AVS Forum banner

Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread

164K views 1K replies 148 participants last post by  Brainiac427 
#1 ·
There is no owners thread for this lovely TV and I had the pleasure of watching the NBA playoffs on this TV today at my good friends so I decided I'll start with my critiques on this TV. Let's get this thread going, this is an amaazing TV and has not got the love it deserves.

The first thing I noticed about this tv is it's sexy styling. For a plasma tv it's bezel is very thin. Not as thin as these edge lit lcd's that are hairline thin but it's a lot thinner then plasmas have traditionally been. With the screen off it looks very black but does pick up reflections quite bad. Even though it has a tru black filter it still handles reflections pretty poor which seems to be a problem of most plasmas. With it turned on though the reflections seem to disappear and they are no longer distracting.

I watched an NBA game on ESPN HD on this tv it was fantastic. ESPN HD is broadcast in 720p and I really thought it was 1080p quality. Everything was sharp and crisp. The motion resolution is absolutely fantastic. There was 0 motion blur on fast moving action. Blacks seemed truly black and colors were vibrant and created a nice sense of pop.

I played with the magic motion remote control and it worked exactly as advertised. I can imagine when using the tv's web browser this remote will be really handy for browsing the web and clicking links and buttons. I'd say this remote is the best solution for browsing the web on a tv.

I really don't have any negative things to say about this tv. I saw the 60 inch version but im sure the 50 inch version would be equally stunning. At a price of 1920.00 for a 60 inch plasma with these kind of features you really cant beat it. This tv competes with tv's costing over 1000 dollars more and holds its own very well. If you are on a budget i highly recommend giving this tv a chance.

See less See more
#27 ·
I have had the 60PZ950 for one week now and have been playing with some of the settings. This is my first plasma set, as I have had many LCD sets, mostly Sharp in the past. I understand that these sets should be run in first and then calibrated for the best performance, but, so far, I am on the fence about the PQ. At the same time I changed TVs, I also went from Comcast cable to Dish Satellite. So, I am not sure what the contributors are. My Sharp LC-60E88UN had the best picture I have ever seen and with little adjustments necessary. I suppose the plasma setting procedure is more complex and it does have many more adjustments. Also, I was a little disappointed to find out the LG does not have a flash player, so the streaming videos can only be done with apps. With the full browser, I was hoping to access the major networks and watch full episodes, but, no luck. I would be interested if someone would post detailed setup adjustments. Often times, the faces appear dirty. I tried all of the picture modes and some reduce the dirty face appearance but I am not happy yet with the sharpness and coloring. I decided to start over and did a factory reset and will spend some more time on it. So far I have about 90 hours on the PX950. Any constructive comments would be appreciated.

#29 ·
we have the PZ950 and use comcast. if it would be helpful to you, i could try to take some pictures of a screen (e.g. a news anchor's face) that you could subsequently find and put up on your set for comparison. let me know.

also: we went from a CRT to a plasma, so i don't have any LCD tv comparison to offer -- except that we sometimes used to use our 27" imac as a "tv" before we got the PZ. i've found that the plasma is a very different experience from the mac's LCD -- less crystalline (natch) sharp, but much more immersive and rich.

i'm not trying to be an apologist or booster for plasma -- or the PZ, for that matter. it's possible there's something wrong with your set. or maybe the switch from cable? or maybe the plasma look just doesn't work for you. in any event, hope you can get to a happy place with your new set.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrocks /forum/post/20372430

I have had the 60PZ950 for one week now and have been playing with some of the settings. This is my first plasma set, as I have had many LCD sets, mostly Sharp in the past. I understand that these sets should be run in first and then calibrated for the best performance, but, so far, I am on the fence about the PQ. At the same time I changed TVs, I also went from Comcast cable to Dish Satellite. So, I am not sure what the contributors are. My Sharp LC-60E88UN had the best picture I have ever seen and with little adjustments necessary. I suppose the plasma setting procedure is more complex and it does have many more adjustments. Also, I was a little disappointed to find out the LG does not have a flash player, so the streaming videos can only be done with apps. With the full browser, I was hoping to access the major networks and watch full episodes, but, no luck. I would be interested if someone would post detailed setup adjustments. Often times, the faces appear dirty. I tried all of the picture modes and some reduce the dirty face appearance but I am not happy yet with the sharpness and coloring. I decided to start over and did a factory reset and will spend some more time on it. So far I have about 90 hours on the PX950. Any constructive comments would be appreciated.

I went from a Samsung LCD to an LG Plasma. You'll have to adjust in the beginning to the fact that the Plasma will have a more natural picture than an LCD, with less brightness and overblown color saturation. It wont look as "bright" or "colorful" at first compared to an LCD,but spend more time with it, and you'll love the picture much more than an LCD and won't go back.

Use THX mode for now. It's the easiest way to get a good picture that is semi accurate. Until people post some settings using a calibration disc or get an ISF calibration for themselves, you're kind of on your own until then since the tv is so new.

Also, use Blu-ray to see what the tv can do. Comcast sucks with picture quality.

#31 ·
Wooty and bhazard, thanks for the responses. I probably was used to the brightness and vividness of LCD. I did tend to push those limits. Perhaps I will give it more time and see if I like it better. Sharp has a new 70" LCD set out which is tempting, but they do not have as many apps as LG, at least for now. Thanks again.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrocks /forum/post/20372430

Sharp 88un is less than a year old and a great tv at that... what was your decision to change it?

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrocks /forum/post/20372937

Wooty and bhazard, thanks for the responses. I probably was used to the brightness and vividness of LCD. I did tend to push those limits. Perhaps I will give it more time and see if I like it better. Sharp has a new 70" LCD set out which is tempting, but they do not have as many apps as LG, at least for now. Thanks again.

Are you guys/gals in the U.S. getting LG apps??? Not available in Canada yet. When I try the apps I get a little message saying "available soon"

#34 ·
hi dt. wooty here, of the distaff persuasion :)

have you updated the software? i think i got that message in the beginning, but then some lg apps appeared after i updated via dongle (i'm at version 3.05.05). but don't get excited... the lg apps are pretty dorky. better supposed to be coming soon i hear.

btw: have you tried google maps satellite view in the premium apps yet? quite the hoot.

#35 ·
I have seen this set in Fry's and it has beautiful styling. I put it in THX and blacks didn't look so good, but that could be for any number of reasons. LG's are supposed to calibrate very well and that is what matters to me.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller /forum/post/20369496

Some of those are worst-case scenario pics, with sunlight hitting the screen head-on. Seems to look okay without that head-on exposure. It would be interesting to see how the Panny's and Samsungs handle that level of light as well, but I don't know if we are going to see that.

hi hhal. thanks for reminding folks that some of those were worst case pix. you know, i sort of regret having put them up now because i worry i'm going to scare folks off... but i was trying to be brutally honest. it's not really fair, though, because this set continues to amaze us in daylight... SO much better than we were expecting. i've added more daytime photos to the album today, and hope people won't just judge on the couple of previous shots where i deliberately tried to get as much sun on the set as possible.

hi calvin: i have to say, using THX during the day -- even the THX bright room setting -- doesn't work as well as some other settings during the day (my husband likes the sport setting for daytime; i tend to stick with standard). but at night, you just completely lose yourself in the THX picture. and that's with some ambient light in the room too.

we're going to watch our first 1080p bluray on the set tonight. will try to take some pix to post tomorrow. that, along with some 3D impressions (will see 3D for first time on satuday) will conclude my PZ950 album. forums are justs too addicting :)

#37 ·
Goatse, I like the 88UN but I was looking for a full web browser access with the TV. I was disappointed to discover no flash player. I am now looking at the LC-70E732U. I just saw one at HH Gregg. I think I like LCD better than plasma.

Wooty, I have tried Google Earth. It is a little slow and a little washed out but the size is amazing.

#38 ·
 (Click for larger image)

Here is my 60PZ950
. So far I think it's a bit better than my 60PK750. Definitely brighter, with more pop, and slightly improved blacks. I haven't had time to setup 3D yet, just got my new Onkyo TX-NR609 so I will get that setup soon.

Can't wait for some calibration settings to be available, as this TV needs it. The stock presets aren't very accurate at all. THX looks not only very dark, but also very dull colors. Standard looks decent with 85 Contrast / 53 brightness / 55 color / Warm 30 / all enhancements like Dynamic contrast, noise reduction, etc, all disabled.

#39 ·
hi hor: agree that google earth can be pokey, but the colors seem good. and that size! whole new perspective on places near & far.

hi bio: sweet setup! thank you for sharing a picture.

thank you too for your read on presets & suggestions for improving standard picture mode. very useful.

#40 ·
I forgot, Sharpness needs to be lowered to 50 on Standard. Here is the full list:

Standard:

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 53

Sharpness: 55

Tint: 0

Color: 55

Color Temp: Warm 30 (W30)

Dynamic Contast: Off

Noise Reduction: Off

Dynamic Color: Off

Super Resolution: On

Gamma: Medium

Black Level: Low

Color Gamut: Standard

Edge Enhancer: Off

People experiencing picture issues or aren't satisfied should try these settings for now until a true ISF calibration is posted.

#41 ·
very useful info. we've been very happy with the pre-sets, although i lowered the brightness & contrast a bit just because i'm a little paranoid about the plasma the break-in period. i've read a lot of contradictory things about what to do the first hundred hours, but it's no hardship for us to take it easy to begin.

BUT i do want to try my hand at playing with the settings because i would like to get better daytime THX, if possible. i'll start with the adjustments to standard that you suggest to see what kind of difference it makes on our set. will report back.

thanks again. i am SO happy to have this owner's thread!!!

#43 ·
hi folks. a couple of things.

i now realize that people move back and forth between different forums sites, so you may already have ready this on **************, but, if not:

it's from robert zohn, who will also be kindly providing calibration info at some point on the PZ950.

"LG's PZ950's overall design is very nice. It enjoys the monolithic single sheet of glass with a thin overhanging clear edge with a silver accent on the top side and the price makes it a very excellent value. But the performance lags behind Samsungs D7000 and D8000 and even further behind Panasonic's ST30.

Ultimately every consumer has to make up there own mind on the budget and performance they can accept. Unquestionably, the VT30 clearly stands out as the performance leader in the crowd.

-Robert"

and then in response to question about how/where the PZ950 lags behind:

"Mostly in black level and also in detail. Samsung's D8000 and Panasonic's ST30, GT30 and VT30 have what I would guess is better internal video processing and much deeper black level. If you just look at LG's PZ950 in a lighting controlled room the pq is very good, but once you turn on the D8000 and Panasonic pdps you see what you are missing in the LG.

I need to have the LG perfectly calibrated and evaluated professionally to give you more specific advice on what the differences are between these panels.

-Robert"

that said, as a consumer, i have to say we couldn't love our PZ950 more!

we watched the movie "the fall" last night (wonderful suggestion by sheshechic for our first 1080p blu-ray experience.

dt: you were SO right. i thought the picture we had before was amazing, but the colors on the blu-ray... the fathomless depth & breathtaking definition. well, i'm sockless today: they were all well & truly knocked off. there was a color green i've just never seen before, and the blues! and what an extraordinary movie.

question: you said to set it to 1080p and 24fps. the tv is already set at 1080p. didn't see anywhere to set frames at 24fps. is that on the blu-ray player itself?

tonight will be our first 3D experience. i don't know if i can take much more in terms of sock-knocking

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrocks /forum/post/20376405

dlees, yes I did try the picture wizard and it helped a little.

glad to hear. i'm just starting to get into playing with the picture settings more seriously now. having seen what the set can do with a blu-ray, i'm starting to think that my cable co. signal is seriously shorting me on performance.

do you know if blu-ray overrides the picture settings? i mean, does it matter if the tv is on THX or standard when you're watching a blu-ray?

#45 ·
I own the PX950, and the PZ sounds like it is basically the same tv with more internet options. The same pros and cons might also apply.. such as that the color on this set is going to be just as good as the Panasonic VT, but the black level isn't anywhere as good.

With that said, I along with a few others had my PX950 ISF calibrated. No two calibrations are the same, but see if these settings make your TV any better. You can find the other ISF calibration settings in the PX950 thread. My settings worked best for some people, while other calibrations looked best for others.

Try these and see if they are similar for the PZ

ISF Night mode (Hit 8741 to lock this mode in after calibration. ISF Expert will turn into ISF Day/Night)

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 53

H Sharpness: 50

V Sharpness: 50

Color: 52

Tint: 0

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Noise Reduction: Off

Gamma: High

Black Level: Low

Color Gamut: Standard

Edge Enhancer: Off

Color Temp: Warm

Start with Method= 2 Points

R Contrast: -28

G Contrast: 25

B Contrast: -27

R Brightness: 13

G Brightness: -25

B Brightness: 50

20 Point IRE adjustments

60 Red= -12, Green= 0, Blue= -7

70 Red= -6, Green= 0, Blue= -12

Color Management

Red Color= -14

Red Tint= 0

Green Color= -5

Green Tint= 0

Blue Color= -23

Blue Tint= 0

Yellow Color= 0

Yellow Tint= 6

Cyan Color= 0

Cyan Tint= -5

Magenta Color= -5

Magenta Tint= -1

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooty /forum/post/20376442

glad to hear. i'm just starting to get into playing with the picture settings more seriously now. having seen what the set can do with a blu-ray, i'm starting to think that my cable co. signal is seriously shorting me on performance.

do you know if blu-ray overrides the picture settings? i mean, does it matter if the tv is on THX or standard when you're watching a blu-ray?

Keep it on THX, your blu-ray player will not override the THX.

As for 24p, yes, it's toggled on your blu-ray player settings, on my Sony BX58, it's under 'screen settings'. Your brp might have it in another menu option. To confirm you toggled it correctly you should see an 'INFO' button on your PZ remote, i have the PX950, and on my remote it's all the way down bottom left. Once you press it you'll see if it says 1080/24p or something else, like, 1080/60p.

enjoy your new PZ!

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooty /forum/post/20376442

Yes, the picture settings ALWAYS matter regardless of what source you're watching (cable, bluray, ps3, xbox)

As for 24p, "Film Mode" (found in the advanced picture options) should be Enabled for blu-ray, and Disabled for watching cable or using PS3.

#48 ·
very helpful stuff, as always.

bh: will give this a try. we've over a hundred hours now, so i feel comfortable fiddling around. we have no complaints at all about the picture... except for THX looking a little gloomy during daytime viewing (ditto THX bright room), but i suspect a little fiddling will resolve that.

lefty: info button? ah, yes, i see it now. very good to know. i haven't really looked at the remotes at all, except for the most basic operations. appreciate the tip.

bio: ah, so it does matter. will definitely do as you suggest re film mode. thank you so much.

latest report: we watched our first 3D movie last night. again, i remain sockless. i've never seen another 3D set, so i can't compare, but i honestly thought the PZ950 experience was BETTER than the movies. we saw "despicable me", and actually jumped in response to the screen a few times.

glasses are lightweight and easy to use. need to charge them for a couple of hours when they first arrive via usb. we didn't observe any crosstalk, but did notice that the glasses turned themselves off a couple of times. manual sez they'll do that if you don't move your head: guess we were just so glued to the images on the screen we didn't wiggle much
neither hubby nor i experienced any discomfort/nausea/disorientation whatsoever while watching 3D.

thanks & regards to all.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrocks /forum/post/20384769

I decided to buy the Sharp LC-70LE732U and return the LG 60PZ950. I am definitely not a plasma guy. I got the Sharp set this afternoon and just fired it up. WOW! I am glad I went back to LCD. Thanks again for all your input.

Never heard of someone going back to LCD after plasma. Glad to hear you like your new purchase, but I think I will always be a plasma guy till the LCDs look better. I dont mind the soap opera look, but what Ive found on TVs that are only 120 htz, you see so many blips and glitches in the screen, I find myself looking for them rather than watching the damn movie. Just not as smooth IMO. The 240HTZ ones are nice but really expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.