAC should definitely show up... You having "Automatically allow devices to play my media..." should make sure that it works, too.

There's really no reason the LG shouldn't show up under ALL NETWORKS. Any device that connects to my network shows up there. I know various others who have no problem with this method, too. Very strange. Those two connections you mentioned should be the only thing shown under LOCAL NETWORK, but ALL NETWORK should definitely show you every device that has connected to your PC.

Did my information about the PC help your computer log in to your account automatically?

#241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20242961

Yeah, it should show up when connected with WiFi. Both Wired and Wireless connection will have different MAC addresses, and both should show up separately when you check ALL NETWORKS, each being a different "UNKNOWN DEVICE."

Under ALL NETWORKS for me, I have "Media Programs on this PC and remote connections," two separate ones for my PC (one is my PC's MAC and the other is for my Bluetooth), both LG MAC addresses (Wired and Wireless), and my Xbox 360. If your LG is connected with WiFi, the WiFi MAC should definitely show up... You having "Automatically allow devices to play my media..." should make sure that it works, too.

There's really no reason the LG shouldn't show up under ALL NETWORKS. Any device that connects to my network shows up there. I know various others who have no problem with this method, too. Very strange. Those two connections you mentioned should be the only thing shown under LOCAL NETWORK, but ALL NETWORK should definitely show you every device that has connected to your PC.

Did my information about the PC help your computer log in to your account automatically?

I restored from a backup previous to installing MediaHome where I didn't have the logon screen issue, so I didn't have to use the info you provided--but thanks, I will keep it handy.

I got the LG to work but the device only sees the Windows default libraries (Music, Pics, Videos). I have a bunch of subfolders to organize my movies and pics so some of them are deeply nested, so it takes a while to navigate to them. MediaHome allowed me to specify a folder that I could go to right away and navigation was easier. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.

#242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 /forum/post/20243326

I restored from a backup previous to installing MediaHome where I didn't have the logon screen issue, so I didn't have to use the info you provided--but thanks, I will keep it handy.

I got the LG to work but the device only sees the Windows default libraries (Music, Pics, Videos). I have a bunch of subfolders to organize my movies and pics so some of them are deeply nested, so it takes a while to navigate to them. MediaHome allowed me to specify a folder that I could go to right away and navigation was easier. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.

Don't think you're overlooking anything. Mine is the same way, however, when I click Videos, I then click "Folders" instead of "All Files" - this displays my videos the same exact way my computer would. The videos I leave out in the open are in my Videos folder, but I also see my various folders inside of the Videos folder, such as different seasons of television shows, etc...

I don't think there is a way to just jump right to a specific folder (unless you "Stopped" sharing other folders in Homegroup, that way they get ignored), but as long as everything is in your Videos folder, you will be able to see it just like your computer would as long as you click Folders instead of All Files. I hope that information helps!

#243 ·
I bought the LG BD650 a few weeks ago online. Today I got the pop-up to apply my firmware update. I tried three times and each either froze or failed. I then tried the factory reset and still no luck. I then tried to put the update on a USB thumb drive. While my 650 sees the thumb drive, it only wants the update from the network. I even disconnected the Ethernet jack and I got a message that it couldn't do the update because the network was not available.

I have a pretty good wireless network. I have one Airport Extreme running 802.11n at 5Ghz in an extended configuration with another Airport Extreme upstairs. We have Verizon Fios, 50Mb down...

Anyway what I noticed was that when the file finally downloaded and was on the unit, it then gave me a different menu where I had a choice to bypass the upgrade and wait for the next one. So the firmware applied and rebooted with no message. When the 650 booted back up, it said it was finishing the firmware upgrade which it did in just a few seconds. I then tried to go into MLB, which was already on my system before the firmware upgrade and it rebooted the machine. I tried it again and had the same result.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

#244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 /forum/post/20243326

The 650 sees many things on my Network. Two twonky servers, Vuze, my wife's Windows 7 computer. So I'm really excited to see the best ways to stream DVD's and possibly Blu-Ray. Good Luck.

#247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirical /forum/post/20236771

The PQ is weak compared to the PC or the IPOD, the IPOD of course benefitting from a tiny screen.

I think it will be "good enough"

I have to revise my thoughts on the MLB stream picture quality via the BD650. After watching several games now I would say it's very good, not excellent, but very good. I am watching on a 60" set. One note, I have not found any games yet that have allowed me to switch feeds.

#249 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by portezbie
Can anyone compare the 600 series to the 500 series for me? I'm curious to know what new apps the 600 series currently has and which ones they are planning to add. Also, has video file playback or dlna been improved at all? What about the 24hz skipping issues? Thanks!
These are the following Netcast apps at launch:

Netflix

CinemaNow

DivX TV

Accedo+

vTuner

Accuweather

YouTube

Vudu

Napster

Pandora

Viewster

MLB.TV

and a "COMING SOON" box.

There are also things called "LG TV Apps," though none of them interest me at the moment. LG promises some big app updates (something like Amazon VOD or Hulu Plus, and a ton of LG TV Apps) so I'll check it out again later.

Accedo+, vTuner and Viewster seem to be new. vTuner is very cool. It's basically internet radio. It has your local radio stations, radio stations from other states and countries, and some HD radio stations. Viewster seems like a VUDU/Cinemanow type of thing, but for low budget movies. Can't remember what Accedo+ is - I think it's kids games or something like that. I do really like vTuner, though!

As of now, there are no 24hz issues. The player also boots up instantly, which is nice. As for DLNA playback, I never really had any "issues" before. Sometimes I wouldn't be able to rewind or fast forward certain things. Out of all the files I tried, everything seemed to work fine. One cool thing that they added was that now I can see thumbnails for my files. Movies have a It's definitely a nice upgrade.

There is also this WiFi Direct thing, but I'm not exactly sure how to use it at the moment.

#250 ·
thanks for the info!

Maybe this is just me, but on my bd570 I sometimes have issues with playback of avi files although it has mostly been fixed. Something goes wrong with the framerate I think. Sounds like this hasn't been an issue with the 600 series though from what you are saying.

#251 ·
I'm a complete newbie to LG TVs & Blu-ray players, so please bear with me. While waiting for delivery of a LG 47LV5500 Smart TV and the LG BD640 Network Blu-ray player, I'm trying to learn about the internet connectivity features of them. I've already scanned through a lot of the helpful information on this & the Plex forums but I'm still some what unclear about how they work. I'd really appreciate some help with this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the internet connectivity of both is based on the Plex Media Server software. If so, what are the differences &/or similarities of the LG Network on the BD640 Blu-ray player as compared to that on the LG Smart TV? I ask because I see that the BD670 Blu-ray player claims to support Smart TV (rather than the LG Network).

#252 ·
Hey guys...I currently have a BD370 but I'm looking to upgrade. However, I don't need Wifi, a built-in hard drive, or 3D capability. Going by that, it looks like I'm looking at the 630, 640 or 650.

What exactly are the differences between these 3 players? If I use LG's website as a barometer, they're all almost identical (and the 650 isn't even listed). The only thing I notice is that the 630 doesn't support Wifi at all whereas the 640 and 650 do with an adapter.

I'm basically looking for a replacement for my BD370 (Blu-Ray/DVD playback and Netflix streaming are all I really need) that could also replace my ancient WD Media Player for my videos.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.