AVS Forum banner

Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]

592K views 4K replies 704 participants last post by  tkc 
#1 ·
The GT30 is now becoming available, time to start an official thread for it

Here's a link (below) to D-Nice's 2011 ST30/GT30/VT30 Reference Settings Thread..... Post #1 is how to properly prepare

the panel, and Post #3 has his reference settings to use on the GT30 after faithfully completing the procedure in post #1:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371710

Here's a Link to Operating Manual:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TCP50GT30.PDF

There is a glaring mis-print in the manual - it says the TV has a 96Hz option but that's incorrect - it does not have this. It is confirmed that it's mis-print.

Edit - A few said that the manual booklet that came with their TV contained an insert with the correction.

Here's a link to D-Nice's 2011 Panel Aging Procedure:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...08&postcount=1

Here's a link to the Official GT30 SETTINGS Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340522

The GT30 shares the exact same Plasma Panel and AR Filter with the ST30, but adds:

1. THX Mode

2. Slightly Better Black Levels

3. Narrower Bezel with a Silver Outer Trim Surround

4. Thinner Rear Cabinet and Bezel

5. Four HDMI Inputs (all mounted on the left side) compared to 3 on the ST30

6. VGA PC Input (but limited to 768p signal so it's kinda useless and looks like ass)

MSRP upon release:

Panasonic GT30 will become available in March in the 50 and 55-inch screen sizes:

TC-P50GT30 $1,899.95 MSRP

TC-P55GT30 $2,199.95 MSRP

The 60 and 65 inchers will be available in April:

TC-P60GT30 $2,799.95 MSRP

TC-P65GT30 $3,599.95 MSRP

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/20242598

It's entirely possible that their GT25 accumulated enough hours since their last measurement that it had it's first programmed black level rise. They measured .003 on the GT25 a few weeks ago and now it's at .006 according to their new measurement.

Where is this information at? I have yet to read a GT25 measure at .003 (even my own measurements are very close to the .005). Measured that way from day 1.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/20240054

Once you start actually measuring TVs, you find that manufacturer's claims are more like goals while looking through rose colored glasses, and their settings labels are more like Christmas wish lists...

Ok, so even if the TV has the option to set it to 2.2 or 2.4 and it isn't exactly accurate, can't you get close? I have to imagine that if you have gamma settings, there is at least a setting in the bunch that get you closer than "bad" or "way" off. I have never understood why Gama can't at least always be close by at least tweaking said setting rather than completely off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic /forum/post/20241502

The problem doesn't seem so much black level measurement but people are paying more for THX and it's crap.

I love my THX mode from my 2008, and I have no indicators that it has gotten worse, only that the TV's have gotten better. So unless the gamma setting is "broken" (and people are saying it was tweaked "to" 1.9 in THX mode, which I find confusing since they also said gamma cannot be adjusted in THX mode...), I am wondering if it really "looks" bad, since one of the reasons I loved my 800u and am going back to Panasonic again is for that very accurate and solid looking THX mode that I have already been enjoying a 3 year old set.

#79 ·
It doesn't really matter if the panel is .005 or .006 even, because even going from .008 to .006 increases the ANSI contrast by around a 1000 more than the ST30. That'll amount to a big difference on screen.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMizzle /forum/post/20242883

I just purchased a P50GT25 from Costco for a great price about a week ago. I love it so far. Today the EPP Panasonic site has the P50GT30 for even cheaper (insane deal right now). I've done some research online and the only big difference I've noticed is that the P50GT30 has built in wireless.

Other than that, what are the main differences? Is it worth it return my 50GT25 TV to Costco for the newer 2011 50GT30 (plus save $100)? Is the P50GT30 a "better TV"?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Get the GT30, it's a better tv.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/20242598

It's entirely possible that their GT25 accumulated enough hours since their last measurement that it had it's first programmed black level rise. They measured .003 on the GT25 a few weeks ago and now it's at .006 according to their new measurement.

Well, the other thing is while the GT25 and the ST30 now measured the same, the GT25 is still looking darker on a 0IRE screen than the ST30, with the GT30 looking darker than that.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl4069 /forum/post/20242334

"The important thing is that the GT30 was measured at .0042 fL and had a visually lower MLL than the GT25 when set side by side, and the GT25 we know is .005 fL."

Is there anywhere we can go to read this comparison report? thanks, j

SO does the lack of reply mean that really no one knows where one could go to read up of the side to side comparison. Or are people on here , just being arrogant? thanks, j

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl4069 /forum/post/20243912

SO does the lack of reply mean that really no one knows where one could go to read up of the side to side comparison. Or are people on here , just being arrogant? thanks, j

It's posted at HDJ forum. Google it. We aren't allowed to link to them or even say the full name because AVS will censor the link.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper /forum/post/20244669

I was reading that the low gammas can be raise higher in the "in service" menu that only techs and calibrators know how to get into. Is this true? can someone confirm this? Is this tv even worth buying with 1.9 gamma, should i just save the money and get the ST instead?

The out of the box gamma is apparently 1.1 which is way, way lower than it should be. 1.9 was achieved after some calibration work.

I think it is too soon to say that this is a major problem, as it could be a service menu fix, or, hopefully Panasonic will own up to this and provide a firmware fix.

THX mode is one of the major step ups between ST30 and GT30 so it is mind boggling that THX does not have 2.2 gamma at a minimum.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper /forum/post/0

I was reading that the low gammas can be raise higher in the "in service" menu that only techs and calibrators know how to get into. Is this true? can someone confirm this? Is this tv even worth buying with 1.9 gamma, should i just save the money and get the ST instead?

False

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper /forum/post/20244669

Where did you read that and where they talking about this set specifically?

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/20244685

The out of the box gamma is apparently 1.1 which is way, way lower than it should be. 1.9 was achieved after some calibration work.

I think it is too soon to say that this is a major problem, as it could be a service menu fix, or, hopefully Panasonic will own up to this and provide a firmware fix.

THX mode is one of the major step ups between ST30 and GT30 so it is mind boggling that THX does not have 2.2 gamma at a minimum.

I wouldn't recommend this tv to anyone that expects the THX to be great, out of the box and who doesn't plan on getting it calibrated by a professional (other than BB).

The exception would be if D-Nice says he can get it up to standard and that anyone else could as well.

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut /forum/post/20243192

Ok, so even if the TV has the option to set it to 2.2 or 2.4 and it isn't exactly accurate, can't you get close? I have to imagine that if you have gamma settings, there is at least a setting in the bunch that get you closer than "bad" or "way" off. I have never understood why Gama can't at least always be close by at least tweaking said setting rather than completely off.

I love my THX mode from my 2008, and I have no indicators that it has gotten worse, only that the TV's have gotten better. So unless the gamma setting is "broken" (and people are saying it was tweaked "to" 1.9 in THX mode, which I find confusing since they also said gamma cannot be adjusted in THX mode...), I am wondering if it really "looks" bad, since one of the reasons I loved my 800u and am going back to Panasonic again is for that very accurate and solid looking THX mode that I have already been enjoying a 3 year old set.

I have the G25 (still breaking it in) and I really like THX for some things but I like Custom even better. I was hot for the GT30 after buying the G25 in January and this is the reason I'm so disappointed.

I saw the mini-shootout on HDJ and I thought the detail in the ST30 made it a better set than the GT25 also it doesn't have the problems associated with the GT25 either. I'd have no problem owning the ST30 but I'd wait a bit before buying too.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 /forum/post/20244998

I keep hearing different from everyone.

So which is the ideal gamma for pure dark room viewing? 2.2 or 2.5? Thanks.

2.5-2.6 is recommended for pitch dark room (as per digital cinema according to Spectracal).

2.4 for dimly lit room (this is what most studio monitors use for mastering content).

2.2 for daytime viewing to compensate for ambient light.

Sources
http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/...0_2.2or2.4.pdf
http://www.poynton.com/notes/PU-PR-I...n-PU-PR-IS.pdf
http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/GammaFAQ.pdf
http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/Rehabilitation_of_gamma.pdf

#97 ·
I just ordered yesterday and expect to get the P50GT30 within two weeks. I will post my review after i get it setup.

Unless I get a dud, I should be very happy with my decision. The price that I paid was simply amazing on the Panasonic EPP site.

#99 ·
Here's some good information on gamma (with screen shots
).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/what-...0080511108.htm

I understand that changing certain other settings can impact gamma. What impact does changing those settings, to account for a very low gamma, have on the over all picture quality? Does it limit what the person calibrating can achieve or just make it more difficult? If luminance is capped doesn't that make it even more difficult or limit what can be accomplished?

#100 ·
I did the same as you. The deal was so amazing, I'm expecting them to cancel my order. Yesterday's prices must have been a mistake, or some kind of cruel April Fools' prank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz /forum/post/20245429

I just ordered yesterday and expect to get the P50GT30 within two weeks. I will post my review after i get it setup.

Unless I get a dud, I should be very happy with my decision. The price that I paid was simply amazing on the Panasonic EPP site.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/20237207

Silver trim is on both the inner and outer framing of the bezel.

And here's a picture (of the UK Version) where the silver trim where the inner bezel meets the screen.

I've already lamented on HDJ how it may end up being distracting, and now i'm wondering if they placed it there to give some sort of illusion about the black level being better than it really is when comparing the image to the black bezel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.