AVS Forum banner

Tron Legacy comparison *PIX*

19K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  Deviation 
#1 ·
See less See more
#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbo /forum/post/20248912

CG Bridges looks more convicing in the DVD shot, in the first post.

lol

That's the first thing I thought.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/20249015

That's the first thing I thought.

I think the problem is that his face in the movie looks like a younger version of his current face. Where he looked a bit different overall when he was younger.. Your mind knows this, and thinks it looks fake.. When I look at the Blu shot, there is nothing technically wrong with his (CGI) face, it just looks off.

#31 ·
Talk about a difference in perception. I was 12 when TRON first came out in theaters and I saw it at least a dozen times in the first month of release. The movie was a magical experience. Kinda like Star Wars was the first time I saw it at 7.

My wife was 4 when it came out so she was too young to see it and actually never saw it until she saw it yesterday since we were going to watch Legacy and she needed the back-story.

I had warned her that the CGI was groundbreaking for 1982; but in 2011 even that did not help the initial magic that was missing not seeing the film back in 1982. Let's just say that the initial TRON (Classic) experience was not the same for the two of us. She thought the original was a horrid mess that had no viable plot, dialogue was condescending, and the effects were just ridiculous.

Reminds me of the line in Everlast's "What It's Like" :

"You know where it ends

Yo, it usually depends on where you start"

#32 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy
Talk about a difference in perception. I was 12 when TRON first came out in theaters and I saw it at least a dozen times in the first month of release. The movie was a magical experience. Kinda like Star Wars was the first time I saw it at 7.

My wife was 4 when it came out so she was too young to see it and actually never saw it until she saw it yesterday since we were going to watch Legacy and she needed the back-story.

I had warned her that the CGI was groundbreaking for 1982; but in 2011 even that did not help the initial magic that was missing not seeing the film back in 1982. Let's just say that the initial TRON (Classic) experience was not the same for the two of us. She thought the original was a horrid mess that had no viable plot, dialogue was condescending, and the effects were just ridiculous.

Reminds me of the line in Everlast's "What It's Like" :

"You know where it ends

Yo, it usually depends on where you start"
I recall thinking that it was kind of neat with the effects, the cycles mostly, and all but ultimately a bit silly with the plot/dialogue. I seem to recall most people enjoying it (if not taking the story too seriously and certainly not literally), but nothing that blew people away like Star Wars by any means.

#34 ·
loved the original Tron, and now being 36 I find it just 'fun'. It would be nice to have the blu of it, although the 20th Ann. DVD is not too shabby. I haven't seen Legacy yet, and at this point, not all that excited to see it. I'm sure it's better than all the other crap that's coming out of Hollywood these days. Definitely a rent, then a possible buy. I might end up really liking the film. who knows........

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/20239270

Mind if I put my original Tron comparisons here?

Blu-ray | Full bitrate HDNet (DVD is from the same master)

Looks like there's a some Lucas-ing going on in #12

WTF? That just looks...weird.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/20260909

It's funny they left the matte lines and grain alone but added this... grainless plastic thing in front. What the heck is it?

The DVD screenshots of Tron: Legacy look like a recording made on an early generation DVD recorder. They certainly aren't bothering to optimize encoding on DVDs these days (not that it would help much if they did).

#39 ·
If they had just thrown in some digital grain in that shot, I would have never even noticed it. What were they thinking???

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 /forum/post/20249587

I think the problem is that his face in the movie looks like a younger version of his current face. Where he looked a bit different overall when he was younger.. Your mind knows this, and thinks it looks fake.. When I look at the Blu shot, there is nothing technically wrong with his (CGI) face, it just looks off.

Yea they did an artists impression of his young face, he doesn't quite look like tron 1 jeff bridges. The sagging/face muscles skin of the old bridges acting probably didn't translate perfectly either. The guy they mapped the face onto was also more handsome than bridges, and so the face sorta is a hybrid, atleast from what I've seen of the special features.

The more blurred the shot the easier it is to sell it. The flashback with both young flynn and young tron without his mask looked pretty real, as it was in memory haze-o-vision.

But still, the other stuff in that film look amazing on bluray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/20254946

loved the original Tron, and now being 36 I find it just 'fun'. It would be nice to have the blu of it, although the 20th Ann. DVD is not too shabby. I haven't seen Legacy yet, and at this point, not all that excited to see it. I'm sure it's better than all the other crap that's coming out of Hollywood these days. Definitely a rent, then a possible buy. I might end up really liking the film. who knows........

It is worth seeing. If you liked the original tron you should like legacy, to be honest the original trons story was very weak, so that they got even this far with legacy is an achievement, it isn't perfect, but it is a fun ride. The visuals and sound track are top notch. If you go back and watch the first tron maybe you'll reassess its value free from nostalgia
I originally saw tron 1 on dvd, being that it was before my time, my assesment was more like Killroy's wifes...which is why I was surprised they got anything out of legacy at all. So best to watch tron 1 again first, to set your base line.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/20260909

I just checked the spot on the disc... it's the scene right before they find the energy pool. At first I thought maybe the screen cap just happened to catch an anomoly (a glitch on the grid!), but it's there through the whole shot.

This looks like a mistake to me... like a matting problem? Anyone contact Disney yet?

#45 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
Not intended to. His scenes with young Sam take place a decade after the first 'Tron'. They used Jeff Bridges face from 'Against All Odds' as their target.
Oh ok. I haven't seen much of young jeff bridges beyond tron so I don't have much of a baseline.

The cg does work at times, like half the time he does look pretty convincing.

#46 ·
Regarding the Lucas'd shot on the BD of original Tron:

I must echo my hatred of alterations to movies, but I have a theory as to why this particular one was made.

If you do a comparison between the blu-ray and the older master, you'll notice there is more of the (presumably original 1982) image visible on the left side of the frame. This is a difference I'm not seeing in any of the other screenshots, where the framing is almost identical, certainly not as disparate as we're seeing with this particular shot.

My theory is that there was something visible, perhaps on the top and bottom of the frame, that the filmmakers didn't intend. So maybe it was simply cropped out on the older transfers but for this new one they decided to retain the usable parts and simply matte out the undesired stuff.

Again, this is only a theory.

#47 ·
Ugh...Having bought the 5-disc set, I decided to compare the BD and DVD of Legacy on the comp. And I gotta say, the DVD looks ugly as hell. For example, in the BD's Disney logo opening, there were some great details that I could make out in the wireframes of the castle and whatnot. But on the DVD, I felt like I was looking at a Chinese bootleg! The details were gone and if that wasn't bad enough, the image itself was like artifacts galore. And don't even get me started on the grid.

*Shudders*

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 /forum/post/20285664

Ugh...Having bought the 5-disc set, I decided to compare the BD and DVD of Legacy on the comp. And I gotta say, the DVD looks ugly as hell. For example, in the BD's Disney logo opening, there were some great details that I could make out in the wireframes of the castle and whatnot. But on the DVD, I felt like I was looking at a Chinese bootleg! The details were gone and if that wasn't bad enough, the image itself was like artifacts galore. And don't even get me started on the grid.

*Shudders*

DVD standards really have dropped, lately. Warner did something similar with the 'Inception' DVD. Plus, they only used a 4.7GB DVD. I guess this is the studio's way of getting people off DVD.

"The DVD looks so bad!!"

"Well, when you get a Blu-ray player, you'll see how good the movie really looks!"

#49 ·

Quote:
DVD standards really have dropped, lately. Warner did something similar with the 'Inception' DVD. Plus, they only used a 4.7GB DVD. I guess this is the studio's way of getting people off DVD.

"The DVD looks so bad!!"

"Well, when you get a Blu-ray player, you'll see how good the movie really looks!"

Pretty sad if you ask me.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensboroMan07 /forum/post/20286327

Pretty sad if you ask me.

Yeah. When studios have to resort to sabotaging the quality of their DVDs just to make Blu-ray look "that much better," maybe they should just accept that people aren't ready to give up on DVD yet. There's no excuse for the DVDs looking as bad as they do. DVDs are capable of some pretty decent images (especially those Superbit DVDs). There's no reason to make the DVDs look this bad unless they are blatantly sabotaging them just so people stop using them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.